User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2002, 05:25 PM   #401
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie was weary, but restless and bored as well. She would have even welcomed the chattering of Rose, but the hobbit-lass had chosen to sneak over to Child's room and spend the night with the comfort of her own kind.

The quest quarters of Idril's home were the most luxurious Bird had ever experienced, and she would have gratefully sunk into the swan-down coverlets of the high bed, but she was fearful to change back to human form, lest a servant walk in and catch a strange woman sleeping there, instead of a small black and white crow. She had tried sleeping with her head under one wing, then the other, but it was no use. Bird flitted her wings and landed on the window sill.

She would have thought a walled city surrounded by a crater would have been as dark as ink, but the buildings and walls of Gondolin gave off a faint, milky glow, as if every bit of starlight were captured by the city and given back again. It seemed as beautiful as any pearl to the little skin-changer. Taking her beak to the latch, she lifted it up and hopped out the window.

The honey-scented breeze caressed her feathers and she raised her head to drink in the night air. Bird knew, or gathered, that in two days time this city, and most of the people in it, would be gone. Her inner voice did not even have a chance to issue warnings. She took off, flying over the city of Gondolin at night.

Bird was soon drunk with the beauty of Turgon's creation. Northeast of Idril's house were two sparkling fountains, and Birdie dived into them like a kingfisher, splashing and laughing softly to herself as she bathed her feathers. She flew in to a silent marketplace, picking up a few forgotten scraps that to her tasted as good as any feast. She perched on the roof of a darkened house and gazed in awe at a great needle of a tower that seemed, from her perspective, to reach higher than the mountains that surrounded them. Silently, and for hours, Bird flew around the city, stopping to admire a hidden garden here, a massive piece of statuary there; drinking in the glory of Gondolin, greatest tribute to the genius, and the passions, of the Elven Kind.

At last, about a half hour before dawn, Bird found herself in a narrow, winding avenue, completely shrouded on both sides by acres and acres of roses of every kind. It took her back to the wall in Minas Tirith, where the roses had hung low and covered the first of the clues that they had found there. Bird was very tired by now, but in a good way, and she lingered among the rose trellises for a few more moments, plucking a bloom with her foot, and wishing she could morph back to woman-form - just for a moment - so she could wear it behind her ear. She sang idly and happily to herself:

O She look'd out of the window,
White as any milk;
But He look'd into the window,
As black as any silk.

Hulloa, hulloa, hulloa, hulloa,
You coal black smith!...

The song was interrupted by footsteps coming up the path. Bird shrunk back among the rosevines as a tall, black figure walked slowly down the avenue. It would have seemed that the Elf was taking in the beauty of the flowers as well, except that his head was down, and he seemed to see nothing but the walk ahead of him. Then he stopped in silence and slowly lifted his head to a dark sky with the smell of dawn.

Bird's heart stopped, as did her breath. She thought back, not so long ago, to a storm, a broken wheelhouse, and a spectre screaming into the wind.

There he was: white as milk, black as silk. The skin-changer was looking into the pale, melancholy face and dark cloaked form of Maeglin.

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-04-2002, 06:19 PM   #402
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child awoke startled, but peaceful, from her mysterious dream. Hearing the sweet melody of the songbirds, she ran to the sash and pushed it open. Outside, the day was bright and summery. The early rays of the sun gleemed white and silver off distant towers and turrets.

The southern portion of the city, where Idril lived with her husband and son, lay open and uncrowded. Plants and trees of surpassing loveliness surrounded the house, spilling flowers and fruits of many different colors out onto the grounds. It was difficult not to fall under this magic spell of Elven beauty. It was even more difficult to comprehend that this scene of grace and goodness would be totally destroyed in just a few short days.

Child hurriedly tugged her clothing on and combed her hair. Rose still lay in bed, curled up in a small ball and sleeping. Child knew that they had two days to plot out their course, until the dreaded evening before the Summer Festival. She carefully considered what this meant for her own plans. Rose could come with her today to visit the hobbits of Gondolin. Tomorrow morning would be a different story.

Child snatched a pan of water sitting on the bureau and sprinkled drops onto the sleeping form of her friend. Within a few moments, Rose was alive and awake, laughing and threatening to chase Child about the room to pay her back for her mischief.

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-04-2002, 06:51 PM   #403
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Suddenly a small black and white bullet dived in through the open window. It took a moment for Child to realize that the frantic, flapping creature winging through the room was Birdie. Rose had let out a little shriek and had snatched up bottle from the bedside table, taking aim with hobbit accuracy until she too realized what it was that had sped into their room.

The crow finally seemed to get its bearings, for it dived under the covers and disappeared.

Child and Rose exchanged disbelieving looks before bending down over the bed and slowly pulling the covers back. Bird was huddled in the center of the bed, feathers slicked down flat and shaking miserably.

"I saw him! Child, I saw him!"
Old 08-04-2002, 10:48 PM   #404
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child raced over to the bed and cradled Bird between the palms of her two hands, something that she would not normally have done. But the crow looked too miserable and stricken to protest this outrage.

"Who, Bird, who?" Rose demanded.

The reply came swift and sure. "Him, that murderous Elven traitor Maeglin, who slinks about the gardens and squares as if he already owns them all. He dresses in black like a minion of the Dark One."

"And I have seen something else. I'm afraid it is something that doesn't bode well for the safety of your folk."

It was Child's turn now to press the crow for an answer. Bird cocked her head up and puffed out sleek black feathers to resume her usual size and shape. "The hobbits live in small burrows dug into the hillsides along the edge of the city. Their fields too are there. Most of them seem to be cultivating fruit and vegetable gardens to provide food for the Elves. They apparently sell their products within the Greater Market."

"And, Child," Bird said, her voice rising with alarm. "There are so many of them, not hundreds, but at least a thousand. Maybe even more. I am certain of that. Their burrows look small, but they are all crowded in next to one another."

"One thousand or more?," stammered Child in disbelief. Apparently, Idril's hospitality and compassion had been more than they had imagined. Child also wondered how Mithadan and Pio could hope to rescue such a mass of refugees. "And where is this community located?"

The crow shook her head and whispered, as if concealing a terrrible secret. "That is the worst of it. Their burrows are directly east of the North Gate. They extend along the outer wall from the gate itself down towards the Great Market. Their homes stand northeast of the Road of Arches and the Palace."

Bird stopped to let these facts sink in, while Child shook her head in dismay. She was no expert on miliary tactics or strategy, but she knew enough about the fall of the city and Morgoth's battle plans to realize that she could not have selected a worse location for the hobbits if she had tried.

Old 08-05-2002, 07:46 AM   #405
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child left Rose and Bird talking to each other about the sights of the city. She undid the latch and went next door to Pio's room. The Elf was already busying herself with morning preparations.

Pio informed Child, "As soon as you are ready, Idril has arranged for two ponies to take you and Rose to Maura Tuk's house. Lindo will show you where he lives. Meet him in front of the stables as soon as you can."

Pio hesitated, but then went on, "Unfortunately, the hobbits live in the far side of the city just west of the North gate."

Child nodded agreement, and explained what Bird had reported from her flight the night before. When she mentioned the name "Maeglin" to her friend, a scowl came over Piosenniel's face.

As Child left the room, the Elf gave her one final warning, "Remember, no matter what happens, you can not tell anyone that the attack will occur in two days. Try to persuade the hobbits of our goodness and our concern for them, and the general danger of their situation. Explain to them that Mithadan and I will speak with Tuor and the King today to decide what is the best course to take."

Child said yes and went back to make her preparations to leave. The three friends agreed that Bird would perch on Rose's shoulders, and come along with them.

[ August 06, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-05-2002, 11:20 AM   #406
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The three made their way to the stables where they found Lindo saddling the ponies. Child could not help herself. She turned to the hobbit and gazed at him with curiousity. He was slender and fair, and was dressed much like any other Elf in the household. It was apparent that he spoke fluent Elvish.

He tersely said to them, "The Lady has requested that I take you to the home of Maura Tuk, so I will do that."

Beyond those words, he offered no greeting. The hobbits could sense that he neither trusted nor liked them.

As they rode along, Child felt a tentative pull within her head. She had felt that tug before. It was the sort of thing Angara would do when she wished to speak mind-to-mind, or find out something that Child already knew. Child knew that Elves often communicated with each other this way. She herself could not speak with any elves or hobbits, but with her own dragon it was different. Angara had taught her to share ideas, and to close down her own mind so that no one else could peer inside. She had even helped Rose master the skill of shutting down her thoughts to protect her privacy.

Child wasn't sure where this tug came from, but she instinctively clamped down to push the intruder out. The three continued their ride in silence. At one point, however, Rose's eyes met her own, as if she too had felt something strange. Occasionally, Bird took off from Rose's shoulder and flew about to have a look at all that she could see.

After they had ridden some time, the landscape began to change. Ahead lay a bank of hobbit burrows nestled into a vast series of small hillsides, one tucked immdiately next to the other. To Child's immediate left, she could see the North Gate.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:29 PM   #407
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm back!! from holiday.
I missed a whole lot. Could someone please give me a quick freshing up, because I don't want to read ten pages story. (yes, I'm lazy) Please? Thank you.

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: Veritas ]
Old 08-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #408
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Veritas - I just Private Messaged you - please read that!
Old 08-05-2002, 03:29 PM   #409
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC -- glad to see you. I will try to give you a summary later today.

As Child glanced about, she saw several hobbit children playing near their homes. They looked healthy and well fed. Their laughter and simple games rang out over the green grass. They wore clean but rustic clothing, much like the outfits Idril had given to herself and Rose.

Lindo stopped his pony before a round door which looked no different than others they had passed. Then he dismounted. "This is it," he said. I will return to get you later in the day." Abruptly, he turned and left, before Child could even open her mouth to ask a question.

She had hoped for an introduction, but was evidently not going to get one. She stepped forward with Rose and Bird, knocking upon the door. A tiny but well tended garden sprouted under the single window which faced the shady lane.

An instant later, Child was looking into the eyes of a young hobbit woman, her face open and kindly. She seemed to be a young matron. Child offered her hand and greetings, "Very pleased to meet you. We are guests of Idril and are here to speak with your husband about our own needs as well as something important to our people."

"My husband?" The girl sounded puzzled. Then she smiled and answered in the common tongue. "You mean my father Maura Tuk."

She quickly invited them in. Bird who had been riding on the top of Rose's head had to bend her neck to keep from scraping against the ceiling. The girl continued, "My own husband, Ban, is off working in the fields. My name is Zira, and this is our son Abar." At that moment, a three-year old scooted by on steady legs.

She pulled up chairs and went on. "A messenger came this morning and brought a letter from the Lady. She told us something of your coming and the sad tale you bear."

"You have recently escaped from the harsh lands of east Beleriand?" Concern was evident in her voice.

"Yes," stammered Child. "My daughter and I would like to join your community. I know it sounds strange but so much happened to us that we remember some things about the war and about ourselves, while others have totally slipped from our mind." Child's voice trailed off....."We can't even remember the names we went by."

Zira grasped Child's hand and said, "Do not feel badly. You are not the only ones. Father has taken in many who have found themselves in similar straits. Generally, the patrols find our people wounded or unconscious outside the gates of the city. Sometimes the patrols blindfold them, to protect the secrets of our ways, and then bring them to us."

She smiled slightly. "You, however, are the only ones to arrive on the back of a flying beast, or so the tales in the streets say." Child shifted uncomfortably and said nothing.

At that moment, Maura Tuk pushed aside the curtain which separated the two small rooms of the house. He strode in, with a small book of lore in one hand, and three hobbit children from the neighborhood scampering about his feet. He turned to the the threesome and said with laughter, "Get back to your parents to help in the gardens, or they will have my neck for keeping you away from honest work too long."

He turned to Child with an explanation. "I'm sorry to be late. The children come here most mornings, and I, or my daughter, teach them a bit. Nothing fancy, how to read and write our own tongue or a bit of Elvish. They always manage, however, to prod some stories out of me about the First Elves or the Valar or even how our own people awoke."

Child looked at him, her eyes widening. In this simple and crowded world, some hobbits were struggling to pass on what learning they could.

Maura continued, "I was sorry to hear what happened to you and your daughter. Do you have any older memories at all?"

"Yes, a few." Child felt increasingly embarassed to lie to this gentle man and his family. She decided to share as much of the truth as she could without revealing who she was. "I am a teacher. I love to work with children. And my husband....my husband died in our village after an attack." This was very true, although she made no mention of Saruman and his role in all this.

The light in Maura's eyes softened. "Our family, too. My wife who was a healer went out with the patrols to gather certain needed remedies. There was an ambush by Orcs. I never saw her again."

"I'm sorry," Child whispered.

He turned again, "But you, you are welcome to join our community. You may stay with our family until we build you a small burrow. Things may be crowded, but I think you will find things more pleasant than where you were before."

"You must have names, though. At least first names to start out with. Your young one," he said, looking at Rose with distant and shining eyes, "will be Azra because she looks to be one who loves the Sea. "

Child wondered how he could possibly have sensed that.

"And you, who are a teacher are Nitir, or 'kindler'. For our people say, whoever teaches, kindles a fire in the fea of a child."

"Now, I know you bring other business as well, but that will wait until after lunch."

Child awkwardly voiced her thanks and sat down to the noon meal, her mind reeling in confusion. They were soon joined by Ban, who came in with several large baskets of fruit. He stopped to play with his child.

Child could not help but think that these were not the crude forefathers she had imagined or feared. For, in certain ways, they had more grace and gentility than the hobbits of her own world.

Old 08-05-2002, 05:18 PM   #410
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie did not like that Lindo, oh, no, not at all. "Putting on airs. Turning his back on his own people, he is", thought Birdie to herself.

As she took a short, circling flight around the ponies, she considered doing to Lindo a certain trick that the crow-folk were famous for, but decided that Child would never forgive her for such crudity, even in her current form.

So she contented herself with landing on the Halfling and pecking at the Elven brooch on his shoulder. Lindo started and waved the "bird" away brusquely, only to have the crow return again and try to filch the shiny object. A sour look from Child soon put an end to this game, though.

Now these other Hobbits, This was more like it. You could see that their stay in Gondolin had had an effect on them, but their kindly, life-loving Hobbit nature still shown through.

Birdie waited politely, like a good "pet", on the door lintel of the hole, waiting for introductions and, perhaps, a share of the meal. But as she gazed out over the city, the most human part of her mind was repeating a mournful refrain: "Two more days. Only two more days!"
Old 08-05-2002, 06:30 PM   #411
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The meal was hearty and plentiful Child and Rose felt as though they had returned to the Shire after a long, unwanted absence. There was one dish of sausange and mushrooms which Child silently swore was exactly the same as her mother used to make. Even Bird seemed to be having a good time. Abar insisted on feeding large plates of food to the crow, who then paraded her linguistic talents much to the delight of the boy and to everyone at the table.

After all had eaten more than they could hold and Zira played several tunes on the flute, Maura guided Child behind a curtain into the small side room. He sat down on a stool near the broad window ledge and drew up a seat for her. Idril's letter lay on the ledge between them. Maura pointed his finger at it, "Nitir, what can you tell me about this?"

Child scarcely knew what to say. How could she possibly make this good man understand that his entire world would soon be destroyed? And she was not even allowed to use words that were clear and precise.

She tried to explain as best she could. "These are my friends, the man Mithadan, and the Elf Pio." She thought also of Bird but said nothing about that. "They have big hearts and care about our people. The are afraid Gondolin will soon come under the hand of Morgoth and that the hobbits will be dragged off and imprisoned, or even worse. They have travelled here to speak with Tuor and Turgon to try and make a plan to lead you, to lead us," she corrected herself, "to safety."

Maura put his head down to rest on his palms. "Safety? What or where is safety? Nothing you say is new. Every hobbit knows of Morgoth's hatred of us, though few understand its cause. The greatest safety we have known has been here in Gondolin."

"This is my city. This is my home. I hope it will last for ages to come. But, if not, if some terrible thing was to happen, we will fight for our families as well as for the Elves who have been our friends and protected us. You may bring whatever proposals you wish, and I will show them to the other leaders in the community. But, unless Idril personally tells us to leave and to go someplace else, I will not advise our community to flee. We will hold on."

Child looked up with a start. "Hold on." Angara had used those same words, and she had heard them, too, in her dream.

Child turned to him sadly, "Maura, don't you believe what I say?"

"Nitir, I do believe you. I believe that the hobbits are in danger and that Gondolin hangs by a thread. But there is no place for us to flee. I believe that you and your friends have good hearts, but somehow the time is not right for such things as you suggest. If the time had been right, surely I would have ....." His voice abruptly halted.

"Child placed her hand over his, "Please, go on. Tell me what you are thinking."

He continued, ""If the time had been right, I would have been told."

"Told? Told by whom? she asked.

"Surely you know. I am no mayor or organizer of soldiers. Other hobbits have more skill in these jobs than I. I am keeper of the lore, of the tales, and sometimes, just sometimes, Ancalimon speaks with me, whether through dreams or face-to-face. He tells our people what to do. He has said nothing about a rescue, so I do not believe the time is right."

"Who or what is Ancalimon? Child questioned. She remembered the stone inscription and picture from beneath Minas Tirith. She also remembered Pio's words about a young man in grey robes who was a servant of the light. But she still did not understand who Ancalimon was, or why he chose to help her people.

"I am not certain of that, but he has counselled our great-grandparents, and even their great-grandparents. He comes when he is needed, and sometimes when we least expect him. It was because of him that our people turned west and left their lands to come here, to stand closer to the light."

"I am sorry, Nitir, but until Ancalimon tells me it is time to leave, our people will stay here and hold on. We belong here. And, even if I were certain that, one week from today, the entire city would fall, I would still say this answer is right."

"And you, Nitir, what will you do, will you go with your friends, or stay with us?"

Child looked at him and said softly, but firmly, "I too am a hobbit, and like you, I will hold on."

Old 08-05-2002, 09:02 PM   #412
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As Child turned to leave, she stopped for an instant. "There is one more thing I need to ask you. When you speak with Ancalimon or dream dreams, are there times when you can not tell others what you have seen? Not because you deal with evil, but because the world is not ready for some things yet. Does that ever happen?"

He shook his head yes in reply.

Child continued, "For me, too, it's the same, although I do not know this Ancalimon whom you speak about. Please don't tell anyone about this, but I've also seen things which I cannot share with you or anyone else here. To do so would bring only sorrow. But I have come to help."

"I can't lie any more, but there may be times when I will turn my head away and say nothing. The truth is the young girl is not my daughter, but she is like a daughter to me. I will probably not bring her with me, since I don't want to lead her into danger. And she and I didn't forget our names, but it is far too dangerous for either of us to remember them. And it may be more honest to say that I'm simply from someplace you've never heard of that's very far away. Other than that, I have told you the truth."

Maura nodded in understanding. "In war, many things must be forgotten, and we are at war. Wouldn't you agree?"

Child gazed at him intently, "Yes, Maura, we hobbits are definitely at war."

Child entered the main room. She glanced over at Rose. The girl's face looked as white as a sheet of snow. Child wondered just how much of her conversation had been overheard. Lindo had just come inside the house. Another hobbit, Tomba, stood by his side. The other hobbit was to lead them back to Idril's household, while Lindo remained with Maura to deal with some business. They shook hands all around to say goodbye, and Child promised to return the next day. Bird perched once more on Rose's shoulder, as their party made its careful way back across the city.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:28 PM   #413
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Maura slid his arm around the shoulders of the younger hobbit, "Come, let's get some air. We can talk outside."

Lindo looked up at Maura. "What do you think? Was I right? The woman isn't telling the truth. Her mind is shut up like a clam after it's been pulled out of the lake. And I tell you her party arrived on the back of a dragon, and, before they left, this woman placed her head down upon the beast's neck to bid it goodbye. I spoke with one of the guards on duty."

Maura looked at Lindo and smiled, "I don't deny what you say, but it's not the whole tale. This woman has secrets. But there is no evil in her words or deeds, or, I believe, in those of her friends. And who has heard of an evil dragon that will let a lady touch or speak with him? I have talked with the woman for some time. She says she wants to help, and I believe her."

"Lindo, you are still young. Not all secrets in life arise out of evil. Sometimes, great goodness also finds its home in a quiet spot. And there are many reasons why some things may not always be said in the light of day."

"Nitir has asked to remain with my family, and I have said yes. She's not sure about her daughter. We will see about that later, although even there I have a feeling she may grace my table too."

Lindo turned to the older hobbit and asked, "What will you do when these strangers speak to Tuor and Turgon, and suggest that we leave Gondolin to go to another place where it will supposedly be safer?"

Maura shook his head, "That is another matter. I have already explained to her that, unless Idril commands us to leave or Ancalimon tells us something different, I will recomend that we stay where we belong, which is here in Gondolin. And I would not change my mind if one hundred dragons and balrogs came banging on my door tomorrow."

"And she accepted this?" Lindo asked.

"Yes, she says, like us, she will stay and hang on. And I will not deny that right to any hobbit in the world."

"And, Lindo, one more thing. No more pushing yourself into the minds of others, even when you do it quite well and are only trying to protect your people from someone you suspect. Remember, we've been taught to show mercy towards strangers. This woman and her party are no exception. If you give her a chance, you may come to find her more pleasant than you thought!"

Lindo sighed and nodded, "Alright, alright, I'll try. I just wish she'd get rid of that blasted crow. It attacked me and my cloak with its Elven clasp all the way across the city."

