The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-21-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield How do *you* want it to end?

At the release of RotK, when you sit down in the theater (or cinema) with your popcorn and soda and watch as the movie progresses, what kind of ending do you imagine seeing? Do you want the movie to follow the book exactly and end on Sam and Elanor in Bag End, or do you want it to go completely through the Appendices and eventually end on Legolas and Gimli? Perhaps you've hitten your head with some kind of blunt object and want PJ to take artistic leave, possibly meaning a runaway marriage between Aragorn and Eowyn? Or, better yet, what do you think would be the worst possible way the LotR movie trilagy could end?<P>Personally, I want the ending to be exactly like the book. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I don't see Sam walk into Bag End after Frodo's departure, take Elanor on his lap, and say that one line, Eru knows what I'll do. I'll probably pass out and wake up in a hospital bed a week later. I'm not sure about the Appendices... I don't care for them enough to have them change the ending of the movie. If people really care enough, maybe they'll actually pick up the book and look through the timeline themselves (Eru forbid...).<P>Ok, your turn. Post your desires/fears and share them with the rest of the Downs.
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is a very interesting thread, arianrod , and the question is certainly one I have often pondered. I would strongly dislike an ending that did not include the Grey Havens at all, but since Peter Jackson has assured us that it <I>will</I> in fact end with the Grey Havens, I do not fear a Disney-like ending with Aragorn's crowning. I would very much like to see a bit of the journey on the boat that sets out from the Grey Havens, perhaps even ending with the light of Eressea emerging out of the thick mist and beautiful Elvish music. It would also be nice to have the final scene be Sam taking the journey over the sea. There are so many great possibilities, and I can only hope that Peter Jackson has devoted more thought to the ending than <I>any other aspect</I> of the trilogy.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Tolkien

I have complete trust in Peter Jackson. So far, he hasn't let me down, so I think he'll do a good job of ending it, however he does.<P>I actually think that those mock RotK script pages would truthfully have done the job!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:29 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also have faith on Jackson on this part, but I would end it with Sam returning to his family. I think it's important from a theme perspective.<P>H.C.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:38 PM   #5
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I've been wondering this very thing, and trying to figure it out. Just how far should they go with the ending? Should they show Frodo depart for the Grey Havens, and leave you wondering where everyone else ends up, or show you exactly how they do end up? What will they show about Aragorn and Arwen? I doubt they'll show their deaths. In TTT, they did touch on how Arwen and Aragorn would end if they married. Kinda like looking into the future, I guess. Anyways, I'm interested in seeing how it all ends!<BR>Arwen
Old 09-21-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
Engwaromenion

Shield

I think, because of how much they cut out of the ttt, that in rotk it will beifly show Strider taking the thrown, or just the marriage, and just send everyone who in the books go to the grey heavens to the grey heavens.This is of course after the battle in the shire which will probably only show the Saruman confrentation. and yes, I know I cant spell worth a s***.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:02 PM   #7
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

...the final visit to Bilbo outside the Shire, then Frodo's separation from Sam, Merry and Pippin and attachment to the fading world: Gandalf, Bilbo, Elrond, etc. , the return journey in silence while Frodo makes his in parallel over the waters...then perhaps a glimpse of the Blessed Realm just as Sam arrives home and says, "Well, I'm back!" Just a nice sequence that suggested itself to me...it would be an apt way to show the ending of the Third Age and the beginning of the Fourth in terms of who is leaving and who staying behind. I would imagine Legolas and Gimli to be unobtrusively in the crowd sailing West. <P>Also, for a lagniappe, I would add after the credits, Sam, as an old hobbit, stepping onto the last ship to the West and setting out over the waters....<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<P>P.S. I realize I haven't said anything about Aragorn/Arwen: hmmm...I don't know where I'd put that, except on the tag end with Sam leaving, Aragorn dying, laying himself to rest in the Rath Dinen next to Merry and Pippin, then Arwen laying herself down to die alone on Cerin Amroth...too sad, no, I don't think I want to see that! <p>[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:58 AM   #8
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would imagine after all the separation scenes in the shire that the closing shot would be Gimli and Legolas heading off the visit forests and caves as they were planning.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:51 AM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was once suggested that Galadriel would provide a voice-over epilogue. I think this would be a nice way to end, so we see Elessar's crowning, then she explains in brief (with accompanying shots) the fates of the characters. Then we see in full Frodo et al leaving at the Grey Havens, then we see Sam at the Shire, and the last line is "well, I'm back".
Old 09-22-2003, 05:36 AM   #10
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I for one am not sure whether I want it to end with the 'well, I'm back' scene like the book ends or with the fates of the other characters (Gimli, legolas sailing west, Aragorn, Merry, Pippin dying and being buried next to each other, Arwen on Cerin Amroth, like the appendix tells us). They would both work out fine provided they're done well. What matters to me is that they all go in - no one is left out, so that those who didn't read the book won't wonder: 'Oh, but what happened to X?'<BR>A voiceover by Galadriel would be nice and provide a symmetric end - seeing as the movie began with a voiceover by her.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:50 AM   #11
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I think a way of bringing it all together but still ending as the book does is as follows.<P>A Galadriel voice-over talks of the fates of various characters, leaving out Frodo. It then concludes with something like, "... but as for the Ringbearer ..." and we drift into the content of the Grey Havens chapter. <P>The one thing that you couldn't talk about in this scenerio would be Sam leaving Middle Earth as well because it would give away Frodo leaving. You could deal with that with a bit of text after we fade to black but personally, I wouldn't do it.<P>As I mentioned before, I think it really important, for thematic reasons, to end with Sam returning to his family. PJ has played it loose with characters and plots, but he has demonstrated that he stays true to the themes that he feels are important. I think one of the most important themes is the one of loss and the price of war. That theme is expressed beautifully in the Grey Havens chapter, a chapter Jackson himself has described as his favourite.<P>H.C.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:59 AM   #12
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>his is of course after the battle in the shire which will probably only show the Saruman confrentation. (Engwaromenion)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Welcome to the Downs! I just thought I would clear up for you the fact that the Scouring of the Shire will not take place in the Return of the King movie, and will not even show up in the Extended Edition, as Peter Jackson has not and will not film it.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>then perhaps a glimpse of the Blessed Realm just as Sam arrives home and says, "Well, I'm back."(Lyta)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That sounds like a very good idea. As I said earlier, I would like to see perhaps a brief glimpse of Tol Eressea, even if it was only light through the mist of the sea and the sound of Elven music. If the scene above were done well, it would be beautiful indeed!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #13
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmmm let's see...Sam, it has to end with Sam, because ROTK is his moment to shine! Oh and a quick clip of Faramir nudging Aragorn saying "you might have the kingdom, but I got the prettier girl".
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #14
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think we should stay traditional and keep with the book ending. The way I'd like it is this. We see Frodo sailing away, he says goodbye and as he's looking forward into the mist whilst on the boat he's standing looking reflective and sad, we hear beautiful music, and then we have a Galadriel voiceover and she basically wraps things up, like Aragorn and Arwen, Faramir and Eowyn, Legolas and Gimli and so on. And after the flashbacks and flash-forwards we go to Sam and have a simple but effective ending, with him entering Bag End just like it was in the book, and his famous line, and then the music starts and the credits roll. I think that's the way I'd like it..
Old 09-22-2003, 01:18 PM   #15
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I really want to see the appendicies at the end of the movie. If they are not there, I personally think that I will be kind of dissapointed. But I still want them to end it with Sam though. Additionally I also have an interest about how the appendicies would translate on to the screen.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:16 PM   #16
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My bet is that PJ will tie up all loose ends like Sam and Gimli and Legolas. I think we'd<BR>all like to see the Scourging of the Shire but THAT won't happen. It would be nice to see the Blessed Realm though.
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:33 PM   #17
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...the final visit to Bilbo outside the Shire, then Frodo's separation from Sam, Merry and Pippin and attachment to the fading world: Gandalf, Bilbo, Elrond, etc. , the return journey in silence while Frodo makes his in parallel over the waters...then perhaps a glimpse of the Blessed Realm just as Sam arrives home and says, "Well, I'm back!" Just a nice sequence that suggested itself to me...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, that would be wonderful! Sounds like the perfect ending to me. And a Galadriel voice-over sounds promising; I loved her in the beginning of the Fellowship. <P>*sniffle* All this reading on the ending is making me think about how it will feel to really see the end... To walk out of the theater and know that that's it. What a bitter-sweet day it will be...
Old 09-22-2003, 06:10 PM   #18
Elmirwen

Silmaril

It has been my experience that many of the people who have seen the movies, but haven't read the books, love it but for all the wrong reasons. "Arwen rocks because she is such a tough girl..." it makes me sick! Eyown is shoved into the background for whatever reason, and Aragorn has turned into a player...I understand that it was necessacary to edit some of the scenes (Tom and Goldberry for one), but why did they have to marr Tolkiens larger than life characters? I mean, is our society so jaded that classic liturature has no place in it?<BR>Couldn't thay have sold tickets to the Two Towers without Arwen's "Elvish Lingere" scene?
Old 09-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #19
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I have complete trust in Peter Jackson. So far, he hasn't let me down, so I think he'll do a good job of ending it, however he does.<BR>I actually think that those mock RotK script pages would truthfully have done the job!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was actually thinking of saying something exactly like that, Knight of Gondor, only to come in and find out you had already said it. I wouldn't have known they were mock pages if no one had said...

