The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2001, 08:28 PM   #1
peregrine
Pile O'Bones

peregrine has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Similarities between the Hobbit and LOTR

I read somewhere that there are similarities of narrative structure between the Hobbit and LOTR. Journeys in small select groups, Rivendell, a journey underground, a mountain at the end. There are probably more (I can't remember). Is this intentional on behalf of the author, or an oversight?
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 03:45 AM   #2
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well...I don't believe that anyone as brilliant as he was would have committed that sort of oversight.
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 05:58 PM   #3
peregrine
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

i agree it's not an oversight. tolkien seemed to plan the narrative structure of his stories well. i just thought it interesting that the two stories have such a similar story structure. If it was deliberate on Tolkien's behalf, or if it was acceptable to him, I wonder what purpose it served?
Old 11-09-2001, 06:03 AM   #4
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Kin-strife has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course when Tolkien began writing lotr he didn't know where he was going with it. He just planned the story as far as Rivendell. No doubt some of the similarities were deliberate, such as the "there and back again" structure, but otheres like the mountain at the end and the journey underground I'd say just hapened as such with no higher purpose.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:12 PM   #5
peregrine
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

Yeh I guess there are more differences than similarities, but the similarities seemed worth mentioning. It's perhaps pointless but interesting nonetheless to wonder what other directions Tolkien could have went in after he resumed writing LOTR. I thought I read somewhere he stopped at the gates of Moria for a year, and had no idea where the story was going, not even who Strider was. When did he decide? When he resumed writing, how much of the complete story as we know it was in his head? How much did he make up as he went along after that?