The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2002, 10:50 AM   #1
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
How did you end up here?

Hi was reading a tread that was thanking B-W for his services and I began to wander How I stranded on this Island of pure wonder. It's a funny story really.

I was searching pic's of Legolas on Google.com(I know not very manly but he rulez)when I stumbled onto this drawing of him. Google users may know that the site where the pic comes from is stated underneeth the pic so I wandered what it was. I looked at several drawings when I realized there was more than just drawings. (for the not so smart people that site with pic's was the Barrow-Downs)

So now that is out of My bucket, wat's your story?

How did you end up here?
________
CHRYSLER PT CRUISER

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:01 PM   #2
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

About the same way you did. My roommate and I were looking up those Foxtrot cartoons that came out at the time of the Fellowship and I came across the Barrow-Downs in my search. I wandered about for a bit and found a site I fell totally head over hills for. I had never done a search for Tolkien online and didn't know I could find such good things and good people as well. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]
Old 12-19-2002, 12:20 PM   #3
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me it was pure luck and I happened to make a mistake in a search (I cant remember what for) and I wound up here in heaven
Old 12-19-2002, 12:31 PM   #4
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I believe I was searching the internet for LOTR name generators, and I ended up at the Barrow Downs website. After playing around on the generators, I stumbled across the forums, and..here I am. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2002, 01:42 PM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I did a search for Lord of the Rings sites. Well, you know what these things can turn out like. If you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. A place called the Barrowdowns, by the looks of things.

Last edited by Meela; 09-12-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 01:48 PM   #6
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hahahahahahahahaha I like your sig. Meela, but what Isildur do you mean? A Barrow Downer or the real Isildur? Or is it not a quote?
________
Ford Taunus Specifications

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:50 PM   #7
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

I got here by looking for it. I was considering joining a LotR forum for a while...this just was the one that popped out at me.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:50 PM   #8
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I got hit over the head several times by a fellow BD until I tried the site! When I first heard of it the name put me off, I mean barrow-downs are evil places. And having just read that bit, which really scared me(don't ever read that chapter in the middle of a field at 2 in the morning) I wasn't keen to join but as soon as I looked around I had to! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

It's sooooo nice to have people understand you!!!

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-19-2002, 03:17 PM   #9
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My story is the same as most others here. I was looking for pictures actually from the movie on askjeeves, and they gave me this link. That was about 7 months ago.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:28 PM   #10
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ummm, my story is exactly like DarkRose's. Weird... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2002, 03:51 PM   #11
Scattergold

Thumbs up

I just arrived here about 10 minutes ago via the Encyclopedia of Arda [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So far so good!!
Old 12-19-2002, 04:38 PM   #12
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

When I first signed up for EZboard, I searched for Tolkien related sites and found this one. Ahhh the Downs, my souldmate. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:55 PM   #13
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I friend of me told me about this site because of the namegenerator... Well, I browsed the forum a few times, and there was Veritas [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Later I've been visiting the chat more. Although lately there are tons of screaming fun girls there *sigh*...
Venerunt Quererunt Fugerunt.

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Veritas ]
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:43 PM   #14
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I got an email from a friend who loved LOTR as much as I, and she told me her Elvish name. I asked her where she got it and I came here! I discovered the forums reading through fanfiction and finding the Rohan RPG. I clicked on the link to see the RPG, and I came to the forums. So, if there were some poll or something where you had to say how you found the Barrow-Downs, it would be 'From A Friend.' [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

EDIT: I forgot to mention. Welcome to the Downs, Scattergold!

~Nurumaiel, or just Nuru

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 12-19-2002, 06:24 PM   #15
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I was looking for a site dedicated to The Barrow Downs, my favorite part of the book. Well, I kept finding site that gave like a one-sentence definition of The Barrow Downs. I went to this site and looked around in the forum. You might think that I would be dissapointed, finding yet another site that doesn't really live up to its name. But actually I realized I could talk about ME all the time and I love it. I wasn't dissapointed at all. Although I'm still looking for a site really about the Barrow Downs, I find myself here a lot. I think that I've been here so much that I feel I've been here for years, even though I registered last November.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:05 PM   #16
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I was looking for movie information (especially movie/book comparisons) around the time that FOTR came out, and one of the links that popped up was to a thread in the movie forum. Oddly enough I don't remember which thread it was [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. But I did stay to look over the whole Barrow-Downs forum and loved it since it wasn't just drooling over movie characters or only for people who had read the Sil 15 times; it had something for every mood (sorry to be gushy). I lurked for about three months and then joined (I only belong to 2 internet forums total, I like to sleep on these things). It's been fun [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 12-20-2002, 12:22 AM   #17
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

"Candle of the Marshes"... we likes it, yeessss, we likes it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I honestly don't really remember how I found my way here. I think it was from a links page on another site... it was probably along the path of my endless pursuit of Tolkien knowledge after seeing the first film.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 03:02 AM   #18
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Let me see..

Oh, yes.. One and a half year ago I was a Harry Potter-freak (though I had read LotR and liked it, it was still HP that was my major interest). I used to hang out on a fun Hogwarts-site, and many of the people there was (apart from being HP-fanatics) LotR-fans. So, one day when we were chatting along, some of the 'teachers' gave me the link to the name-generators.. I played around with them alot, went here some times during the following months, took a look into the forum and the chat, and finally signed up in December last year.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:35 AM   #19
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I found my way here from TORN about a year ago, and after looking at several of the sections over time, decided to join. I like all discussions of Tolkien's work, as well as the silly parts of the site.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:53 AM   #20
mordol

Sting

I was searching for a LOTR encyclopedia, best thing I ever did was find the Barrow Downs one
Old 12-20-2002, 04:37 AM   #21
mary_lou

Thumbs up

Err... I started my message boarding career as a strict Star Wars, nothing else girl, then some people on one of the forums got me interested in LOTR, I started looking for a copy of the LOTR script for a fanfic, got onto a site, accidently clicked on the link to here, and here I am! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 01:36 PM   #22
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also try to look here. It was started a long time ago but has been posted on pretty recently.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:16 PM   #23
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Silmaril

Like many of you, I followed the route of searching for a LOTR name generator. I poked around there for awhile typing in all my frinds names and then I clicked on forum on a whim. And now I'm here. I'm also proud to say that I have gotten 3 more of my friends addicted to the BD.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:38 AM   #24
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

engwaalphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After reading the hobbit when I was 9 or 10 , I never realised until I was older that Lord of the Rings concerned middle earth also. So when I read LOTR , Sim , HOME etc i started to become much more interested in ME , Tolkien and his characters. I was aimlessly wandering the net one day when i decided to find an elven name and behold I found the barrowdowns! I vistited to read articles , play the games etc but didn't join for quite some time (everyone seemed so intelligent!) Then one day i did ! and voila!

"Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
engwaalphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:19 AM   #25
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There was this kid on my school bus, and he wouldn't stop talking about LOTR. And he just kept talking about Barow-Downs.com. I had read FOTR, so I decided to go to the site. Ta-Daaaa!
Old 12-21-2002, 10:26 AM   #26
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My friend (ElentariGreenleaf) came here and sent me her Mad libs (which, may I add, didn't make any sense whatsoever) when I finally worked out what a 'Mad Lib' was I came here and did a few of my own, I got bored with that and progressed to the rest of the games (hanghobbit mostly [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]) then onto the fanfics and finally here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2002, 12:02 PM   #27
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm just another in the 'I also want an Elvish name'-category. My friend found this site (I think she heard of it from her sister) and she told me I could get an Elvish name there. By pure chance I happened to take a look at the forum and voila *watches her social life blow away like leaves in a storm*
Old 12-23-2002, 12:37 AM   #28
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I was just searching about anything I could about Lord of the Rings and stuff and I just came upon here. I think the art section and all the games on the main site are wonderful, and I would just read in the forums what all the fellow fans were talking about.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:50 AM   #29
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Ring

There was a craze on Orlando Bloom in our school [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] , and people were looking on the main site, so I went along one day and started checking all the bits of it out, and voila! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 12:25 PM   #30
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmmm. I may have seen a like somewhere..... oh that's it. Someone linked me to the personality thingy on the main site and I was looking around and I saw "forums" and I love forums [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] so I just thought i'd take a look, and then i kinda registered.... an here i am.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:16 PM   #31
Celebrodiel

Silmaril

I came here to find out my Elvish name, and came across the forum button. So here I am!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 01:53 PM   #32
Maylin Talese
Pile O'Bones

Maylin Talese has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it started with the Lapas Strosh, the Eternal Storm....my ship drifted to close to it, next thing I knew, I was dead...
**just kidding**

I was searching for something about Sam, I think, and I stumbled on to it.
Maylin Talese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:03 PM   #33
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

HAHAHAHAHA liked that one Maylin Talese.

Hey what do you know this can maybe become a tread that will be larger thatn one page. Yes I finnaly made it.

Keep posting people.
________
Honda crf230

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:42 AM   #34
Thor
Pile O'Bones

Thor has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I ended up here after having a link emailed for the Barrow-Downs name generator... Sound familiar anyone? Anyway, love all the talk about the movies - it's great to hear what all those like-minded people think (and unlike-minded [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). Can't tell you all what a relief to find people who love nit-picking like me!!
Old 01-12-2003, 09:39 AM   #35
redshelob

Silmaril

My story is similar. I wandered by, lurked, and decided to stay. But unlike many here, I read the books before most of you were born. Before terms like "nerd" or "geek" were used. Peter Jackson is a hero. Tolkien is forever. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 10:55 AM   #36
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dear redshellob

Darn you, if you would have only said Tolkien Forever a few years ago he would still be alive.

Ahw well, we all go wen out time comes.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Charmant

Old 01-12-2003, 01:07 PM   #37
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Yet another person who came to the site for the name generator.... But once I was done with that, I started to search around the site and came to the forums. I had never been to a LOTR related messageboard before, and I was really impressed, so I joined. I'm glad this was the first messageboard I saw, because in my opion, its still the best.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 01:11 PM   #38
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Greetings all,

Hm I gues the Forum page is some sort of sucking gap that will keep you locked inside of him forever.

But then again, maybe not.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Csi: ny dicussion

Old 01-23-2003, 10:47 PM   #39
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I think I was looking for LOTR related sites and I just randomly clicked on the Barrowdowns. I took the personality test and it told me I was Aragorn! Yay! Anyway, I was hooked. I got my name, and then I found the forum. And here I am...
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:49 AM   #40
zacattack
Haunting Spirit

zacattack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I asked one of my freinds were they got their personality tests and they said at the BarrowDowns so here I am
zacattack is offline   Reply With Quote