The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
kharank
Animated Skeleton

kharank has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Eowyn at the Black Gate?

In the new ROTK trailer, we hear Aragorn giving a rousing speech to some troops. Now, it could just be clever editing for the trailer, but it seems that Eowyn is listening to this speech, and Merry is with her. However, a later shot shows Aragorn before the Black Gate!<P>I was just wondering if anyone knows how the screenplay for ROTK would deal with the Witch King/Eowyn/Merry sequence - does it happen before the Black Gate? There was also the brief shot in the DVD preview of Pippin holding a wounded Merry. They do not meet on the Pelennor in the book, so maybe PJ has fiddled with the ordering? What do people think?
Old 10-01-2003, 02:15 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Um, it's just the editing. That's what trailers do. They mix up different sections of the film to heighten the tension and excitement. So don't get hung up on the order that events appear in the trailer.<P>I cannot imagine that Eowyn and Merry meet the Witch King anywhere else but on the Pelennor. <P>And it seems that Pippin does meet Merry on the battlefield, presumably in the aftermath of the battle. But that would only be a small change from the Book, where Pippin finds Merry stumbling through Minas Tirith just after the battle.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:09 PM   #3
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also I heard that the Houses of Healing stuff was filmed, but most of it was cut out.<BR>
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:58 PM   #4
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Well, there is a picture making the rounds on the internet of Aragorn and Eowyn in the Houses of Healing, so I would assume that we get at least a short scene there. Like Saucepan Man said, I think it's just editing, not actually Eowyn and Merry before the Black Gate.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I assume you are talking about this one.<P><A HREF="http://www.warofthering.net/photos/rotkaragorn/imagepages/image10.shtml" TARGET=_blank>Eowyn and Aragorn</A><P>Sorry, but that shot has been definately identified as being at Edoras. Look at the pillar in the background. They're the same as the ones in Meduseld.<P>H.C.<p>[ October 01, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 11-02-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I think you accidentally linked to the wrong picture, HC. It's <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6701?q=Houses+of+Healing" TARGET=_blank>this</A> one. But I think you might be right... why didn't I notice that? It did look a little un-Houses of Healing to me, but I figured it had to be....

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:48 PM   #7
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Don't worry, Faramir Fan! Miranda Otto said the scenes were filmed, so there's always hope they'll be included on the RotK Extended Edition DVD! At least, that's what I'm hoping for! <P>Edit: Whoops! On topic, I agree with the others: Merry and Eowyn will kill the Witch King on the Pelennor, after which Pippin will find Merry.<P>-Lily<p>[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Lily Bracegirdle ]
Old 11-02-2003, 10:15 PM   #8
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Also I heard that the Houses of Healing stuff was filmed, but most of it was cut out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sorry, but that shot has been definately identified as being at Edoras. Look at the pillar in the background. They're the same as the ones in Meduseld.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They may still have something from the Houses of Healing in the film. There was a pic on OneRing showing Aragorn healing Faramir. It has since been removed, but<BR>you can still see it <A HREF="http://www.warofthering.net/photos/rotkaragorn/imagepages/image5.shtml" TARGET=_blank>here</A>. You can clearly see Aragorn's left hand clasping one of Faramir's hands, and his right hand almost touching Faramir's forehead. Fabulous image!<p>[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Alatįriėl ]
Old 11-03-2003, 11:27 AM   #9
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Absolutely!<P>I was very excited seeing the Aragorn/Faramir shot a bit ago, but one has to remember that this is no guarantee that it is in the film. Recall that the shots of Frodo and Sam watching the elves moving through the Shire was repeatedly put in trailers for Fellowship, yet was not used until the EE.<P>H.C.