The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Favorite Little Things about the Trilogy

I searched for something like this but didn't find anything. This is different from the "most powerful moments" thread; instead just tell which little things about the movies you liked best.

One of my favorites is how Treebeard addresses everyone's favorite sparkly-white wizard as "Young Master Gandalf." I just thought that was very cool because clearly Gandalf isn't young, but it just shows how ancient Treebeard is. I don't know if he does this in the book, but I do recall him referring to Saruman as young as well.

Take it away!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Gimli's lines

Gimli's comical lines make up for the, ughhh moments of Legolas, I don't care to see. When Legolas does that "I tied, he's still twitching" bull crap in TTT EE, how can you not like Gimli's line...

"He's twitching because he's got my AXE imbedded into his NERVOUS SYSTEM!"

Or..
When Legolas goes for a Mumakil ride and slays it...

"That still only counts as one."

Some of Gimli's comical stunts disturbed me, but most of them brought a laugh to me.

Also, some of Theoden's lines caught my eye, he sounded like a guy who basically "beats around the bush." For example...

Theoden: (to Eowyn) I left you in charge, the people shall follow your rule in my stead, take up the seat in the Golden Hall, long may you defend Edoras if the battle goes ill.
-It's Theoden, basically, saying that lovely, well known phrase of "stay here and watch the fort" or "guard" the house. Lol.

And also Theoden: (to Merry) It's a 3 day ride to Minas Tirith and none of my riders can carry you as a burden.
-Ouch! Now that was indeed a slap in the face, to Merry.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Sam smacking orcs with his frying pan...

Merry and Pippin teaming up on Boroomir and aragorn during training yes gimli's lines....

Treebeard talking about squirrels

"what do they eat when they cant get hobbit" what a coincidence that just happened in my nook on tape! like right now

(this one is a mistake but funny)
the wargs charging legalas as he looks they run down the slope it switches to legalos and back and they run down the same slope again

Bilbo falling asleep in the carriage going to the grey havens

"what avout their legs they dont need those!"
Old 08-09-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I love Gandalf's face when Pippin says "You people of intelligence on this sort of mission....quest....thing!" Gandalf looks over to Elrond "Uhhhhh, wellll. Yeah."

The Frodo Dance!

When Sméagol is saying "He does not care if we be hungry. He does not care if we should die!" to Sam, Sam taunts him by throwing a piece of lembas in his mouth "haha, I can eat, but you can't! nahnahnahnahnah."
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:11 PM   #5
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Sandro has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Denethor falling off the spire as the camera pans on the battle.

Two short shots of Gil-Galad and one short shot of Cirdan in FOTR.

Peter Jackson throwing a spear in Helm's Deep.

Everything any Orc or Uruk says.

Boromir's horn being split during the Amon Hen sequence.

The tapestries in Meduseld detailing Rohirrim past.

Aiglos being displayed near the Shards of Narsil.

And my personal favorite: Aragorn putting on Boromir's vambraces after his death and keeping them for the rest of the trilogy.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #6
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
PJ's carrot-chomping cameo in FOTR

When one of the Ents was set on fire in TTT and put itself out when they flooded Isengard

How they all fell down the hill when they were chased by farmer Maggot and Merry said "I think I've broken something." and pulls out a broken carrot

Aside from the movies I loved how Legolas always said Yrch! when he sensed the orcs

I loved Ian's performance as Bilbo. Especially when he was arguing with Gandalf about the ring in FOTR and he put up his dukes a little just like in the book

How Legolas walked on top of the snow in FOTR

How much Viggo loved his sword. In one of the extra scenes Aragorn was sharpening his sword, which Viggo had asked for himself to do in the film. He also had a little knife crafted onto the sword for eating with.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
The Eagles flying over Mt. Doom -- that was a glorious close-up!

The paradox of Mr.Davies as both Gimli and Treebeard -- another GREAT actor

The fact that Peter Jackson has an impeccable selection of actors

and thank you Sandro for your contribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro
Denethor falling off the spire as the camera pans on the battle.

Two short shots of Gil-Galad and one short shot of Cirdan in FOTR.

Peter Jackson throwing a spear in Helm's Deep.

Everything any Orc or Uruk says.

Boromir's horn being split during the Amon Hen sequence.

The tapestries in Meduseld detailing Rohirrim past.

And my personal favorite: Aragorn putting on Boromir's vambraces after his death and keeping them for the rest of the trilogy.
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Good thread. My personal favorites are these:

When Eomer whistles for Hasufel and Arod, he twitches his fingers as if to say "come on... just a liiiiil bit farther."

Pippen's scream when they shoot off fireworks at Bilbo's party.

When the hobbits rush into the Council of Elrond and Elrond looks behind them as if he's checking to make sure there aren't anymore hiding back there.

Any sequence with Boromir. I rather liked his speech at Osgiliath. Sean Bean rocks.

When the orcs catapulted the heads of the prisoners into Minas Tirith. Gruesome, I know, but I'm glad it wasn't cut.

All of PJ's cameos.

The Ride of the Rohirrim.

Gollum's song in Shelob's cave.

All of Merry and Pip's songs.

~Fea
Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I second the Sean Bean notion above. Best Bond villan ever.

I forgot to mention Merry and Pippin being in lthree places at one during Bilbo's party.

And Eomer's sword falling out of its sheath when he is about to leave Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:25 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420! I third it...

I third the Sean Bean notion, you mentioned Bond, don't forget his villain terrorist role in "Patriot Games."

Or the transition of the good, sly Odysseus in Troy. I love how he sees the miniature carved horse and sort of rubs his chin and goes into thought like, hmmm.

I do think PJ did a great job of picking a cast.

Some of Elrond's moments are quite funny as well...

When Elrond and Aragorn are in Theoden's tents going on about Arwen, and the Paths of the dead, just watch Hugo Weaving talk, he'll start to get sweaty and he'll shake, I'm just thinking woah take some Exlax. Simlar instance when he's going on about "dwarves hide in their mountains...men are weak...blah blah."

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-09-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:29 PM   #11
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
One I thought of: When Pippin's drinking the Ent-draught then Merry's line: "You did somethin'."
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 AM   #12
Vanya
Animated Skeleton

Vanya has just left Hobbiton.
I liked scene in TTT, when Aragoirn, Gandalf, Gimli and Legolas are disarming themselves in front of Mheduseld - they do it for half an hour, pulling new peaces again and again. Didn' t like Gandalf's winking, though.
Pippin's face when Treebeard opens his eyes;
Nazgul flying over Dead Marshes, great;
Galadriel in FoTR , walking almost above the ground, towards the Mirror;
Fotr- Runing across Great Hall in Moria
Vanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #13
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I loved all the extra footage in ROTK

When Eowyn sang the lament for Theodrid, shades of Tolkien's favourite book Beowulf.

When Eowyn shared the cup with Aragorn, also shades of Beowulf.

The name Meduseld, also shades of Beowulf. Meduseld was where Hrothgar resided in Beowulf.

Legolas and Gimli's final count on orcs

When Merry and Pippin are at Isengard with Treebeard and they're looking at Isengard saying "It's a quality establishment." and so forth sounding like a hotel brochure.

When Pippin and Merry are looking for food at Isengard and Pippin finds an apple and looks up like it came from the sky just like when Aragorn hit him with the apple.

You guessed it...When Aragorn hit Pippin with the apple in FOTR

In Moria when the fellowship is waiting for Gandalf to decide which way to go. If you listen very very closely you hear a conversation between Merry and Pippin...
Pippin:.....Merry!
Merry:....What!
Pippin:..........I'm hungry!
Old 08-10-2004, 02:27 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The scene of the fellowship crying outside of Moria

Boromir's horn being shown split

Grima's tear at Orthanc

Faramir's lines about the dead man in TTT (semi-small)

The scene in the TTT EE when Faramir watches Boromir depart

Gandalf & Faramir's brief talk as Faramir rides to attempt to retake Osgiliath

Sam's speech to Frodo as they lie halfway up Mt. Doom

The music that wasn't so obvious as the battle music. It just sort've stayed in the background, but still fit the scene and its emotions so well.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #15
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
I third the Sean Bean notion, you mentioned Bond, don't forget his villain terrorist role in "Patriot Games."

Or the transition of the good, sly Odysseus in Troy. I love how he sees the miniature carved horse and sort of rubs his chin and goes into thought like, hmmm.
Yeah, my Dad and I seem to be the only people in the city who thought that movie was very good. I seriously doubt that any of the critics we read had actually read the Illiad.

On further discussion of Grima, he has no eyebrows, bad dandruf, and a cateract.

The spears of Eomer and Eowyn are different that those of the common Rohirrim warrior. For that matter, all the weapons and armor were great.

Boromir's dagger, never used, rarely seen.

Theoden's speech at the Pellenor (although I really wish he had the horn and it burst and everything....sigh).

Merry's insatiable bloodlust.

And the pictures of the actors (INCLUDING SEAN BEAN!!!!) at the closing credits of ROTK.

Last edited by Sandro; 08-10-2004 at 02:49 PM. Reason: I can't tpe
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:43 PM   #16
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

For some reason, unknown as of yet, Sam's line:

"Rosie Cotton dancin'... with ribbons in her hair."

I love that line.

Fea
Old 08-11-2004, 09:30 PM   #17
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Mmm, that is a really great line.

I also love how when Pippin finds the apple floating on the water in TTT, he looks up remembering getting whacked in the head by mysteriously falling fruit.

And how when Gandalf lays his hand on Theoden's arm in TTT, Theoden looks at him suspiciously because that was the sort of thing Grima used to do -- I believe this was discussed in the Director/Writers commentary.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:43 AM   #18
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420! Eomer

Eomer: Now is the hour, riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken, now fulfill them all to lord and land.

Eomer does very little in the movies, which was something I wasn't too happy with, so any of his lines to me, are an added bonus.

The gates of Minas Tirith were particularly funny. The design on the gates, I liked, very well done. But the complicated chains, crossbars, pulley systems, all that stuff, wooo didn't last 3 seconds against Grond, lol. All that work for nothing.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #19
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Sting

It was 5 seconds. I'll have you know!!!

Yeah, I wish they had more of Eomer too.

In ROTK watch the expressions the Leader of the Haradrim makes as he smashes Rohirrim (he's the one with the chain between the tusks of his mumak). He also makes a very odd grunting noise. And his horn rocks.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:31 PM   #20
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
When Eowyn chants that strange but beautiful song at Theodred's grave, does anyone know what she says? (in Rohirric, I presume). It's very beautiful.
Quote:
And the pictures of the actors (INCLUDING SEAN BEAN!!!!) at the closing credits of ROTK
Yes! I loved that.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #21
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Thumbs up

Did you notice that each charactor had an object in the background that pertained to his or her character? Boromir had the horn, Frodo had the Ring, Aragorn had Anduril, etc.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:04 PM   #22
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
indeed an excellent ending to the perfect trilogy I almost cried...because that movie was so great but also because I knew it was the last one so no more were to come...
Old 08-17-2004, 10:34 AM   #23
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Oh, I didn't see that! Where is it?

Quote:
I also love how when Pippin finds the apple floating on the water in TTT, he looks up remembering getting whacked in the head by mysteriously falling fruit.
*points at avie* I love that bit! ^ ^

Quote:
Sean Bean rocks.
Indeed. Anyone here seen any of the Sharpe series? Very lofty.

~The "Yeah, well..." grin on Pippin's face when Merry accusses him, "You did somethin'."

~Merry kicking Grishnakh in the face.

~Merry and Pippin pulling Aragorn's legs out from under him during their "fight" with Boromir.

~Shelob's spaz attack after Sam stabs her.

~Merry and Pippin's drinking song at Edoras. (I won an award for a calligraphy piece I did of that. )

~The thoroughly-frustrated-and-upset expression on Pippin's face after Denethor chucks him out of the mausoleum with instructions to "Go now and die in what way seems best to you."

~Frodo's paranoid expression at the beginning of RotK, just after Sam asks, "Haven't you had any sleep, Mr. Frodo?"

~*this is a blooper* When Frodo is sprinting up the side of Mount Doom, just after Gollum's attack, you can see a little stream in the background.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 08-17-2004, 02:48 PM   #24
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Ot:

Quote:
Anyone here seen any of the Sharpe series?
I saw all of them! Loved them. They beat Lotr by a mile. j/k, but they're still wonderful.
*drifts away humming 'over the hills and far away'
Old 08-17-2004, 10:33 PM   #25
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

[QUOTE=Sapphire_Flame]
~*this is a blooper* When Frodo is sprinting up the side of Mount Doom, just after Gollum's attack, you can see a little stream in the background.
QUOTE]

just wondering why is that ablooper? remember in the book they do find a spring plus seeing how Mordor is mostly a miniature it was basicly a dilebrate strean sorry to ruin your fun
Old 08-17-2004, 10:47 PM   #26
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Don't question my leadership...

