The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #2601
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Oh well I only joined a little over a year ago. . .but your avy + name looks familar.

Anyways it is always nice to see people return to BD, I hope you will find that everything is as good as it was.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #2602
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athrasuriel
I apologise for not posting for a while.

I've used the name in fluff and RP on 'The Desert Sands' & 'The White Counsel'

Hmmm..... not familiar with any of those, but I think I have it. I haven't been in my sindar papers for a long time and I mixed your name up with "Eraisuithon" Don'y ask me why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Oh well I only joined a little over a year ago. . .but your avy + name looks familar.

Anyways it is always nice to see people return to BD, I hope you will find that everything is as good as it was.
I think it is, I just wish there was a little more activity going on. Nice to be back though

-Beleg

Quis ut Deus

Last edited by Beleg Cuthalion; 11-19-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #2603
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Beleg -

Nice to meet 'cha! I only joined/died a few months ago, but I'm already pretty attached to this place...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #2604
Tarpaladin
Pile O'Bones

Tarpaladin has just left Hobbiton.
Just thought I'd pop my head around the corner Eruchain and say hello. Discovered the site about twenty minutes ago and have made a few posts.

Well.... hello. *puts head back round corner*
Tarpaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #2605
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome, Tarpaladin.

You may now take some beans* from the pot.

*These are, of course, only metaphorical beans of shadow that may or may not enable you to fly... possibly.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #2606
OrcLeaderalpha

After a month-long ban, the Barrow-Wight has graciously given me a second chance. Hopefully, noone can figure out my password this time...
Old 11-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #2607
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i'm guessing its 12345

welcome back orcleaderalpha and welcoem tarpaladin
Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #2608
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
i'm guessing its 12345
(quoting from memory and translating from Spanish from the movie "Space Balls")

12345? that sounds like a password dumb people put on their suitcase locks.

*Farael walks in*
So the password is 12345? just like my suitcase!

Edit: Sorry, that was way too off-topic. Might as well say hello and wish a warm welcome to all of the newbies.

A word of advice, don't feel intimidated by the "old" posters, they are very friendly!!! Even if they write in a long-winded, really formal way sometimes.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 AM   #2609
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome back, Mr Leader.

Now you're out of the red rep zone.

Let's hope your time here is good.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:29 AM   #2610
frodo1021

hi
Old 11-20-2006, 06:59 AM   #2611
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1021
hi
Hello to you.
According to your rep level, you 'should be cast into the void'. I've never seen that before.

All the same:

Old 11-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #2612
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Hello to you.
According to your rep level, you 'should be cast into the void'. I've never seen that before.

All the same:

If you look at his posts (of course I'm sure you did already) it looks like he'll soon be in the void.

Quis ut Deus

Last edited by Beleg Cuthalion; 11-20-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #2613
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Hello to you.
Then it must be very rare to achieve something that low...

Anyway, hopefully you have cleaned up, frodo1021, and you can contribute some good things here. welcome back.

By the way, Beleg , where do you get those unique smilies? They're pretty neat...
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #2614
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
By the way, Beleg , where do you get those unique smilies? They're pretty neat...
PM'd it to you.

Quis ut Deus
Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 AM   #2615
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome Tarpaladin and welcome back OrcLeaderalpha!

-----

I don't know if others have noticed this phenomenon, but there seem to be more newcomers coming all the time, and what's great, they actually post. Yay!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #2616
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Wow. frodo1021 was back for like 10 seconds before being banned again. that has to be a record.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 PM   #2617
Merrivere
Pile O'Bones

Merrivere has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Howdy!

Hey guys, my name is Merrivere, or Merri if you like. That's what my friends call me at least. I haven't been on the Downs for years now...I used to go on back when the movies were coming out as Daewen, so if anyone remembers me back then (which I doubt you do, but you never know) I'm back. You never can shake the addiction of LotR.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #2618
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrivere
Hey guys, my name is Merrivere, or Merri if you like. That's what my friends call me at least. I haven't been on the Downs for years now...I used to go on back when the movies were coming out as Daewen, so if anyone remembers me back then (which I doubt you do, but you never know) I'm back. You never can shake the addiction of LotR.
Mae Govannen and welcome I don't know who you were, so I I'll just have to settle for who you are now. So Hi!

Quis ut Deus
Old 11-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #2619
Merrivere
Pile O'Bones

Thanks Beleg. I missed going on here. I hope I'll be able to make friends and feel welcome just like I used to. A lot has changed in my life, and I'm ready to go back to where I left off and pick up the pieces. I guess that all starts with the thing that used to be my top priority
Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #2620
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrivere
Thanks Beleg. I missed going on here. I hope I'll be able to make friends and feel welcome just like I used to. A lot has changed in my life, and I'm ready to go back to where I left off and pick up the pieces. I guess that all starts with the thing that used to be my top priority
Welcome!! Even though I don't think I had joined this site when you were active before, I can guarantee you that we are just as friendly... no, wait, even friendlier than before.
Just to show you how friendly I am, and since you seem to be from Winsconsin (where if my football geography is not incorrect you can find Green Bay and the Packers) I am inviting myself over to your place so that I can see Brett Farve play before he retires.

No?

Well, welcome to the 'downs anyway. There is no better cure for whatever wrongs the "real" world has sent your way than a good, fun time spent in the Mirth section!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:44 PM   #2621
Merrivere
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Welcome!! Even though I don't think I had joined this site when you were active before, I can guarantee you that we are just as friendly... no, wait, even friendlier than before.
Just to show you how friendly I am, and since you seem to be from Winsconsin (where if my football geography is not incorrect you can find Green Bay and the Packers) I am inviting myself over to your place so that I can see Brett Farve play before he retires.

No?

Well, welcome to the 'downs anyway. There is no better cure for whatever wrongs the "real" world has sent your way than a good, fun time spent in the Mirth section!
*smiles* Nothing changes, especially the kindness of fellow Ring fans. Thanks for the warm welcome Farael...and hey, if you really wanted to watch Favre loose another game for the Packers with me, that's a-okay. You're right though, we've got the Packers. Sadly I'm a loyal fan to the home team...no matter how badly we loose :-\
Old 11-22-2006, 01:57 AM   #2622
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A warm welcome to you Merrivere! I hope you like your second death even more than the first one.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #2623
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Greetings to all of you dead, not yet dead, risen or whatever all of you here might be!
Since it's my custom to probe into something before I settle down there, I have already explored this site a little bit and took part in some polls a little bit (as some of you might have noticed), but it's to your credit that after a very short time I feel this place quite comfortable and I intend to (and hope I will) settle down here and rest (in peace, I hope ) for some time... I think there is no need to introduce myself too deeply, if I take part in here, surely it will leak out what my personality is like, but if you have any needs to know more about me, just ask
The most important is that I am Tolkien fan (ah! How unexpectable!) and maybe I could also mention that I am for long time a DM of a company of crazy D&D players, and that with the help of God I just fulfilled my lifetime dream to run a campaign in the ME world... yay!!! So one of the reasons for which I come here is also to keep an eye of details of the ME which could be important for our campaign and which I want to be sure about and with which I hope you, as devoted fans, will be able to help me out!
So thanks for preparing this nice place for us fans, I really like it here on the first sight, hope it will be just better and better...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #2624
Merrivere
Pile O'Bones

A thousand times welcome! Grab a pint and stay a spell. We're here for eternity after all
Old 11-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #2625
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sorry I have not introduced myself, Merrivere . I am ninja91 . Or ninja, if you would like. Welcome to the 'downs, and you seem to have acquired a good deal of rep since you joined!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #2626
Niamh

Hello, hello!

Hello everyone!

I am not exactly a new member, but rather an old member long gone and now returned. I was formerly known as Cúdae, but left roughly 3 years ago. I tried to retrieve my old password to get that name back, but as my e-mail address has since changed, it didn't work out. (So if the administrators wish to do any late fall/early winter cleaning, go right ahead and clear that account out! )

Anyway, I notice that many, many things have changed in the years I've been gone! I'm not sure I understand this reputation system, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after I wade through that long thread on it! I also do not recognize many names. Perhaps there have been many new members or perhaps my memory lapses. Hmm...

In any case, it is good to be back! I have missed this particular fandom and look forward to spirited debate with all of you once again!

--Cúdae
Old 11-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #2627
Gil-Galad

Welcome Niamh! hope you enjoy yourself here!

and the same goes for everyone else that i missed! stay out of my yard!!!...wait... oh yeah, welcome
Old 11-24-2006, 07:18 AM   #2628
Slifer1988

Sting

Hey everyone

Well, I'm new here and I have to say I like this site already. I absoloutely love Lord of the Rings and have read it many times and watched the films a lot each.

My name is ben, but you can call me Slifer, B or whatever else you like.

catch you all soon.

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 11-24-2006 at 11:18 AM. Reason: language edited by moderator to make it "family-friendly"
Old 11-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #2629
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Welcome all newbies!

Thanks again, Gil-Galad, even though it turned out to be a false alarm. I still owe you one.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #2630
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodel_9
Welcome all newbies!

Thanks again, Gil-Galad, even though it turned out to be a false alarm. I still owe you one.

anytime Nimmy, ha nobody realizes what we are talking about too...
Old 11-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #2631
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
and now you got to tell. . .

Old 11-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #2632
Laleena
Animated Skeleton

Laleena has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

I'm very curious, please do tell!

Welcome all of the newley dead!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #2633
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
anytime Nimmy, ha nobody realizes what we are talking about too...
Quote:
and now you got to tell. . .
Alright, I'm blonde, ok? Not literally, just inside. On my first day back to BD, I changed my email. Apparently, when you do this, you have to reactivate your account. The email telling me this got put in my junk email, and I never check it. The next day, I tried to post and to my horror, I wasn't allowed. Nor could I send a PM. My good friend Gil-Galad was going to save me. Then I just happened to check my junk email. So, all is well now. It scared me really bad, though.

Anyhoo....

Nimmy
Old 11-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #2634
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
Welcome all!
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:24 PM   #2635
Sadreen

Leaf

Hello!
I'm new here(duh) and I am Tolkien's #1 fan!

This seems like a cheery forum! Thanks for reading my insignifigant post!

Sadreen (a.k.a reena)
Old 11-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #2636
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

White Tree

Welcome Reena (aka Sadreen)

This place is not cheery! Destruction and pain lurks in every corner of these haunted barrows, lots of ghastly creatures dwells in this dark place.

In the Quiz Room you will find Killer Penguins

In the Mirth section the horrible creature they call Hookbill dwells with his spawn.

In quotes no one ventures save the brave

In Books. . . . . should I stop now? Yeah, it is probably the best.

I just hope you enjoy your time among us dead spirits, you will find everything here. Fun games and deligthful debates.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #2637
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs, Sadreen! I hope you enjoy being dead!

Nimmy
Old 11-29-2006, 03:52 PM   #2638
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
Welcome, Sadreen!!!
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #2639
Sadreen

Leaf

nevertheless, Rune son of Bjarne, I plan to dwell among you however long I live, or die, whichever you wish

Thanks for the welcome all
Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 PM   #2640
Tar-Telperien
Animated Skeleton

Tar-Telperien has just left Hobbiton.
Hello. I'm new here but have been part of the Tolkien community for several years. I was a member of the TORn message boards; I joined there in 2003 but have not posted much in a long time. This place seems more active, and the forum layout is far better.

I chose this name because my main interest in Tolkien's work lies with the isle of Númenor and its history. Tar-Telperien (or Tar-Telperiën, either spelling is valid) was the tenth Ruler of Númenor. I have used this nickname in several Tolkien-related areas I frequent, such as TORn and the Tolkien Gateway wiki.

I will probably mainly post in the Books forum, since I have quite a bit of knowledge about the Legendarium and greatly like to discuss its fine points with others. The movies are quite good, but I pay them less attention. I actually do have a sense of humor, though, so you might see me in the Middle-earth Mirth section as well. I find RPing rather fun, but I am not interested in roleplaying in any other area than Númenor, so I will probably not show up there.

Of the books, The Silmarillion is my favorite, because it contains so many powerful and tragic parts. I am partial to The Hobbit, and fascinated by the material printed in The History of Middle-earth. I have gained a pretty good grasp of Quenya, and know a bit of Sindarin as well.
"Ye are my children. I have sent you to dwell here. In time ye will inherit all this Earth, but first ye must be children and learn. Call on me and I shall hear; for I am watching over you." —Eru Ilúvatar
Tar-Telperien is offline   Reply With Quote