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:28 PM   #20
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It has been my experience that many of the people who have seen the movies, but haven't read the books, love it but for all the wrong reasons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes! That drives me mad! It's even worse to hear them try and explain what <B>they</B> thought the movie was (is) about. It's pathetic. No, Gandalf is NOT related to Dumbledor! *twitch*<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I understand that it was necessacary to edit some of the scenes (Tom and Goldberry for one), but why did they have to marr Tolkiens larger than life characters? I mean, is our society so jaded that classic liturature has no place in it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Is nothing sacred?! I see what you're saying here, <B>Elmirwen</B> (and welcome to the Downs! ), and I completely agree.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I actually think that those mock RotK script pages would truthfully have done the job!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>When I tried the link for the mock pages, it wouldn't allow me access to the page. Does someone have another link? I'm dying to read them!<P>And it's comforting to hear that Peter Jackson's favorite chapter is the Grey Havens. Since this is one of the most important (and most deffinatly among the most moving) chapters in the book, it's nice to know that it's in the hands of someone who especially loves and respects it.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:55 PM   #21
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I may be wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that many of you are going to be disappointed. <P>Since when did films ever finish by telling the audience the subsequent life stories of each of the characters? The only ones that I can think of are films like <I>Animal House</I> where they have pictures of each of the characters with a comical caption explaining what became of them. Hmm ... perhaps Jackson will do that. I can see it now. A picture of Gimli proudly holding up handfuls of golden locks with the caption *Gimli: Opened up a successful chain of barber shops in Tol Eressea* <P>Seriously, I doubt that most film-goers will be interested in knowing that Legolas built a boat and sailed with Gimli for the Undying Lands. Heck, I didn't even know that they did that until recently, having had a copy of the Book without the Appendices for many years. <P>What really matters is that we see through the stories of the main characters: Aragorn (and, by association, Arwen), Sam and Frodo. We will have the weddding of Aragorn and Arwen (and I suspect that we will only hear that Faramir and Eowyn marry unless there is a double wedding). The final fate of Aragorn and Arwen has already been foreshadowed in TTT, although I suspect that it is likely to be reiterated in RotK. <P>Other than that, we will have the Grey Havens and the final journey of Frodo and the other Ringbearers (preceded, I hope, with a scene or two showing why Frodo can no longer remain in Middle-earth). And I suspect that the film will end as the Book does with Sam saying "Well, I'm back". The screen shot knocking about of Sam scooping his daughter into his arms is likely, I believe, to be the final scene. There may be some final "tying up" narrative by Galadriel, but I strongly doubt that it will go into what happened to each of the characters. Which is right in my view, since I feel that a long drawn out narrative here would destroy the dramatic impact of the final scenes.<P>As I said, though, I may be wrong ...
Old 09-23-2003, 07:42 AM   #22
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I completely agree Saucepan.<P>As for this ...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It has been my experience that many of the people who have seen the movies, but haven't read the books, love it but for all the wrong reasons. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would argue that people that haven't read the books enjoy the movies for all the <B>right</B> reasons. They are not perpetually comparing apples to oranges and pretending that the film would be better if it were more true to the books. Books are books, films are films. For a basis of comparison you should be matching Jackson's films with other films, especially in the fantasy genre. Then you will be comparing apples to apples.<P>Movie fans do this automatically, but many book fans seem to be having trouble with this.<P>H.C.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:41 AM   #23
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Is nothing sacred?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You have no idea how many times I have had that exact thought, Arianrod... most recently concerning another RotK related thread here.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:37 PM   #24
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I am imagining an ending where Galadriel does a voice over like at the begining of the Fellowship. She could explain what happens to each character at the end.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:14 PM   #25
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I would argue that people that haven't read the books enjoy the movies for all the right reasons. They are not perpetually comparing apples to oranges and pretending that the film would be better if it were more true to the books. Books are books, films are films. For a basis of comparison you should be matching Jackson's films with other films, especially in the fantasy genre. Then you will be comparing apples to apples. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I couldn't agree with you more HC.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #26
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well I have heard alot of scary things about what PJ is going to do to the LoTR (Eowen/Aragorn, Gimli's death (nooooooo), Legolas's marrige (to who is my question!)and other things) but I think it should follow the book. A Galadrial over voice would be kinda nice (i like her voice)but Sam's line had better be in there!
Old 09-25-2003, 01:36 PM   #27
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Well I have heard alot of scary things about what PJ is going to do to the LoTR (Eowen/Aragorn, Gimli's death (nooooooo), Legolas's marrige (to who is my question!)and other things) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I don't know where these rumours are coming from but I think every one of these is complete nonsense.<P>H.C.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:03 PM   #28
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For some reason I just can't picture an end... maybe it's because I don't want the story to ever end but.... Almost all of the above mentioned endings would be great. Like most, I really like the idea of the Galadriel voice over; she was the first voice we heard in the movies - why not let her be the last? I really hope they show what happens to the characters and I do think that at least some of the movie goers (besides the fans) will want to know what happens to them. With everyone mentioning having the movie end with Sam's line ah.... it'd be great and I'd really love to see it and I can almost picture it but.... It just seems like the best way to end a movie (don't get me wrong! It's a good way just not the best - in my opinion) I'm more for the ending with Frodo on the boat heading for the Gray Havens - not in the middle of the journey and not at the end - but right when he gets on the boat and it starts to sail away... Ok, I lied - so that's not the best ending to the movie either... Can you tell I'm having trouble here? Gah! I just hope the ending's good enough to give me a good feeling and I'll just leave it at that .

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:45 PM   #29
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Seriously, I doubt that most film-goers will be interested in knowing that Legolas built a boat and sailed with Gimli for the Undying Lands.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you sure? Probably there is a lot of Legolas fans that have not read the book who probably really want to know everything about the life of their favorite blond headed elf. Or maybe it would be best to leave the Legolovers with the idea that Legolas went into the woods and found a little elf madien of his own, instead of them finding out that he just spent the rest of his life with the comic-relief dwarf (sorry Gimli) <P>I do agree with what you said, Saucepan, about other films and them not telling everything that happened to the charaters after the story ended. But the thing is, is that the LOTR films are not other movies, they are special. Most of us (and many other people who don't even post on this site) have developed a very special relationship with these charaters, we care a lot about them. I think with a story of this scope and size it is okay to tell everything, in other tales which are not as big as this one, it is not necessary.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:44 PM   #30
kboleen
Animated Skeleton

kboleen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just hope the movie includes the trip back to the Shire, even if it is a bit expidited. I believe that is important beacause it's just the way the series began. Starting out from the Shire, picking more people up as they go along. ROTK book ends in the same manner. Everyone together heading out with Theoden's body and slowly each group goes about their seperate way until there is just the Hobbits left. This would bookend the series perfectly and give a chance to let the audience know what becomes of the characters. I have a feeling the Scourging will be left out until the ROTK Extended edition. But I do believe the ending will include Grey Havens. I was wailing like a titty-baby when I read the part of the book. They wouldn't dare leave it out.
kboleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:50 AM   #31
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Eggy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

wats really on my mind is weather or not the "dark lord" himself will become physical, i have a funny feeling(which i know means nothing!!) that he will, but i hope he does not.... twould be too scary
Old 09-26-2003, 07:27 AM   #32
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But the thing is, is that the LOTR films are not other movies, they are special. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree, Gorwingel, that the fact that few other films show what becomes of the characters is no reason for RotK not to do so. My doubts over this are more prompted by the fact that a long epilogue by Galadriel that goes into detail about individual characters will significantly lessen the impact of the final scenes. For that reason, I think that it will not happen.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ... slowly each group goes about their seperate way until there is just the Hobbits left. This would bookend the series perfectly and give a chance to let the audience know what becomes of the characters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree that would be a nice way to lead up to the final scens, kboleen. But I fear that it would take up too much screen time, especially if we are shown (or told through narrative) what becomes of each character. I suspect also that it would be difficult to accomplish without seeming "cheesy".<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I have a feeling the Scourging will be left out until the ROTK Extended edition. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but Jackson himself has confirmed that the Scouring was never filmed. All we will ever get to see of this is the vision in Galadriel's mirror.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:10 PM   #33
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but Jackson himself has confirmed that the Scouring was never filmed. All we will ever get to see of this is the vision in Galadriel's mirror.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*sigh* That is a shame. I would have loved to see the Scouring, and I think it's an essential part of the Hobbits' characters; it really shows how drastically they've changed and matured during the war. It will be missed. Hopefully, that's all PJ will feel is neccessary to be left out.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:26 PM   #34
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello everyone. Just stumbled upon this site. Looks good. re this Thread, sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I heard that Kate Blanchet IS doing a prologue. Fran Walsh mentions it on the EE fotr dvd near the start of the director's commentary. They are talking about how they decided on who would do the prolouge and it goes something like: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>We came to Kate at the end because of the aglessness of Elves and the fact that Elrond appears in the Prolouge, he also speaks to it later in the films. <B>It felt apprpriate to us that she would almost bookmark this trilogy by opening it and closing it as she does at the end of part 3 </B> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Cheers
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:17 PM   #35
isatri

Sting

they could end it by first telling how aragorn lived many years as king, and show his death along with merry and pippin, then say "as for the ringbearers..." then go into grey heavens chapter. To tie up sam's story they could just show frodo telling sam that one day he will go west. Then end it with sam's famous last line.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:31 PM   #36
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Homeward Bound and Frodo's unrest in the Shire msut be in...<P>The end-end...The Ring bearers and companions sail from the Grey Havens, and then, like a dream, the world slips away and Frodo sees from afar Valinor and tol Erresea in all their beauty (the seeing of it could come after "Well, I'm back," but I think maybe it would better here).<P>Then it cuts back to Sam, to the fate of one who does not get to go West with the others, but remains behind...Sam entering Bag End, and then...you know.*sniff*<P>I don't want a Galadriel voiceover or seeing the fates of others, because I think it would lessen the impact of those two last images. <P>In fact, I think the ending of some of those charcters would be well done in Many Partings - not endings as in "Gimli went off to Aglarond, and Legolas to Ithilien," but ending as in the last sight of those characters, and we and Frodo know we never will meet them again. That will certianly help that feeling of waking up after a long dream, or falling asleep again, as the Hobbits say when they enter the Shire once more, as one by one all the friends we've seen fall away like autumn leaves... <p>[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: Olorin_TLA ]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:46 PM   #37
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I would imagine after all the separation scenes in the shire that the closing shot would be Gimli and Legolas heading off the visit forests and caves as they were planning. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Now you mention it, I guess that was not in the movies. At least I'm sure that Gimli didn't say anything about the caves. Though I would like to see those scenes. But maybe it's better if it's left to my imagination.<BR>I can't actually think of an end, but I fear that P.J. has done some changes that I can't agree with. I just hope the ring is destroyed as it is in the books. <BR>That's all.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #38
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

******************SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!! ALL OF THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*****************<BR>.<BR>.<BR>. <BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>. <BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>Frodo: The Ring is mine!<P>Sam: Noooooo!!!<P>Frodo: What the - ARWEN?!?!<P>Arwen: The light of the Evenstar does not wax and wane. Aren't I hot? Let's get married!<P>Frodo: Wuh...o-ok...here, have this Ring...wait, n-<P>Arwen: Heeheehee! Now I've got my screentime, i'll make a sudden character change from evil to noble!<BR>*Nobly*I think we understand one another now, Frodo Baggins.<P>[Arwen throws the Ring into the Fire. Sam pushes Gollum in. Aragorn flies in on Winged Nazgu- sorry, "Fell Beasts" and marries Arwen before slaying Sauron in his NEW body and saving the Hobbits.]<P>[Cut to THE GREY HAVENS. The Ringbearers are there.]<P>Gandalf: Well, off we go...I'll just "RING" Valinor to make sure they're ready!<P>Everyone: Hahahahahahaha!<P>[The film freeze-frame swith Everyone looking at the camera with exaggerated poses, grins and thumbs-up/w3rd hands. Britney Spears sings Bilbo's Last Bong, featurin' 50 Cent and the credits roll.]<p>[ November 06, 2003: Message edited by: Olorin_TLA ]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #39
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Olórin, that completely freaked me out... <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Arwen laying herself down to die alone on Cerin Amroth...too sad, no, I don't think I want to see that! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Isn't there a shot of a dead Arwen in the trailer? Or is that just me? <P>However they make the ending, I want it to be as bittersweet as the book. As long as PJ doesn't make it a happy ending for the sake of the non-book audience......but somehow I don't think he will. At least, he had better not.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:45 PM   #40
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

There's just a shot of Arwen lying down, and I definitely don't think that she's on Cerin Amroth. I was always under the impression that she laid down on the grass and died, whereas she is resting on a bed in that shot.<P><BR>I really trust Peter Jackson, and since he's a brilliant director, I do think that he has some artistic license to adjust perspectives.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote