The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-15-2003, 09:51 PM   #1
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What you actually liked about PJ's interpretation

Alright... I think we've had enough comments about what Peter Jackson did wrong, how his movies suck or how he should have done things. Anyway, though there are some things about the movies that I hated, I GENERALLY appreciated those films. Not that they are in my list of favorites, but I must admit, they were good and at some points even great.<P>What did you guys <I>like</I> about the movie? Put it all here.<P>Personally, I loved the intricate Rivendell set. <BR>The landscape shots were breathtaking. <BR>And I think the orc-makeup was great. <BR>I laughed when I saw the stone trolls in the background as the Hobbits and Strider were on their way to Rivendell. <BR>And I also found it funny that Peter Jackson appeared at Bree, eating a carrot.<P>Save all your PJ-bashing for another thread <p>[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: Kaiserin ]
Old 08-15-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I think Boromir's death sequence was one of the only things that PJ actually did well on. He added a bit of dialouge, dramatacized it a good bit more than Tolkien did, but over all, I think it represented Boromir's character well.<P>Iarwain<P>P.S. Your mention of PJ made me think of how well that shot represents my view of him. <p>[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 08-15-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you, Kaiserin! It seems we have all been picking apart PJ's interpretation far too much. I would like to take a break and say all the things I truly loved about Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.<P>The way Boromir was protrayed is one of my favorite parts, and I think it added a lot of depth to one of Tolkien's most (in my humble opinion) misunderstood characters.<P>Peter Jackson's Ringwraiths were a breathtaking accomplishment. They were so chilling and scary in the movies, something I think improved upon Tolkien's less frightening description of their actual presence in the books. <P>The soundtrack was fantastic. The Shire score went perfectly with the scenery, and most of the music throughout the movies was haunting, beautiful and very fitting. My favorite scores, along with the initial Shire score, were the enchanting melodies of Lothlorien, the chanting and drumbeating of the race through Moria, and the operatic, blood-curdling composition of the music that accompanied the Ringwraiths as it showed their exit from Minas Morgul.<P>Plot aside, the actualy direction of the films was excellent, and the multiple takes that PJ took of nearly every scene yielded a great rendition of Tolkien's world. From the camerawork to the sets to the costumes, the movie was put together quite well.<P>I am the first to say that I love Peter Jackson's work and I feel he brought an approach to Professor Tolkien's works that cannot be rivaled by many. Although I will not withold my views on the parts that I do not agree with in PJ's works, and though they may not be entirely faithful to the books, they are still a remarkable achievement in and of themselves.<p>[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 08-15-2003, 11:08 PM   #4
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And I also found it funny that Peter Jackson appeared at Bree, eating a carrot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?< BR> <BR>When the **** was THAT?
Old 08-15-2003, 11:22 PM   #5
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

In addition to what's already been said above:<P>I love the amount of detail put into the whole production. Did you know that the miniture pillars of Khazad-Dum all had dwarvish runes on them? It's almost impossible to see in the movie, but the crew went through the effort of doing it anyway. When Ian McKellen was going through the papers in Minas Tirith, each page of every book there was written out by a calligrapher in Middle Earth style. Only a group and director that truely loved the book they were working with would go through such an effort to make it so detailed and real. I think that's wonderful, and only PJ could do it.
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 11:45 PM   #6
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved EVERYTHING!<P>The actors were best though, it was great to have a visual interpretation of characters.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:12 AM   #7
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well... I have to say, PJ's vision of Boromir was just awe-inspiring, and probably most true to Tolkien. The depiction of Khazad-dum was also incredible, although too short <BR>And thats right, Balrog DO have wings, coz PJ said so hehe..<P>But I think the best part of Jackon's LOTR is the Shire, it just feels... right
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 03:42 AM   #8
Kaiserin
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Peter Jackson's Ringwraiths were a breathtaking accomplishment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh yes.. I forgot to mention that in my first post. The Ringwraiths were awesome; they were much scarier than I imagined them to be. Their shrieks were really quite blood-curdling, and their forms very imposing on the screen. I also appreciated the metal-like garb they had on - pretty much like John Howe's artwork interpretation.<P>Somebody mentioned actors - I must say that the choices for actors were good. Sir Ian and Elijah wood had really expressive faces.<P>Also, the detail was awesome. I never knew about the nitty-gritties put into Khazad-dum (arianrod's post, above) - of course, certainly only a director who loved LOTR will go through all that trouble.<P>Meneltarmacil: The PJ-with-a-carrot-scene is just as the Hobbits enter the gates. He appears from the side (though I don't remember whether from the left or right). It's just a split second, but you can't miss him because he's the only chubby bearded guy eating a carrot.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:07 AM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank god. A thread that actually appreciates his hard work.<P>Everything about Boromir was pretty much perfect. Great choice of actor and character role.<P>Faramir and Osgiliath. No matter how much everyone else complains, they are still my favourite parts of the whole trilogy.<P>Denethor. I don't care if I haven't seen him yet, I just know he will be good. I have faith.<P>Rivendell and Lothlorien. Heck, every location. They were all fantastic, and the attention to detail was amazing. The dedication that went into creating Edoras is overwhelming.<P>The music was pretty good, especially the Lothlorien score. It matched the overall tone and atmosphere of the location. The same goes for Rohan. The music emphasised the feeling of run-down and despair.<P>The wraiths were rather good, come to think of it. They genuinely frightened me.<P>The Palantirs. I don't know, I suppose they were just a good touch to the scenery. Well made and very intriguing to look at.<P>The overall atmosphere of the films. I was genuinely drawn in to the lives of the characters, and forgot it was just a film. Their story had impact, I could feel their joy and their sorrow.<BR>In fact, I was so drawn in that after the first viewing of Fellowship of the Ring and the Hobbits, I took a liking to mushrooms and I am now an addict.<P>The Ring. Similar to above. I could actually feel the Ring's power. If a character was drawn in by it, I was drawn in myself. When Aragorn was faced with the Ring, my hands were itching to reach out and touch it. But when he resisted, I resisted.<P>If the films can have that effect on viewers, so much that they are swept along with the characters and feel their moods and the power of the situation, then PJ deserves much more credit than he is given. No other film could have that much effect on me.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:27 AM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Meneltarmacil: The PJ-with-a-carrot-scene is just as the Hobbits enter the gates. He appears from the side (though I don't remember whether from the left or right). It's just a split second, but you can't miss him because he's the only chubby bearded guy eating a carrot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> He also cuts loose a nice rolling belch, so he's not hard to miss . <BR> The things I liked about the movies were:<P>*The sounds the Ringwraiths made, &, quite frankly, the Ringwraiths all-round.<P>*Borimir was great. His death scene was even better<BR> <BR>*Actors were good choices pretty much all-round.<BR> <BR>*All or Moria was excellent, but especially gandalf's death scene & the insuing 'greaving scene'.<BR> <BR>*Frodo at the water scene near the end was very well done.<BR> <BR>*Helm's Deep. It was all good, although it was bordering on 'to much of a good thing'.<BR> <BR>*The Ents attacking Isengard was fair, although a suprising amount of them are left-handed.<BR> <BR>*Gollom was by far the best part of TTT. He was done brilliantly & just seeing him was well worth the $5 I had to pay every time I saw it ($2 one time I guess ). <BR> <BR>*The Orcs were awesome, & deffinatly helped out my flawed imagination of them . It seems like very few of them in TTT still have any remnents of the red paint & white hand on their faces from FotR (the ones with Merry & Pippin). In fact they hardly even look like them, but that's ok (and that <B>doesn't</B> qualify as a bash by the way).<BR> <BR>*Soundtracks to both movies, although especially FotR.<BR> <BR>*The younger & skinnier hobbits, I don't think people want to see old fat hobbits tottering around... <P>That's what I saw.<p>[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:48 PM   #11
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Everything about Boromir was pretty much perfect. Great choice of actor and character role.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I could praise Sean Bean for his portrayal of Boromir for years if he'd let me. His performance was excellent and his take on such a complicated, wonderful character was inspiring. <P>But then again, I'm just a sucker for Boromir. <P><BR>[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]<P>EDIT: And let me add my own thanks to Kaiserin for starting this topic. I was beginning to become quite frustrated with all the PJ attacks that have been going on here lately and can't seem to find the time to defend him in each thread. Hopefully everyone can stop with the mud throwing long enough to realize all that PJ's done for us and Tolkien's work.<P>Thank you; I shall step down from my soap box now...<p>[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:33 PM   #12
Blackknife

I liked it because pj removed those annoying characters(Bombadil,Goldberry,Glorifindel,Hama,Gaf fer,<BR>the barrowwights,Radagast,Ugluk,Quickbeam,<BR>Elrohir, fatty Bolgar,Lobelia Sacville-Baggins,Lotha Sacville-Baggins,Sandyman the Miller,Shagrat,etc.)it was excellant that he apppeared in the movies he did a good job of replacing those characters with himself.<BR> he is the perfect translator of that stinking rat tolkien thank the pj he made the movies so much better than those dumb books<BR>
Old 08-19-2003, 07:08 PM   #13
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Uh, Blacknife, I hope you are just being sarcastic. <BR> I, for one, agree with the opinions stated above, especially the music, the settings, and Gollum. He was amazing. And the detail. The detail was soo cool. If you watch the extra stuff on the Extended Edition, you will really see how much work the crew put into stuff that would have two minutes of screentime. <P> Personally, I believe that the movies were very good, especially if you don't rate them in view of how closely it follows the books. A lot of the changes PJ made were understandable in light of making the movie more interesting to a wider audience. Of course, that doesn't explain SOME changes, but I won't go into that here.<P> Namarie
Old 08-19-2003, 11:07 PM   #14
Kaiserin
Wight

Sting

Blackknife: "Annoying characters"? - Why do you say they're annoying? ...I really hope you were just being sarcastic.<P>I must agree that the movie-Gollum was fantastic. He could have been a nominee for best actor.<P>The glowing effect about Shadowfax was a little bit extreme, but it looked nice. (That "glowing Galadriel" in front of the Mirror - now, that was <I>really</I> too much. Almost sickening )<p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Kaiserin ]
Old 08-20-2003, 12:44 AM   #15
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I loved many things about the films. They are what brought me back to the books.<P>Some of my favorites were...<BR>The Soundtrack: It is one of my most favorite soundtracks from any film I have ever seen. It fits the film perfectly, and I love the way it flows, changing as the action does, in a way that no other soundtrack I have heard does.<P>The Shire: It is absolutely beautiful, wonderfully "hobbitish", and it fits my vision of it when I read the books. I also thought that Bilbo's birthday came out top notch.<P>Rivendell: When I first saw it I was like "Can I live there? It looks like the most perfect place to live"<P>The Costumes: I am a costume nut, so I love them all. It is amazing how many details they put into the costumes and the makeup. I especially like Galadriel's "Mirror" dress, Eowyn's green gown, the hobbits costumes, and Aragorn's ranger outfit (I am going to be so dissapointed when he has to change into that ugly Gondor number ) <P>The Swords: I am a girl, so I was never much into swords, but I absolutely love the swords from the films. I can't get enough of them. (I know that this is kind of an interesting thing to list as something that was done well, but oh well!)<P>The Ring: Ohhh... The Ring. Now I know why everyone wanted it so much, especially during that one scene on Caradhras, of it in the snow with Boromir.<p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 08-20-2003, 12:49 AM   #16
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

FIrstly, I would like to praise PJ for his interpretation of the Tolkien Books. Of course it does not reflect everyone's idea of the story, but he did a cracking job and made most certainly the best movie of the genre ever.<BR>Now for a few points that I think would have made it even more spectacular:<BR>- The inclusion of Tom and the old forest.<BR>- The inclusion of Glorfindel and the keeping of Arwen's character to the role in the book.<BR>And of course many small comments, but I lift my hat to PJ on this one. Well done mate.....
Old 08-20-2003, 12:55 AM   #17
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Sorry, forgot about the topic one minute there.<BR>I believe PJ's best successes were the ORCS and the impression of a different time and place in general. When watching, you really think you are in Middle Earth nearly participating.<BR>I know I would like to have been a part of it. <P>Also the river scenes were great. Though I was never sure what was reality and what was computer created.<P>A part I loved was Ithilien, it was close to the idea of it in my mind. What a lovely Mumakil...
Old 08-20-2003, 01:09 AM   #18
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also of course... the flight to the ford!<BR>Wasn't it cool when the rapids all of a sudden turned into white horses.. charging the Nazgul down It's very well done of Peter Jackson to include so much detail.. I wonder if the Extended version of ROTK will be the uncut NINE HOURS that was reported *drool*<P>The costumes were also great of course. I particularly liked the Elven armour of the Second Age and the Gondorian mail. If only PJ had directed the Last Alliance exactly like the books, with Gil-galad and Elendil overthrowing Sauron.. and Anarion would have been a nice touch
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:27 AM   #19
hanna_gamgee

Thumbs up

I'm glad someone finally made a positive thread. I Liked PJs interpretation. It was so much better then the cartoons. My favorite parts were Gollum and most of the actors. The backgrounds were great. It was hard to picture the places in my head. Also the battle scenes were a bit hard to figure out from Tolkiens writing. But on screne they made more sence. I agree with everything else that was said.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:52 AM   #20
kboleen
Animated Skeleton

kboleen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too am glad this thread was started. I enjoyed the books and I have enjoyed the movies. There was a lot of things from the book I was really looking forward to seeing in the movie that didn't end up in it. I.E. The Barrow Wight scene from Fellowship and the breaking of Saruman's Staff by Gandalf from Two Towera. And I know things will be left out of ROTK. But I'm okay with that.<P>I knew these movies were going to be good when i first saw the trailer for Fellowship and I saw Legolas walking atop the snow as the rest of the Comapny trudge through it. So that was one of the things I liked. The detail of the Shire was wondeful, as was Rivendell and Moria. I also love the Doors of Durin scene. It looked exactly as a painting I saw of the scene from the book. The Argonath was great, as was Amen Hen. Boromir's death was noble and convincing. I had no problem with it being moved to the end of Fellowship, it was within the first few pages of Two Towers anyway. Helm's Deep expansion was terrific and Theoden's Healing was great too. The actors were all very well casted and Gollum's CGI was outstanding.<p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: kboleen ]
kboleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:26 PM   #21
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Sting

How can anybody call Glorfindel, Elrohir, Quickbeam and Bombadil annoying?ok fine you can but how can you call Glorfindel annoying? Anyway the movie was cool and yes Boromir was cool. So was everyone else but Bilbo was quite different from what I expected... but hey atleast hes there
Old 08-20-2003, 12:35 PM   #22
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I wonder if the Extended version of ROTK will be the uncut NINE HOURS that was reported *drool*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm afraid that's most unlikely. Although it would be awesome, that's for sure!
Old 08-20-2003, 09:03 PM   #23
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Yet <I>again</I>, <B>Only Real Estel</B>. (let me know if this gets irritating) I don't wish to copy and quote your entire post, so I'll just say that you put just about everything I would. <P><B>Gorwingel</B> as well, except that even as a girl, I've always loved swords and bows and arrows. Just about anything that could remotely fall under the category of "Middle Ages" not to mention "Middle Earth" will catch -and hold- my attention.<P>My own certain observations are that Aragorn and Sam (in addition to Boromir) were <I>perfectly</I> represented. Completely flawless. I was pleasantly surprised to see them, and I was speechless the moment I saw both of them; I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, they were so exactly as I had imagined them that it was actually a bit scary. <P>The ringwraiths were awesome, their cries...horribly remarkable.<P>I absolutely loved both movies, and the soundtrack is doubtless the best I have <I>ever</I> heard.<P>I have now become quite certain that I shall go on indefinitely should I choose not to stop. So, rather than fill this entire thread myself, I shall make my last observation and be done.<P><I>For every little thing that Peter Jackson did "wrong", there are a hundred that he did right. And for that, I thank him.</I> <p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:38 PM   #24
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well, it was just that I was a really girly, girly girl. And I was just never really into Middle Ages things (though I was, and still, interested in history, but mainly American and a little British). When I purchased my Sting sword, the salesperson said "I would have never expected someone like you to come over and just buy that".<P>Just to add on to my post. I thought that the visuals of the films were amazing. All the scenery came out perfect.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:46 AM   #25
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

When I first saw FOTR, one of the things that impressed me the most was Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey because I thought at the time "They couldn't have casted Gandalf better if that had <B>tried</B>!" I mean he truly brought Gandalf to life in a way I had always imagined the wizard to be after reading the books!<P>I also remember being impressed by the performances of Sean Astin (oh he's the <B>PERFECT</B> Samwise Gamgee!) and Elijah Wood (He <B>IS</B> Frodo Baggins in my eyes) and Viggo Mortensen (Again he brought Aragorn to life in the way I had imagined the long lost King of Gondor to be!) but I have to say one of the performances that impressed me the most was that of Sean Bean as Boromir.<P>I'd like to go on record now as saying I <B>did not</B> like Boromir before watching FOTR and I certainly didn't understand him! But Sean Bean's performance - Oh my gosh - he <B>humanized</B> Boromir for me and for the first time I understood why Merry and Pippin held him in such high regards! I mean that scene where Boromir fights and dies absolutely had me in <B>TEARS</B> it was so well-acted! I also came to pity Boromir a little because in his pride he didn't realize how <I>evil</I> the Ring was and so it ensnared him way too easily - in his pride he was too much like his father Denethor!<P>Other things I liked was the Shire - was that not beautiful and just as innocent as we had all imagined it? And what a joy to see all those hobbits!<P>I also loved seeing the Elves and I admit I was just like Sam, I wanted to <I>see the Elves more than anything else</I> and wow it was wonderful to see Elrond and Arwen and Legolas and Galadriel at last! I also loved beholding Rivendell and Lothlorien for the first time!<P>Oh and before I forget it - my jaw was on the floor when we beheld the Dwarf Realm of Dwarrowdelf in Moria - the size of that place was absolutely awe-inspiring and breathtaking!<P>LOL - if you're still reading this - one of the sequences that impressed me the most was the Fellowship's flight to the Bridge of Khazad'Dum (not to mention Gandalf's confrontation with the Balrog) - I'm serious in saying that I wish I could buy another copy of FOTR DVD and mail it to George Lucas and said on the movie "Here watch this and take notes - This is the way to make a movie!" - anyway everytime I watch this scene I am impressed in that the enviroment they're in was computer generated and yet I am hard-pressed to find any real evidence of such!<P>And lastly since I need to close and go do other things - I absoloutely adore the soundtrack as it's wonderful and fits the moods of the movie(s) wonderfully. It moved me as much as any of the performances of the cast did!<P><I>*sighs*</I><P>I <B>truly truly truly</B> love these movies and I anticipate ROTK greatly!
Old 08-21-2003, 03:16 PM   #26
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Sting

For starters: <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yet again, Only Real Estel. (let me know if this gets irritating) I don't wish to copy and quote your entire post, so I'll just say that you put just about everything I would<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No it doesn't... <BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>For every little thing that Peter Jackson did "wrong", there are a hundred that he did right. And for that, I thank him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> At least in FotR...<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"They couldn't have casted Gandalf better if that had tried!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <B>Precisly</B> what I thought. The same went for Borimir, Sam, & Saruman, to name a few.<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I mean that scene where Boromir fights and dies absolutely had me in TEARS it was so well-acted!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It didn't have me in tears (that's a guy for you ), but it remains perhaps my favorite part of FotR!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Other things I liked was the Shire - was that not beautiful and just as innocent as we had all imagined it? And what a joy to see all those hobbits!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's one of the reasons why I'm not to upset that they'll be no Scouring, it's hard to imagine it getting ruined ! I don't share Meela's opinion of excesive-hobbitness, but, to each his (or her) own .<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>one of the sequences that impressed me the most was the Fellowship's flight to the Bridge of Khazad'Dum (not to mention Gandalf's confrontation with the Balrog) - I'm serious in saying that I wish I could buy another copy of FOTR DVD and mail it to George Lucas and said on the movie "Here watch this and take notes - This is the way to make a movie!" - anyway everytime I watch this scene I am impressed in that the enviroment they're in was computer generated and yet I am hard-pressed to find any real evidence of such!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Moria probably barely beat out the ending Borimir scenes for my favorite part, so I definatly agree with you there. Yes, it's to bad the Star Wars movies seem to be going down the drain a little (although I will say that I thought Episode 2 was much better than 1) .<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I absoloutely adore the soundtrack as it's wonderful and fits the moods of the movie(s) wonderfully. It moved me as much as any of the performances of the cast did!<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Same here. Best soundtrack I think I've heard in my life.<BR> <BR> Well since I've run out of things to quote I'll part with this: I really do have a lot of good things to say about the movies (especially FotR), & if any of you here know me otherwise...it's only because I make sure to particpate in both sides of the movie-goers opinions.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:08 PM   #27
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It didn't have me in tears<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*laughs* That has to be one of my -if not the- favourite parts in FotR... <BR>Why <I>do</I> people cry when they watch movies? I have <I>actually <B>tried</B></I>, (and being a girl, thought it'd be easy) but I couldn't do it! <BR>Is that weird?<P><B>Frodo Lives!</B><p>[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:12 PM   #28
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>*laughs* Why do people cry when they watch movies? I have actually tried, (and being a girl, thought it'd be easy) but I couldn't do it! <BR>Is that weird?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh it's quite possible. Perhaps you're not the correectly emotional type . My bro had to sit next to a crying <I>guy</I> during the Boromir seen, which is quite rare... .<p>[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 08-21-2003, 06:14 PM   #29
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>My bro had to sit next to a crying guy during the Boromir seen, which is quite rare...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you serious?! *laughing* That's crazy!<P><B>Frodo Lives!</B>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:29 PM   #30
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Yeah, it might get a bit to annoying for me...
Old 08-21-2003, 07:08 PM   #31
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Yes, I suppose that would get irritating after a while. <P>There were a bunch of girls sniffling and crying all over the place in the theatre when I went to see Fellowship with my Dad. But no <I>guys</I>! <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #32
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir. His whole character was brilliant. I think he was one of the most true to the books. His death scene was so moving. Good old Sean Bean!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But then again, I'm just a sucker for Boromir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally understand.<P>The locastions. Bag End, Rivendell, Edoras. My three favorite. So detailed and beautiful.<P>The Black Riders. So creepy! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Swords: I am a girl, so I was never much into swords, but I absolutely love the swords from the films. I can't get enough of them. (I know that this is kind of an interesting thing to list as something that was done well, but oh well!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree with you. They were brilliant. I've always had a 'thing' for swords, ever since I had a plastic excalibar when I was 6.<P>And the costumes. My favorites are Aragorn's, Arwen's chase dress and Boromir's over all look. <P>See, even though I have my complaints I love the movies really!
Old 08-23-2003, 05:29 PM   #33
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I think PJ did pretty well too.<BR>I mean, the actors, the scenery (Ok - he had a bit of help there from NZ - best country in a supporting role ), the amount of detail that went into everything... <P>Almost every little bit of the film could be made a still and turned into a painting. I don't think too many movies can boast they have achieved that.<P>All the major great scenes were already mentioned, so I'll settle for sharing the little things that I loved: (in no particular order):<BR>- the flower of symbelmyne falling on Theodred's grave<BR>- Aragorn's fight with Lurz<BR>- the look on Legolas's face when he approaches the dying Boromir: that is so <BR> <I>elvish</I>, both remote and pitiful somehow<BR>- the pillars of Argonath<BR>- Sam wondering if ever they'd be put into stories, and Frodo's snort 'yeah, like <I>that's </I> ever gonna happen, Sam'<BR>- Theodred reciting part of "Where are the horse and the rider" and the images that accompany it<BR>- the arrival of Shadowfax<P>Right. I' think I'll stop now.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:39 PM   #34
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Finally! I have been waiting for something like this!<BR>The set design was amazing, the amount of detail is incredible. I commend PJ on his cast, several characters left something to be desired but the cast was great. The costumes were well designed. I especially enjoyed the elven dress and wish to acquire a similar wardrobe. The music seemed to really come from ME. It's enchanting.<BR>I found many faults with the films but on the whole I think they are great movies. Can't wait till the next one!
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:56 PM   #35
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Finally! I have been waiting for something like this!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> To all people that say this: <BR> #1- I bear no ill will toward you because of it, but-<P> #2-That's what the 'New Topic' button is for.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:14 AM   #36
Ynys

Sting

The whole visual world of middle-earth was supurb. The country side during 'the three hunters' and all of the sets were magnificent. Rivindel and Lorien were beautiful, and the transformation of Isengard from the lush green to the harsh industrial was well done.<P>My two fav parts however, the ones that pulled my heart strings were the fight/death of Boromir and the fight between Gollum and Smeagol.<P>The death of Boromir i think was better portrayed than in the book (don't flame me). There was a real sence of redemption for his attempt to steal the ring, and the dialog between Aragorn and the dying Boromir had me in tears.<P>As for Gollum/Smegol, I think seeing the internal fight between Gollums two personalities was so moving, didn't you just feel so sorry for Smegol?<P>I was a little disapointed at the portrayal of Faramir, we were never given enough information in the film to truely understand his motivations, he seemed just to be the person to carry out the same mistakes his brother made. However, this is not a strike agains PJ's vision, because i am relived to learn that Faramir has a much larger part in the Extended DVD, so PJ did mean to show us Faramir.<P>yours<BR>Ynys
Old 08-26-2003, 02:21 PM   #37
Thalionmar
Pile O'Bones

Thalionmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The music was spot on. I couldnt imagine any better or more fitting music. I especially like the music when they leave Rivendell. The bit before the crebain. I think its called 'the ring goes south' on the soundtrack.<P>Very good actor choices.<P>The Balrog was fantastic.<P>Barad Dur was immense.<P>Helms Deep and the storming of Isengard are now two of my favourite movie scenes ever.<P>Gollum was spectacular. Andy Serkis got the voice perfectly how I would imagine it.<P>Orthanc also looks sweet, come to think of it all the locations did.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:22 PM   #38
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

Man, I thought it was great. He made a lot of errors, but he had to please as many as he could. Most people aren't appreciative of what PJ did. I mean, just to see the books on film was great. I mean he did some things that made me angry, but you have to be flexible people. If he made it perfect, exactly like the book, number one, it would be like 5 hours, not that I mind, but it would be rather butt-numbing and well, a lot of people wouldn't like it, and number two, it would confuse the crap of everyone. <BR> Well, now that I'm done, I loved the battle sequences. My favorite study in history is the Middle Ages. I love the whole swords and midevil warfare thing. And PJ did make the most incredible battle sequences I've ever seen. Yeah, I dig the action.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:13 PM   #39
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

What I liked about the PJ LOTR movie interpretation? First is my list of what I thought well exceeded my expectations:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Boromir<BR><LI>Bilbo Baggins<BR><LI>Éoywn<BR><LI>The Ring<BR><LI>Sarumann<BR><LI>Grima Wormtongue<BR><LI>Gollum<BR><LI>Henneth Annûn<BR></UL><P>Now for what I think he did that was pretty much what I expected:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Shire<BR><LI>Gandalf<BR><LI>Master Samwise<BR><LI>The Black Riders<BR><LI>Minas Morgul<BR><LI>Bree in general, Prancing Pony in particular<BR><LI>Aragorn<BR><LI>Gimli<BR><LI>Mina s Tirith<BR><LI>Moria<BR><LI>Orcs<BR><LI>Balrog<BR>< LI>Isengard<BR><LI>Celeborn (Extended edition)<BR><LI>Argonath<BR><LI>The Black Gate<BR><LI>Ithilien<BR><LI>Edoras<BR><LI>Helms Deep<BR><LI>Uruk Hai (though they were <I>too</I>organized)<BR><LI>Éomer<BR><LI>Théodred<BR><LI>O sgiliath<BR><LI>Pippen<BR><LI>Merry<BR><LI>The Eye (Sauron)<BR><LI>Easterlings<BR></UL><P>What was good in looks but didn't work in actions:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Theoden <I>(Acting & most of the characterization was good, but the exorcism scene was totally all wrong!)</I><BR><LI>Faramir <I>(Again, the acting was good, but the characterization was all wrong.)</I><BR><LI>Rivendell <I>(too gazebo'y)</I><BR><LI>Lothlorien <I>(Too dark)</I><BR><LI>Southrons <I>(Too much like the Easterlings. Should have made them dark but surely there would have been cries of racism if PJ did.)</I><BR><LI>Nazgul <I>(The winged creatures looked great because they rightfully didn't have beaks, but their movements were well out of sync and appeared too CGI ish)</I><BR><LI>Frodo <I>(The part was well written in screenplay, but sorry, Elijah is not my idea of Frodo Baggins.)</I><BR><LI>Legolas <I>(Orlando did the part ok, with a few unfeeling lines, but he should of had dark hair.)</I><BR><LI>Cave Troll <I>(Good, but I couldn't get over those stupid eyes.)</I><BR><LI>Dead Marshes <I>(It was good, but I always pictured it as swamp gas lights which are more of a bluish flame/)</I><BR></UL><P>And the things that didn't do it at all for me:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Arwen <I>(Where do I start?)</I><BR><LI>Dimrill Gate <I>(Sorry, but it looked like a nuclear wasteland to me, and there was no Mirrormere pool!)</I><BR><LI>Elrond <I>(Welcome to Rivendell Mr Anderson)</I><BR><LI>Wargs <I>(Oversized hyenas? Dingos on steroids?)</I><BR><LI>Galadriel <I>(Cate doesn't look the part, & the nuclear scene didn't cut it.)</I><BR><LI>The collapsing stair if Moria <I>(If there was a scene done badly in the movies, it was this one. A man and a Hobbit shifting their weight making several tons of stone tip back against gravity, and it gets even better! The tons of stone stair starts to fall toward the rest of the fellowship, who stand there as if their piece of stair is strong enough to withstand the impact of the part slamming into it.)</I><BR></UL><P>Well, there you have it.. its what I like and not. Overall, the three movies are done well, and though I would change a few things, its not my interpretation, its PJs.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:38 PM   #40
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The collapsing stair if Moria (If there was a scene done badly in the movies, it was this one. A man and a Hobbit shifting their weight making several tons of stone tip back against gravity, and it gets even better! The tons of stone stair starts to fall toward the rest of the fellowship, who stand there as if their piece of stair is strong enough to withstand the impact of the part slamming into it.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Like I always tell me Dad: It was basically resting level, so if they just got it one tiny little 'grain of sand' sized bit towards the rest of the fellowship; then the rocks own wieght would carry it the rest of the way. As usual, it was a bit over-dramatized, but for the most part I think it was fine.