The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2002, 05:32 PM   #41
Kaze
Haunting Spirit

Kaze has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've got a cat called Mithwen! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Named here on these very message boards. (Not that my little sister can remember the name. She calls it 'Oot'.)
Old 11-01-2002, 05:35 PM   #42
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Well, my nickname is Sam! (my real name is Samantha, but don't tell anyone [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 09:30 PM   #43
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I haven't named my daughter after LotR but I often refer to her as my hobbit.
I have 3 African clawed water frogs named Gollum, Smeagal and Deagel, the names fit them very well. We have a newly rescued kitten my daughter loves named Frodo and I occasionally foster animal so now i name them atleast temporarily after LotR. we have a Merry, Pippin, and Arwen.(all girls)
Old 11-01-2002, 09:52 PM   #44
Alcerin
Pile O'Bones

Alcerin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

i dont have any real pets named after the characters, but i have a "pet" at neopets.com named Frodo_Merry_Pippin [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

~John 11:35~
Alcerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:20 PM   #45
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Tolkien

7 of my cats are named after Lotr they are
samwize, pippin, gandalf, legolas, gollum, arwen, precious. and i just got another turtle and named it bilbo, and a prarie dog named frodo... the rest of my pets arent named after lotr on accounta i got them before i read lotr
Old 11-02-2002, 08:28 AM   #46
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Well, you certainly have a lot of animals! I'm allergic to just about everything, so we can't have any inside pets. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] When I move out, (in like 2 years [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ), I'm going to get a hamster, though. Yay! I'll probably name it after someone in LOTR, but I'm not sure who.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:29 AM   #47
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I only have a dog and as she's an Icelandic Sheepdog we gave her an Icelandic name, but I love cats and I want four cats so that I can name them Pippin, Sam, Frodo and Merry.
Quote:
If I have a daugter I could name her Tinuviel and just call her Tina for short.
That's a good idea! And Laurelin is also good, it'll be Laura for short. There's so many beautiful Elvish names! Irene doesn't sound so interesting any more.. That was what I've wanted to name my daughter, if I even get one, name her after my mum.

Oh, one more thing. My name translated into Sindarin means Hiriel, so I often call myself Hiriel Vanwalossien. I've written that instead of my real name on papers I've handed in, and my teacher understand that it's me!

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]
Old 01-06-2003, 09:57 PM   #48
FarathrimMaiden
Pile O'Bones

FarathrimMaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well i wanna put my two cents in on this topic---

i have a horse named shadowfax (but he doesnt look anything like him)

my parents had a dog named pippen before i was born

I would name my daughter Rose, Lorien, or a normalish sounding elf name (so they dont hate me and lotr cuz that would suck)

I would name a son Sam or umm well thats the only one i would go with...but i would name him something like John or Christopher (Tolkien)
or i might name him after an actor in the lord of the rings( for example name him elijah instead of frodo so as to draw less attention to him, or Sean instead of Boromir, or Billy or Dominic those would all work)

*Frodo most certainly does live.*

"Will you look into my mirror?"
"What will I see?"
FarathrimMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:59 AM   #49
Peacepoet

Sting

I do not have any pets that are named after LoTR characters. As for my children, I call my youngest Hobbit because of his small size and his habit of wanting two breakfasts a day.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:25 PM   #50
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

We are getting a golden cat, and planning to call it Smaug The Golden....Smaug for short. All my rabbits are named after Alcohol....don't know why.

As far as childrens names go I might name my daughter with some elvish name or call he Arien because I love that name but not my son because there arn't many that sound good without sounding too weird, imagine calling him Finarfin or Legolas...it dosn't really work. Maybe Sam....

I know a girl called Starlina Varda Chase, which is kinda nice and I also know a girl called Arwen, but she gets teased a lot know since the movie has come out...I don't see why though I love the name.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:03 AM   #51
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wanted to name my children (Whenever I had them) either: Frodo, Eowyn, Merry (with an I!!) or Ron (from Harry Potter), but when I told my best friend, he said they'd probably hate me for the rest of my life.

We'll see if Tolkien is still 'cool' by the time I have kids [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #52
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't have a LOTR named pet, my dogs drummer and my squirrel is rabbies! don't know why!

If i ever find a husband that understands this LOTR thing and then have children... I'd love to follow elven tradition. The father names the child at birth, the mother later called the name of foresight. So then on the birth certificate the child could be Sarah but for school i'd get to name her! Probably would depend on the look and temper of the child. But i love the name Elwen, Dufea, Dulin, and other ones i forget! that's Star maiden, night spirit and dusk singer! I don't think i'd name them after main characters like Merry or frodo and difinately not Legolas! I would consider a elven boys name though, i never thought of one!

But of course i'm mad cause i'm also considering following elven practise as regards to engagment and marriage, i loved that essay!!

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 01-08-2003, 12:42 PM   #53
Deathless One

Sting

I got all my pets before I ever read the books. I love LotR but I don't know if I'd go so far as to name my children with any of those names. I call my cousin a hobbit because he eats all day long. One of my uncles has named every dog he's ever owned with names from the book-Gandalf, Frodo, and Bilbo. I had a friend with a horse named Shadowfax.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:17 PM   #54
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read a story on the internet about this guy who cashed one of those fake checks you get in the mail sometimes, and his cat was called Hobbit.

I have a pet rat called Aragorn, and my friend has two rats called Arwen and Éowyn.

For a child...hmm I don't know, I think I might choose something like Elentari, although I like the name Galadriel.

Edit: my next door neighbour had a dog called Brego before I knew her.

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Airerûthiel ]
Old 01-08-2003, 01:26 PM   #55
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My kids are gonna be called Brego, Anarchy, and Illia, or Luthien, Beren, Elendil
and yes, Brego for a girl or a boy [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 02:13 PM   #56
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I had a Bala shark that I kept in a tank at work that I named Lorien. I loved her, but alas, she is gone to that great fishy place in the........toilet (thought I was going to say sky, didn't ya?!) I have two parakeets at home, one is Gandalf, the other is Merlin. I have two cats that I had before my LotR days, they are Bo and Jesse. My husband and I are considering getting a dog and we have been debating about some good names. Any ideas? It will be a black (chocolate) lab.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:18 PM   #57
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with the people who lean towards the lesser-known Tolkien names. I haven't had any Middle Earth related pets, but I like the idea of something not too strange, and not too obvious either.

I have always thought I'd like to name a daughter Elanor, but I've got used to using that name for myself now, both here and on other websites. So it might feel a bit strange to call a daughter that. I also like Teleri as a name for a daughter. Where I grew up (Wales) there were several girls called Eleri, so Teleri wouldn't be that different, just enough to have that Elvish ring to it.

I also like the name Elrond for a cat - he would have to be a very elegant and noble cat, no scratching!

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Elanor ]
Old 01-08-2003, 02:23 PM   #58
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

If I would have gotten into Tolkien earlier, my dog would have been named Frodo. But I know, I will have a dog named Frodo in the future.

At my school I know a boy named Pippin and he has a brother named Sam. And one day after my Biology teacher had seen FOTR, he brought that up. That they had the same names as two of the Hobbits.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #59
Nibinlondwen
Pile O'Bones

Nibinlondwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I have a pile of dust, i call him "sauron-under-my bed" and we have dog, i wanted to name it Huor. but his name is Grim. I accepted it cuz it was kinda related to Grima.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:38 PM   #60
Legolas'Beloved
Pile O'Bones

Legolas'Beloved has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Legolas'Beloved
Silmaril

I like the name Tinuviel for a kid. I have cats right now but none of them are from the Lord of the Rings. But one of my cats are about to have kittens so naming them from characters from LotR is a good idea. Hopefully, she'll have enough. I wouldn't know which ones to names them after. Probably Legolas, Merry, Pippin, Sam, Frodo, Strider, and then Gimli.
Legolas'Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:40 PM   #61
Konarmi
Pile O'Bones

Konarmi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I named my dog, Dawson.. after Dawson's Creek b/c she would **** herself when she got scared.. when I get my next dog.. I'm going to name him Legolas or Aragorn.. or maybe Gandalf.I named my dog, Dawson.. after Dawson's Creek b/c she would **** herself when she got scared.. when I get my next dog.. I'm going to name him Legolas or Aragorn.. or maybe Gandalf.
Konarmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 07:31 PM   #62
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've got a cat named Sam,but we're his servents,he does eat six times a day though(he's a white cat,must be part siamese,he can MEAOOOOWWWAAAYYAAAAAAAW when he wants to)

I think Luthien would be nice for a girls name,and I don't care what people think,Merlin would make a good boy's name
excheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 07:53 PM   #63
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
I love the name Tinuviel its soo beautiful! But I bet if I were born with that name I would really hate it, like I hate mine now.
The dog I have now is named Shadow, but I like to call him Shadowfax [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I might be getting another dog, not sure what I'd call him/her. Maybe Frodo or Bilbo, but Sauron is pretty cool too. Feanor might be nice too
"Feanor, feanor, here boy!' LOL [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2003, 12:49 PM   #64
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My string quartet is called: The Valinor String Quartet.
My dad named his french horn Gandalf, my aunt had two cats named Frodo and Bilbo, and my uncle called his 1976 Cougar Gollum.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:35 PM   #65
Alaggaeriel
Animated Skeleton

Alaggaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I had a betta with long whiteish-yellow fins that I named Legolas. He looked like he had flowing blond "hair". But alas, he commited fishy sucicide. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I wanted to name our new female cat something from lotr but my family protested so much that I settled on Willow. I have a new betta thats dark blue with orange streaky fins. He looks like a sunset and right now I'm calling him Dusk until I can pick out an elvish name for him. My 5 Basset Hounds are all named after flowers(not my idea!). [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2003, 04:14 PM   #66
Eldawen of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Eldawen of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My mom used to have two rabbits named Gandalf and Bilbo. My brother named his rabbit Gandalf because Gandalf is his favorite LotR character. I will have to give my next pet a LotR name.
Eldawen of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #67
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

thalioniathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wanted to name my new car but couldn't find a name that seemed to fit. some friends and I were joking around and entering stuff into the name generator here and one person came up with the combination Tater Fish, which brought up some interesting results. but I got such a big kick out of Tater Fish that I decided to call my car Tater Fish. before that I was thinking about PoTaTo, like the way Sam says it to Gollum, or also Fish, just cuz of the incongruity of calling a car Fish. but Tater Fish is the silliest and funniest and I just like it a lot. <grin>
thalioniathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #68
Evenstar1069
Pile O'Bones

Evenstar1069 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My friends nephew is named Strider! I was so amazed when I found out. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]