User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2003, 09:53 PM   #281
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Narello sat twiddling his thumbs by the fire. The day had passed with its many comings and goings and the small sandy-haired boy had been seemingly overlooked by the larger things of life. He longed to be outside again, under the stars and the trees. Awyrgan had been teaching him a bit of the tounges of wolves and he was itching to try some of the more interesting lines out on some of the local livestock.

And here I am stuck, Narello thought with a bit of anger. He quieted himself quickly; the people here had done nothing but aid him in any way they could think of. He glanced around to take in the familier and many new faces flickering in the firelight. Some of the Rangers he recognized from his brief travels with Awyrgan. Awyrgan would wish me to stay here in safety, and I am sure he has told those in charge to watch me. But I desire to be off. Awyrgan had been a better teacher than he had ment to, and had unfortunately instilled the aching to travel in the small boy.

Narello's eyes crept around the room waiting for the right moment to slide out the door when a quiet shout of command seemed to enter his mind from far away bidding him to stay. He started, for the voice (if it had been a voice) was much like that of the weathered man who he attempted so hard to emulate. If he could have he would have shouted "No" back at the voice but he had no such skill. Surprised, he allowed himself to relax and consider his options. Not all that good, he decided. Finally, he arose from his seat and plodded his way over to where the Innkeeper sat. He spoke haltingly and as polite as his rough nature would allow.

"Ma'm." She looked at him clearly and he faltered, feeling a bit embarrased. He cleared his throat and tried again. "Ma'm, I...am bored," he ended rather lamely. "I bet Awyrgan told you to keep me here and look after me but I don't think he meant for me to stay here forever. I would like to leave soon...." His voice trailed off into a mumble about trees and rivers, and he took a moment to recompose himself. "But if you tell me to remain here I will," he finished.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:36 PM   #282
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was so sudden, Don broke off sobbing and Rie had no idea what was going on. Stunned for a moment, Rie stood staring alternately at her and at Pio and the children. Finally she came to her senses. "Don!" she called, and started after her.

She found the girl huddled in a corner, crying her heart out. She looked so forlorn that it almost hurt to look at her: she looked so much like Rie undoubtedly did, huddled by a tree in the pouring rain on the nights when she couldn't afford to stay at an inn on the way from her house. So, worried and sympathetic, Rie knelt beside her. "Don, what's wrong? Are you okay? Do you want to talk about it?"

Don muttered something that Rie couldn't understand, and then the redhead realized that she was handling the situation all wrong: it wasn't at all the time for talking. "Come on, Don," she said, and held her arms out. Don looked up briefly and went to her.

This must be what Momma felt like, when I went crying to her, Rie thought as she hugged Don, like this person needs me for comfort. I can make her feel better. Still cradling the weeping child in her arms, Rie looked up at the ceiling. And at that moment, she felt that her father would indeed have been proud of her--and more, if he wasn't, she didn't care. Feeling a deep but inexplicable change in her heart, Rie turned her thoughts back to Don.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:45 PM   #283
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

As Rie cradled Don, the girl's sobs slowly ceased. She brushed the tears from her eyes and then lay her head on Rie's shoulder.

"When I saw the elf, the one Nuru calls Pio, with those children," she said a quiet and tearful voice, "especially the little boy, it made me think of my family, of my twin brother. And... and... well, it was the first time it really hit me that I'd probably never see them again. I'd never seen a boy before that looked so much like my twin." She looked like she would begin to cry again, but she swallowed the sobs and continued.

"You must think me a real baby, but, oh, Rie, I miss him so much, and I want to see him again. But if I try, my aunts will get hold of me once more. I miss him so much..."

"I know, Don. I miss my family too." Rie kept from saying 'sometimes.' She wanted to say it, to keep Don from questioning her again as to why she wouldn't go home, but she knew it wouldn't be true.

Don looked up at Rie's face and then burst once more into passionate sobs. Rie stroked her brown curls and slowly the sobs ceased once more. Don was fast asleep.

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 01-27-2003, 11:10 PM   #284
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

The man and dwarf talked about many things relating to their proposed journey; provisions, routes, and other things of that sort. At last they came to the most important part of their plan: creating a group of warriors to go with them on their journey.

"I will put a notice in this fine inn to aid our cause," said Bali. "We shall need every warrior we can get."

"It sounds like a reasonable idea," said Eruantalon. "I will have a look around the inn and see who I can recruit."

As Bali stood, he noticed a new face among the people near the bar. A young elf with long blond hair, obviously from the race of the elves of Mirkwood.

There was something about him that intrigued Bali, either the fine bow and longsword he carried, or prehaps his stance. And then the light dawned on him.

It cannot be...
Old 01-28-2003, 02:10 AM   #285
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The graceful elf trotted up the path on a grey horse. She remembered this place, on a night long ago she had come here. It seemed like an age since she had been in this place, so much had happened after leaving here. Beruthiel dismounted her horse and led him to the stables.

She then walked to the front where the door was. In her mind she almost felt afraid to go inside, she hadn't talked to anyone for so long. Plucking up her courage she pushed to door open gently and slipped in as quietly as she could. The inn looked and felt the same as it had before, cosy and warm. There were many people, elves, men, hobbits and, to her disgust, even dwarves.

She walked up to the bar, feeling very unsure of herself and sat down silently. She removed her green hood to reveal her long, brown hair. The bar-maid came up and Beruthiel ordered an ale. She waited to see if anyone would speak to her.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:04 AM   #286
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The voice of the child was plaintive. "Ma'm, I...am bored," he ended rather lamely. "I bet Awyrgan told you to keep me here and look after me but I don't think he meant for me to stay here forever. I would like to leave soon...." His voice trailed off into a mumble about trees and rivers, and he took a moment to recompose himself. "But if you tell me to remain here I will," he finished.

Pio looked the young boy directly in the eye. ‘I will not keep you should you choose to go.’ She watched as his face registered a mild surprise and saw his shoulders slump as if he had prepared himself for another answer. She reached out and took his chin in her slender hand, turning his face from side to side as she scrutinized it closely. ‘You body appears young, Nárello. And at first I thought to keep you here, safe, as one your age should be kept. But inside you are not young. And your fëa longs to return to those places where it feels most alive and vibrant.’

She sat down on a stool, feeling the twins awaken with her, and reach out to touch the one who spoke with their ammë. ‘Where would you like to go, Nárello?’ she asked softly. ‘And what can I do to help you get there?’
Old 01-28-2003, 01:19 PM   #287
Falathion
Pile O'Bones

Falathion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Yer thinkin alot there, arn't ya?" Turgon said, beaming a smile at Jesse. The wizard returned an unconfortable look.

"Bah!" Turgon sighed. "To yer question. I am here with me caravan actually. Comin from the mighty boulders of the Bluemountains. Me brother is in town also. Running around the town he is, trying to find some friend of his that has offered money for some iron ore." He snickered softly at the thought of gold and mines.

"Anyway, we are heading for Bree, and then south to Tharbad. And if we have something left to trade or sell, we'll probably head all the way to Edoras." Turgon smiled, and the wizard returned it.

"A long journey lays ahead..." Turgon grinned. "And sore feet!" He chuckled and nodded. "Dwares weren't made for walking long distances." He giggled. "But for gold and gleaming stones we'll do anything."

"So what is yer buissness here in the Shire? Why passing through here? That is not common to me understandings?"
Old 01-28-2003, 01:21 PM   #288
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Thank you. Laurie, was it?" Durmán said as she placed the plate before him. He felt a little awkward, for he was not used to being served like this. The meal smelled delicious and suddenly Durmán realized how hungry he really was. For days he had not eaten anything else than hard bread and some fruits and berries.

" I think I didn't introduce myself yet. My name is Durmán", he said and bowed gently to the girl.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:34 PM   #289
Ardwenna
Pile O'Bones

Ardwenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ardwenna paused at the door to the inn, reluctant to enter. She had never heard so many people together in one building, so loud, yet so merry at the same time. She brushed the worst of the dust off her green cloak and pants and tried to stomp off the dried mud on her boots. After she adjusted the small pack on her back, she steeled herself and opened the door.

As she entered the inn, her eyes widened and an unbidden smile curled the corners of her lips. Now this looked like an interesting place. She walked to a table that seemed unoccupied and took off her pack, setting it down on the chair nearest her. Sitting down in the chair beside her pack, she took off her cloak and stretched out her legs.

I wonder where I can get some water or tea here? she thought to herself. She was so thirsty after her long walk that day, and water had been scarce all throughout her journey. But where was the host/hostess in this place?
Old 01-28-2003, 02:57 PM   #290
Jesse
Animated Skeleton

Location: My home is in the Twin Cities, but my soul is at Loch Ness in Scotland
Jesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*Jesse, the Wizard looks at Turgon and smiles.

"I've been thinking alot lately yes. See, I've been having strange visions. Ones I cannot begin to explain. Usually visions have an explanation behind them," Jesse says as he looks at the dwarf. He understands that Dwarves were not made for long walks. They are mountain folk and rarely venture outside of their kingdom. Perhaps I can help this dwarf, the wizard thinks to himself. He grabs his green staff and stands up. Now his green robe is very bright. The sun is shining and it brightens the wizard's robe even more.

"I came to the Shire in hopes that one could translate my visions. My name is Jesse the Green. Now though, I see that I must come with you on your journey. It could renew me and possibly we'll meet someone along the way that could translate my visions. It is sad that I cannot do this myself. I have something that we could trade," Jesse says as he opens up a box and reveals a blue robe with gold on it. The robe was his old robe before he became a Green wizard. The wizard then looks at Turgon with a smile.

"So, Turgon, what do you say? How about you and I going on a journey together?"*
Old 01-28-2003, 02:58 PM   #291
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
'Where would you like to go, Nárello?’ she asked softly. ‘And what can I do to help you get there?’
Nárello stood stunned for a few seconds before realizing that the elf had just agreed to what he had asked for. Not expecting this, he was at a loss for words. "I want to go....outside....somewhere with trees, streams, wild animals, wolves." His green eyes flashed. "I don't really know," he finally admitted with a groan. "It is so simple when Awyrgan is around - I find out where he is and travel from here to there and then I tell him things and then he teaches me and now he's gone and I don't know where he's going or if he will come back because he wouldn't tell me and I'm afraid that know no one will be around to teach me more of the things I want to know and I don't know what I'm supposed to do and...." He caught himself and did his best to stop his babbling. "Sorry," he muttered.

"Can I have a drink?," he asked. "I want to just go outside and walk for a very long time, maybe all the way through the Old Forest or somewhere like that. But I think I might come back here sometime, Awyrgan seems to like it and so do I." He paused, and when he spoke again he sounded very much like a grown-up. "You know, Awyrgan was like a father to me even though he would never admit it. And whenever he leaves without telling me when he will be back I am at a loss as to what to do." He gave her his best effort at his infamous grin. "Could I have an apple?"
Old 01-28-2003, 03:55 PM   #292
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hiri grinned as Astarielle came back inside the inn, water running down her cloak. "Wet then?" Astarielle shook the water from her cloak and sat down at the bar with her ale again. "Yes, wet would be a good way to describe it," she replyed sarcastically. Hiri laughed. "At least it's warm in here."

Sipping her ale and smiling gratefully, Astarielle replyed, "Yes, I am indeed glad." She looked around the inn. "Much better than under a bush, or by the side of the road. No fire, or a dry place to sit..." She pondered all the times she had weathered a storm without the warmth of an inn. Smiling again, she said, "Yes. Undoubtedly much better."

Setting her pint of ale down, Hiri said, "I rather like the rain and wet. I was the strange hobbit in Bree, because I like to swim, a most strange and disturbing habit for a young hobbit lass."

Astarielle remarked ruefully, "I like swimming well enough, but not with all my clothes on." Laughing, Hiri took another sip of the generous pint of ale. "Well, tell me something about your travels Astarielle! I may not be an adventurer myself, but I like to hear of adventures. Or perhaps," she added, "we could get something to eat. I am quite hungry."
Old 01-28-2003, 03:56 PM   #293
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Taking off his dark green cloak Burzdol walked to the bar counter. "A malt beer please," he said to the bar tender as he looked around. "Here you go," the bar tender said. The beautifully crafted mug hit his lips.

Ah, finally something familiar. Wait a minute, who's that dwarf over there. No he can't be, can he? Burzdol looked at the familiar face standing next to a man. Who could that be?

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Old 01-28-2003, 04:13 PM   #294
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

She was not taken in by the grin. ‘There are apples in the kitchen, if you wish one.’ She got up from her stool and walked him there, offering him one of the shiny red Shire fruit and a cool glass of water from the sink pump. He followed her, as she bade him to her rooms.

Once there, she looked through the small closet to the left of the door. It was at times like this she wished she were a tidier person. ‘Ah! Here it is.’ she said, fishing out a small backpack from a pile at the back. She handed the much used leather pack to the boy, who looked at it in a bemused manner.

‘Pack it up with all you wish to take or think you will need.’ She picked up an unused drawing pad from her desk and two drawing charcoals. ‘Draw me a picture of your journey as you go along, little master.’ She smiled at him and placed the items in the front pocket of the pack.

‘I shall have the cook leave a packet of food for you, a skin of water, and some apples. You can leave tomorrow if you wish, and go as far as the food will take you.’ She slipped a few silver pennies into a small pouch and tying it securely, put it into one of the side pockets. ‘Use these if you need to find a safe room for the night.’

‘You have a dagger, I have seen. So, you will have some measure of defense should you need it. And you have your sharp wits, so you should do well.’

He stopped midbite of his apple, realizing she was letting him walk out the door and meant it to be soon.

‘Anything else you require . . .?’
Old 01-28-2003, 04:26 PM   #295
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

With the catlike eyes appeared a face from the shadows. It was beautiful face that stared at Champignonne. Pink lips, and dark brows framed those strange eyes. He had also a noble nose. His hair was dark, Champignonne could not decide in that dark light, if it was black or a dark brown.

"Excuse me," spoke the being in the Common Tongue, "I did not mean to frighten you. Could you direct me to the Green Dragon Inn?"

"Um. . .eh. . " the frightened hobbit was speechless, but the being smilled comfortingly.

"I am sorry that I did not introduce myself. I am Tiquandel, and have travelled here from Rivendell."

"Rivendell? Then that would mean you are an elf!" In amazement, she bowed her head, as if in reverence of Tiquandel. He chuckled.

"And you, my dear, are a hobbit by the name of. . . "

"Uh, Champignonne"

"Well met. Now, would you show me to the Inn?"

"Certainly." With this, she walked with him to the door of the Inn and stopped.

"Will you not enter with me?" Tiquandel asked inquisitively. She noticed he had no horse.

"I was to leave this place. . . "

"Surely another night will do no harm. Come! Let me thank you and know you better, hobbit girl. I will pay for your board."

"It's not that. I have money, but. . . "

"Come! Let us go in." With this, he took her hand and opened the door. Some lokked at the odd pair, others were too absorbed in their own conversations. The elf walked Champignonne up to the bar, and asked to be served, adding "Indeed, you must be hungry, for I have heard the appetite of a hobbit is such that it cannot be compared with any being in Middle Earth!" He smilled jovially, and waited for their order.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:38 PM   #296
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The chain mail armored vest gleamed brightly even in the gloomyly lighted room. His brown pants and raged cape looked dull compared to the Gondorian armor. This apperal made him blend somewhat in to the rest of the crowd.

While the elf assesed his clothing the inn door opened. Since he happened to be in the back he couldn't see the person that walked in. A relitivily small elf walked over to Burzdol. "We need to talk," he said. The two walked to Burzdol's table and started to talk.

"The King of Gondor and your mother sent me here to you," the short elf said.

"Who are you, are you a messanger for my father," Burzdol asked hastily.

"Well," he began,"my name is Orlik son of Ontik and I guess you could say I'm Bi....I....I mean your father's messanger."

Burzdol persisted,"Well?"

"Well....I don't know how to say this. I....I....I am sorry to alert you that....um.... well....your father....um died in battle two days ago."

"What?" the elf roared as he raised form his chair. The whole inn looked over.

"Sit down, it's alright," he said, watching the face turn back to what they were doing.

Stifling a cry Burzdol replied,"What happened?"

"It was near the borders of Mirkwood. Your father and a few of the best warriors, including myself embarked on horses to see your mother and some other elves in the area. I think there were about twenty of us. A patrol of orcs came at us at the borders of the forest and only one escaped, on a warg I think. We couldn't catch him. By the time we caught up to him he had gotten about one hundred orcs. When the elves arrived we had already been anhialated. Your father and I were the only ones left. Doctors did all they could, but your father didn't make it. He just kept talking about you whilst he lay there. He said to tell you to go and help fight with the dwarf Bali. He also told me to give you this, it's a small token he got from Rivendell when he was just born. He said it was hand crafted by Lord Elrond himself. Though that's all he told me, well before he died." Orlik handed Burzdol a very long slender dirk.

"Thanks," Burzdol said as tears flooded his eyes.

"I must be going now, I thank you for your time and hope you feel better," and with that Orlik left the inn and Burzdol in the same.

As Burzdol watched the elf leave thoughts and memories filled his mind. Now I must find Bali, I now have a reason to fight.

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Old 01-28-2003, 06:47 PM   #297
TheDoc

1420!

Max sat in his favorite wooden chair, by the fire, with a pint of the best stuff in the shire. 'God, it's been a long day,' he thought. Max had been slaving away in the field all day, and it was tiresome work. Max was a young gardener for Podula Proudfoot, and he was itching to get out of the shire. He was odd for a Hobbit by stature; he was born thin, and tall, very tall, 4 foot 8 (which, for a hobbit, is gargantuan). He glanced around the inn, and saw many boisterous folks deep in talk with other travelers, and in a corner, a few men playing cards in a tight nit bunch. Max got up, repositioned himself, and sat back down ahain. He hoped something eciting would happen to him. He thirsted for a good adventure.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:46 PM   #298
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another elf had entered the inn. She was very fair and seemed as though she had journeyed far. Maybe she has also come from Mirkwood. Ruth glanced at her with her greye eyes quickly. The elf was weather stained and was brushing mud off her boots.

Ruth got up from her table and walked over to the elf. "Mae Govannen! Welcome to the Green Dragon. My name is Beruthiel of Mirkwood, may I join you?" She asked, smiling kindly at the elf.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:32 PM   #299
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

"Good day to you 'mam, do you happen to know who the inn keeper is? I'm sorry if I'm intruding, but I need to get a room," Burzdol asked a beautiful elven maiden.

Where is Bali, where is he. Wait a minute, that dwarf over there seems like the jolly roaring friend I know. Maybe it's just my imagination.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:46 PM   #300
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie smiled. Don looked so peaceful, except for the tears that lingered on her cheeks. With the edge of her sleeve she wiped them off, and gently lifted the sleeping girl. She still had her room, so she carried Don into it.

She put her down on the bed and pulled the covers over her--of course, the covers had been down, since somebody would've taken Rie to the asylum if the bed had been made. She took one of the pillows and a blanket from the drawers and settled herself on the floor beside the bed. She put her arms behind her head, and stared up at the ceiling contemplatively. What a day--and it wasn't quite over yet, was it, she reminded herself. Likely not, days seemed to last longer at the Inn than they did in other places. Well, she had nowhere to go, and Don was sleeping like a baby.

This gave her some time to think. Now if only she could organize all the chaos in her mind to form some coherent thought...but no, she was awfully tired...

Before long, Rie was asleep, too.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #301
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

The sun had not yet risen over Bywater when Don opened her large brown eyes. She found she was in a warm bed, and she recoginized the room as Rie's. She heard Rie breathing softly next to the bed.

Quietly pushing the covers back, Don creeped to the window as dawn broke. Tears stun her eyes as she remembered how her mother woke her to see the dawn a week before she died.

Rie was stirring, so Don ran back to the bed and jumped in, pulling the covers up to her chin and closing her eyes. She didn't want Rie to know she had been awake.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:03 AM   #302
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Umbria bowed her head. "do you not believe? you will, in time, for what I have to show you will change your mind. yes.. i am sorry... I should have told you" she looked at Durman "I an elf, an elf with the gift of perception, for which i can sence emotions and such.. I do apologise, I did not know you intended to no let known your mission. But I will not tell"

"a few months ago, on the western trail, I encountered bandits who attempted to rob me. I rode away from Dol Amroth, with out the knowing of even my liege. To my aid, came a young man who slew them and told me his name was Sinnediel... this of course I saw through that... his heart is weak.., i could see his name was Endel"

she smiled. "you have the same eyes.." she sat down " I myself had once to search for my own son, only to find him dead, i know too well your anguish" she paused.
"now, may I ask you a question before i tell you something you do not know?"

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-29-2003, 05:12 AM   #303
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio left the boy to his apple and his thoughts. When he had figured out what he needed, he would come to her. She had other areas of concern that she must see to and soon. Lótessë had almost run its course, and Nárië would be upon her. In just thirty two days her son and daughter would greet the world, followed soon after by the wedding she and Cami were in the midst of planning.

She left the room, closing the door firmly behind her, and made her way to an empty table by the fireplace. A few sheets of paper were grasped in one hand, and the inkwell in another, while tucked on top of her left ear was a quill.

The Inn was busy today, humming with a multitude of conversations. Pio focused on the paper she had placed before her, and blocked out the noises and voices that surrounded her. The quill’s tip looked dull. She took the sharp little knife from her right boot top and honed it to an acceptable point. Dipping it quickly in the inkwell, she tapped off the excess ink and began to write.

Top of the list was the word Midwife. Now who did she know who could recommend one to her? Pio rubbed the feathered end of the quill against her cheek. She grinned as the ideal source for information came to her. Amaranthas! Tomorrow she would ride to see her and together they would sort this problem out. She wrote the venerable Hobbit’s name next to the word, and went on to number two.

Inkeeper. Both she and Cami would be unavailable starting mid-Nárië. Summers, as she understood from the regulars to the Green Dragon, were quite busy times of the year. Besides the locals, looking for a refreshing drink on a hot summer’s evening, there were many thirsty travelers on all sorts of business along the roadways at this time of year. They would all be wanting food, drink, and lodging as they passed through Bywater on their ways east or west, and the Green Dragon would be their place for it.

‘I wonder if one of the long time guests here would mind taking on the position.’ Her brow furrowed as she ran through the list. With a hesitating hand she wrote the name Derufin down. He seemed capable of doing the job well. He was a friendly sort, even handed in his approach to others, and seemed quite capable of handling himself in a sticky situation. ‘I’ll talk to him today about.’ she said to herself, drawing a firm line under his name.

She felt satisfied she had made this start on her list. Most of the other pressing issues concerned the wedding. They would have to be dealt with when Cami made an appearance. The Hobbit had already started a list of her own, one much more extensive than Elf’s poor short one.

Pio sat back in her chair, looking at the flames of the small fire. Her mind wandered from present matters, questing south to see where Mithadan might be. She watched the countryside as it sped past him, heard the hoof beats of the horse as it flew north, felt the breezes cool him as they rushed past his cheeks and brow.

Where are you now? she asked, feeling his mind turn to her. We miss you greatly. She chuckled, thinking how long it had been since he had last seen her. I fear you will not recognize me when you see me. Your son and daughter grow apace, and I sail slowly through the hours like some great merchant ship laden with treasures. Were you to place me side by side with the Star, I think I might overshadow her! She is a trim vessel, and I am not these days. She placed an image in her mind of a great lumbering vessel coming into port. One of the ships of Númenor that had sailed the seas in the early days to Vinyalondë and the Grey Havens. She laughed as he perceived it.

Someone was calling to her. Needing something seen to. She bade farewell to Mithadan, a faint kiss brushing his brow. Ride hard, beloved. she called to him. I would see you soon.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:53 AM   #304
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali stood out of his chair so quickly that his boot curled around one of the legs, toppling him over (to the general laugh of the elven audience). "Had one too many ales, aye dwarf?!"

Ignoring them, but thinking murderous thoughts to himself, Bali pulled himself up and attempted to run through the room, bumping, tripping, and generally nocking patrons over.

But when he arrived at the table he had seen the elf at, it was no elf but two strange men who sat there, deep in conversation. He turned away from them and scanned the crowd. My!, the inn had gotten full.

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 01-29-2003, 07:10 AM   #305
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Eruantalon saw Bali's mishap at his table first-hand, and though he laughed along, was worried about his legs and was quite glad to see him stand up and hurry off. Now where is that dwarf off to again?

Following (or attempting to) Bali through the noisy crowd, he found him standing at a small table where two men sat. The dwarf was scanning the crowd, obviously looking for someone.

"My friend," said Bali, "unless my eyes have decieved me, I just saw the elf Burzdul, who I knew when I was living at the Lonely Mountain.

We were good friends, but then, about a year before I left on my journey, he went south from his home in Mirkwood to study at a famous school in Gondor. I thought, as I was not going there, that I might not get to see him again. But here he is, in this vary same in..."

Bali's face turned to a frown. "But he is gone! I saw him sitting here, and now he has disappeared."

"What does he look like?," asked Eruantalon. "I will help you look for him. If we split up, we can find him quicker."

"He is an elf no younger than I, but that won't help you much as they always look young. He wears Gondorin armor, drab brown pants and a ragged brown cape, as he took off his green Mirkwood hood. His bow is over there, by the rack where my axe is, but he still carries a long, single-edged elven sword. Oh, I am forgetting; he has long, golden blond hair."

Eruantalon smiled. "Well, that should help us. I will look around in the crowd, you check the rooms in the back. Meet back at our table when you are finished." Then they left the table, going their separate ways.

Old 01-29-2003, 09:01 AM   #306
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Never before had she ventured into the west this far. Her aimless wandering along with her stout steed had carried her from the southern plains.

The lady of Rohan dismounted and bid her horse to the stablehand before removing her hood and entering the inn. Her long golden locks were pulled back from her face, accompanied by a single feather. At her side a sword lay sheathed.

She looked around before taking up a position against one of the walls. There was quite the variety of beings dwelling here.

Ai..gwaith nin, man govannas daer

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Rochelle ]

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Rochelle ]

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Old 01-29-2003, 09:42 AM   #307
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

"Excuse me again Pio, I think that's your name. But do you happen to know who the inn keeper is and where I can get a room," the pretty elven maiden seemed to be content with what she was doing at the moment.

Well, now that's something you don't see everyday. What a strange dwarf over there. Burzdol watched from afar a dwarf tripping and running around. Burzdol laughed to himself, just what I needed to raise my spirits.

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Old 01-29-2003, 10:29 AM   #308
Ardwenna
Pile O'Bones

Ardwenna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

"Hello Beruthiel, my name is Ardwenna, formerly of Rivendell. Currently, well..wandering I guess you'd call it."she smiled "Pleased to meet you. Please join me." Ardwenna indicated one of the wooden chairs at the table.

She looked around again. "You wouldn't by any chance know where I could get some water would you? I haven't been here before, so I'm not sure if I should wait for a hostess or just approach the bar myself." Ardwenna smiled "And there are so many different people here is it always this...busy?"

ooc:ruth, I'm assuming you're talking to me, right?

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Ardwenna ]
Old 01-29-2003, 10:49 AM   #309
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Mama...fire...hot..NO!!!!"

Vivi bolted up. Tom was lieing next to her, screaming, crying, caught in a terrible nightmare. She turned to him, started to shake him.

"Tom, Tom, wake up. Tom, it´s only a dream, wake up, please. TOM!"
He opened his eyes, staring at her.

"Vivi? Mama...fire..." He burst into tears, burrying his face in her lap. She gently stroked him, rocked him. He cried on. She continued rocking him and then, quite suddenly, began to sing.

"In the Woods of Michel Delving
on the road to the Far Downs
Stand three trees
Stand three rocks
Is the oldest pool

Every Night the stars they shine
on this pool and awake
the fairy queen
have you seen
Her and her people?"

It was "The Ballad of the Fairy Queen", a song Tom dearly loved, a song his mother had sung for him every night. By instinct, Vivi knew this tune was the only thing that could have calmed him down. And really, he had stopped crying.
She got up from her bed and opened the curtains to the small room the three of them were sharing. Golden, blazing sunlight filled it. Emma, who had slept peacefully, despite of all the noise, woke up. "Mowwing!" she crowed. Vivi gave her a kiss on the cheek. She dressed herself and the kids, then they went down for breakfast.

As soon as they entered the big room, Tom let go of Vivi´s hand and ran to the bar, jumping right into Pio´s arms. Vivi followed him to pick him up, looking concerend.

"I am so sorry" she told Pio, eben though the elf didn´t seem to mind.
"Good Morning by the way. Could we maybe have some breakfast?"
Old 01-29-2003, 10:58 AM   #310
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The mistrel had finished his story. So Elwen thought to herself, a strange one indeed. The Dwarf seated with them had suddenly jumped to his feet and then fallen over. Elwen gasped and held her breath but he was fine and was soon off throught the crowd. Erulon excused himself and ran quickly after the dwarf leaving the two maidens at the table. It had all happened so quickly.

"Well, dear friend Nostawen." Elwen spoke to the elven maid seated beside her. " I guess that they will return and we must amuse ourselves until they do!"

She laughed and flicked her hair behind her shoulder. her fingers ran down the silver bow still in her lap as she gazed after the disappearing figure of Erulon.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:25 PM   #311
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
" I think I didn't introduce myself yet. My name is Durmán", he said and bowed gently to the girl.
Laurie smiled and watched Durmán enthusiastically start in on the stew. Laurie waited on a few more customers and was quite shocked at the number of people gathered. And more kept coming in! She began to wonder how Pio was going to find rooms and food enough for them all. Pio looked rather involved in writing something down however, so Laurie decided not to bother her. After handing out another cup of warm tea, she returned back to where Durmán was now tackling the warm bread.

"Durmán, what brings you to the Shire? I had always heard that it was supposed to be a quiet place, but since I have arrived here, the inn has only become more busy! I cannot imagine what is bringing all these people to this peaceful land."
Old 01-29-2003, 12:31 PM   #312
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Rie and Don walked down the stairs, hand in hand. When they reached the common room Rie sat the hobbit girl down at a table and said, "I'll see if I can get some breakfast for us."

When Rie had left, Don slid off her chair and walked over to where Vivi, Emma, and Tom were standing together. The elder girl was holding the boy, but she put him down and held his hand. Don walked over and stood in front of him. "I heard your name was Tom," she said.

The little boy nodded.

"I'm Don." The hobbit girl hesitated, and looked at the boy. She felt tears threatening to come to her eyes, so she spoke quickly. "Is it okay," she whispered, "if I be your friend?"
Old 01-29-2003, 01:34 PM   #313
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Durmán looked at the Elven woman, unable to decide if he should believe her or not. He couldn’t understand his own behaviour; finally someone who knew something about Endel and he wasn’t more excited! But he found it so hard to understand.

Eight long years with no news about him and now this strange lady – seer if she was to be believed – claimed to have met him. And the thing that surprised Durmán the most was the description of Endel defending her against the bandits, even killing some of them?

Durmán could only remember Endel as a young boy; blond, curly hair, innocent, joyous character, in every possible way the opposite of himself. Could this be true? But it was indeed a long time from the day Endel had left and if he really was alive, he should be 17 or 18 now… Durmán turned to the woman again, observing her closely.

“ You say you are a seer, but how can I be sure that what you say is true? I only know that I haven’t seen Endel for eight long years now and I only remember him as a young boy. You can imagine how it surprises me to hear what you have just told me. How can you be sure that it was indeed him ? How can you claim to see in his heart?” Durmán paused. And why would he have lied about his name, he thought to himself. Was he in danger?

“And tell me, lady Everdawn, did he speak of his mother? For did you know that he is only my half brother? He and her mother left us eight years ago, after…” Durmán didn’t finish his sentence. He had already said too much. He turned to Laurie, who was standing nearby. “I am sorry if I am not paying you enough attention, but as you may have overheard, I am looking for my brother and this lady claims to have seen him. This is the very reason I have come to the Shire, to answer your question: to find my brother. This is one of the last places in Middle Earth where I still haven’t been to on my travels.”
Old 01-29-2003, 02:46 PM   #314
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

Astarielle ordered a steaka and ale pie for both Hirilaelin and herself. While they waited for them to arrive Astarielle began to tell the tales of her adventures. However as thought that others might want to listen too, so she lept up on to the bar adn gave a piercing whistle.

----------everyone fell silent---------------

"Those who would like to her the tales of a trvelling elf from Mirkwood, join Hirilaelin and I by the bar." Said Astarielle in a loud voice, well loud for an elf anyway.

Astarielle jumped down and said aside to Hiri, "I think that got there attention!". Hiri smiled and chuckled, "I do believe your right Astar", Hirilaelin said as a band of hobbits, elves and dwarves came over.

"First, I need another drink." Said Astarielle looking around at the group hoping someone would offer to buy one. "When everybody is quite ready I shall begin."

"I do not know where to start for to know where to start you need to know where to end. But as my life is not yet over it leaves me in a dilemma. Would you like to hear my story from my birth or just the great courageous battle parts?" She said raising her voice slightky at the end of the sentence and glancing once more at the group.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:52 PM   #315
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hiri smiled as a crowd of people cam over to the bar. "Well, it did get their attention Astar."

Quote:
"Would you like to hear the story from my birth,or just the great corageous battle parts?"
Hiri chuckled softly. "The battle parts sound good to me!"
Old 01-29-2003, 03:39 PM   #316
Legolas'_girl
Pile O'Bones

Legolas'_girl has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Melcirial wandered over to the bar. For a while, she had sat unnoticed in the corner, listening to fascinating tales of battles and of days long past. The young elf approched the edge of the gathering crowd and timidly made her way to the front of the throng. She found an out of the way place and sat down on the floor, folding her long, light grey cloak around her body. Quietly she sat in this manner, waiting for the tale to begin. She was terribly thirsty, but as she was unsure of the locals' treatment of newcomers, she stayed silent.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:48 PM   #317
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She too in turn accompanied the gatherers at the bar. She herself had been raised in Mirkwood though she was not of their elvish race. Through their rearing and guidance she had been taught their language, archery, rope weaving among other things.

"I have great interest in hearing of your Mirkwood tales, mellon"

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Old 01-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #318
Jesse
Animated Skeleton

Location: My home is in the Twin Cities, but my soul is at Loch Ness in Scotland
Sting

*Jesse, the Wizard nods at Melcirial and smiles. His green tunic glistens in the sunlight. It is not often he sees an Elf wearing a grey cloak. The wizard walks up to her.

"My name is Jesse. I see you are new to these parts. Perhaps I can be of assistance? May I get you a drink?" the Wizard askes as he looks at Turgon. He mouths the words We will continue our conversation later. Jesse then smiles back at Melcirial.

"So tell me Melcirial, what brings you to the Shire?"*

OOC: Welcome to the BarrowDowns by the way.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:15 PM   #319
Legolas'_girl
Pile O'Bones

Legolas'_girl has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The young elf was surprised that one so great as a wizard would take care to notice a poor stranger alone in a land far from home. Slowly she nodded and smiled back at Jesse.

"Suilad. Thank you for the drink, Jesse. And as for my reason for being here, I am only a traveler who accompanied elder family to the west and I return now alone, for I wish not to leave Middle Earth."
Old 01-29-2003, 04:24 PM   #320
Jesse
Animated Skeleton

Sting

*Jesse smiles at her and before them appears two mugs. One is filled with and the other is filled with grape juice. The Wizard holds the grape juice in his hands and nods at Suilad.

"I drink this to your health Suilad. See, I am not like most wizard folk. I talk to the people that most wizards dispise. I find that the friends I make with those folk are lifelong friendships, versus the friends I make with wizard folk. I came to the Shire in hopes someone could tell me what the visions I've been having mean. So far, no one has helped me. Turgon over there is a kind dwarf. I'm hoping to join him on a quest soon. My apologies for calling you another name Me'lady," the wizard said as he takes a sip of his grape juice. Then he bowed. He grabs his green staff and looks around him. Jesse scratches his long white beard.

"I don't suppose you can translate visions?" the wizard askes Suilad.*