User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2003, 05:58 PM   #161
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Though the room was full, it was not as crowded as first impression made, and Laurie was able to identify many of the customers as guests from the previous night's party. One lady, however, Laurie did not remember and her eye was often drawn to where she sat, head bowed and hidden in shadows by a large hood.

A moment later, however, the cloak was removed in a graceful movement, and its striking owner revealed, black hair rippling down her back. Laurie was slightly disappointed, she had expected to see the blonde hair of her people, but she swallowed the feeling and slowly approached the woman, curious but trying to respect her privacy. She cleared her throat and when the lady's head turned her way, quickly bowed her head and, grasping her white dress, made a small curtsy.

"Good morning, fair lady. I could not help but see you are newly arrived at the Green Dragon and was wondering if you would be needing anything, and I also wished," she added with a small smile, looking into the lady's eyes with her own light blue, "to compliment you on your beautiful steed, if that indeed is him in the stables."
Old 01-19-2003, 06:40 PM   #162
Rosemary Took

Sting

Rosemary Took walked up to the pub quickly, looking up at the sign she muttered, 'Ah, looks alright, better here than home.' She had brown, curly hair like most hobbits (which she hated though) and was quite tanned from working in the sun.

She pushed open the door to see a lot of different races and it was really crowded,'Tis a bit strange' she thought to herself. The smell of the food made up for this though and she walked up to the bar and asked for something to eat and an ale and went to find a seat.

When the server gave her the drink she said, 'Might I ask who the innkeeper is? I may need to stay a night or two'

Old 01-19-2003, 08:37 PM   #163
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Quiet, cowardly Belin had returned to the common room, once she’d made certain that the party had ended. She had always disliked parties, and her aversion had not diminished since mentally taking inventory and finding that the last two parties she had attended had involved, respectively, being knocked to the ground by an airborne elf and being rather effectively attacked with a large and heavy chair. No doubt this had been a relatively safe party by comparison, but still...

In any case it was over now. Belin smiled at the loud and cheerful dwarf who had just walked in. “Dwarin isn’t here, Master Turgon, and, much as he’s missed, talking to him certainly won’t bring him back. Are you sure you haven’t had enough beer as it is?”

Turgon blinked at her. “But... it says on the sign…”

Belin sighed. “Why don’t I get you something nice while you look around a little. See who’s here. It’s quite a lovely company. You too,” she added, turning a smile of welcome to the hobbit girl who’d just walked in. “A room? You’ll want to talk to Cami, or to Mistress Pio. She glanced around, wondering whether her absence had been remarked upon. “And anyone here can give you news.”
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 01-19-2003, 09:21 PM   #164
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Champignonne never heard an answer. She assumed they were too busy, or that her voice was too small. Soon it would be time to leave this inn, but she couldn't go now. No, she had to wait. She felt something wothin her. She barely noticed the entrance of several people, except the hobbit, whom she accepted (in her mind) as a wandering soul like her. She wanted to talk to this hobbit, but her shyness wouldn't let her.

That something, though, it made her feel cranky, impatient. It certainly was not a lack of food, for that was already done with (Champignonne had eaten about three plates of she knew not what). She couldn't concentrate, she was buried in her own thoughts. Utter distress rushed over her like a wave of superior power.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:02 AM   #165
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

"Cami, Cami? Are you there?" Piosenniel banged insistently on the door, waiting for an answer. What a day for her assistant to decide she needed a little vacation! There were folk downstairs asking for rooms, with absolutely no one available to help them.

When Pio had received no response early that morning, she'd turned away and let Cami sleep, thinking her friend needed extra rest after the party. But now it was the middle of the afternoon, and still she'd not seen or heard from Cami.

Sighing with exasperation and uncertain what to do, Pio hastily searched the keys at her waist and came up with the one to open Cami's door. The Elf slid the key in the lock and turned it, pushed the door ajar, and walked into her room. Cami Goodchild was nowhere to be seen, but the window sash above her bed was pushed up to the top, and just outside was a ladder still leaning against the wall.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-20-2003, 02:59 AM   #166
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

Arawyn slid the hood off her head, revealing her shiny black hair, and sighed.

I do not want to leave, yet unfortunatly I must.

A beautiful lady approached her.

Quote:
"Good morning, fair lady. I could not help but see you are newly arrived at the Green Dragon and was wondering if you would be needing anything, and I also wished to compliment you on your beautiful steed, if that indeed is him in the stables."
Arawyn smiled. "Good morning to you! Yes, I am fairly new...I did manage to arrive last night, and visit the party. What a fantastic time! I don't need much, maybe some food for the road? And yes...my horse is out in the stables... have the stable boys prepared him to go?"

"Oh, you must go? So soon?" Lumiel sighs.

"Unfortunatly yes, there is urgent business awaiting me." Arawyn answered.
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Old 01-20-2003, 05:19 AM   #167
Falathion
Pile O'Bones

Falathion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OOC: Takin you're a hobbit, Belin... as we're in the Shire.. correct me if me's wrong...

BIC:

"Bah! Had too much beer..." Turgon mumbled to himself at the hobbits remark..."

"Me kin drink ale from the mug like water from the running river, me fine hobbit!"

Turgon grinned and gave a hint for another beer. The hobbit just smiled at his silly remark, the dwarf was loosing his ability to speak clearly. Him having had enough beer couldn't be questioned.

After waiting for that next beer, Turgon got impatient.

"What is yer name, me hobbit?"

He asked kindly, yet with a serious undertone. A dwarf wanting ale, and not getting it was as bad an offense as taking a husbands wife... or almost anyway... In other words, it could very easily lead to a fist fight.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:43 AM   #168
Rosemary Took

Sting

Quote:
And anyone here can give you news
'Oh great!' She replied to the kind stranger, 'By the way, my name is Rosemary Took.'
She looked around trying to figure out who and where the innkeepers might be. The place was crowded and she still hadn't gotten used to the big folk, she'd never met any before and wasn't going to start now. She'd never been fond of crowded areas but she felt it was time to change, stop being so shy.

She still didn't know who this Piosenniel was but she thought I'll be here a while, that can wait.

Old 01-20-2003, 07:59 AM   #169
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Bali was quite worried about the impression he and Eruantalon were sending to the ladies. "My friend," he said, "can we not leave this matter until tomorrow morning? For the hour is late and it is not the best time to make plans about our next journey. Let us forget it for the night, and proceed to lighter matters."

Here he turned to the first of the ladies. "Did you not have a story to tell?"
Old 01-20-2003, 10:16 AM   #170
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

No one turned to look at her as she walked in the door. No one. Good. she thought. She was one with the shadows as she moved to the corner of the inn. It was best not to be noticed, and she had perfected it over the years. Completely covered in a plain black dress with her black cloak, blacker than the darkest night, pulled tightly around her and the hood pulled down over her face, not an inch of skin was showing. She kept her cloak around her has she moved along silently. She reached a dark corner in the northern side of the inn farthest away from anyone. She stood there as a shadow and watched. She saw another woman in black, trying to hide in the shadows. Ha! Everyone can see her. Maybe she is not trying to hide, but, if she is...she's doing a horrible job. She continued moving her eyes over the crowd, not a very large crowd, but big enough. Stupid people! she thought, and her lip turned up in a snarl Look at these pitiful excuses for the fair, immortal beings of elves! Here there are at this swarthy inn, swarming with half brained hobbits! Hobbits! She snarled again and a long, low sound emerged from her mouth, almost a growl. I am here, I do not belong, but do I have a choice? No. They do. They do not know. They will never know, they are blind, they do not watch for antyhing, nothing. They see nothing. In the name of Illuvatar, can't they see? I am alone in this, aren't I? Good. These thoughts came daily, and they always ended in the same way. She liked being alone. Let them be blind. Look at them with not a care in the world. They do not have to... she stopped, she wasn't going to start all over again. She calmly collected herself, still remaining a shadow. She again glanced around the room. Suddenly she jumped. Was he looking at her. She didn't move as the man moved toward her. Then he turned to talk to a woman at the bar. She sighed in relief, he didn't see her. But how long would that last? I have to eat, you have pushed it, three days... Would the inn ever clear out? Or were there always late goers. How late? Her stomach grumbled. She snarled at the sound. Why am I stuck in this wretched body! This body, its so human! She had to get food sooner or later, and it didn't look like the crowd was ever going to clear out. She again moved along the shadows until she reached the bar where a tall elf-woman was bustling around serving drinks. For some reason she seemed familiar, but she shook off the idea. You're tired. She moved in front of her and began to speak, "I need to eat," she said without emotion as she threw a clinking pouch onto the table.

The elf jumped and looked at her fearfully, she hadn't heard or seen her walking to the bar. She glanced at the bag the dark cloaked woman had tossed on the table, then the elf looked up at her again, with fear shown slightly in her eyes, but her voice was firm when she spoke, "I will serve you, m'lady, if you would kindly remove your hood. Village custom," she stopped then added, "And maybe your name, mine is Piosenniel. There are many strange folk coming here, need to be careful, hope you understand."

She looked around, no one was looking in her direction. The crowd had helped, she was one person, and wasn't noticed. Good, and the elf had not asked for much. She removed her hood to reveal long blond hair, and a pale face. And pointed ears. She was pretty, not beautiful, but pretty. "Durwen," she said, again with no trace of any emotion. Another thing she had perfected. No one ever knew what she was thinking, or how she felt. If she felt.

The elf nodded and brought her food, she wouldn't question a customer with a full bag of coin.

She ate in silence, and respectfully kept her hood half way down her head. She glanced around the inn yet again, watching the people milling around. Then she was lost in her thoughts, Darkness is never completely gone from the world. It dwells in too many places.

[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 01-20-2003, 10:19 AM   #171
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

You are right my friend.We should enjoy this fair company while we can.Some times I lose myself.But this can not be excused.

Now looking at the company of the tabbel.He knew his long journy was not over yet.He wouldn't be leaving this life as soon as he thought.But his items would have to reach the Gray Havens,just not yet though.

But for now he should turn his thoughts to lighter things.While he still could.But the many years and journys would be over one day.In that time his story would be over.So then the great weapons he was allowed to use would go back to there rightfull owneners.

Forgive me ladys for my dark mood.I will make it up later with, a good story.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-20-2003, 12:47 PM   #172
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He saw the Hobbit as soon as he reached the third step. Amaranthas, too, had spied him and waved him down the stairs with her cane. He smiled as he approached her. ‘I wonder if I shall ever be as sure of my place in this world as she is!’ he thought. Sitting upright on the chair by the fire, back stiff, and waving her cane at him in an imperious manner, she was much the image of a tiny monarch commanding the presence of her subject.

‘Sit! Sit, young man!’ she ordered, offering him a chair with one hand and with the other waving a server near. ‘Get me and the laddie some more tea, if you please, dear. And a flask of those dwarven spirits I know Miz Pio keeps behind the bar to liven it up.’

Laddie! Derufin chuckled. The tea and the spirits were promptly brought. And he poured two cups of the steaming liquid for them. He declined the Dwarven spirits, but poured a small drop into the Hobbit’s cup. Before he could tip the flask back up, she reached out and pushed his hand back down, giving herself a quite generous portion. ‘It’s cold today.’ she said. ‘I need something to warm the old bones from the inside.’

Amaranthas took a generous drink of tea and proceeded to tell him he had been elected to give her a ride home. On Pio’s horse. And as Amaranthas had certain matters she needed to attend to, she would like to leave as soon as possible.

He told her that would be no problem. All he needed was a little breakfast to take the edge off his hunger, then they could be off. He asked the same server who had brought them tea, to bring him a plate of toast and some jam. While he waited, he leaned back in his chair and drank his tea, listening to Amaranthas talk. This should be an interesting ride, he thought as she ran through the litany of peoples and places of note they would be passing.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Envinyatar ]
Old 01-20-2003, 12:57 PM   #173
Falathion
Pile O'Bones

Sting

"Bah!"

Turgon said with a drunken grin, looking over at the lady that had suddenly appeared at the bar, asking for food.

"The ain't nh Dwarin here, girlll..."

he said with a snort. Pointing at the hobbit, Belin, he then added.

"This hobbitlad just fooled me as well, hick! Dwarin is gone... and missed... or so people say..."

She offered him a glance in the eye, ice cold. As if lightning had struck the old, hardy dwarf, or a ghost was seen when one least expected it, Turgon quickly took his effort, and eyes, back to his mug, that was getting empty.

"E'noher be... hick... er?"

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Falathion ]
Old 01-20-2003, 01:15 PM   #174
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Turgon, is it?’ said Pio, coming to stand at the Dwarf’s table. She sat down to be eye level with him. ‘My name is Piosenniel, or Pio, if you prefer. The Innkeeper here at present.’ She put another full, foaming pint of ale before him, wiping the table of his spills as she set it down.

‘I understand you have been inquiring after Dwarin. He has gone away for a while, some private business. None know when he might return – we have had no word from him.’ She looked him squarely in the eye and went on. Until then, you will have to deal with me. A not unpleasant experience, I might add, unless you intend to cause trouble in my Inn or on its grounds.’ She reached out her hand and put it on his as he raised the flagon to his lips. ‘Do we have an understanding concerning this, Master Dwarf?’ the sleeve of her shirt fell back slightly, giving a glimpse of the knife in its sheath secured to her forearm.

Pio called a passing server to the table, directing them to find something for Turgon to eat. ‘Best you get something in that belly of yours, to sop up the quantitiy of ale you have put there. If you would like, I will find you a room should you need to sleep it off later.’

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-20-2003, 01:37 PM   #175
Falathion
Pile O'Bones

Sting

"Need to sleep off...?!"

Turgon replied with a grin.

"Me is not drunk untill me nose hit the floor I tell' ye!"

But remembering the knife he added.

"Yet I can.. hick!... assure ye me's no troublemaker... that is... unless trouble asks for it!"

He smiled wildly and giggled, meeting Pio's eye.

"Gimme a few more o'that fine ale of yer's, and I won't be no trouble at all. And yeh, some food would hit e'spot! Hick! Ehmm... and me is thinking a room, at the first floor if... hick... possible, would be fine."

Turgon smiled at Pio, though soon he was lost in his newly cagged mug of cold, scummy beer.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:15 PM   #176
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Belin briefly considered pulling the misplaced mug from Turgon's hand and replacing it with a mug of cold water. If he couldn't tell her from Dwarin, or indeed distinguish between male and female, he was either very drunk or very inattentive, and probably wouldn't know the difference between beer and water either. But it was Piosenniel who had given it to him, and Belin could only assume that she'd known what she was doing. With a shrug, she gathered up some bread and cheese and handed it to the inebriated dwarf. "Pay attention," she admonished him, "really."

She glanced across the room to where Champignonne sat weeping into the table, and moved toward her with what was left of the cheese. "Are you all right?" she asked, offering it to her.
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 01-20-2003, 02:20 PM   #177
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Satisfied she had let the Dwarf understand her position, she left him happily to his ale and food and out doors to the courtyard to investigate the mysterious ladder she had found propped against the open window of Cami’s empty room. Going round to the back of the Inn, she spied the rickety, grey wooded ladder still leaning against the sill of the Hobbit’s room.

‘I’m surprised she dared climb down that old thing!’ There were a few rungs missing along the length of it, and one of its feet was broken off shorter than the other and had been propped up on a flat rock. ‘She must have been desperate to get wherever she has got off to.’

She took the ladder down and brought it to the stable where it had been stored. Taking one of the hammers from the small workbench just inside the building, she knocked the ladder apart, and consigned the pieces to the woodpile. Perhaps she could get someone to build her another one. If not, she would cobble one together herself.

Pio looked up to see Derufin coming toward the stable. ‘If you’ll get that fine horse of yours saddled up, Mistress Piosenniel, I shall take the good Amaranthas home.’ Pio’s brow furrowed, as she had not asked him if he would do this as yet. He laughed, seeing her expression, and told her Amaranthas had snagged him with her cane and let him know it was to be his task this morning.

The Elf laughed, then, and shook her head, hoping that Amaranthas would keep to her previous promise. She saddled up Rochfalmar, adjusting the stirrups in length for the Man’s legs, then let him lead her to the front steps of the Inn. The Hobbit stood there, her dark eyes glinting mischievously as the two approached with the horse. Derufin mounted first, and Pio assisted Amaranthas up to sit before him.

As she did so, she whispered in the Hobbit’s ear. ‘Just stick to the sights and tales about your neighbors, if you please. I would prefer not to be a topic of conversation.’

Amaranthas looked down innocently at the Elf. ‘What was that, Miz Pio? These old ears aren’t what they used to be.’ The Hobbit reached back and tapped the horse on its hindquarters. Derufin, unprepared for the forward movement, nearly fell off the back.

‘Hang on, dearie.’ came the voice of the Hobbit, clutching firmly to the horse’s mane. She waved to Pio as the horse trotted down the lane.

Pio went back to examine the area at the foot of the ladder. The dirt was scuffed, but it appeared at least one set of Hobbit footprints had approached this side of the building, coming she guessed from the direction of the stable. It was difficult to determine how many led away from the area. She smiled to herself as she considered the problem.

The ladder, at least, was gone. When Cami came back she would have to come through either the front or kitchen entrance. Pio would speak with her then . . .
Old 01-20-2003, 03:33 PM   #178
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami had spent the night at Bag-end, sleeping on a bedroll next to the hearth. She hadn't really planned it that way, but, at the time, it seemed like the wisest thing to do.

First, she'd had a long talk with Bilbo and come back to the Dragon, expecting to slip into bed and awake the next morning to start her chores again. But sleep had eluded her. Bilbo's words kept repeating in her mind, despite all her efforts to will the conversation away. Cami had tossed and turned unable to settle for even a single instant.

She reasoned that there was no sense lying awake in bed. Yet, she did't really want to go trooping through the kitchen or front door so everyone would know her business. By chance, one of the workers had been replacing some roof thatching just that afternoon in anticipation of the party. A rickety old ladder had been left standing upright underneath her window. So she'd slowly climbed down, rung by rung, being careful not to plunge headlong to the ground, and then run off towards Bag-end, which lay just ten minutes distant.

Bag-end normally had ample rooms for visitors, but things were a bit more crowded than usual. Sam and Rosie and their thirteen children filled up all the bedrooms, with Frodo and Bilbo assigned to the study and guest chamber. She had sat up half the night talking with the two hobbits, until she'd finally decided exactly what she wanted to do.

Then, she'd declined Frodo's offer of the guest room and curled up quite contentedly on the kitchen floor armed with blankets and pillows, intending just to have a little snooze. To her surprise, Cami hadn't woken until late in the morning and spent much of the afternoon deep in conspiracies and secret plans, then said goodbye to the hobbits and scampered back to the Inn. The ladder seemed to be curiously absent from where she thought she'd left it. Cami slipped behind a large beech tree and scratched her head, wondering what her next move should be.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-20-2003, 05:57 PM   #179
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Umbria the elf was stirred by the thoughts of the dark woman in the corner sitting away from everyone. Umbria had her back to her. Umbria spun around and let her sharp gray eyes look deep into the recesses of the black hooded cloak.

"do not feel anger" she thought to herself "she doesnt know who you are and what you have been through... she likes being alone... not here to cause trouble I guess... on the run?..hmm.." she kept staring, for no one can hold her stare "I remember when I was like her" she thought..

Bebberyn noticed his leigelady staring at this stranger. He knew what this meant..Be wary. "this is the same look she had when my brothers were slain" he remembered. Bebberyn moved from behind Umbria to the middle of the hall, his hand on his sword hilt.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-20-2003, 10:53 PM   #180
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A young hobbit lass opened the door of the Green Dragon and walked in. Large hazel eyes were framed by wavey light brown hair. Freckles were sprinkled across the bridge of her nose, and her mouth was smiling. Surveying the room, she took in the many patrons.

She did not recognize anyone, but that was understandable, what with her being new to the Shire. She was come from Bree, and had moved with her family, who had decided that they had wanted a quieter place to live. She walked up to the counter of the inn, and addressed the person behind it.
"Hullo, I was wondering if you could help me. I'm rather new here."

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-21-2003, 04:36 AM   #181
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

Derufin was quite amused by the tiny Hobbit who rode before him. ‘You should have your own personal chronicler.’ he told her. ‘The entire history of this section of the Shire is stored like a great treasure within that head of yours, and here I am, lucky enough to have it parceled out to me, gem by gem.’ Amaranthas chuckled at this image of herself being followed about by a handsome, in her imaginings, young Hobbit with a sizable inkwell, a large blank book, and numerous quills poking out from his pockets, and stuck behind his ears.

It wasn’t until they approached her house, that she turned to the subject she had been wanting to explore since they left the Inn. But, now that they had ridden together for some time, she felt more comfortable in broaching it. She looked down at his hands as they grasped the reins before her. ‘I notice you don’t wear a wedding band of any sort, Derufin. Have you never been married?’

The man grew quiet, and did not answer the question. He only urged the horse on with a tap from his heels, and kept his eyes to the road . . .
Old 01-21-2003, 06:22 AM   #182
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Laurie was suprised when another figure, sitting rather close by but in the shadows where her blue eyes had missed, stood up and answered her greetings. She stumbled out some kind of reply to the lady's answers and in her confusion barely heard her say she was soon to be leaving the inn. Laurie made a small curtsy in reply as the lady bowed her head and left, and then she turned her blue eyes back to the lady she had originally addressed. Obviously thrown off, Laurie searched for the words with an embarrassed laugh.

"Um, is there anything I can do for you?"
Old 01-21-2003, 08:30 AM   #183
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami surveyed the Inn up and down, trying to decide what her best plan of attack would be. The front door led to the public area; the back door to the kitchen. Either way, she might face a barrage of questions from Piosenniel or some of the staff as to her exact whereabouts and frame of mind the night before. She'd have to face these queries sooner or later, but it seemed prudent to defer the questionning until she'd enjoyed a long soak in a soapy tub and a fresh change of clothes.

There was a third option for entry, little known to most visitors at the Inn. It was not an option open to Men or even Elves, who for all their grace and agility still could not compact themselves into as tiny a bundle as a hobbit. Two small wooden doors, tilted at a slight angle against the outer wall of the Inn, led down into the cellar and served as a chute so that coal and peat could be stored over the long winter months. Cami has used this private entrance on more than one occasion, although she had to admit that it had been a number of years since she had last tried this particular trick.

She slipped her feet into the chute and began wriggling her body in, expecting to slide down to the bottom in just a minute or two as she remembered doing before. There she planned to pick herself up from the floor, dust off her skirts, and take the back stairwell up to her room where she could enjoy a bath and a change of clothing.

Cami waited a minute in the chute, but nothing happened. She did not seem to be going anywhere. She wriggled about in frustration, and managed to drop down another foot so that only the very top of her curly head was visible from the outside. With exasperation, she considered her predicament. Perhaps, someone had redone the chute and made it a little smaller. Either that, or she had added a bit more bulk since the last time she'd tried this trick.

In any case, she seemed to be stuck. She couldn't climb out, and she couldn't wriggle down. This was quite embarassing! Even worse than enduring a barrage of questions. She began to rue her hasty actions which had led her to this particular moment. As Cami had little choice in the matter, she sat back and waited, wondering if anyone would ever see her and come to pull her out.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:39 AM   #184
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

As Astarielle was obviously not getting noticed she decided to sing. At this everyone fell silent and at last she was heard. She went over to the barman and again asked for a room adn a stable for her horse.

Having sorted this out she then asked "Are there any quests going on here as I have been journeying far?" As she waited for a reply she gazed around the inn, her green eyes glistening in the candle light. Sge wondered who all these people were and hoped that they would introduce themselves to her as she was to shy to ask.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:54 AM   #185
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The hobbit lass, not getting any reply from behind the counter, decided to introduce herself to the young lady that had just spoken.
Walking up to her, she bowed her haid slightly, and said, "Hello. My name is Hirilaelin. I am also new here. I do not know of any quests, as I am newly moved here from
Bree."
Old 01-21-2003, 10:21 AM   #186
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Far away to the south, a rider entered the city of Minas Tirith bearing a message from the north. After making inquiries, he determined that the addressee was at Harlond working at the docks. The rider, weary from his long journey, entered an inn and rested for a night before moving on.

The morning found him prowling the docks seeking to deliver the message. He came across a tall man with grey eyes and raven hair shot through with strands of silver. The man was wearing a fine cloak of blue embroidered about the collar with gold. He was sitting on a piling while reviewing a scroll and occasionally looking up at a ship which rested in drydock with workers swarming over its wooden hull and decks.

The rider urged his horse forward, then dismounted, twitching aside his black cloak to reveal the livery of the White Tower. "Excuse me, sir," he said. "But might you be Mithadan, captain of the Lonely Star?"

The man looked up at the rider, squinting slightly in the morning sun. "Aye," he responded. "That I am. And you are?"

"I am Hithmir, an errand-rider of Gondor," the rider replied. "I am recently come from a journey to the north which I undertook at the behest of the King. I have a letter for you from the distant land of The Shire."

Mithadan rose and stepped forward eagerly. "A letter?," he asked excitedly.

"Aye," answered Hithmir. "From a fair Elven maiden that I met there." Hithmir rummaged about in his pouch and withdrew a sealed packet which he handed to Mithadan, who hurriedly passed the rider a handful of silver coins before stepping away to open the missive. He smiled and shook his head as he read:

Quote:
My Bearer of Light before the Sun and Moon –

Beloved, I know you would never think of yourself in this way. Even now I can see you smiling and shaking your head ‘no’. But each night I look out my window to the western horizon, where the bright evening star hangs just above the Emyn Beraid, and I hold you in my thoughts for a few, too brief, moments. It is my hope, that when the season turns, I will not look toward the east, above the Hithaeglir, to find the morning star heralding the sun. But that it will be your own dear face which wakes me with its light and laughter.

I had not intended to stay this long away from you. But events have conspired to make it so. The Inn is busier than I expected, and I have found no one as yet to take over the responsibilities left to me by the former Innkeeper. As is my wont, I have run myself ragged seeing to details. But do not worry about me. Cami is here, and she sees that I take care of myself, as best she can.

It was good news that we were able to turn a tidy profit for the partnership. Bird and I had made some plans before we finished our last voyage, and she will now be able to finance her part. It is our hope that in time we can track down the history of her race. As you know, it was in fact, the quest for that knowledge that first brought me to the Shire.

As to the Lonely Star, my feet long to feel her deck beneath them, and my hands to grip the wheel. What I would give to have these lively babies, pummeling my ribs as I write these words, rocked to sleep by the glassy waves!

Your son and daughter grow stronger every day. They miss their atar, as do I. Their fëas are vibrant, reaching out with great energy to take in the world around them. Once they are born I fear their ammë will be hard put to keep up with them! How I wish you were here to watch them in this season of their growth.

I wish that I could return to the warmth of Gondor and to your arms. But I find I cannot, until this task of mine is done. I miss you sorely, also, and would have you by my side, for even just a brief space of time.

Will you come to me, Mithadan?

I await your answer.

~ Your Piosenniel
Mithadan frowned for a moment. "Cami?" he muttered. "Is she delusional from overwork and pregnancy?" Then he smiled again and looked back to the ship. It would be a month and more before the work on it would be completed. He could not wait even if the seas could carry him to the north quickly enough. He would need a horse... and clothing for cold weather.

Hithmir watched as Mithadan read the letter. When he lowered it, the errand-rider asked, "Need you send a reply? I can arrange for a rider to carry it."

"Thank you," replied Mithadan. "But I shall carry my own message..."
Old 01-21-2003, 10:29 AM   #187
Falathion
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Turgon smiled happily as he recieved the bread and cheese.

"Me thanks yeh... hick... Though, me thinks meat right from the bone should be better... ehm, Me don't blame ya though..."

He saluted Belin and took a good bite off the bread. With a good mouthfull of beer he let it all slide down his throught. Both Pio and Belin left him, and so he was once again left to his food and mug of ale.

"Hail th' alm'ght for thsss..hick..fine beer..."

He emptied the mug with a last large soup, taking half the mug in one large mouthfull before hammering it down into the table again.

"An'oher beh' pl'ssszzzz"

Suddenly the dwarf dropped face down on the table and fell asleep...
Old 01-21-2003, 02:08 PM   #188
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hirilaelin turned from the lady and looked at the dwarf asleep on the table, snoring with his mug in front of him. She laughed lightly and said, "Drank too deeply did he? The ale of this inn most be most excellent indeed for him to do so."
She turned to the woman who she had just just spoken to and said, "You have a most excellent singing voice! I cannot seem to get anyone to talk to me either, but maybe you will. Have you been long here? Where do you come from? Please excuse my curiosity," here she bowed her head again, "for I am but a simple hobbit girl."
Old 01-21-2003, 03:26 PM   #189
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

A Hobbit wearing a hat with a feather in it runs into The Green Dragon carrying a scroll. He clears his throat to make sure he has everyone's attention, then strides over to the bar where he unrolls the scroll and tacks it up to the wall. "Everyone, take a look!" he calls. Then he turned and left the Inn.

The denizens of the Inn crowded about to see what was so important. They read the following:

Quote:
Attention: For all interested in learning how to create an RPG proposal, a tutorial is being run in Rohan. You will see how the Innkeepers, et al. try to help people put their proposals together and get some insight into what the reviewers are looking for and what kind of suggestions they make. Check it out! The tutorial will result in a game being formed in Rohan.
[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 01-21-2003, 04:26 PM   #190
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

The remainder of the trip to Amaranthas’ house had been a quiet one. Though the Hobbit couched her question in many skilful ways, she received no answer. ‘Something deeply hidden in him.’ she thought to herself. ‘I wonder what it will take to draw it from him?’ She made a mental note to speak to Miz Pio about this, though she could just see the Elf now, shaking her head in irritation at her.

Derufin dismounted from ‘Falmar one the Hobbit’s house was reached, and reached up for her to set her on the ground. He bade her farewell after seeing her inside safely, saying he had promised to do something at the Inn today. Remounting the horse, he waved once to her and urged the horse on with a flick of the reins.

It was a lie that he had task awaiting him. He simply did not want any more questions on that subject. He drew a deep breath and looked up at the clear sky. Spring was a promise on the brisk air as the breeze touched his cheek. Fresh. Renewing. He sang softly to himself as he rode back to the Inn.

As I walk'd thro' the meadows
To take the fresh air,
The flowers were blooming and gay;
I heard a fair damsel so sweetly asinging
Her cheeks like the blossom in May.

Said I, Pretty maiden, how came you here
In the meadows this morning so soon?
The maid she replied: For to gather some may,
For the trees they are all in full bloom.

Said I: Pretty maiden, shall I go with you,
To the meadows to gather some may?
O no, sir, she said, I would rather refuse,
For I fear you would lead me astray.

Then I took this fair maid by the lilywhite hand;
On the green mossy bank we sat down;
And I placed a kiss on her sweet rosy lips,
While the small birds were singing around.

And when we arose from the green mossy bank,
To the meadows we wander'd away;
I placed my love on a primrose bank
While I pick'd her a handful of may.

Then early next morning I made her my bride,
That the world might have nothing to say;
The bells they did ring and the birds they did sing,
And I crown'd her the sweet Queen of May.

His voice faltered on the last verse and was silent til he reached the Inn.

Derufin dismounted and led ‘Falmar toward the stable. ‘Come, my fine girl. I’ll get you unsaddled and free of this bridle.’ He took her into one of the stalls and wiped her down well, talking gently to her as he did so. ‘I’ll see you another time!’ he called, giving her a handful of oats and walking out to the Inn’s yard.

An odd sight caught his eye as moved toward the Inn. There, on the side of the building were two small doors, flung open at the base of the wall. And from the entryway there, he could see the top of a curly head bobbing back and forth. He approached closer, trying to see who this was and what they were doing in what appeared to be the chute to the coal cellar. It was an odd way, he thought to be trying to clean it, if that is what they had intended.

He crouched down behind the mass of curls and spoke loudly. ‘Are you in some difficulty? Can I offer you my assistance?’
Old 01-21-2003, 05:29 PM   #191
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hirilaelin sighed, and stepped outside the inn. A gentle breeze caressed her face, and the sky was clear. She turned, ready to walk back down the lane, when she saw a curious site. Someone was crouched down by something that looked like a dirty mop. She walked closer. It wasn't a mop, but the top of a head. The person next to it looked like he had just dismounted from his horse. She walked still closer, until she was standing next to the pair. If it could be called a pair. "What are you doing, if I may ask?"

The man looked up. "Well, someone seems to be stuck down there."

Hirilaelin was puzzled. "Down there?" she said.

"Yes," the man replied.

"But," said Hiri in confusion, "that looks like the chute to the coal cellar!"

"It is indeed." Hiri frowned again, then smiled. This man seemed friendly. She spoke up again. "What is your name good sir?"

Old 01-21-2003, 05:34 PM   #192
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio had seen 'Falmar come up to the Inn with Derufin astride. Walking quickly through the kitchen, she grabbed an apple from the bowl on the counter and ran to the stables.

As she exited the back door, heading toward the barn, she heard a familiar voice speaking. Derufin! Pio rounded the corner of the Inn to see him crouched down, and speaking into the coal chute.

Approaching closer, she called out. 'Is there a problem?'
Old 01-21-2003, 06:03 PM   #193
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hiri turned around from the man and the coal chute when she heard a call. It was a woman, asking if any assistance was needed.

She called back, "I don't know! Someone appears to be caught in the coal chute,but we have no idea who. Do you maybe?"

Old 01-21-2003, 08:20 PM   #194
Rosemary Took

Sting

Rosemary gulped down the last of her ale. Overall this day had been quite uneventful and she was feeling much more bored than she thought she would, even though she'd had at least 3 pints of ale. There seemed to be some commotion at the back.Maybe I ought to see whats going on.

Plucking up her courage she walked round the back, an elf woman was standing there who seemed quite worried. Looking around she could see that there was a coal shoot and to her surprise there was someone inside of it! At first she felt like laughing but thought better of it and said,'Umm... Is there anything I can do to help?'
This was really a strange thing, a hobbit stuck up a coal shaft while Rosemary actually talked to one of the Big People, a definite first for her.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:54 PM   #195
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

A small crowd was beginning to assemble around the bizarre scene concerning the coal chute. Pio walked closer for a better view. Her eyes flew wide at the familiar mop of unruly curls.

She smiled at the Hobbit's sneaky antics. then a grinned widely, and finally a loud laugh spilled from her, frightening some of the smaller Hobbits. Pio saw the curly head try to duck down lower in the chute as if to make itself invisible.

She reached down, quite unceremoniously, and took hold of the filthy, sooty collar. Giving a great heave, she pulled the hobbit up and out of the chute and plunked her down in a dusty heap on the ground.

Two brown eyes, in a sea of white, peered out from the coal blacked face, and a sheepish grin spread on the tarry face. Pio tapped her foot on the ground and looked squarely at the Hobbit.

'By the One, Camellia Goodchild! What did you think you were doing now?'
Old 01-22-2003, 12:25 AM   #196
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Quote:
'By the One, Camelia Goodchild! What did you think you were doing now?
Cami cleared her throat, and wondered how to respond. She had initially intended to slip in the back way so no one could put their nose into her business. Only now, half the visitors to the Dragon were congregated about her, listening intently for her answer to Pio's question. This was not good.

For one minute, she envisioned concocting a fancy tale to explain away her reckless behavior so that all these folk would go home and leave her in peace. But somehow lying did not seem like a good idea. She was about to make one of the most important decisions of her life, and starting it with a giant fib didn't seem right.

Yet, still Cami hesitated. There is an ancient custom among hobbits that certain things are officially kept secret until after the ceremony occurs, and, even then, couples may go off for two weeks or more, leaving behind no address. Cami was a great respecter of tradition and was not about to break with the past.

"I'm sorry Pio. I can't tell you anything now. I have a good reason, but it's private!" At the back of her mind, she added, There are too many folk here to discuss all this. Wait till later and we'll talk. She hoped her friend had heard and understood.

One of the female hobbits leaned over and whispered a few words to the other. Then she giggled and called out, "Camelia Goodchild, keeping secrets? That's very suspicious. Are you finally getting married?"

Despite the soot and grime, Cami held her head up high and walked away from the crowd, heading towards the kitchen door. As she went to pull it open, she impishly turned about and yelled back to the two giggling figures, "If I was, you'd certainly be the last to know!" Cami slammed the door with relish, and went upstairs to draw a bath, singing merrily as she went.

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-22-2003, 05:17 AM   #197
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Snowdrop looked after Cami in wonder. "oh... I wonder what its like to be married!" she sighed in her hobbit girlish manner. Umbria spoke from over the other side of the room "more wonderful than you can imagine."

Bebberyn removed his hand from his sword hilt and sat down.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-22-2003, 06:03 AM   #198
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Sting

Astarielle wondered where Hirilaelin had gone as she had gone into a dream world, as she often did when she had travelled far. She noticed a crowd of people outside and wondered wheter Hiri was ther as she would like to talk to her.

She drew her cape around and ventured outside. She called out "Hirilaelin! Mae Govannen! Hirilaelin!"
Old 01-22-2003, 07:11 AM   #199
Engwaavarion

Silmaril

The door quietly opens and closes as a hooded, cloaked figure silently steps into the common room. Throwing back his hood,his cloak sweeps aside revealing an elf with a curved sword at his side and a longbow at his back with a quiver of arrows. He scans the gathering slowly beforing seating himself at an empty table in the corner, but not before ordering a glass of wine.

He did not look to be quite like the other elves. He stood fairly tall as is common with all Elven kind, dark brown hair, and a green and brown outfit finished the picture. He is fair yet something mysterious is about him, almost like an aura surrounding him, as he sits quietly apparently brooding about something...

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Engwaavarion ]

Old 01-22-2003, 08:25 AM   #200
Falathion
Pile O'Bones

Sting

"Noh, NOH!"

Turgon snarled in his sleep under his wet beard.

"Stay away yer stincking ratszzzz...."

He gave a large snork, then continued to sleep in all his merry.

"STAY AWAY!"

He suddenly yelled and got half way up, for a moment opening his eyes, half awake, half asleep. He then fell asleep again, half standing. He collapsed together and hit the corner of the table, the mug tipped over and hit the floor with a crash, before the dwarf roll over onto the floor, continuing his sleep.