The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Werewolf XXXI: The Unknown Enemies

Far to the east of the known world lies a great mountain range. In these mountains, a village may be found in one of the numerous valleys. It is a small village, as villages go, and generally a peaceful place.

However, that all changed when they arrived. People, they say, who took the form of villagers by day, while transforming into savage, bloodthirsty wolves by night. Every morning, the villagers could generally count on waking up to death.

Did the villagers ever stop these vicious beasts? That remains to be seen...

Welcome to the latest in Werewolf. Not a lot of explaining to do on the part of roles, except as follows:

No entirely new roles have been invented. There may be a few variations on old ones, though.

The villagers post by Day, and vote for whomever should be lynched. Whoever has the most votes will be killed off at the end of each Day. Votes should be posted like this:

++Nilpaurion Felagund

No retractable votes or multiple lynchings in this game. If there is a tie for most votes, I'll randomly determine the single lynchee by rolling a 20-sided die.

The game ends when the number of wolves equals the numbers of the villagers and overwhelm them. If Lovers exist, they have to be the only ones remaining at the end of the game to win. In the case of a Werebear, he/she wins if the Bear and one villager are left alive at the end. If it's a Bear and the wolves, the wolves win. For a Bear and one Wolf, the outcome is random. I hope I've made that clear.

The Day/Night transition will take place at 5:00 PM Eastern time. I was about an hour and 45 minutes late here, mostly due to connection issues.

Alive:

Brinniel (Clumsy blacksmith)
Gil-Galad (Wild Bandito)
Glirdan (Gibbering local hermit who suffers from insomnia)
Legate of Amon Lanc (Uruk chieftan in retirement)
Macalaure (Ninja Wizard)
Mithalwen (Potter)
Meneltarmacil (Time traveler from the future)
Nogrod (Well-known nincompoop-miller who always thinks he's right)
Rikae (Anachronistic motion capture actor)
Roa_Aoife (Innkeeper)
the guy who be short (Baker)
The Sixth Wizard (Magician who is Lousy and Rubbish)
Thinlómien (Goat farmer)
xyzzy (Traveling Merchant)

Night 1 has started.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 04-01-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
(Note: Please activate Invisible Mode if you have not already done so.)

The villagers awoke as the day dawned.

Glirdan, gibbered to himself as he tried to go to sleep by counting Thinlomien's goats (there weren't any sheep around, so this was the best he could do).

The guy who be short tried to find out why Nogrod hadn't processed enough grain for his bakery, but wound up getting insults instead.

Xyzzy was not making a lot of progress in his attempts to sell his wares to Legate of Amon Lanc, who kept demanding disgusting things like "man flesh." To add insult to injury, Gil-Galad swiped some of the merchant's goods behind his back.
Meanwhile, Brinniel tried to make a set of bread knives for the baker, but wound up hitting her fingers with the hammer instead.

A wizards' duel had broken out in the street. The Sixth Wizard tried to shield himself against Macalaure's martial arts attacks, but only managed to turn his own wand into a chicken dinner.

Rikae was rather confused by all this, wondering where the studio was.

As Mithalwen worked on another pot, she suddenly heard a scream, as did the others. They ran to the source of the cry, and found Roa_Aoife up at Meneltarmacil's house. They shuddered when they saw it.

Underneath the stuffed head of the Tyrannosaurus rex which the Time Traveler had killed using a high-frequency laser rifle from the year 2378, in front of the fireplace, Meneltarmacil, or rather, what was left of him, lay. Several dirty paw prints could be seen around the area.

"Werewolves," Legate of Amon Lanc said. "They must have devoured him during the night."

"We'd better prepare for the worst," Macalaure added. "This village is in trouble."

Alive:
Brinniel
Gil-Galad
Glirdan
Legate of Amon Lanc
Macalaure
Mithalwen
Nogrod
Rikae
Roa_Aoife
the guy who be short
The Sixth Wizard
Thinlómien
xyzzy

Dead:
Meneltarmacil (Moderator): Devoured by wolves on Night 1

Thus begins Day 1. You may commence posting.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 04-02-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
What ho? Menel's dead?? So THAT was the sound I heard last night.....stupid insomnia keeping me up all night......

Hey, where'd those goats go? I need sleep.....Maybe I should go get a pound of knives from that crazy Brinniel person.....Or get those wizard type people to perform acrobatic feats for my amusement....yes....

Wait...What? Where am I? Did you hear all that?? Stupid gibbering inducing insomnia.....I think I said that wrong.....Let's try it again. Stupid nductin ib bering somniain.....I need sleep...... I'm gonna go count the petals on that tree if you need me.....
Old 04-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Wait - we've started already? Sorry...hang on *struggles with lycra suit* *hops on one foot* *collapses in a heap*.

There are thirteen of us; one is a CGI character who does everything I do. All I have to do is find out who it is, and I'll have a known innocent...

*runs around on all fours, barking like a dog*

ooops, maybe not the best choice...

*imitates a cat coughing up a hairball*

...nothing...

oh well, it was worth a try.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
oy... this no good at all man...

this bad time, panic is a big no-no

Quero Menel...
Old 04-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*sigh* I was afraid of this. If I ever mod a game of werewolf, there will be no occupations, etc.

We have 13 people, so I highly doubt that Menel put more than 3 wolves into the mix. On the other hand, that doesn't exclude a wearbear or a cobbler. Personally, the issue means nothing to me, as we'll know soon enough if there is a werebear (by the number of kills ToNight) and a cobbler, while dangerous, is not a pressing matter until later in the game. Lovers can be as much of a danger to the wolves as us, so that can be left until later as well.

We don't know if we have a seer, hunter, or ranger, or what rules have been applied to them if they are in the game (do they know each other, can they communicate with each other, etc.) We must be extremely wary of people who come out as gifteds at any point in the game, because without knowing what we have, it would be easy for a wolf to use that as a cover. So, even if a gifted proclamation goes uncontested, it's posible that the role isn't even in the game. Gifteds, if there are any, will need proof greater than a lack of contest if they plan on revealing. Fortunately, this could be an even greater risk for the wolves, seeing as they don't know if they will be contested or not.

We could also have a mythomaniac, cursed, or birthday dreamer. The mythomaniac and the birthday dreamer could be good as easily as they could be evil, so we should let that issue be. We don't know if we have a ranger though, so if we go a night with out a kill, we cannot assume that a person was protected.

So, with that out of the way, we can stop worrying about roles which might not even be here, and just focus on catching wolves. We have no way of knowing what's out there until we lynch them or the wolves (and whatever else) kill them. (And if I've left out a role, I apologize, but I've probably never encountered it before.)

Quote:
A wizards' duel had broken out in the street.
I didn't know Gurthang was in this game.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 04-02-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote