The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2004, 09:45 AM   #1
turgon
Haunting Spirit

turgon has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril the pride of feanor

HEy! awesome sight. I'm new to the sight. but a lifelong resident of middle-earth.
Heres a question. Had Feanor relented and broke the silmarils For the healing of the trees.Would this have doomed the coming of man? My thinking Is this would have stalled the Noldorins urge to chase Melkor, therefore man would be left without the help of the high elves. The dark one in my opinion would have twisted all of humanity to the very last before the valar would give thought.
turgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

That's an interesting thought turgon (welcome to the Downs by the way ). I get the feeling that mankind may have fallen further and faster, but didn't they need the aid of the Valar in the end regardless? As for Feanor, I think there was not too much of a risk of him ever breaking his lovely jewels.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 10-16-2004 at 11:53 AM. Reason: To add to the illusion of my intelligence.
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
turgon
Haunting Spirit

Thanks for the welcome Eomer

I still am always struck on how pivotal the sons of finwe are to the unfolding of the song of the ainur and the shaping of arda. While it's true The aid of the valar was a necessary event. I was just pondering that if the silmaril was given for the healing of the trees and feanoro's great spirit was quenched. It follows the sun and moon would not have been created as quickly. and I believe the valar would have turned towards healing the damage the passage of melkor and ungoliant caused. Not the least of which being the rifts amongst the elves. This I think would pave the way for Melkor to have enthralled all the lands without. and men would never gaze upon, or have the wisdom," of those who were from the undying land and had seen the light of the trees." effectively splitting arda and the final battle for the shaping and mastery of arda would have come much quicker. bringing an end to the song with all of man on the side of Morgoth.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

So you think the fight against Melkor would have been much shorter and far less glorious or tragic? I can see that. An interesting point you raise is what would have become of Feanor if the jewels had been broken. Would he have been less fiery, less purposeful in that event?
Old 10-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
Carnimírië
Wight

Carnimírië has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril <------ the jewel of Fëanor

Quote:
An interesting point you raise is what would have become of Feanor if the jewels had been broken. Would he have been less fiery, less purposeful in that event?
Well Fëanor said that if the silmarils were broken he would die, first of all the Eldar in Aman. That would be a great loss because Fëanor is my favorite Elf. But maybe he was speaking in hyperbole. Maybe he would't necessarily die if the silmarils were broken. What do you all think?
Carnimírië is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:37 PM   #6
turgon
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril Wellmeant

"not the First" so said mandos. Personally I think it was hyperbole. He would have been chastened in spirit. and perhaps forged to a higher sheen. But my original thought was that the ages beyond the third would never have taken place. The music of the ainur would have been cut short on a foul note had feanor been complacent. and would have served melkor ultimately buy complying to the valar. this would have Allowed morgoth the time to subjugate the world to his will while the valar tarry beyond the boundaries of the mortal world. Melian and Thingol would be overwhelmed thus no beren and luthien no Tuor and no Aragorn.
Fingolfin perhaps would have been emboldend but he would not circumvent the will of manwe as he percieved it. emphasis on percieve. (fingolfin my fav).
Please forgive misspelling
Old 10-17-2004, 03:05 AM   #7
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnimírië
Well Fëanor said that if the silmarils were broken he would die, first of all the Eldar in Aman. That would be a great loss because Fëanor is my favorite Elf. But maybe he was speaking in hyperbole. Maybe he would't necessarily die if the silmarils were broken. What do you all think?
I think so... and I think that he would've given up the sils if his daddy wasn't killed by Morgy, by the way.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote