The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2002, 02:43 PM   #1
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Sauron lives?

Since Sauron (or Melkor) weren't killed just expelled and Sauron still roamed as a weak spirit in Middle Earth, incapable of rebuilding a body, what's to say that some weak minded person who looked in the palantir to see him couldn't become possessed by him, and act as a gateway back into the world for him. Just a thought but it seems to be a loose end in Sauron's death.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 02:51 PM   #2
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

I wouldn't like to think about it, but it's true, there isn't a complete end of Sauron is there?

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 09:19 PM   #3
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron never died; he was just diminished.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 12:59 AM   #4
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say he was greatly diminished. I don't think anyone using a Palantri had much to fear because he would have been to weak to notice he was being scrutinized. And though not killed, I believe the intent was that Sauron was no longer any sort of threat once the Ring was destroyed.

Now a weak willed person using a Palantri to look back upon Sauron when he had power, opens up a whole new world of possibility.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 05:28 AM   #5
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm, interesting thought….

Melkor was enchained and thrown into the void, if I’m not mistaken, during the War of the Wrath, at the end of the First Age. His fortress, Angband was utterly destroyed by the Valar. This was all done after his release during that period of captivity (the Chaining of Melkor). The Valar probably were fed up w/ his evil ways, and decided to "kick-***", eherm, I mean do something more drastic! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Sauron “poured” much of his power into the creation of the One Ring. When the Ring was unmade, his powers were then (probably) unmade too. As mentioned by dragongirlG and Tarthang he was diminished!

A weak-minded person that might/could be influenced by Sauron through the palantir? Nah…. if the One Ring wasn’t unmade maybe.

But this reminds me of another story by another author influenced by Tolkien though!
Thalionyulma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 05:23 PM   #6
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

The powers of Arda seem uncapable (or unwilling) to do away once and for all with the carriers of ultimate evil. So Melkor is cast into the void and Sauron is (I presume) left wondering in the world as weakened as could possibly be.

And as for someone falling under Sauron's evil spell through palantiri, that was not possible because the last palantir was taken to the West by Cirdan. (There is a thread about Palantiri somewhere)

Thalionyulma, and what story do you mean? Is it "The Ring of Darkness"? Or what, I'm just curious?

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: akhtene ]
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 05:36 PM   #7
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The powers of Arda are indeed incapable of destroying the source of evil. Only Iluvatar is capable of destroying a fea, (spirit) and so Sauron and Melkor are still left alive, though greatly diminished. In the "of the enemies" portion of the Silmarillion it states that Sauron eventually followed his master down the same ruinous path into the void. I believe that this indicates that Sauron was either cast out into the void by the Valar or somehow found a way out into the void himself to join his master. When the Ring is destroyed a wind comes out from the north and blows the vast shadow of Sauron away. This wind is quite obviously sent by the Valar.

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 05:45 PM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It might be possible that the Palantiri could be used for future evil. It's said that two "seeing stones" remained in M-E in the Fourth Age. The Anor Stone, which was damaged by the suicide of Denethor, so it would only show his withered burning hands, and the Orthanc Stone, which was held by King Elessar (Strider).

But what about the stone that was in Barad-Dur? (Ithil Stone) History claims it was destroyed when Sauron's tower fell, but the Palantiri were made of very tough stuff, so there is speculation that it still survived.

As for Sauron surviving in some form, if he wasn't utterly destroyed and dispersed, then yes, he could rise again. It would probably take 1000s of years for this to happen, so he's probably due back - oh - right about...NOW!!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

News Flash: "A mysterious, crystaline orb, dating back thousands of years, and of an unknown origin, was stolen from it's glass case at the Smithsonian today..."
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 09:17 AM   #9
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

I've always thought the ending of Sauron was the weak part of the story. Surely he was severely weakened at the end of the war of Sauron and Elves but he managed to survive.
Even though the ring has now gone he would surely be able to fly around in wraith form and command power over orcs, etc.

I hear a sequel!!!
(Of course no one but the great tolkien himself could write one. hey, we're at the barrow downs, get one of the wraith moderators to resurect him!!)
Old 06-10-2002, 04:16 PM   #10
Leto
Pile O'Bones

Leto has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sauron can't come back. Despite the fact that the Silmariallin mentions that he suffers the same fate as Morgoth, imprisoned in the void until the end of days...he poured most of his power and being into the One Ring. The only reason he remained so powerful after his initial defeat at the last alliance was because the ring still existed and held all his power. Now the ring, which is effectively his 'form', is gone. His spirit has no more influence, and was blown away by the symbolic north wind, the power and will of Manwe. The only evil that exists is the evil that men carry with them, in their hearts. So there may always be another 'dark lord'. But none as powerful as Sauron...since he was the last of the order of the Maiar to refuse to return to Aman, after the end of the first age. During the fourth age, all the elves eventually leave the circles of the world as well...for it is the time of men...of mortals...as is the will of Eru.
Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 04:47 PM   #11
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Sauron can't come back. Despite the fact that the Silmariallin mentions that he suffers the same fate as Morgoth, imprisoned in the void until the end of days.
Sauron was not cast into the void in the Silmarillion:
Quote:
Then Sauron failed, and he was utterly vanquished (conquered, defeated) and passed away like a shadow of malice.
He lost the ability to take form again, or rise in power after the ring was destroyed, but he was not cast into the void.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 07:06 PM   #12
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Heheheh, I can see it now. Some spirit of evil talking to Morgoth in the void about Elendil, "Elendil, oh he got his, Sauron killed him. Sauron get out here." Sauron crawls over on all four, "yes master." Melkor kicks him in the face. "You probably ate him too."

But seriously, what if someone had the intent of becoming the carrier for Sauron's will. There are some psychos in ME, such as Bombadil. Hey Aragorn let me see it-oh, eh. Hey Aragorn, let me see a sword...
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote