The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
Sting LOTR Risk

This probably doesn't fit too well in this forum, but it sure doesn't anywhere else, either...

The Parker Brothers' classic RISK is one of my absolute favoritest board games ever, so when I learned that a version featuring Middle-earth and LOTR references was out, I made a number of assorted happy squeakings.

Well, now that I've actually played it... WOW. Is it ever a blast.

Has anyone else played? What do you think of it?
Old 01-21-2003, 01:32 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This topic should be interesting for more than just movie fans, so I'm moving it to the Novices and Newcomers forum.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:39 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Greyhame [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Great topic - you beat me to it! As both a fan of JRRT's works and an avid game player, I was going to start a thread about LotR board games myself.

I was given LotR Risk for Christmas and have only played it once so far. I agree, though, it does seem to be a great take on the original. The adventure cards look like they can really turn things round. I always thought that one of the problems with the original (in a 2 player game anyway) is that, once one player starts winning, it is quite difficult for the other to turn things around. The gameboard is great, although I can't understand why it stops just above Mor-dor.

I have a number of other LotR games, including a very old SPI game (long since out of print) which combines the journey of the Fellowship with a wargame involving the various armies of the War of the Ring. It has a huge and wonderful map/board and great artwork on the cards. The only problem with it is that it is quite predictable because there are only really two ways for the Ringbearer to get into Mor-dor and it always ends up in a fight there before the armies have really got going.

The other LotR game that I like is the recent one where the players play each of the Hobbits as a team, trying to beat the game, and go through the major events of the book. However, we have found it very difficult to beat the game, especially with two people. In fact, we haven't managed yet.

I'd be interested to hear of any other experiences of the various LotR board games. I see that a new one is advertised on the Tolkienworld website, but is only currently available in the US. Anyone know what it's like?

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 01-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #4
Kaze
Haunting Spirit

Kaze has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The gameboard is great, although I can't understand why it stops just above Mor-dor.
There's a note in the little booklet that says that the game only covers the first two movies, so it doesn't go any further into Mordor. I won't argue with it. It's still a fun game.

My only issue with it is that the game ends when the ring leaves the map. I like the original, where the game just keeps going and going and going ... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2003, 06:39 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

... and going ... and going ... and ... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Must remember to read the rulebook properly next time! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Although I seem to remember that the film took us into Ithilien (indeed, rather more than the book!).
Old 02-06-2003, 11:12 PM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

So, noone interested in LotR games then, huh?
Old 02-06-2003, 11:21 PM   #7
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

This interests me but I haven't seen any but the Risk one, too expensive for me and worse, no one to play with. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 10:05 AM   #8
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I've played LOTR Risk once as well, it was interesting. Judging by the board layout, they're probably going to have some sort of expansion set when RotK comes out, which will add a piece of gameboard to the bottom of the map. As far as the gameplay went, the whole quest-based system was interesting and often worthwhile, it gave a direction for you to go often times. And the fact that there's a definite end to the game is a plus, classic Risk always goes on *forever*. However, I think the cards could use a bit more variety, and it really stinks when you're losing bad and can only draw impossible quests.

On the whole, I like LOTR Risk better than classic Risk, but not as well as the modernized Risk 2210 (which I'd recommend to any gamer--that game has a surprising amount of variety and flavor). Looking forward to seeing what a possible expansion brings!
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:15 AM   #9
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

it the best game! i love to play it with my little brother. hes a bit obsessive though cause when no one will play, he plays by himself!

i was dissapointed too when the ring stopped the fun. we normally play with out it so its just like normal risk only with movie quotes thrown in from everyone playing! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Quote:
Judging by the board layout, they're probably going to have some sort of expansion set when RotK comes out
That makes sense, Phrim. I like the fact that the game has a definate end to it and is more about accumulating points than simply wiping out another player or gaining control of a whole region. I agree, though, that a bad run with the cards can make the game unwinnable for the player having the bad run.

Has no-one played the LotR co-operative game? I think it's by Parker Games, so it may only be available in the UK. It is actually a very good game and is based solely on the books. Basically, each player takes the role of one of the Hobbits (including Fatty if there are 5 playing) and must co-operate through various scenarios representing the different stages in the book (represented by Moria, Helms Deep etc). This is done by playing cards (characters and items) to make it along different paths so as to finish the scenario before being overtaken by events. At the same time, there is a separate track with Sauron starting at one end and the Hobbits at the other. As the game progresses various events (such as using the Ring) cause them to move towards each other (representing Sauron's increasing influence and the Hobbits being overtaken by darkness). If Sauron and the Ringbearer meet the game is over. The aim is (of course) to get the Ring to Mount Doom and throw it in before this happens.

It is an extremely enjoyable game, and very different in that the players work together to beat the game rather than playing against each other. The only problem is it is very difficult to get anywhere near Mount Doom before Sauron prevails (especially with only two players).

Has anyone else played this game? If so, has anyone managed to beat it? We haven't, yet. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 06:18 PM   #11
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Hello All,
I have not neither heard of this game nor have I heard of it [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I would how ever love to play it. Must you order it online or can you buy it at WAL*MART? Any info is great you can PM me instead of posting. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I will then be back to post after I have played it!!
Thankyou, -(~<~> Yavanna
Old 02-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Yavanna, the game is available in most game shops in the UK, but I don't know about the states. It is available on-line. I found one website stocking it here

I certainly would recommend it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 02-07-2003, 07:18 PM   #13
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Saucepan Man, I've seen people playing the cooperative LOTR game, but I don't really have much interest in it. As a gamer I vastly prefer playing against other human beings, not against the game itself. And I'd rather create my own strategies as opposed to having to work as some sort of team. But I guess that's just my personal preference, I've heard others say that the game is very good.

Yavanna, the LOTR Risk game should be fairly easy to find, I'd try places that tend to have a wide selection of board games (like a Toys R Us) or perhaps a specialty gaming store (like a Wizards of the Coast). If worse comes to worst, Amazon.COM stocks it.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 07:39 PM   #14
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think that it would be neat to play LOTR RISK is it a lot like regular RISK??? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 04:09 PM   #15
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Saucepan Man: I haven't played the cooperative version you have described. However, I was given a different LOTR cooperative game for Christmas last year and the promise to have the TTT version this Christmas (we shall see). They link together, and presumably also connect to the future ROTK version. Anyway, it is similar to what you described. Each player moves one (doesn't matter which one, which often leads to one character, usually the best one, having to wait up for all the others) of the "good guys" each turn and can collect cards that give abilities and decide which paths are taken. Instead of Sauron following you, the Nazgul chase you around for a while, the Balrog claims Gandalf, Boromir has a run-in with Lurtz, and you have to deal with various orcs along the way (yes, it is based on the movies). It is a fun game and enjoyable. It is rather predictable and one character inevitably becomes the favorite and is made better than all the other and used more frequently. But it is still fun to re-live the story and share that experience with your friends.

P.S. this particular cooperative game also has an individual aspect to it. Each "decision" card that you personally draw, regardless of the character you choose at the moment, gives you good (positive) or evil (negative) points depending on if (by roll of the dye) you chose the right decision or not. The person with the highest positive number of points at the end of the game wins.

P.P.S. As a strategy game lover, I'll have to check out LOTR Risk!

[ September 15, 2003: Message edited by: aragornreborn ]
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:05 PM   #16
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I have only just got into Risk (as a result of my friend's decision to purchase it) and I have become slightly obsessed with it recently.

I have played the game twice with two friends. We play until one of us is wiped out, not with the Ring. I mean, who wants to stop a game that's only just getting started? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have won both games. For my victories I thank Elbereth as I play as the Green army whereas my friends play as the two Orcish armies.

The one thing I don't particularly like about the game is the points system which determines the winner. Take the following scenario;

At the end of the game I had:

- Double the number of territories as my friend

- Around double the number of battalions on the board

- Far more strongholds

- Three complete regions compared with my friend's zero.

Yet we STILL finished on equal points and had to take the game into sudden death (no-one really wanted to accept a draw!)

Nevertheless, its a glorious game. I especially love telling tales of how the two Elves of Lorien defended their land against foes of over 5 times their number. Or indeed the collossal battle of Fangorn Forest, in which billions of Orcs ravaged the Elven army.

Sorry, I could go on for a very long time yet! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 05:01 PM   #17
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Saucepan Man - Ooh, the cooperative game with five hobbits! I've played that, and liked it a lot (this is the one that comes with the Sauron expansion pack, right?). We don't own it, but one of our friends does, and brings it over frequently. So far we've made it roughly a third of the time, though we do put Sauron as far along in that power grid set of lines as we can. Since each hobbit has different talents, we draw hobbit cards randomly; I usually end up as Sam, for some reason. Highly recommended. And it is available in the US, at least in the Chicago north suburbs, in case anyone is curious.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #18
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My brother got LotR Risk for Christmas, so we played it before I had to go back to school. I thought it was terrific, even though I missed having Gondor and Mordor on the map and even though my brother ended up destroying me (and I was doing so well in the beginning!). We also have LotR chess and LotR Monopoly (which was one of my Chrsitmas presents). I haven't played that yet but it looks so fun, especially with the little situation cards (in regular Monopoly they have "Chance" and "Community Chest", I think - in LotR Monopoly they have little situations like "Faramir had a change of heart. Get out of jail free").

Then again, everything that has even the remotest LotR theme to it makes me giddy with excitement. So perhaps I'm not the most objective person to ask.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:42 PM   #19
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
So far we've made it roughly a third of the time, though we do put Sauron as far along in that power grid set of lines as we can.
So do we, and we have still never managed to destroy the Ring. But I think that it's a lot harder with only two playing. We've given up playing it recently through lack of success. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

We haven't played the game with the "Sauron Expansion Set" yet, although we have played it with the "Foes Expansion Set". Which adds to the excitement but, if anything, makes it more difficult. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

We haven't played LotR Risk for a while either since, as with standard Risk, once one player (in a 2 player game) gains the upper hand, it is pretty difficult for the other player to turn things around. Although the Event Cards in the LotR version can make a big difference.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:13 AM   #20
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I own this game, but one thing I've never figured out even though i've read the instructions many times

K you can redeploy after combat as many battalions as you wish to whereever as long as there is no mountains river or enemy team in your way right?

So what's with the redeployment adventure card that says you can redeploy 3 of your troops when you play the card, at the END of your turn...I mean it would make sense if it didn't say at the end, and you could do it during combat...is that how you use it...or do you take it as you can redeploy anywhere whether there's a mountain or enemy team in you way or not? Or what? lol.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:14 PM   #21
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
K you can redeploy after combat as many battalions as you wish to whereever as long as there is no mountains river or enemy team in your way right?
No, as in standard Risk, you can only redeploy battalions from one territory to another (provided that they are connected by "friendly" territories).

As I recall, the redeployment card in LotR Risk allows you to redeploy battalions from three different territories.

While I'm here, I thought I'd mention a few other Tolkien-based games that I have. First, The Hobbit, unsurprisingly based on Bilbo's adventures, where you have to travel to the Lonely Mountain gaining weapons items, allies and experience (through adventures, riddle-solving etc) to enable you to steal jewels from Smaug's hoard. It's really a children's game, but it's quite fun. And then there's The Search, which is a 2 player game (Frodo and Sam) involving the placement of tiles and the collection of various LotR characters and items, finishing with a race to Mount Doom. Anyone else come across these?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:50 AM   #22
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

okay thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] that makes sense now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2004, 03:34 AM   #23
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, as part of our GCSE Graphics course, my friend and I have to desing and make our own board games. Can you guess what we're basing them on? My friend is doing a thing with the fellowship and is has a really cool Mount Doom standing out from the board and I think it's very much like the book is.

Mine is loosely based on The Hobbit and you play Gandalf and have to get your band of Dwarves and Hobbit together, but you're playing against other Gandalfs (I said it was only loosely based) and they can steal your dwarves and I think it might be very complicated, but that's not what's assessed so it doesn't really matter. Neither of us have really honed the finer points of our games anyway.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:49 PM   #24
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

A friend had found that one at a yard sale and we tried it out. It's was in good condition. Except for one thing, Frodo's arm was missing. Very ironic. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But it was fun. She had played it before with her boyfriend and had gotten to know the game before we did, and she(as Pippin) ended being the winning ringbearer. It was amusing fun. We protested, a lot. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] *snort* Especially when Frodo was going toward the dark side with the Ring. Many jokes were being made about said hobbit being a Dark Lord of Sith...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:59 AM January 28, 2004: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]
Old 01-28-2004, 12:17 AM   #25
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I'm a lotr obsessor, but in Korea, the chances of getting lotr board games - 0% at best.

Is there a computer game or something that I can download free fromt he internet?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:32 AM   #26
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't have the LOTR Risk game (I have never played the regular Risk before), but I did just get the LOTR edition of Monopoly. Which even though it sounds like it would be quite weird, is actually a pretty cool game. They of course have made some changes too it... Like the most valuable property is Mt. Doom, the traditional game pieces have been replaced by characters from the films, and instead of railroads, you have all the main horses from the films [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Oh, and has anyone hear heard of the LOTR Pinball yet (this is game related)...
Oh my Gosh! I want it so badly! But it is way out of my price range at over $4000!

Here is the link to the site about it...
LOTR Pinball

If anyone has seen it, or played it, please tell?
It looks like a great and wonderful game [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 08:15 PM   #27
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

whoa....That pinball game is cool. Alas, it shall have to wait till I'm rich and famous. Like that's ever going to happen. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I personally want the LOTR trivial pursuit. Anyone played that one?