Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2002, 11:51 AM   #561
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child thought about the Hobbits of the Shire. It seemed true that she knew fewer Hobbits of Stoor descent than any other.

The Harfoot, of course, with their brown skins and love of farming lands and tunnels and holes were the most numerous of all. And the Fallohides usually turned up as leaders and poetry lovers and hunters, with their hearts mysteriously drawn to Elves and the forests. Marcho and Blanco and the Tooks, including Frodo, fell into that category. Child herself was, like Bilbo, a cross between Harfoot and Fallohide, surely the very best combination, she thought.

But truly, she did not personally know many Hobbits who were Stoors. Most of them, she believed had dwelled in the Eastfarthing. Some had small beards on their chins (amazing to say!), and they even wore dwarf boots in muddy weather. She had also heard that the women in their families had more than the usual share of power and authority. The latter sounded quite promising to Child!

Cetainly, hobbits who had beards and wore dwarf boots and had fierce matriarchs might also have been strange in other ways. They might even have decided to follow the River in a different direction than that of their fellow hobbits.

She tried to explain these things to Pio, who seemed quite amazed. It struck Child that Pio, who knew all about her Elven history, could not imagine running into a lost or misplaced ancestor. But Child, who knew little of her past and longed for more, could well imagine small groups of Hobbits running off in different directions as their hearts took them. For Hobbits have always preferred to do things in families and have often turned their heads on those who wanted to be a "leader" and exert more authority or oneness over their fellow hobbits. In this way, they were different from many Elves, or even the big folk.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:49 PM   #562
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio sat down on a large rock and stared at the wall. She let the words from Child flow over her like a broad, slow river winding its long course to the sea. Her own thoughts were racing.

She looked toward Durshag and watched him play the host to his other guests. As if he felt her scrutiny, he turned toward her and came over.

Standing eye to eye with her now, he looked her over closely and smiled.

'So you are a Stoor, I'm told.', said Pio.

He reached out hesitantly,then more boldly when she didn't draw back, and fingered her short, brown unruly hair.

'Yess, Stur.', replied the hobrim. He looked at her expectantly. 'And you, . . . Pio? . . . cousin, too,?'

She embraced him warmly, then held him at arms length to study his face. 'Yes, cousin,too.'

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-27-2002, 03:33 PM   #563
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Sam swallowed the last of his third plate of Searooms. "This has certainly become something!" he said.

Frodo grinned. "It certainly has. "

Suddenly, though, Sam's eyes clouded.

Frowning, Frodo leaned over and looked into Sam's face. "Sam, what is it. "

"Sir--it's Tiny Rose. This is all well and good for us--but she dosen't know where we are--she doesn't even know if we're safe. "
He bit his lower lip. "Oh, my---what is she doing right now?? "

He stood up. "Mister Frodo, I've got to go! "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-27-2002, 03:34 PM   #564
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
ooc:I will be able to post a couple of times from where I am but I still want you to be my charicter when it applies to the story. I like the way this story is going.::

Being in that cave felt almost like being in a hobbit hole. Indeed, Rose felt more at home then on the boats. Durshag was most definatly related to hobbits and Rose was ready and willing to help him out. Child had had a disscution about this with Rose out of earshot of the others. It had discuraged her by reminding her of Mith and the elves who might not want to delay their trip home.

Durshag lead Rose over to a pool and was showing her how he caught the fish. They were having fun splashing around after the fish. The hobrim seemed so plesant and convinced that they would help him.

Who did Rose owe her alliegence to. The one who was putting all hopes to finding the lost hobrim? Or the barrowdowners? Rose knew in an instant. If the barrowdown boats sailed home Rose would sail with them. No matter who needed her help.

"Cousin like?" he held out to Rose a very pritty rock he had found in the water. She smiled and nodded her head.

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 06-27-2002, 03:40 PM   #565
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Eye

Primrose was on her way around the deck for the second time with Mister Mithadan. She told him about her home, her little brothers and sister, and how she liked to help her Papa in the garden.

As they came around the side of the ship where the others had disappeared, she looked out over the water and sighed. As much as she didn't want it to, a tear came to her eye.
Oh, Papa, where are you?
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-27-2002, 04:04 PM   #566
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The three ships bobbed on the ocean waves. Each had its sails furled and lookouts posted to watch for the missing Hobbits, Elves and Birdland. Mithadan walked slowly along the deck of the Elven vessel with Primrose at his side. The little Hobbit had told him several stories of the Shire and recited the poem 'The Man in the Moon Came Down Too Soon' for him.

Tired, Mithadan sat on a barrel, and, on a whim, lifted Primrose to his lap. She smiled and looked out on the ocean. "I never knew the sea was so big," she said. Mithadan smiled in turn and replied, "Yes it is big. There's more ocean than there is land. Ulmo's realm is wide and beautiful."

"But if its so big, won't Papa and Frodo and Child and Rose get lost?" asked Primrose with a worried look on her face. Mithadan froze as if stricken and looked up sharply at the water. Then he hugged the Hobbit tightly and said, "I'm so sorry, Primrose! I've been so caught up with myself that I haven't thought of anyone else. I'm sure they're all right. I'd go after them myself but my chest hurts too..." Mithadan stopped in mid-sentence and his eyes grew wide. "Dolt! Idiot! What's the matter with me?" he cried. He eased Primrose to the deck and rose to his feet. "My cabin, Primrose. Quickly."

They walked back to the stairwell and down to the sickbay. Mithadan picked up his old cloak and searched its pockets, coming up with a silver box -- the REG. He murmured under his breath and a light blinked on the box. A metallic voice said "Authorized user recognized." Mithadan sat with the REG and said "Show me the Hobbits, Frodo, Sam, Rose and Child." In mid-air, a mist appeared in which a small but clear image materialized. Mithadan's mouth opened, then he laughed loudly, only to stop and grab his ribs. With a smile, he beckoned Primrose over to look at the image. She clapped her hands and said "They're OK. And they're eating MUSHROOMS!..."
Old 06-27-2002, 04:17 PM   #567
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the water was nice and cool. it was a different experience for Celeaewen, who had lived her whole life in a forest. she soon got the knack of swimming, enough for her to be able to keep her head above water. She actually found it quite fun. she was paddling and diving, looking for any pretty seashells or rocks,when she was startled by a bump in her side. she shreiked involintarily, still unable to see for the water in her eyes. She had never seen an animal like this before. it was gray, and had a pointed snot, with lots of sharp teeth. She also saw that it had a fin on its back, and a tail. she racked her brains, trying to categorize it. ah! she called up to the mast
"Rosseil! get down here! Dolphins!"
Old 06-27-2002, 04:18 PM   #568
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Primrose gave a little jump and wrapped her arms around Mister Mithadan's leg. She squeezed, but tried not to do it too hard.

Thank you, Lord, for this tech'legy stuff. she thought, --and thank You that Papa and everyone are safe.

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 06-27-2002, 04:28 PM   #569
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

A mist formed in Durshag's cave. The Hobrim backed away but the others looked on in interest. In the midst of the mist appeared the image of Mithadan's face. He was wearing a wry smile and his right eyebrow was arched. Piosenniel turned to Birdland and whispered "I think he's returning to normal."

"Well now. Having a little dinner party without us I see," said Mithadan. "Don't concern yourselves about us up here. We're only worried sick..." The image shifted to show Primrose who waved wildly.

"If its not too much to ask, might you not consider joining your comrades topside?" asked Mith.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:31 PM   #570
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam heaved a sigh of relief.
"Thank you, sir!" he called, waving back to Primrose.

Frodo smiled. "Ah, just in time."
Old 06-27-2002, 06:26 PM   #571
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child bellowed as the image of Mithadan receded. "Sir, wait, stop. I need to speak with you. That is Rose and I need to speak with you." Child struck her elbow into Rose's ribs, who then nodded her head in response.

The image of Mithadan stopped receding and froze in mid-air. "Sir, there's one little thing. Rose and I wanted you to know that we have found one of our dearest relatives who is living in a cave on this lovely sea cove. He is a wonderful cook, and we have asked him to come visit us on our ship. You know, the ship that both Rose and I have a one-eighth interest in......."

"Lord Mithadan, most gracious host, we know you would want to offer your warmest hospitality to our dear relation, so we have taken the liberty of having him accompany us home. He has something of interest we may all want to discuss."

Mithadan's left eyebrow took a decided tilt upward; then the right one did the same. Child began shrinking downward, but then thought better of it and stood her ground.

She whispered, "It may be true that I should have consulted with you first, but truly this is a matter of family pride and honor. We would be much obliged if you would listen to him. For, to tell the truth, Rose and I are greatly troubled with the strange tale he has told us, and we would be craven cowards if we did not consider the heartfelt pleas of one of our own kin."

Mithadan laughed, only the second time he had done so in many weeks. "Ahem, Child," he said with some warmth, "We will meet this strange relative of yours and see what tales he tells. I have asked Anagara to come down to your cave and offer rides to all those who may desire such assistance in returning to the ship."

Child and Rose along with the small hobrim were in the first convoy sent up from the cave. The hobrim gave a little sigh as he left his home. Child heard him whisper, "I know not if I will come this way again. So may Ulmo protect me and my dear home as I venture forth into this strange world that my forefathers and foremothers left so many year ago."
Old 06-27-2002, 06:33 PM   #572
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Frodo placed a hand on Sam's shoulder. The younger hobbit had exhaled and relaxed considerably.

"Oh, Mister Frodo, I just couldn't have left Tiny Rose. I couldn't!"

Frodo grinned, if a bit sadly. "I know, Sam, I know."

Frodo wondered to himself what sort of father he might have made....

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 06-27-2002, 08:14 PM   #573
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Rose had different feelings. She was absalutly delighted at Mith's apparent recovery. but she was also aware of the use of the REG. And even though it wasn't the same one that had controlled her she was still pained with guilt from that too recent adventure. That guilt influenced her feeling of anxiousness aboout what Mith would think about finding long lost relitives. She didn't even think Sam or Frodo were crazy about the idea. Her guilt made her feel that she should do whatever caused the less trouble. The only encouragement she had was Child who seemed so sure of herself as they with the hobrim dismounted the dragon onto the deck of the ship before it went to get the rest. But what did child think?
Old 06-27-2002, 08:28 PM   #574
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

When she arrived for them, Sam climbed onto the dragon's back uneasily.

"Come on, Sam. It will be all right." Frodo assured, helping Sam up behind him and placing the other hobbit's arms around his waist.

"Y-yes, sir. Whatever you say, Mister Frodoooo!" Sam shouted as Angara lifted into the air.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:31 PM   #575
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Prim ran over to Rose.

"Papa and Uncle Frodo are still okay, aren't they? "

Her big brown eyes then caught sight of Durgash. She frowned, and the look in her eye said she wished she had her bow in her hands.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:38 PM   #576
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo shut his eyes and trembled slightly
"I hate heights. Bilbo hated flying and do as well."
Old 06-27-2002, 08:44 PM   #577
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam could feel Frodo's heart beating through his hands, which were clasped tightly around his middle.

"I wish this flight would be over soon, too, Mister Frodo. "
Old 06-27-2002, 10:00 PM   #578
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"It's lucky that you didn't mistake me for a shark, silly Elfling!" Birdie widened her fixed, dolphin smile, and tugged on Celeaewen's skirt again. "where is Rosseil? You are both cordially invited to a 'family reunion'!"

Durshag loved Angara. He threw his arms around the golden dragon, and buried his nose into the scaly hide. "Air and Fire. Earth and Water. All are here." Angara bent his neck back to where the Hobrim sat astride between his glowing wings, and rubbed his head against Durshag's cheek. Then they flew upward through a blue sea, into a bluer sky.

The Hobrim's reaction to a ship was rather mixed. He crouched on the deck, patting it with his hands and muttering "Dead forest. Dead forest." Terror and curiosity fought a battle; curiosity winning out as his head rose higher to take in ropes and sails, cargo and brass.

Finally he focused his eyes on the passengers. First the halflings. Then Birdie, Piosenniel, and Veritas. Celeaewen and Rosseil. And finally, Mithadan, Idril and Tuor.

Grasping the rail to balance himself on feet that seldom felt land, Durshag advanced towards the Elves of the Undying lands and their kindred. He kneeled before them, and spoke, quite clearly:

"Maiiii Goveeeonnnn. Maiii Goveeonnnn."

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 06-27-2002, 10:10 PM   #579
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

O.O.C. - Child! Your P.M. is full, and I need to ask you a question!

Delete, delete, delete!
Old 06-27-2002, 10:45 PM   #580
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC - Child holds up picket sign. "I hate machines." Then goes to clean out mailbox.

Child was walking across the deck when she heard the hobrim's greeting to her Elven friends. She stopped dead and did not move forward, her mouth hanging open.

How was this possible? This was a Stoor, not a Fallohide. If you had assembled 500 hobbits in a single room, perhaps 2 of them might understand what was being said, and just 1 would have been able to use the greeting properly. Child was mildly astounded.

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-28-2002, 01:31 AM   #581
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Idril stepped forth to meet Durgash; extending her hand she coaxed him to his feet. Smiling, she greeted him, 'Ai na vedui Hobrim! Mae govannen!'

Celeaewen and Rosseil chimed in together, 'Elen sìla lùmenn' omentielvo!'

'Mae Govannen, Durgash!' said Veritas, coming forward.

The small Sea-hobbit stepped back shyly, and slipped his hand into Pio's. She gave it a soft squeeze. 'Well met, indeed!' she whispered to him.
Old 06-28-2002, 04:09 AM   #582
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Durshag looked up at the towering folk around him, and whispered to Pio: "The Elf People. In the tales my mother told, the Elf People say 'Mai Goveeonnn'. This is right? She also say they were big."

He looked around again, then shook his head. "She did not say they were SO big!"
Old 06-28-2002, 04:15 AM   #583
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(O.O.C. - OK, I have no idea how one goes about rounding up lost, scattered Hobrims. Anybody got any ideas? Or are they MERELY lost?)

Old 06-28-2002, 08:47 AM   #584
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<<i will b away for a few days, so do with my chara what you will, short of killing her. >>
Old 06-28-2002, 09:35 AM   #585
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Veritas smiled at Durshag when he dived away behind Pio. Maybe she had scared him a little when they came by the Hobbits. Veritas was really relieved seeing the hobbits safe, she might have acted a bit strange towards Durshag.

But now they had another problem, first of all, where were the other Hobrims, and then... those eyes she saw in the cave, of who were they? Not Durshags, but somebody elses. They looked exactly like Gollums, but that was impossible. Gollum had not a specific band with th Hobrim, not more then with other Hobbit-like. Strange...

"I think the best we can do is make a big plan and send out people to look for them. Maybe the mer-men now more about it." Said Veritas to the others.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:47 AM   #586
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara chuckled to herself. Seeing the meeting of Hobbit, Elf, and Man amused the old wyrm immensely. She gave a small snort of steam and flew down to land in an open space midst the gathered company.

'I have a riddle!', she said, turning in a circle upon the deck as if to challenge all there.

'Yes,' said Child, 'we know you love riddles, but really, Angara, this is no time for game-playing. We have a quite serious problem to see to at the moment.'

'Well,' said Angara, 'of course I can wait; dragons can always wait - a long time if need be. That is, of course, unless you'ld like a little clue to this problem of yours now!'

She rose languidly into the air and resumed her perch on the main mast.

Old 06-28-2002, 11:22 AM   #587
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan eyed the dragon dubiously. "I've heard that barbequed Balrog wings are a delicacy," he said. "Hmmm. Dragon wings...?"
Old 06-28-2002, 11:23 AM   #588
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Angara glared down at the Man. With a slight snarl, it said "I'm not kosher."
Old 06-28-2002, 11:36 AM   #589
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Delicacy, indeed!' hmmphed Angara, and turned her back on the assembly, giving the Man one last baleful glare.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:41 AM   #590
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child had spent half the night consulting the library of books. She was still uncertain what to do.

As she read, Idril had been at the helm of the ship. The Lady often did this at night, since she slept little and enjoyed being out under the stars. During the day, she would ferry back to Tuor's ship, which still rode in tandem with them. All the other vessels had long ago departed.

Child noticed that Idril would sometimes look up and whisper something akin to a prayer or invocation. She would look with longing at the morning star. Child turned her face as this seemed like a private moment which should not be interrupted.

After that, Child came over to Idril and sat down at her feet, "Fair Lady, I have spent the whole night consulting ancient charts as well as books of lore. Yet, in my heart, I still do not know how we shall find these hobrim."

Idril lowered her head: "I can not say what you should do, but I will tell that what I would hold in my heart. I would consult with Mithadan as well as my friends regarding my course. For I would not start a quest unless those who came did so willingly."

Idril coninued: "Now think, Child, think. Where must you go? Where do your people come from?"

Child looked shyly at the Lady, "Why, our people, as far as we know, are from the upper vales of the Anduin between the Gladden and the Carrock. The Stoors were the group set furthest south. Our history says that the three groups who lived along the Anduin quietly until the year 1050 of the Third Age. Then, they began the "Wanderng Days", pushing westward. The Harfoot went first, then the Fallohides and the Stoors."

Child thought again, "Wait, most of the hobbits moved west, but I know that many Stoors did not follow the others. They went on their own to Dunland, much further south than the rest; still others returned to Wilderland where they dwelt along the river banks. The latter were the ancestors of Smeagol."

At this point Angara came over demanding her attention about some riddle. Child answered curtly and shoed her away.

Idil smiled, "It seems then Child, that Stoors were more independent than your other kin, does it not? Even the known history shows this. Imagine, perhaps, that there was another migration, but this one on water instead of land. Now, where does that take you, little....."

Child opened her mouth in excitement and rudely cut in, "South, down the River. They would have gone down towards Minas Tirith and then possibly out into the Bay of Belfalas. From there, they could have ventured anywhere, even across the Sea.

Child wondered, "What if there are no more hobrim alive today. Perhaps all Durshag's kin perished in ages past." Child's face fell, but Idril laughed. "Do not worry little one for ways can be found even through the mists of time."

Child glanced expectently at Idril, but she refused to say more on this subject.

Then, suddenly, she noticed a commotion on deck, something about Angara being served up as barbecue balrog wings..... by Mithadan, she believed. Child whirled around and strode over to him.

[ June 29, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-28-2002, 11:49 AM   #591
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio laughed at the interchange of man and dragon. Mithadan seemed to be recovering his spirit since she had last seen him - his barbed wit certainly seemed not the worse for wear.

She went over to where the hobbits stood. 'Can you appease the wyrmlet, somehow, Child? It seems we are short of answers for where to proceed next, and she seems to know something.'
Old 06-28-2002, 12:43 PM   #592
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC -- I have gone WAY outside canon. If you want me to erase this and go in another direction, we can. But just an idea.

Child glared at Pio, Angara, and Lord Mithadan.

She turned to Mithadan: "There will be no barbecue dragon wings, kosher or otherwise! He's my dragon, and you will treat him with respect."

Angara muttered under her breath, "My dragon indeed!! But that respect part was well done."

"Now, Angara, in a moment you will tell me what you know regarding this quest for I too have been very busy and have found some lore to help us."

Child went ahead and spoke the words she and Idril had discussed. Only, in her retellng, it seems that Child had played a very great role, while Idril had sat and listened.
Idril, watching from afar, laughed lightly, but held her counsel.

"Now, Angara, what have you to add to this? It is clear that we must sail up the Anduin to the homeland of my people. We must speak with the men of Gondor and Rohan and consult the libraries of Minas Tirith, much as Gandalf did. Only our records will not be so ancient, of course."

Angara turned her head to Child and laughed. "Yes, Child, part of what you say is correct. You have done quite well for a beginner."

"Beginner!!" Child retorted.

Yes," Angara said, "For the part about the ancient records is not correct. The records you seek on the migration of the hobrim are ancient indeed. Surely you do not think the Sea so loved the hobrim that they grew fins in only 500 years. This would have taken much longer."

"But, how can this be? For Durshag had heard the tales of Smeagol from the Third Age. That would be about 2460. If his people had migrated earlier, they would not know such tales."

Angara laughed, "Have you noticed how much Elven tongue your little Stoor knows. Truly, Child, he knows a great deal more than you do!" Child squirmed and glared at her toes.

Angara continued: "For, at one time, relations between hobbits and Elves were closer. Not the great Elves, those who sit on councils and decide the Fate of the world, but those who are close to running water and the woodlands. These Elves traditionally acted as messengers for your people and carried news for them. There was even a marriage between the Tooks and the Elven kin."

"In any case, that messenger tradition was still alive when Smeagol slayed his kin, although it was dying out by then. The tale of this kinslaying would have been carried by Elvish song to Durshag's great, great grandparents who had migrated centuries before. Now, perhaps his ancestors were alone by this time and had fallen away from the main group, or perhaps they were still with all the Stoors who had migrated." More than this, Idril would not say.

"If I were you, I would search for the descendents of these ancient Elf messegers. (This, by the way, was the origin of your own Shire messenger service.) If anyone knows where your kin have gone, they may have preserved the tale. The men of Gondor and Rohan may be helpful but not so helpful as these Elves."

Child asked: "Who are these Elves?"

Angara lauged: "Have you not heard of the Nandor, the people of Lenwe who feared to cross the Misty Mountains and spread out though the Vales of Anduin. Many of them later crossed over to Ossiriand under the leadership of Denethor and fought in the first battle of Beleriand. Those who migrated were called the Laiquendi."

"But some still stayed behind by the Anduin, and for many years there were messenges sent between the scattered Elf peoples, despite the great distances."

Now Angara lowered her voice, "I have sometimes wondered if the example of the Laiquedi, the Green-Elves, was what put the wander lust into the heart of the Stoors, and whether they may have followed the Laiquendi to Beleriand or even later crossed to Numenor itself."

Child blanched, "You are telling me that my people were around in the ancient days when Numenor existed or even earlier in the time of Beleriand." Child's head was spinning.

Angara snorted: "Surely you don't think hobbits were just created and plopped down on the Anduin in the middle of the Third Age? Of course, they were around in ancient times. Their original home was the Anduin, but some made the decision to migrate elsewhere at an early date."

"Now, if you want to help this hobrim, you must sail up the Anduin to try and find some of these Teleri descendents still living near the banks of the River. They may remember ancient tales that will help you decide what to do."

"Oh, and by the way, you might want to ask Levantro to swim along with you on this adventure. I believe Birdland knows him."

"ne more thing-- if you treat me exceptionally nice over the next few days, I may consider telling you an ancient riddle which you may find to be of great help."

Angara glared again at Child, "My dragon, indeed!"

Old 06-28-2002, 01:44 PM   #593
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

ooc: Wow. You all really know how to tell a god tale. I can't even tell what's true Tolkien and what is made up in favor of the hobrims. I like the concept. If Tolkien was alive we could have sent him a plea asking him to write a book about a new family of hobbits.::

Rose once again experienced her rare times of withdrawel. Her guilt caused her to want others to decide what should be done. However, this caused her to become a valuable observer. She had been amazed at the hobrim's change from hobbit-like to elf-friend-like. She relized that she had seen this change often in Frodo and other hobbits. She had also been very curious in the dragons's riddle feeling she might have somthing important to say. And indeed the information turned out to be astownding. As was the converstion between Idrill and Child.

Rose tried to tie this information into figureing out her own questions. The most urgent being:
'How do you find and bring together a bunch of missing hobrims?' she told herself

'How do you find and bring together a bunch of missing hobbits?'

But who would know the answer?
Old 06-28-2002, 01:47 PM   #594
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie had watched as Durshag had explored the great Elven vessel from top to bottom, but now the Hobrim sat on the railing, looking rather exhausted.

"Durshag, what is wrong?" As with many people, probably because of their size, Birdie's "motherly instincts" were coming to the fore around the sea halfling. But how old was Durshag? He was of course, an adult, and very capable of taking care of himself in a hostile world. Was he older than the other hobbits? Younger? Still, he was looking rather forlorn. "Are you feeling ill, Durshag?"

"No. Not sick. Heavy. So much weight to bear up here in the land. How do hobbits and Elves bear this weight? Must be very strong."

Birdie surpressed a chuckle. It really must be tiring for a sea creature to spend much time on land. Birdie had a feeling that when Hobrim did come to shore, they didn't do much wandering.

"You don't have to stay here on the ship, you know. If you would feel more rested in the sea, go back in. When Child, Mith, Idril and the others have figured out where we can start searching, I'll come and get you."

"You swim?" questioned Durshag doubtfully. Birdie knew that her form didn't look very seaworthy to the aquatic halfling, though he was much too polite to say this out loud. And he had not seen her in any other form. "How will you find me?"

"Like this!" laughed Birdie, and standing on the rail, she turned and fell backward into the sea, changing to her dolphin form as the water rushed over her. "Seeeeeeee?" she whistled. "Come on. I'll race you!"

"Durshag laughed too, a low chuckle sounding like bubbles underwater, and leapt in after her. Then once again, Durshag managed to surprise one of his new companions.

"Skin-Changer!" Skin-Changer!" he exclaimed, smiling in delight.

Birdie reared back in astonishment, then asked. "Another story, Durshag?"

Yes, many, many stories are known. Skin-Changers, Feyloheens, Elven, Mer-Folk. Durshag loves all the tales he hears." He laughed in delight and cried out "Durshag wants to know all tales! From everyone!" Then he sped off, into his true home.

Birdie watched him go and smiled. Hears all tales, and apparently believes them all as well. And why not? Nothing he has heard or seen since meeting us has proved him to be mistaken."

Birdie and Durshag swam and explored the area around the ship for the rest of the day. Then, hearing something thumping through the water, they looked up to see Child and Pio standing by the rail, Child hitting the side of the hull with a belaying pin, and looking out over the surface.

"Birdie! Durshag! Come back! I think we have a plan. Or at least the start of one, anyway."

Old 06-28-2002, 02:01 PM   #595
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(O.C.C. - LOL, Child! Like I'm Miss Strictly By the Books. Damn the canons! Full speed ahead!

Rose, that's why these RPGs can be so much fun. When someone else gets writer's block, someone else can open up the floodgates.)
Old 06-28-2002, 02:07 PM   #596
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Durshag was sleepy from all the exciting events of the past two days. He curled up on a large pillow below deck to take a little nap.

Rose Cotton was passing over the deck when she heard terrifying cries coming out of the cabin next to her. It sounded like Durshag.

Rose raced to the cabin next door. Durshag was sitting up on the pillows crying and shaking.

Rose didn't know what had happened but she held him close to her heart.

Durshag shook his head and whispered, "The water, the wall of water. It came again and almost swept me away. Was it me or my ancestor? I do not know. Only at the last minute a little boat came to take my family away."

He began to weep. "All the rest, all my family's friends and cousins swept away...."

Rose countered, "You have just had a bad dream. It will pass."

"No," said Durshag, shaking his head. "No pass. Come many times. Many times."
Old 06-28-2002, 02:19 PM   #597
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara flew to the top of the mast and watched the waves break against the side of the ship.

She was stewing in her own sulphurous juices, so to speak, and wanted to catch a cool sea breeze. 'I wonder how far they'll get, before they realize they need my help.', she mused, picking her teeth in a delicate but decidedly unladylike fashion with a claw. 'We'll see . . .'.

Don't be so stubborn! prodded Pio.

You are hardly the one to remonstrate with me, Elf! snapped Angara, in response.

Idril laughed. She's got you there, Pio! Best to leave a dragon to her own devices. They often savor grudges for a long while, and only come round in their own time

Angara gave another Hmmmmphhhh!!! and flew down to the deck.

Old 06-28-2002, 02:20 PM   #598
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Frodo, Samwise, Stacey, Rose, Pio, Veritas, Birdland, Mithadan, Meneli, and Rosseil were all gathered around Child. Tuor and Idril were also present. She explained that, if they would agree to this venture, their first task would be to sail up the Anduin and visit the archives at Minas Tirith to see if anything could be found. Then they would search for the descendents of the Elf messengers along the banks of the Anduin. Tuor and Idril could then decide if they wished to accompany us further or depart. A decision would then be made as to where their ship would go next.

Child said she would leave the room so they could privately discuss this plan. Since her own heart was so tied up with Durshag, she knew it would not be fair to stay in the room and browbeat her friends. "I will be taking a nap. Let me know when you have some decision."

Angara stood on one of the larger tables, blowing smoke rings in Mithadan's face. The dragon preened herself: "I still have a riddle, but you were all so nasty to me, that my riddle will stay silent within my breast till I see fit."

Child begged Angara to be reasonable and share her counsel but the dragon would not hear of it. Child shook her head and departed the room.

Rose wondered if she should confide in Child the episode of Durshag and the dream. But she felt that, to reveal this, would violate her confidence to the hobrim. So she said nothing and kept silent.

Old 06-28-2002, 02:46 PM   #599
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan coughed as another smoke ring tickled his nose. He pretended that the simple action of coughing did not cause pain to shoot along his sides. He turned to Angara and smiled. "Alright pretty one," he said. "I apologize for my little joke. No one here would ever dream of damaging your lovely wings. Can I make it up to you somehow?"

A sly look appeared on Angara's face as she pretended to consider Mithadan's offer. "Well, perhaps there is something you could do..." she purred.

A half hour later, Angara's hide nearly glowed. Mithadan's shirt and pants dripped soap and water as he emptied the tub that he had bathed the wyrm in.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:36 PM   #600
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Mithadan placed the tub upside down on the deck to dry and sat down on a nearby chair. A small exclamation of 'oof' escaped him as he lowered himself, his ribs and chest protesting the exertion.

Angara was perched on a towel on the table. Wings outspread, she flapped them slowly to dry the last drops of water from her. She stetched, a satisfied stretch, and settled down as if to nap.

Mithadan brought his face close to hers (a dangerous thing to do with dragons) and rubbed her gently with his knuckles along the flat of her skull. She sighed dreamily and was about to drift off, when he nudged her, ever so lightly with his fingers on her shoulder.

'Yes?', she said, opening one golden eye lazily.

'The bath? The riddle?', Mithadan reminded her.

'Ah, the riddle!,' she said opening both eyes and looking into his face closely. 'Hmmm, in my encounters with Men, I have found them rather slow in thought. Perhaps we should start with a practice run, and see how you do.'

Mithadan raised both his eyebrows at her, but held back his tongue.

'Yes, you just think about this one while I take a nap. Give me the answer tomorrow, if you can. No need to hurry on my account. Ready?'

I never was, am always to be,
No one ever saw me, nor ever will
And yet I am the confidence of all
Who live and breathe in Middle Earth.

And with that she opened her wings and flew toward the staircase to seek a quiet place to sleep below deck.