The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Thumbs up Support group: Waiting for The Two Towers Extended Edition!

Greetings, fellow Barrow-downers. Some of you who have been "dead" a long time will remember my post of last year, a support group of sorts to keep each other company while waiting for The Two Towers Extended Edition. Well, I figured I'd reprise that "group" and we can sit here and keep each other patient until TTT EE releases. I believe the date was November 26th, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.<P><A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net" TARGET=_blank>LordoftheRings.net</A> has some official pictures from the extended edition, as well as <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net" TARGET=_blank>TheOneRing.net</A> of the extended material. Some of the things we know will happen are:<P>Faramir leads Frodo and Sam to the underground sewers (?) of Osgiliath for them to escape. During some point, he grills Gollum.<P>Of course, the famous Aragorn and Brego scene which is needed for the poor ignorant movie-goers who had NO IDEA where this horse came from that rescues Aragorn.<P>Eowyn sings a dirge for Theodred, whose funeral is also in the EE. Somewhere along the way, Eowyn cooks up some stew for Aragorn, but it is obviously not good. We also learn that Aragorn is more than 120 years old.<P>After Frodo wakes from his nightmare of Moria, the scene cuts to the hobbits carefully making their way down a cliff as the two towers title appears on the screen contrast to the theatrical version where the scene cuts to the hobbits making their way up a mountain and title pops up on screen. There was a scene where we see Gollum's point of view watching them as rome around Emyn Muil. <P>Eomer comes upon the near-death body of Theodred.<P>And of course, the Ent-droughts!<P>There's more I can share, but I'm out of time. I'll listen to what some of you have heard!<P>Take up the chant: We CAN wait for the TTT EE!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 09-17-2003, 10:10 PM   #2
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Knight of Gondor! <I>The</I> Knight of Gondor, sweet Christian person who had a green tainted pic of Legolas standing straight looking concerned? Long time no see! Welcome back! Or... if you're not the sweet Christian person who had a green tainted pic of Legolas standing straight looking concerned, than I welcome you back anyway, whoever you are (sheepish look).<P>Anyway, doing the chant: We CAN wait for the TTT EE! We CAN wait for the TTT EE! We CAN wait for the TTT EE! Yay yay yay! <P>-There's going to be flashbacks of Boromir and Gondor, and we get to see Denethor(looks around to see if she's coming).<BR> <BR>-The Huorns! The Huorns! Yay yay yay! <P>I think we've covered the big ones.<BR>I've had so much fun writing this post, can't you tell? <BR>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 09-18-2003, 04:45 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooh... the Denethor scenes the preview pics are on my wall already.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> We also learn that Aragorn is more than 120 years old.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought he was 87...
Old 09-18-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Faramir finding a dead Boromir, is gonna get me all misty-eyed...
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Old 09-18-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Faramir Fan, my goodness me too! It's going to be a great scene, I can tell. And I'm looking forward to seeing Denethor so much! <P>Bring it on!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:46 PM   #6
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> believe the date was November 26th, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You're a bit on the pessimistic side! It's actually Nov. 18th
Old 09-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I heard that it was coming out on the 26th, too. But the 18th is SO much better!!<P>Personally, the part that I can't wait to see is the Entdraught scene. I liked it in the books, and I was terribly disappointed when it was not in the theatrical version.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:41 PM   #8
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The Knight of Gondor, sweet Christian person who had a green tainted pic of Legolas standing straight looking concerned? Long time no see! Welcome back! Or... if you're not the sweet Christian person who had a green tainted pic of Legolas standing straight looking concerned, than I welcome you back anyway, whoever you are (sheepish look).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's me! You'll notice, it's a revolving Ring, though...I still have the site for Leggy in case I need him! It's encouraging to know I am remembered, though!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Personally, the part that I can't wait to see is the Entdraught scene. I liked it in the books, and I was terribly disappointed when it was not in the theatrical version.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You saw the preview of it on the TTT DVD, did you not? That'll be fun. But I must admit, whenever we broke away from Helm's Deep to go back to the young hobbits, I was like "Go back, go BACK!"<P>Did you notice how much extended material was NOT in the movie that was shown on the preview? Gandalf talking with Aragorn, Arwen approaching the Shrine of Narsil, Eomer slowly lowering his spear atop his horse, Saruman smirking that Gandalf thought he had found the lost king of Gondor. Wonder why?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 09-19-2003, 05:32 AM   #9
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Did you notice how much extended material was NOT in the movie that was shown on the preview? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I noticed that too. So that means PJ really wanted us to see those scenes but maybe New Line didn't think they were important enough.<P>Can't wait to see them in November!
Old 09-19-2003, 01:48 PM   #10
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Of course, the famous Aragorn and Brego scene which is needed for the poor ignorant movie-goers who had NO IDEA where this horse came from that rescues Aragorn.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That would be me then...anyone care to join me in my complete and utter confusion???<P>Novenmber 26th...hmmm...26th...ahh yes, on the 26th (of September, admittedly) Ned Kelly comes out!! Ahem...<P>So it comes out on the 18th then??<P>And yes, not only was Aragorn 87 in the books, but I read a review of the EE and it said he was 87 in the film too...
Old 09-19-2003, 04:45 PM   #11
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and we get to see Denethor(looks around to see if she's coming).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*laughs, long and hard* Perfect. <P>Isn't there also to be another scene with Aragorn where he tames a horse?

Will you pay attention?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:24 PM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I prefer to think that the theatrical version was for all the non-Tolkienites, whereas the extended version was for all us Tolkienites. That way, both of them make me happy.<P>I can't wait for the extended DVD to come out. It's going to be so great! I've already seen the theatrical DVD and the special features DVD so many times that I can say all the lines along with the actors. <P>*slinks off* Yes, I know I'm sad.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:28 PM   #13
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>*slinks off* Yes, I know I'm sad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You're not sad, Finwe.. okay, maybe you are. But, <B><I>welcome to the club!</I></B> *smiles*<P>Seriously, my whole family, except maybe my Dad, but he's just cool, think I am nuts. <BR>My Mom actually told me the other day that I am beginning to remind her of "that little monkey man". (Quite hilariously and pathetically, she meant Gollum. ) I go around with an LotR quote for everything, and write my name in elvish much quicker (and nicer) than my actual name... Now <I>that</I> is sad. But to use yet another quote:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"And <I>proud</I> of it!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will you pay attention?
Old 09-21-2003, 07:23 PM   #14
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Don't worry it is only about two more months that we have to wait!<P>OOOOHHHHHHHHHH I will never be able to wait this long. I have already seen the preview for the extended edition like ten times going on to eleven soon!<P>But I will survive
Old 09-21-2003, 07:52 PM   #15
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Hi guys. I obtained some information from my brother, who apparently had this list on his laptop the whole time and didn't tell me. <P>There are spoilers, by the way, just so you know.<BR>-----<P>- Extended opening, in which the hobbits scale a cliff face using the rope Galadriel gave Sam, including a better build-up to the arrival of Gollum. <BR>- More friction between the Uruk-Hai and the Orcs as they transport Merry and Pippin back to Isengard, which better sets up the fight over food that takes place later. <BR>- More scenes of Saruman breeding his army, creating better pacing as the invasion of Rohan begins <BR>- Terrific scene in which Eomer finds the body of Theodred, Theodens son. <BR>- Additional scenes with Merry and Pippin, including extensions to existing Treebeard scenes and the Ent Draught sequence, in which the hobbits grow. In another scene, Treebeards soporific poetry works its magic. <BR>- Theodreds funeral scene, with Eowyn singing a lament. <BR>- A wonderful introduction to Aragorns horse Brego, who we learn was Theodreds horse. Aragorn requests Brego be set free, which places his later rescue in better context. <BR>- Additional scenes between Eowyn and Aragorn, including one in which he attempts to eat a bowl of evil-looking stew. <BR>- More scenes between Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, which expand upon the films politics (including the union between the two towers Gandalf scene from the trailer, though that line is missing from what I can remember). <BR>- More of Sarumans musings, setting up themes that will be explored in The Return of the King. <BR>- Flashback to the circumstances surrounding Boromir being sent to Rivendell for the Council of Elrond, taking place during the re-taking of Osgiliath by the Gondorian army. This sequence briefly introduces John Noble as Denethor, a major character in The Return of the King. I was worried this sequence would seem like an indulgence, but its difficult to imagine the film without it; not only is the character of Faramir, much maligned by fans of the book, given added depth, so too is Boromir enriched by this addition. <BR>- Just before the Ents storming of Isengard, the Huorns mobilise and leave to attend to business elsewhere; they reappear at Helms Deep to kill the Uruk-Hai as they flee. <BR>- New ending, with Merry and Pippin finding a larder at Isengard, including two barrels of pipe-weed; a hilarious scene in which Gimli and Legolas compare their scores after the battle of Helms Deep; Frodo, Sam and Gollum are shown the way out of Osgiliath by Faramir, who threatens Gollum; theres even a brief moment in which Sam and Gollum appear to make peace. <BR>- Along with all these major additions, many more scenes are subtly extended to give more information or reinforce themes already present. <P>Scarcely less than two months remain, take heart!
Old 09-21-2003, 08:11 PM   #16
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

*sheepishly walks in and clears her throat* Ermm... hullo... my name is arianrod (support group says "Hi, arianrod!"), and I can't wait another moment for the TTT Extended Edition. Especially the scene with Sam's rope (one of my favorite scenes of course, but aren't they all?) and the Boromir flash backs. More.. Boromir... *breathes into a paperbag* Ok.. I'm ok. Just two more months. Just two more months. Just two more months. Just two more months...<P>I CAN wait for the TTT EE! (I hope!)
Old 09-21-2003, 08:36 PM   #17
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

All right now, y'all, in unison: Hi, arianrod!<P>That's what we're all here for, to help each other wait. Have some punch, Arianrod!
Old 09-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #18
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

*takes the punch and smiles* Thank you, Knight of Gondor! I think I'm calm now... Just so long as I don't think about the added Sean Bean scenes, I'll be fine. <P>And I've also heard that the release is Nov 18. I think some of you may be thinking of the release of the RotK trailer in theaters, which is September 26nd.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:14 PM   #19
Engwaromenion

Shield

WHy do the movie people torment us with so much time to get the extended version???

Old 09-22-2003, 08:27 PM   #20
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It wouldn't mean as much to us if we didn't have to wait! C'mon, keep it together.<P>Stop by the RotK support group...there's cheesecake there!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:34 PM   #21
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*Rolls out bags of candy*<P>ANother spoiler that I had already suspected!<P>. Most I had seen, but among them was a diamond vase thing. I asked Dan what it was, and he took it and took of the top. As he pulled the top off, I saw that a inky rats tale with spikes was hanging off the lid. <BR>He told me that it was Wormtounge’s poison jar, I asked when does he use that, and he said that he uses it to kill Theodred. I was surprised because I thought that that was really clever. It would make his character more evil. He went on to say that it wasn’t in the books, and I asked him if it would appear in the EE of the TT. He said most defiantly.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #22
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

*Mmmmm, candy*<BR>I figured out that you know you need a support group when you've starting calulating the seconds until the TT EE in math class instead of doing the class work they give you. <P>I think the Tolkien purists would probably have a stroke or something if the movie had Wormtounge killing Theodred, but it would be interesting.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:02 PM   #23
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't wait until the TTT EE comes out it is going to be so awesome. Has anyone seen the preview of it on TTT disc 2? It looks so totally awesome
Old 09-27-2003, 01:10 PM   #24
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't see how anyone could argue that Wormtongue killing Theodred is out of character or without motivation.<P>I love the moment when Grima walks in on Eowyn griefing over Theodred and says, "Oh, he must have died sometime in the night." It was very suspicious.<P>H.C.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:21 PM   #25
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I CAN wait (but there is the posibility that I might die) for TTT EE. Take up the chant O movie lovers! I wait (im)pationtly!
Old 09-27-2003, 08:43 PM   #26
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

When Wormtongue came in and said that (By the way, the way he says it it sounds like "Ew, he must have died...sssometime in the night."), I suspected from the very first that he had something to do with it.<P>Just two more months!
Old 09-27-2003, 11:07 PM   #27
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Well for all we know, Grima could have killed Theodred, by engineering his death. Grima knew that Theodred regularly rode out (perhaps with Eomer) to defend the borders of Rohan, and he must have thought, "If I call in a massive host of Orcs, Theodred will be killed, and Rohan will be easier to conquer." It would have been fairly easy for Grima to get a message to Isengard, telling Saruman the details of his plan, and to manipulate Theodred into being at the "right place" at the "right time." <P><BR>What they're doing in the movies, is just another interpretation of how Theodred dies. Perhaps Grima poisoned him just before he rode out, so he was too weak to fight, and received the wounds that he died of. Grima could have still engineered the appearance of the Orcs. It works either way.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:01 PM   #28
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another thought on Wormtongue poisoning Theodred, though I can't claim to be the originator of this.<P>Wormtongue killing Theodred in his sleep is very much the same as how he killed Lotho. Saruman finking on Wormtongue about killing Lotho is what set Wormy in the rage that killed Saruman.<P>Could PJ be boring this and adapting it so that Saruman's death at Orthanc will be much the same as his death in The Shire?<P>H.C.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:26 PM   #29
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Has anyone seen those ugly spears on the side of Orthanc? I just noticed them myself, in a picture. But I always thought it would be from a wheel of machinery down below.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:48 AM   #30
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Tis an interesting thought, HC. But what does 'finking' mean?<BR>Nope, I haven't seen the spear things on the side of Orthanc...
Old 10-01-2003, 02:15 PM   #31
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like to think of the extended edition DVD as the real movie. None of the sissy 2 hour<BR>stuff. Give me the real thing. NOW! Can't wait!
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
Old 10-01-2003, 04:59 PM   #32
Calenedheliel1
Pile O'Bones

Calenedheliel1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can not wait for the TTT EE to come out. And I hope that when it is put on the big screen in December that it will play in my area.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:50 PM   #33
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Here's the image: see the spikes towards the top of the picture?<P>
Old 10-12-2003, 05:53 PM   #34
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome arianrod! Enjoy yourself, and have a rootbeer while you're at it. |_|) <P>Why would the builders put spikes on the side? To make sure that anyone who would fall off would be killed? <P>Wormtongue poisoning Theodred, hmmm, not a bad change, not a bad change at all, I like it. It works.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Frodo, Sam and Gollum are shown the way out of Osgiliath by Faramir, who threatens Gollum; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That sounds mighty fine! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Treebeard scenes and the Ent Draught sequence, in which the hobbits grow. In another scene, Treebeards soporific poetry works its magic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm looking forward to this. I just hope they at least don't make the poetry thing too goofy. <P>Only 37 days!!!! YAY!! <BR>See you later! <BR>~M
Old 10-30-2003, 09:49 PM   #35
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

It's coming, and quite soon! Less than a month!
Old 10-30-2003, 10:17 PM   #36
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

I decided I have to join the group, because I really need help waiting! Oh, and the mean man at the mall today got his dates muxed up and told me that TTT EE comes out Nov. 11! For a minute I thought, Oh! I don't have to wait as long as I thought, until common sense kicked in and I realized the guy just didn't know what he was talking about. Still, I couldn't be sure until I got home and checked to make sure I hadn't gotten the dates confused. But alas!! I really do have to wait til the 18th! Oh well. In 19 days I'll be watching it!!! (not that I'm counting or anything...)<BR>Oh, and Knight, I like your new avatar!!<BR>Arwen
Old 10-31-2003, 10:24 AM   #37
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Knight, what is your avvie about???<P>Come on, nearly there.....it's November tomorrow. That makes it seem much sooner!!! Yaya!!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 10:07 PM   #38
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Thanks, Arwen. I liked it too, but I don't think the staff at Barrow-Downs like such overtly political icons, so I've returned to the 'ol Ring.<P>Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1, it was an icon for Bush in 2004. He's my man. I MIGHT be shaking his hand just tomorrow in fact!!!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 08:29 AM   #39
Aradan

Sting

I shook his dad's hand when it was ale vs bush.

Old 11-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #40
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Oh, enjoy your death, Aradan!!<P>Knight: Oh. Ah well, it's good to see the Ring again!!!<P>Hmm, how long is it now? Not too long to go, I don't think....
Closed Thread