A peculiar picture presented itself in Maura's mind. He could not help himself. The image of the crow dive bombing onto the younger hobbit's shoulder was too delicious to resist. He began holding his sides and laughing, until Lindo himself broke down and also began to chortle. Lindo sniped back at his older friend, "I never knew service in an Elvish household would entail such difficult chores!"

"Well," replied Maura, "You'll have to take lessons from my grandson Abar. He seems to have mastered the task of placating the bird. He feeds it great bowls of food and ruffles its feathers!"

They arrived at the door of Maura's burrow with great laughter, and went inside arm-and-arm to sit down.

Old 08-06-2002, 07:34 AM   #414
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As they rode back, Tomba pointed out the sights, naming the different buildings and squares for the two hobbits in his charge. Child paid close attention to the names of the streets and every twist or turn in the road, so that she could return on her own, if she needed to.

She knew she had to report to Piosenniel or Mithadan as quickly as possible. Unless Idril gave a direct order, or they could find this mysterious Ancalimon, it didn't appear likely the hobbits would consent to go anywhere. And something in Child's heart whispered that, this time at least, there would be no Ancalimon to come and speak with Maura.

But still, she thought, they would have to try. And she also had personal questions for which she needed an answer. Perhaps Piosenniel could tell her more about who or what Ancalimon was, and exactly what it meant to be "keeper of the lore." She had lived in hobbit villages her whole life. She had heard of mayors and thains and messengers and hobbits who summoned others to battle in time of need, but never had she heard any of any "keeper of the lore".

And the most perplexing question of all, what should she do about Rose? Rose had said little to her since her discussion with Maura. Child did not know what she was feeling or thinking, or even what she had heard or understood.

The older hobbit still felt she needed to do this thing on her own, without endangering her friends. She considered speaking to Pio to keep a close eye on the girl to make sure she would come out safely.

Old 08-06-2002, 09:23 AM   #415
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan paced back and forth within the confines of his quarters. He had spent the morning on the balcony looking out on the center of the city, trying to glimpse such detail of its buildings and layout as he could at such a distance. He had drawn a rough map to the extent that his vision of the streets and thoroughfares were not blocked by the many towers and buildings. The city seemed to be laid out in quadrants with four main roads meeting at a central square from which rose the Tower of the King.

He ground his teeth in annoyance. Here he was in the greatest city which elves had ever constructed in Middle Earth and he could do no more than strain his eyes to catch details of its splendour. It was clear that he would stand out like a sore thumb if he attempted to walk the streets. There was only one Man authorized by the King to be in the city and he could not pass himself off as an Elf unless he wore a deep hood and cloak, and that would also be unusual. So he cooled his heels in a luxurious room which, for all purposes, might as well be a prison cell, while Gondolin at the height of its power and beauty was a matter of steps away. He attempted to console himself by planning to exit the house under the cover of darkness but this provided him with little solace. The city at night could not compare to the city in full light. In anticipation of the next evening's exertions, he laid himself down for a nap.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:51 AM   #416
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

After Rose and Child had returned their ponies to the stables, Child went about the house hoping to find Piosenniel. She was nowhere to be found. Child went down the hall to Mithdan's chamber and knocked softly on the door.

She heard some scuffled sounds inside, and then the noise of Mithadan taking up his sword and cautiously approaching the door. Child whispered through the keyhole, "It's only me, Child. I need to speak with you. I've just come back from Maura Tuk."

The door opened slightly and Child slipped through. She explained to Mithdan where she and Rose and Bird had gone and what they had learned. The man listened carefully.

Several times, he interrupted with questions. He seemed to want to know many details about the layout of the city, the size of the streets, and the dimensions of the buildings which Child had not considered at all. Like Pio he looked concerned when Child described how large the community was and that there might be well over a thousand hobbits.

As Child described her conversation with Maura Tuk, Mithadan's face grew even more grim. He responded sharply, "How do we know this Maura Tuk speaks for all hobbits? He is only one among many. Even he mentions that there are other leaders."

Child looked up, "Yes, only one among many, but he is special. If this question involved what crops to grow or how many men to send out to help patrol, then I think he would have no more voice than any other. But this question we bring......, it is a more basic matter. Ancalimon has told him that the hobbit people are to remain where they are, even if there is hardship and death. He will speak against any rescue plans, unless Idril herself should command them to leave, or he should hear otherwise from Ancalimon."

"Maura seemed to assume that, since I was a hobbit, I would have heard of Ancalimon. The problem is that I have only seen the same inscription as the rest of you in Minas Tirith plus the little bit that Pio has told me. I really do not know or understand very much. Perhaps, Ancalion is an Elf who has befriended the hobbits for many years. Perhaps Idril knows him, and can summon him to speak with Maura, and then the hobbits will agree to come."

"And you, Child, did you explain what we wanted to do, or try to talk a bit of sense into this hobbit?" He turned and looked at her with serious eyes.

Child swallowed and would not meet his gaze, "A little," she said.

Mithadan turned towards her, "A little?" His voice was stern and probing. "Your people are in danger of perishing in the flames."

Child said weakly, "I did the best I could." Then she continued, "I will say this. The man is no fool. He understands that an attack may come any day, but he believes the hobbits must remain in Gondoln for now."

What she did not tell Mithadan, what she could barely admit to herself, was that she had found Maura and his words very convincing. If Ancalimon did not come and tell them something different, perhaps the hobbits were meant to remain here, to hold on and deal as best they could with the catastrophe which would soon be upon all their heads.

Old 08-06-2002, 12:14 PM   #417
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan softened his tone. "I'm sure that you did as best you could. I suppose that we all considered the possibility that we would not be able to convince your kin to leave. After all, we can give them no good reason why they should. We cannot tell them that Gondolin will come under attack in less then 48 hours. Beleriand is almost entirely under the domination of Morgoth and they cannot conceive of leaving this fair city for any place that they know of. And even if we did decide to depart and the King allowed them to do so, a big if, how could we transport them all?"

Mithadan rubbed his eyes wearily. His short sleep had given him little rest. "How can we transport them all? We have not planned well or thought matters through. Angara cannot carry a thousand Hobbits. And it is too late for them to simply walk out of the Echoriath into Beleriand. This area must be rife with the Enemy by now. Our plan has gone awry."

Child looked at Mithadan with dismay...

[ August 06, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 08-06-2002, 12:29 PM   #418
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The small atrium was just as Pio remembered it. Sun streamed into the courtyard, glinting off the watery cascade flowing down the sides of the small fountain in its center. Water burbled from the top of the natural rock formation and slid smoothly into a pool at the base where floated many flowers. Sunlight caught the fine mist rising from the water's source and threw rainbows shimmering into the air.

She picked up a small toy ship, discarded on the pool's rim, and turned it over in her hands. Putting a few small pebbles in it for 'crew', she placed it gently on the water and let it sail about. It bumped into flower 'islands' here and there, and sailed on round 'til it was out of site behind the fountain, just as she knew it would.

'We like to do that, too', came a small, girl's voice from her left. 'If you wait long enough,'added a huskier voice, 'it will come back to you.'

She saw them, then,in the shade of the courtyard entrance - a young girl with short, brown curls and her slightly older male companion. Both had boats in their hands, and looked at her expectantly.

'Would you like to play?', asked the girl, smiling and peeking out from behind her friend. 'Yes, it's more fun if there are more of us to make up adventures.' added the boy. He pulled his friend by the hand to stand in front of the seated elf. 'I'm Eärendil,' he said fixing her with his clear eyes, 'and this is my friend, Pio.'

Grey eyes looked into grey eyes, and her breath caught in her throat. The girl raised her hand to touch the older elf's dark curls. 'Look, just like mine!' Her smile mirrored its twin on the face of the older elf. 'What's your name?' asked little Pio. 'Are you the Lady I heard had come to visit last night?' A stream of questions came pouring forth from the curious children.

'Yes, I came last night with some friends to visit Idril and Tuor.' laughed Pio, 'and my name is . . .'

Before she could finish her sentence, another laughing voice cut her off. 'Pio! You are not making a nuisance of yourself are you? Perhaps the lady wants some time to herself without such inquisitive imps as you trying to entice her into one of your adventures!'

Two sets of grey eyes turned to that familiar voice.

'Oh, ama! We weren't bothering her. She was already playing when we found her. She's nice. Come meet her!'

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-06-2002, 01:43 PM   #419
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The hobbit woman came forward at her daughter's request, and curtsied slightly to the elf. 'I'm Holly Stur,' she said, 'and this, as you must already have guessed, is my daughter, Piosenniel - or Pio, as we more often call her.' She smiled at the elf.

It was all the older Pio could do to refrain from reaching out to wrap in her in a big embrace. She reached out her hand to Holly and took the hobbit's hand warmly within her own. 'You have a lovely child!' she said, 'She bears a good name for having a mother named Holly! I thought never to meet another with that name - mine, too, is Piosenniel. Or Pio, as my friends call me, also!' She winked at the girl. 'Listen, little Pio,' she continued, 'why don't you and Eärendil play here for a while and I will come join you. I'd like to speak with your ama for a little while.' She saw the girl's face begin to break into a frown at this request. 'I'll come right back! I promise!' she said, 'And we'll sail our ships and look for treasure!'

Somewhat mollified, the two children launched their own ships into the pool, and chattered on about what lands they might sail to.

The two women stood and watched them for a few moments, then left the courtyard.

Holly invited Pio to the small terrace near her rooms. 'We can sit here, and talk, if you wish.' she said, inviting the elf to be seated. The terrace faced the Fountains of the South, and in the background stood the distant Tower of Turgon. A gracious hostess, Holly brought out a small plate of sweetmeats and a bottle of chilled wine. She poured each of them a glass and sat down next to Pio, the small table of refreshments between them.

'It's a beautiful view, isn't it?' she said, gesturing with her glass toward the northeast.

'Yes,' said Pio looking at the profile of the hobbit, 'indeed.', then turning away, her words stuck in her throat.

'Lady Idril has spoken with me, Pio.' came the quiet voice of the hobbit, now looking full on at the elf. 'She did not want me frightened when I met you. I can scarce believe what she told me. Though on looking at you, I can see what my little one might grow into. A strong, lovely woman, but with some lingering sadness.' She reached across the small space between them and took Pio's hand, bringing it to her own cheek. 'Show me the necklace, Pio, and tell me of your life.'

Pio unclasped the necklace and placed it in her mother's hand. Coming to sit at her feet, she rested herself against her mother's legs as she did when a child.

'Oh, ama, now I am no longer sad.'

The two spoke long and quietly, until the trees near the edge of the terrace threw long shadows to the east. Then placing the necklace around Pio's neck once more, Holly stood and embraced her daughter. 'We should check on the little one.' she said. 'She will be wondering why you haven't returned. And Lady Idril wanted to see us also, soon. So, let us find them both. Though I think it wise not to tell little Pio who you are; she would not understand. And I would have her days with me as happy and carefree as I can keep them.'

Having made this agreement between them, the two walked side by side back to the atrium, to find the children had gone on to other games. Telling little Pio to come wake her early tomorrow to play at ships, they left the two youngsters and went to find Lady Idril.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:48 PM   #420
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

At that moment, a small, black and white crow circled the garden and lighted on the fountain's rim. It shook out its feathers, and eyed the children with a cocked head. Then it turned its glance at Pio, before a returning boat caught its attention.

As an abandoned boat came around, the bird plucked a shiny pebble, round and glittering with quartz, off the deck of the toy craft, and solemnly paced over to the brown, curly-headed girl by the water. It laid the pebble in the lap of the girl, then croaked "bain felig!", while the children looked on, open-mouthed. "Ohhh, is he yours, Lady?"; and the boy-child beside her echoed: "Is he yours?"

The dark-haired Halfling lady held out her hand to the pet, But Bird ignored her, taking the opportunity to hop on Pio's shoulder, where she whispered in her ear: "They return. The news is bad."

[ August 06, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-06-2002, 03:20 PM   #421
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

"Its a logistical nightmare," groaned Mithadan as he scribbled on a paper with a pen from Child's pack. "If we assume that Angara can carry 20 Hobbits per trip, and that may not be correct, then it will take 50 flights to evacuate 1000 Hobbits. And what if there are 1200 or 1500?"

He rubbed his eyes wearily. The afternoon of straining to make out the details of the city had given him a headache. "On top of that, the Lonely Star will not hold more than perhaps a 100 Hobbits plus its crew, and that may be stretching matters. That's 10 trips to transport them to...wherever we're taking them. We have not thought this through at all."

"I wish we had another dragon," mused Child.

At that moment, Bird alighted on the windowsill and cocked her head at the two. Mithadan looked at the shapechanger and his eyes narrowed. "...'another dragon'," he whispered.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:34 PM   #422
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio excused herself from her mother, saying she had just remembered something she must take care of. She asked her to please make her excuses to Lady Idril for the moment, saying that she would meet with them later.

Holly hurried on then to her meeting, and Pio whispered back to Bird. 'Who? and what is bad news?'

'It's Child, she's back from her visit to the hobbits. She's gone to talk with Mithadan. I think you should hear it from them.' Pio nodded in assent. 'I'll fly back and let them know you are coming.' said Bird, already airborne.

The elf strode quickly down the halls to find her companions.

[ August 06, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #423
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"...but I keep trying to tell you!" Bird explained again to Child and Mith. They had been at it for a half an hour, Mith insisting that Bird could do it, "if only she tried", and Birdie telling him, "No Mith, it doesn't work that way, at least for me it doesn't!"

I've told you and told you; I don't choose the shape, the shape chooses me." Bird was suddenly very, very tired. She found herself missing Kali, and Levanto, and the sea.

Mithadan suddenly sweeped the papers off the desk, and slammed his fist down. The room became very silent. Mith had been trapped too long in this luxurious, but small cage while others had taken action. The fact that Bird had taken a tour of the city at night had not improved his temper one bit.

"Very well then." he said slowly. "Perhaps you would like to explain to us just exactly how these shapes 'choose' you. There must be something that triggers this phenomena. Something that causes your body to decide that it would very much like to try taking the form of, say - a neekerbreeker."

"Yes, Mith. There is." Birdie said quietly

"Well then what is it!"

"You have to try to kill me."

Old 08-06-2002, 04:00 PM   #424
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan blinked twice then shut his eyes and shook his head. He opened his eyes again and forced them to focus upon Bird. "Excuse me?" he said.

"You have to try to kill me," Bird repeated.

Mithadan resisted the urge to sweep out his sword and test Bird's thesis. There would be ample opportunity during the next evening and the dark morning which would follow for Bird's life to be threatened.

"I'll kill you later," he muttered irritably.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:06 PM   #425
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Who has to try to kill you?' said Pio, who had stood silently just within the doorway to Mithadan's room. She paused, considering the shape-changer, 'And must you be thinking of dragons just before the attempt to make it work? Or does your mind pull up the image needed to deflect the attempt to kill you from creatures it has encountered before?'

She waited for Bird to digest what she had asked.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:14 PM   #426
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Uh, I think it's the second one," said Bird, after puzzling over the syntax for a bit. "Remember when I fell off 'The Lonely Star' and almost drowned? That's when I became a dolphin for the first time. As for neekerbreeker:" here she glared at Mith, "When I was very little, I was playing in the forest where my foster father was tree-cutting. I got in the way as the tree was falling, and I just -well - changed. Neekerbreeker was my first." she said, with chin lifted high.

"And the crow?" asked Mith wearily

"Fell off a cliff." Bird thought for a minute, then mused. "I think the Ent-Wive was a landslide."

Old 08-06-2002, 04:38 PM   #427
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'So,' continued the elf, simplifying her syntax for the befuddled looking bird, 'What kind of situation could we set up to see if you might change to a dragon?'

The three looked at Bird for an answer.

'Would it help if we enlisted the aid of Angara?' continued Pio.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:34 PM   #428
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

"But how could we do that?" mused Child. "We couldn't just invite Angara here as if she was a houseguest. And I can tell you there are already rumors among the hobbits that we arrived on a strange flying beast. This sort of thing is not going to inspire confidence among my people."

She privately wondered what Maura would say if she invited him to ride on the back of a dragon. He seemed to take life easily and naturally. Perhaps, he would not be as reluctant as she might think.

She continued, "I suppose that Bird could fly out to Angara, and try to explain our problem. Angara might oblige by wringing her neck, of course. Or perhaps, she could suggest a more creative solution."

Child's eyes lit up. "What if Angara picked a fight with Bird? Maybe I could send her a message saying that Bird was threatening my own life, or perhaps the safety of the hobbits. She was pretty protective of me towards the end," said Child sighing. "Then Bird would have to change into a dragon to save herself. The problem is how would we stop the two of them from fighting and killing each other?"

"Wait a minute, Child," interjected Mithadan. "Are you certain that Bird would become a dragon in that sitution? If I were faced with an angry dragon trying to kill me, I might just find that a hideous balrog would be a more suitable match. Or, if Bird had even more imagination, she might become a neekerbreeker or a tiny mite and simply fly away."

"Well," responded Child. "I guess we'll never know unless we try. But it sounds awfully risky for both Bird and Angara."

"And I still don't undestand where you'd put all the hobbits once they dismounted from the dragons. In the best of circumstances, you'd be sending our ship back and forth through the ages a dozen times. How could you be sure that all the hobbits would end up in the same time and place? With a mistake of only fifty years on each trip, you'd have hobbits scattered in a dozen different times, friends and families unable to reach each other. And if you don't keep the community together, what hope do they have to survive?"

"Don't you remember how long it took Pio and Veritas to pinpoint precisely where we were going? We wouldn't have any time for trials in this situation. We would be racing to beat Morgoth who is coming here in a very short while."

Child sighed and shook her head, "I know everyone is only trying to help,and perhaps also to cheer me up. I know we're searching blindly for any idea we overlooked before, but I don't believe this will work. I wish I felt differently, but I don't. I don't know how to thank each of you for all you've done to help us, to help me, but this isn't going to get us where we want to be."

Old 08-06-2002, 10:36 PM   #429
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio agreed with Child's analysis.

'Despite how strongly we might want it, I don't think our time here was meant for the actual rescue of the hobbit population. It is more as if we were to bring Child and the Gondolin hobbits together at this time, and that has certainly been accomplished. It seems dangerous for us to think of action beyond that point, for it might prove perilous to all our little group. And we will be needed later, if we are to finally find Kali's family and get the hobbits back to Middle-earth.'

'Then perhaps we should leave now,' said Mithadan, 'and leave Child here among the Gondolin hobbits.'

'That would be rude, and suspicious.' said Pio. 'Not to mention that despite the friendliness of Tuor and Idril, he has set guards about the house so that no one leaves save by their will.'

'Rude?' asked Rose.

'Yes, there is to be a grand dinner this evening in celebration of our arrival. Idril, herself, has planned it and the invitations have already gone out. The king will attend, I know, though I'm not sure who the other guests will be other than the immediate family here. Idril has requested the presence of all our little group at this function.'

Rose's face lit up at the prospect of dressing up in a lovely outfit and seeing the nobility of Gondolin.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:28 AM   #430
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm happy to be back, I'm bussy with reading now, but after a half an hour I'm still at the first page [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] , so I'll jump in the story by tomorrow or so. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2002, 07:03 AM   #431
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child looked at Rose and smiled. How very young she was, and how very happy! Pio was assuring her that Idril would make certain to provide them with suitable clothes for court. And she was giving the hobbit instructions on the proper way to greet an Elven king.

That afternoon, before they had begun their discussion about the shapechanger, Child had confided to Mithadan what she intended to do, if her people could not be rescued. Child felt sure this was one of the reasons Mithadan had struggled so hard to come up with an alternative plan so he could somehow fly the hobbits out of the city. She guessed that his own remark about leaving Child among the hobbits of Gondolin was simple confirmation that he had accepted Child's assessment of the situation and could see no other way to proceed.

Child had been a bit startled when she had heard Mith's words if only because Rose had still been present in the room. But she didn't think the girl had heard or understood what was said. And the moment the conversation had shifted to the upcoming evening at court, all other thoughts had flown out of Rose's head.

Child left and went back to her own room, to make sure she had gathered up all her belongings in preparation for her departure the next morning. Pio had even given Child a small packet of gems to tuck into her belt, thinking that she might need something to bribe guards for needed favors.

As Child stuffed her possessions into the belt and sack, she suddenly noticed a noise and a flutter coming from the rafters above. She looked up to see the figure of the crow, half hidden in the shadows. In a quiet voice, Bird asked what she was doing. Child assured her that she was just gathering up her things to make sure there was no mess left for the serving lady who would wait upon their chamber shortly. Bird commented that she had never known Child to be so tidy before. She tilted her head sideways and then pressed forward with another question. "So what did Mithadan mean about leaving you with the hobbits of Gondolin. That's never been discussed or suggested before."

Child sighed. She had known this moment was coming sometime, but she had not wanted it to be now. Her friend deseved a truthful answer.

Child began to explain. "This is not the decision of a single moment. It is something I have thought about for many days. Please don't tell me to reconsider, or say that I am doing something foolish. Perhaps I am. But I'll never live with myself unless I do this thing."

"Pio had guessed what I was doing even back on ship, and this afternoon, I felt it was my responsibility to say something to Mithadan since he is the leader of our group."

And then came back the one question Child had feared, "Why did you not say anything to me?"

What could she say? The truth? That, of all those on shipboard, she had known Bird the longest, and that she simply did not have the words to explain that she would be walking out of her life, perhaps forever.
Child did not know how to answer so she simply continued her explanation.

"I am the only one of our group who can actually do something for the remnent of the hobbits. No one will turn me back if I choose to share misfortune with my people. And I have the one thing the hobbits lack, the absolute certainty that there is a future, and that the future includes them. I can't reveal that in so many words, but if I manage to survive the initial attack, if I can go with them into prison or exile, my deeds and my behavior will tell them what they need to know. And if the Lonely Star can make its way back someday, that is all to the good. But, if not,I can live knowing that this was the right thing to do."

"I am sorry to have said nothing. The truth is I did not have the words to tell you. We have been friends a very long time. And I knew that lately there were things troubling you deeply, things that I still can't know or understand. It didn't seem right to dump this upon you as well."

The crow said nothing about Child's explanation, but asked once more. "Child, the ship is not supposed to return for another 70 years or so. In fact, Pio said something to me that we can not push too many holes into the fabric of time at too close intervals, or we may cause irrepairable harm. How will you survive so long?"

Child responded, "Pio has talked to me about that. She says that time runs differently in communities of Valar and Elves than it does in the lands of men. I remember back home that Bilbo and Samwise mentioned something like that to me. And it is most likly that I will be a guest of Morgoth." Child spat out the last name, and turned to resume her packing.

Bird did not argue or debate word-for-word, as the two friends had done so many other times. She sat silent and said, "But what of Rose? Have you spoken to her?"

Child replied, "She is too young. She has even less idea than I do of what she might face. Rose mustn't know or suspect. She needs to stay with you and return to the ship. Rose deserves a life in her own time ad place. Bird, please, keep an eye on her."

"And who" said Bird, "will keep an eye on you?"

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-07-2002, 07:50 AM   #432
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

After Child, Bird and Rose had left, Mithadan and Pio sat in silent thought. The room became dark and an Elven voice outside the window rose in song praising the stars. Mithadan stood, lit a candle and turned to Pio.

"We have failed, haven't we?" he asked.

"Perhaps for now," responded the Elf with a wry smile. "But we have plenty of time."

Mithadan winced, then spoke quietly. "We could attempt to rescue one load of Hobbits. We could bring them with us through the Secret Way and then Cirith Thoronath." At the mention of that name, he frowned as a memory of something he read once came to him. "No. We shouldn't risk that," he said suddenly. "And we shouldn't set Angara and Bird at odds with each other. I think that we will have another opportunity to 'persuade' Bird to take the shape of a dragon as we escape. And we shouldn't risk the lives of any Hobbits unless we depart before the assault, which I think we will not do. No, we did not plan well, but we can leave with such advantage as we may make for ourselves."

Pio looked at Mithadan curiously. The Man had clearly thought of something.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:37 AM   #433
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio pulled the man out of his reverie with her reminder.

'It is almost the hour set by Idril for the welcoming dinner. We should get dressed now and go down to it. It would not be politic for us if you sit here in the dark brooding over plans and do not attend.' She looked to see that he had heard her.

'I am going to get changed now. I'll see you there directly.' she said, as she left his room.

She threw on the dress that Idril had lent her, and gave a passing glance to her hair as she settled the silver fillet on her brow. 'One last night of brief happiness,' she said to her reflection in the mirror, 'before death walks out to welcome us.'

Gathering a length of her long skirt over one arm to give her legs some freedom, she ran down to her mother's room to see if she was ready.

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-07-2002, 09:06 AM   #434
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'You never came back to play!' were the first words that greeted her as she entered Holly's rooms. 'We waited and you never came back!' Little Pio's eyes were snapping with irritation as she stood and glared at both her mother and the elf.

'It's not just you.'said Holly. 'She's also angry over the fact that I've told her she wasn't invited to the dinner, and she needs to stay here.' She glanced at her young daughter in amused exasperation, having been through many a 'battle' with her before.

'Well, we can't have that, can we?' said the elf, kneeling down at Pio's level. 'Now, go wash your face and pull on a clean dress. Nothing much to do about that hair!' She ruffled the wayward curls. 'You shall be my guest and come to the party!' A smile broke over the young one's face and she ran to comply.

'I'd better help her, Pio.' said Holly, as the elf stood up and brushed her skirt down smooth. 'We'll see you there, soon.'

Pio walked down toward the atrium courtyard where the celebration had been set up. It was a warm, starry evening for this time of year. A few of the early night-blooming flowers had opened and sent their scent throught the air. The water from the fountain made a pleasant background music to the murmur of conversation.

Lady Idril was engaged in conversation with someone when she entered, and she motioned her over when she saw her.

'Father, this is one of the visitors I mentioned - Piosenniel.' He inclined his head to Pio, and searched her face with his sharp eyes.

'And Piosenniel, this is my father.' Remembering her manners, the elf bowed her head and said, 'Lord Turgon, my pleasure.'

The others of her companions had come into the atrium at that time and Pio excused herself for a moment to bring them over to meet the king.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:17 AM   #435
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child and Rose were laughing and fidgeting with the buttons on each other's dresses. Child said she had never owned a dress with this many buttons before. She told Rose it was a good thing that she didn't have to dress like this every day, or she'd never get out of her room until mid-day, and would certainly miss breakfast every morning.

The young Rose was so excited that she could scarcely sit down for more than thirty seconds. Child gave her a hug and ordered her to concentrate on straightening her petticoats and taming her wild curls under a ribbon.

"Now, I am giving you orders, Miss Rose," Child admonished. "You must remember everything about tonight and keep it in your head to help you through those days when things seem a bit sad. I want you to remember every precious minute--how beautful the Lady Idril looks with her silken dresses and jewels gleeming like the light of the West, how Pio's mother beams with happiness and pride, and, Rose, remember me too, how silly I am and how much I love you."

Rose chattered away, "Do you think I can bring Bird. She can sit on my arm and nod solemnly at all the guests."

Child laughed, "I don't see why not, as long as Bird wants to come and minds her manners. Knowing Bird, however, the last may be a bit beyond her!"

For Rose, there was no tomorrow, no Morgoth and no sad ending. Child was very happy for her. The two hobbits ran down to the courtyard together, coming in just in time to see Piosenniel heading in their direction to bring them before the King.

Old 08-07-2002, 09:45 AM   #436
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was just the immediate family and household who had been invited to the dinner. Idril thought it best that the number of people who knew of the companions should be kept small.

Dinner was announced, soon after all the guests had arrived, and Turgon led the way to the tables, with Lady Idril on his arm.

It was a lovely party, no long speeches to endure, just the exchange of pleasant conversation and the enjoyment of good food and wine.

Holly and little Pio sat by Piosenniel, and she heard much from the youngster of her opinions of the guests. Most were quite favorable, as the little one was of an age to be enthralled by heroes. The young girl was especially glad that Tuor had invited two of his friends to the dinner - Ecthelion and Glorfindel. They had been seated across the table from her and she flirted with them outrageously. They both smiled at her, and egged her on with compliments and amused winks.

By the time the desserts had been served, little Pio was yawning and leaning against her mother. Holly excused herself to take her daughter to bed. Pio whispered to her, 'I'll see you tomorrow. Sleep well.'

Soon the party itself wound down, and guests bade farewell to Idril and Tuor. The companions thanked each one for coming, and then said their thank-you's and goodnights to Idril and Tuor.

'Yes, we all must get plenty of rest for tomorrow.' said Idril, in return. 'It will be the festival of the Gates of Summer, and it will last all night, until we joyfully greet the dawn.'

Pio shivered at those words as she walked to her room. 'And that dawn will be a long time coming.' she thought to herself.

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-07-2002, 10:08 AM   #437
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child looked back on the events of the evening. She remembered seeing Idril lift up her silver harp and begin to play gentle notes, singing a mournful tune about the yearning of an Elf for the shores of Valinor. Her husband Tuor sat nearby listening to the lay. In his eyes, there was sorrow.

Like Rose, Child would preserve this memory in her mind, its beauty made even more poignant with the secret knowledge it would soon pass away. Pio had looked so peaceful, so comfortable sitting with her mother and the sleepy child. And she could picture Rose spinning about in the candlelight, dancing with the joy of a young maid and hobbit. Mithadan had appeared regal and resplendent in his black velvet gown, a figure in some ways similar to Maeglin, and yet so very different. She recalled too her good friend Bird, perched alone on top of a chair back. Few at the table knew her secret, seeing only a companion beast. And finally there was Angara, the absent dragon who waited outside the ridge of the city, remembering Morgoth's torture of his kin and hoping to fly at least some to safety. Child would not forget Angara, nor the magic of this night.

Her reverie was interrupted by a knock on the door. Answering it, she looked into the face of Lindo. "Lady, I ask your pardon, but I must speak with you briefly." he said.

Child was surprised at this visit, since the hobbit had seemed so aloof the last time they had met.

He softly replied, "I wanted to say I was sorry for my behavior earlier today. I did not believe your goodness, or your tale. But I was wrong. Wherever you come from, you are welcome here. Maura mentioned that you might need some assistance getting your belongings over to his house. Let me help you."

Child looked at him and smiled, "Yes, thank you. Could we meet at sunrise outside the stables? It would be helpful if we could use the ponies again, although I have few belongings."

He nodded, "I will have the ponies ready. And your daughter?" he asked.

"My daughter? she glanced gently over at Rose who was nestled down asleep under the covers. "I do not believe she will join us."

Old 08-07-2002, 11:34 AM   #438
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan chose not to join his friends and return to their chambers. Instead he set out into the city under the cover of darkness, further concealed by his black clothing. The streets were paved in grey stone bordered at the sides with grassy strips upon which grew beds of flowers and fruit trees. The loveliness of the place was numbing in light of his knowledge of the upcoming days. Each building appeared to have been constructed with the goal of being pleasing to the eye, even before the consideration of comfort. Yet he had no doubt that the interiors matched the exteriors in both beauty and utility. At almost every intersection there was a fountain. Some simple, little more than upwellings of water into basins, and others intricate with interplaying sprays and streams of water. He lamented that he had not seen them during the day. He lamented that all this beauty would soon perish. A tear slid down his cheek.

"For what reason does this child of Man weep?" asked a voice from the shadows. A black clad Elf stepped forward in the dim light; Maeglin.

Mithadan chose his words carefully. "The loveliness of this city is overwhelming, and so I am brought to tears."

Maeglin smiled, but there was no warmth in his expression. "Idril has convinced the King that you and your companions are well-intentioned and mean no harm," he said. "But as the Lord of the House of Moles, I would also seek some assurances. It is said that you have journeyed here from many years hence; from the future."

"So it is said," replied Mithadan.

"Well," continued Maeglin. "If so, what can you tell me of the fate of this city which you find so fair?"

"It is said that this city's defenses, the Echoriath and Amon Gwareth as well as its valiant knights cannot be defeated save by treachery," said Mithadan after a moment's hesitation. "It is also said that all known to be traitors to the King perished."

Maeglin stood still, as if weighing the Man's words. With unfiendly eyes, he took a step towards Mithadan. At that moment, a white gob plummeted from the sky to land on Maeglin's shoulder. The Elf spun about but saw nothing. A bird shot down out of the sky striking Maeglin's head with an outstretched claw. He stumbled then backed away towards a nearby alley looking about him wildly.

Mithadan nearly laughed, but maintained a straight face. "It appears that it is dangerous to be out and about this evening, my Lord," he said. "Perhaps we shall have words at some other time." With that, Mithadan turned and made his way quickly in the direction of the dwellings of the Hobbits.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:37 PM   #439
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

It was late that evening when Mithadan finally returned to his chambers, only to find that Bird had returned before him and reported his encounter with Maeglin to his friends. Pio, Bird, Child and Rose were all waiting for him when he walked in.

"Mithadan," cried Child. "Are you all right?"

He smiled and nodded. "I take it that Bird has informed you of my chat with Maeglin. We must take care tomorrow to never walk about alone. He may attempt to seize one of us and force some answers to his questions."

Pio scowled and asked frostily, "Why did you tell him about the fate of Gondolin's traitors?"

"It was the only way I could answer without giving him the satisfaction of knowing that Gondolin will fall," he replied. "Thank you Birdland, by the way. I'm sure the next question would have been more difficult if he didn't try to slay me outright." Bird nodded graciously.

He turned to look out the window for a moment. Then he faced his companions once again. "We have some decisions to make. I visited the Hobbit holes. I counted about 150 burrows. There may be 1000 hobbits or there may be slightly fewer. We cannot rescue them all. We must decide if we will rescue any and, if so, when. We must also decide when to make our escape. Then we must all get as much rest as we can. Tomorrow will be a long day and night."

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 08-07-2002, 02:51 PM   #440
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child went over and tugged on Mithadan's cloak. "I must speak with you. I don't know how to put this into words without hurting someone's feelings, but I'll try as best I can. My people are short of stature and enjoy the laughter of everyday life. We do not lead great armies, or journey West on magic ships to the Blessed Lands to live in the light of the Valar. But, never forget, Mithadan, we are not children."

"We have our own things we treasure--family ties, the joy of company, and the soft brown earth. You seem to be saying that we will do these things for my people without even knowing if they wish to have them done. Would you do this, even in most dire need, if the people involved were Elves rather than hobbits?"

"I do not see how we can rescue more than part of the community, but it is a serious thing to take a rural people and split them asunder. You are a Man. To you, a family tree is a dead thing on paper; to me, it is my lifeblood. If you take that tree and tear off some of the branches, this is no small thing for a hobbit. And do not forget, Mithadan, that however you pull apart those hobbits to be rescued, you will be making a cleft in that tree."

"Just whom do you wish to rescue, and for what reason? If it is for reasons of humanity only, I would say to take those least able to defend themselves, babes and their mothers. If you intend instead to use them in some later rescue scheme, then young lads would be more to your purpose. But, if the bulk of hobbits are to be led off into prison, at least leave them their leaders. Without such voices and examples, the community can not survive Morgoth's wrath.

And can we not offer them some indication of the choice before them? Or will we merely kidnap them off the streets? We can't ignore their leaders as if they don't exist. Maura Tuk is their chosen leader and, even as a rescuer, you owe him the same respect you would extend to Idril or Turgon."

"And I, as a hobbit, will not agree to help you unless I can see that respect and at least understand what you intend to do with my people after their rescue. For there are fates in this world that are far worse than death."