Quote:
just wondering why is that a blooper?
How many blissful little streams have you ever seen running down the side of an ACTIVE VOLCANO in the middle of a DESERT? Go check in the book; the last time Frodo and Sam were anywhere near water was before they were caught by the orcs on the road. That was long before the slopes of Mount Doom, my friend.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 08-17-2004, 10:57 PM   #27
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

it the background on mount doom ok then yes I thought you meant background as in way over there background"does hand motion in random direction" I didnt relise you meant on the mountain itself I apologize
Old 08-18-2004, 03:45 PM   #28
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Flame
Oh, I didn't see that! Where is it?
It is being displayed a little further down the hall. It is upright and it looks like any other elven spear, but it could only be Aiglos. Look for it in the scene where Boromir cuts his finger.

Speaking of Grishnahk, when he is about to stab Merry in fangorn, he still has the spear-head sticking out of his sholder. Most directors wouldn't go for that kind of continuity, thinking no one would notice, but Jackson did.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #29
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
the shot of Gandalf after Pippin's song, sitting down alone, leaning on his staff, a sad, even hopeless look on his face. stunning

the rohirrim smashing into the line of orcs

frodo's smile 'bookending' the films

and merry and pippin turning around at the havens to leave Sam alone with his thoughts.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:12 PM   #30
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
On further discussion of Grima, he has no eyebrows, bad dandruf, and a cateract.
Indeed he does! Poor sod. He's also got a little bald spot in the back; you can see it for about a second or two in the scene when he and Saruman are looking down at the Uruks from Orthanc.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:12 AM   #31
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Smashing war hero outfits!

I loved the brief appearance of the Hobbits when they come back to the Shire in Gondorean garb.

But what gets me the most is the look on Pippin's face after he accidentaly drops the bucket into the well in Moria. Pitiful, but well expressed.

Gandalf's mumbling in Moria when he was trying to remember where to turn is also one of my favorite little things.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:36 AM   #32
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

And speaking of Pippin... the "Nothing's happening" at the Doors of Moria is great. Yee-hah for Billy Boyd!
Old 08-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #33
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Speaking of Pippin, I only just noticed (actually someone's pointed out to me while watching Fellowship) that he wears a muffler all the time. It's very cute, it looks like a kids' muffler and it makes him look even more childish. I think that's quite a nice touch... No other hobbit wears one.
I have to say the muffler had all my attention after I noticed its existence I kept bursting into laughter for no apparent reason...
Old 08-28-2004, 07:17 AM   #34
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I just speed read this thread and someone said something about Peter Jackson being careful with continuity and for the most part I agree. But please tell me that someone else noticed that when Pippin almost gets crushed by a horse during the battle between the Orcs and the Rohirrim in Rohan his hands are not tied. And this is before - before - he has cut the ropes with the sword on the floor. I checked, a lot!
Old 08-28-2004, 07:39 AM   #35
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Kath: Yeah, that instance is an error. In fact, there are a lot of errors like that, but it's hard to expect anything else when you go from filming something in RotK to something in TTT, to something in FotR, to something in RotK, & then finally back to finishing up what you were filming earlier in TTT.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:07 AM   #36
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Yes, it's amazing he did it as well as he did. I wasn't really criticising btw, I just needed to know I wasn't going mad!
Old 08-28-2004, 12:00 PM   #37
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Evisse-- Yeah, the muffler/scarf is adorable! (There's actually a fanlisting for it )
Old 08-28-2004, 01:02 PM   #38
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

many "little" things pleased me and Im having trouble remembering them right now...

Oh yes, I believe that the voice of the witch-king is also the voice of the alien in Independence Day...Still tryig to find out for sure but It sounds just like him.

umm....thats the only one i remember right now
Old 08-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #39
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love all the peculiar little details that were included from the book and almost unnoticeable. But other things I liked included:

In The Prancing Pony, when Pippin says "They sell pints? I'm getting one!".
At Bag End when Gandalf strikes his head on the beam. "Ooooh".
The cockney Uruk-Hai "We aint had nuffink but maggoty bread for three stinkin' days".

And for the Bean fans:
When Sean Bean says the lines "It is a gift" and "For pity's sake let them rest" and you can hear his Sheffield accent. Oh, and I swear there was a sparkle in his eye and he was thinking of Sheffield United when he said "The blade that cut the ring....".
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #40
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Morsul-- I don't remember what the alien sounded like, but Lawrence Makoare was the Witch-King, and he isn't credited here as the alien... http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0538692/