The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2004, 06:34 AM   #1
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Frodo's sword on Weathertop

If this topic has been discussed forgive me, but the search facility was slow tonight. I have been re-reading FOTR and have wondered what was going on with Frodo's sword, pre-Sting, I mean. During the fight against the Nazghul, he tries to stab the Witch-king and gets only his cloak, but I think his sword is broken at that point. Perhaps it was the Barrow-blade or perhaps not, but it broke, right? Yet only a few pages later, at the Ford of Bruinen, he is waving a sword defiantly at the Ring-Wraiths. What sword was this? Perhaps someone can tell me. Did he pack one he'd brought from home and then, sick or not, get it out again when the Barrow blade broke? Presumably he broke this one too, if so, because Bilbo gives him Sting to replace a broken sword Bilbo hadn't got around to having the Elves fix. Have I missed something between Weathertop and the ford?
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:17 AM   #2
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Frodo's Sword did not break when he stabbed at the Witch-king, because he only hit the cloak. Picking up the Nazgul's cloak, Strider says:
Quote:
"This was the stroke of Frodo's Sword." "The only hurt that it did to his enemy, I fear; for it is unharmed, but all blades perish that pierce that dreadful King."
So it was still this sword from the barrow that Frodo had at the crossing or the ford, but there it broke, when he lifted it in defiance against the Nazgūls across the river.
(btw: wouldn't it have taken less time to look this up yourself in the book than to type this question? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] No reproach intended though [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:28 AM February 07, 2004: Message edited by: Guinevere ]