The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #3081
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Legate Barrow-walker and Darth Volo?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #3082
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Star Wars rule! And I just watched all of them.

EDIT: I'm not going to do those crosswords. I never have. I was just curious what the answers were and though it was last Monday.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #3083
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
AGANZIR

has come in third and won the first quarter of the remaining pizza. (About time!)
She also gets bonus points for being the first to guess the mysterious 13 across, and for the creative audacity of suggesting MORSHUL as the answer to 19 down. (Explain that yourself, if you dare.)
Obviously because his P&A self looks like a mountain of poultry manure.

I still consider myself the winner though, even if not in name.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #3084
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Since no more complete correct solutions to the crossword puzzle have been offered,

GALADRIEL55

wins a pizza wedge for the most nearly correct solution, having got all but two words right; also bonus points for creative thinking in her post #3069.

And now
for all of you who are still in the dark
TEH SOLUTION!

*drumroll*

If you didn't win any part of the cement pizza and are curious what you've missed, the whole thing in all its hideous glory can be viewed here.

Thank you for playing, everybody! I hope this was as much fun for you as it was for me.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #3085
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Legate Barrow-walker and Darth Volo?
How comes I knew that this will find its way to 'The Downer. No surprise. All too easy. I have foreseen it.

Quote:
Thank you for playing, everybody! I hope this was as much fun for you as it was for me.
Oh it certainly was, Mr. McBrain!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 11-29-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #3086
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

13 Across makes all the sense in the world now!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #3087
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"Dawn" was my original answer to 7..... And then I decided that it makes no sense whatsoever, because barrows are active at night, so I wrote "dark". Bugger.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #3088
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
May you walk in the dark no longer, G55. Behold!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #3089
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
May you walk in the dark no longer, G55. Behold!
I feel very unclever. I saw this thread before. :/

Question. What do wheels have to do with palantirs? I get that it's a Seeing Stone, but why wheels?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #3090
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Question. What do wheels have to do with palantirs? I get that it's a Seeing Stone, but why wheels?
Palantír of Fortune...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #3091
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Sorry it's a tad late. Not feeling well.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Phalian.

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though the...

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to hunt down some P&A voice artists!!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #3092
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #3093
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

You're odd....oh wait, you are. -_-
Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #3094
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Oddwen: Ouch.
BG: Ouch!!!
P&A: On an occasion where a flamethrower would come in really handy, trust Alien to come up with something like this. Love it.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #3095
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Pass 'em the possum!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #3096
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
I think I need to find some way to automatically rep Oddwen when she makes a post.

A tax on taxies is better than a tax on taxes, don't you think? That would be most taxing.

Last edited by Bom Tombadillo; 12-05-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Punctualityation.
Bom Tombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #3097
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oddkins, have I ever told you that I adore you? (And you too, Hookbilly.)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #3098
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though the...

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

We may not get the full animation done by Christmas - sorry everyone - but we'll get a trailer out! Just you voice actors get your voices to me sharpish!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #3099
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Those two useless hobbits have a use?!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #3100
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Those two useless hobbits have a use?!
Incidentally, I saw the Phantom & Alien strip first and thought you were referring to Lal & davem.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #3101
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Incidentally, I saw the Phantom & Alien strip first and thought you were referring to Lal & davem.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #3102
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

I wonder when Death is going to notice his watch is missing...
Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #3103
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

Work on the P&A animation is fully on the way now that we have all the voices! We'll be releasing a trailer on Christmas day for you to feast your eyes on! Hopefully the full episode will be done some time in January. Then we'll see if we feel like doing a full series or something.
What fun!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #3104
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

A festive special picture for you P&A fans...

Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #3105
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Poor Father Formy...
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #3106
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I'm starting to believe Hammond the Skull has a thing for facial hair, seeing how often it has appeared in the last issues.

The festive picture is awesome, except I'm creeped out by the bare toes.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #3107
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Grab onto your faces, people, it's time to get all excited and hot under the collar.
If you thought The Hobbit Trailer was good, wait until you see the very cool, very exclusive, very cheap and very rushed...

It will have all your favourite characters and your least favourite ones, too!
Work on the actual episode is going well and it should be finished some time in the New Year. So... Look forward to it, peoples!!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #3108
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
If you thought The Hobbit Trailer was good...
Someone really thought it was good?

/Nevermind.

This one's better anyways. I can't wait for the actual thing!
Old 12-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #3109
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

This made my Christmas evening! The music is smashing, Peter looks great (the drawing style is a little different, but works well with animation I think), and there were lots of lovely moments packed tight in these 1:07 - Alien's name being corrected, Lommy blazing away with her gun, John Fillis morphing (!!!), Father Formy drenched in soap and his apprehensive look toward the end... Great work, keep it going!

Btw the festive special pic is gorgeous too, and bonus points for posting it on the winter solstice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
The festive picture is awesome, except I'm creeped out by the bare toes.
Indeed, I think all that picture misses is a little sign pointing at Morsul's foot and saying NUDITY!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #3110
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
White Tree Just In Time For Christmas!

KALIMAC CHRISTMAS, AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Shire Correspondent Burpy Upheaver

Of late, Yule time is not always a happy time in the four farthings of The Shire. Traditional Hobbit traditions dictate that the tiny hobbit children stay up all night with clubs to keep the legendary figure known as Sando Clausefoot from eating their Yule Breakfast. Most hobbit children fall asleep early on, while parents leave nibble marks in all of the puddings to teach their children some sort of lesson in home security. All this has changed with the arrival of a Big Person calling himself "Sharkey Clause". He is said to send his elves out in wagons to cut down trees and collect toys from all the good boys and girls.

We tried to get a statement from one of his elves, but were spat on and told to stop asking questions as it was on the List as "not allowed". This was ridiculous, as we had checked the List beforehand to make sure. Upon a second checking, the rule was indeed there, sloppily written in pencil. We then tried to get a statement from Sharkey Clause himself, but were chased away while the old man screamed out "Yule Pay!" at our fleeing forms.

"I just can't understand it," says local character Gaffer Gamgee. "Maybe his weskit is two sizes too small."

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #3111
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

The Downer would like to assure its readers that we have a very good explanation for the past two weeks hiatus. So here are the reasons our staff haven't been putting out new content;
We got freaked out by last year's solar eclipse, and barricaded ourselves in an underground bunker, where to this day we await the end of the world.
Either that, or we're trapped beneath a pile of unsold P&A t-shirts.
But then we discovered that the Downer was just a figment of our imagination - an imagination long since shredded by our chronic twin addictions to strong alcohol and horse painkillers.
We'd written the instructions on how to update the site on a marzipan wafer, which was erroneously swallowed by a clown.
Then the rozzers discovered our illegal whale ovary removing factory, and dragged us off to the cells.

So, without further delay, here is the newest issue of the Downer. With a brand new look to hide the fact that we have no new content.

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

The Downer will be back next week. We promise. And also, Hookbill promises that he will no longer imagine that The Downer has any staff.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 01-08-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #3112
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Oh dear God...the alien is such an idiot...
Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #3113
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I have been taken to hospital? Cool.

Bugger Denethor.

Yay for the new looks! And news don't actually have to be new... just old enough not to be remembered anymore!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #3114
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To whom it may consume:

I have been told that your tabloid has a "new look". Well, I actually haven't been told of this "new look", but I did manage to read the previous post that indicated this was the case. But I am not writing to complain about this alleged "new look"; on the contrary, I have an issue with the "old look".

Since I cannot even recall what the "old look" looked like with any specificity, how then do I know that this "new look" isn't just the "old look", or merely a look that was, in fact, around previous to the supposed "old look" -- a "recycled older look", if you will?

Speaking metaphysically, what is a "look" anyway? Since appearances can be deceiving, and since your paper has never had any depth in the first place, I do not see the point of renaming a skimpy veneer covering an empty shell. Replacing a blank facade does not alter empty air.

In conclusion, I strongly suggest you eliminate the "new look" as well as the "old look", and opt for a "don't look now". That way, I will not have to concern myself with changes I know nothing about regarding a tabloid I never read. I do not like to think of things that I do not think about!

Thank you in advance for doing nothing previously,
Mrs. Blithe Spacey
Heedless, Muddlesworth, Bewildershire
Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #3115
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

It's nice to see that The Downer is still with us. Nice new layout, it seems thatHookbill has found some exciting new fonts to play with.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #3116
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Thanks to a very ODD mysterious contributor for the second story this week. It's very odd indeed.

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

Alien is always at his best when he is destroying things, isn't he?
Anyway, we should be seeing some progress on the P&A animation in the next few weeks. The whole Christmas and New Year thing got in the way and my brother has only just gone back to collage, but work will continue, and no mistake!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #3117
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Are we going to get Dinosaur's Quality Dinosaur now?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #3118
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I forgot to thank Oddwen for her stories last week and this week.
They've been in the back catalogue for a while, but they're still as relevant as ever! EVER! ... ... EVER!!

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

I'm seriously going to update the P&A website at some point this week... I hope. It's just such a pain in the backside to upload over 400 images all at once, you know? I'll get to it soon, so don't worry.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 01-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #3119
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Bad, bad Shasta! Should have let those entings burn.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #3120
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Bad, bad Shasta! Should have let those entings burn.
I can't help myself.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote