The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #121
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I will take the ring, though I do not know... oops, I mean, I will join the crusade to save the title character of one of my favorite works, Smith of Wootton Major. Down with long-necked mutations!

++The Girabbit
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #122
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Huh?
Which Minor Works Protagonist Are You?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #123
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay. Now I get it. Easy test to get the result you want, by the by.....
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #124
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
To arms!

++Girabbit

Wierd rabbit/giraffe thing...
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #125
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks, Estelyn & Alcarillo!
Old 04-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #126
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

What's a Girabbit got to do with a pocket edition story anyhow?

++Girabbit
Old 04-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #127
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smi...I mean, Elempi
TO ME!! TO ME!! ALL YOU GOOD SOULS WHO WOULD SPARE THE LIFE OF THE GOOD SMITH!!!! LET US OUST THE OUSTER OF OUR GOOD SMITH!!! TO ME!! TO ME!!
I feel somewhat unqualified to participate in this edition since I'm only familiar with the Bombadil characters. But, um, well, it seems that I have a common interest with Elempi since Diamond's test says that I'm a Smith.

++GIRABBIT
Giraffe-rabbits are disturbing.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:46 PM   #128
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
When you start mixing two different animals you eventually make human-like animals. I already said the result of that in the Mordor thread, and it, well, ........

..........let's just say it isn't pretty.

++Girabbit.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #129
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril End of Day the Thirteenth

The Mr Bliss tribe suffered another blow on the thirteenth day, as the troops rallied around Smith of Wooton Major and deflected an attack onto the strange rabbit/giraffe hybrid....

Girabbit: 6 votes

Smith of Wooton Major: 2 votes

And so, the Girabbit was sold to a freak show for sixpence and nobody missed him.

Day the Fourteenth finds 34 contestants remaining:

Farmer Giles of Ham

Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo (Farmer Giles of Ham)
Gram, his dog
The Giant from the Wild Hills
King Augustus Bonifacious
Chrysophylax Dives
The Miller
The Parson
Sunny Sam (Fabricius Cunctator) The Blacksmith

Smith of Wooton Major/Leaf By Niggle

Master Cook Rider
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Smith of Wooton Major
Nell
Queen of Faerie
Niggle

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (Poems)

Goldberry
Badger
Old Man Willow
The Barrow-wight
Goodman Maggott
Princess Mee
Fíriel
Troll

Roverandom

Roverandom
The Wizard Artaxerxes
Mew, the Seagull
Moon-dog
Mer-dog
Uin, the Whale

Mr. Bliss

Mr. Day
Archie
Teddy
Bruno
Herbert Dorkins
Egbert Dorkins
Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #130
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It's time we get rid of one of the Ham-sters - they haven't lost a team member yet and are probably feeling too sure of themselves by now. Let's see, the Giant doesn't have an important function in most of the story, and keeping him fed is hard on the countryside. Therefore I vote

++The Giant from the Wild Hills
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 04-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #131
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Fie, fie! Not content with fumigating the Mewlips, Esty, you now persecute the Giant. Next you'll be bullying Chrysophylax.

The goody-goodies have had their fun. Now I'm going to start being positively sadistic.

++NELL

As was applied to a different literary context, "It would take a man with a heart of stone, upon reading the death of Little Nell, to resist shedding tears...of laughter."
Old 04-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #132
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

But the Smith team is already decimated, and it wasn't as large as others to start with. Shouldn't you pick on someone your own size, Ang?! Shame on you, bullying helpless females around - and a young mother, no less!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #133
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

In return for the favor from yesterday, I join Estelyn today.

++ Giant from the Wild Hills

He's a stupid oaf anyway that can't be harmed with a mere blunderbuss! Away with him!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #134
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I sense Phantomesque machinations! I will not lower myself to them.

But look at it this way and you'll see who's persecuting who.

Nell is a human woman.

The Giant is, naturally, a Giant.

There are no Giants around today.

But there are three billion women.

Slay these specieist murderesses before they get the chance to procreate! Down with Nell!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #135
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
+ + Herbert Dorkins

Putting him out of his misery. He obviously
had sadistic parents, saddling him with a
name like Herbert Dork...ah, Dorkins.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #136
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I see that, not content with voting of the - er - portly contestants, people are now victimising any of the contestants who don't quite fit in, in the form of the Mewlips, the Girabbit and, now, unforgiveably, the friendly neighbourhood Giant.

This cannot be tolerated. I call upon all those who have ever felt misunderstood or mistreated by society's "norms", those who have been labelled misfits or troublemakers or wierd or geeky by those who simply don't understand them, to resist this senseless victimisation of the underdogs.

(Yes, it's the " proud geeks unite" defence again. )

My own preference is to vote again for ...

+ + SMITH OF WOOTON MAJOR

... who spent far too much time off on a frivolous frolic, when he should have been tending to the "real life" concerns of his job and his family.

But I will change my vote to protect, if I can, the poor, misunderstood Giant, who was only taking a refreshing stroll when he was rudely interrupted by an overly aggressive farmer with a dangerous (and most likely unlicenced) blunderbuss.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #137
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Although this forum has generally seen or discussed this horrid beast very little, I can assure you that his presence is felt elsewhere, and even on the 'Downs his shadow occasionally looms...

++ Troll

Offtopic and spiteful. Enough said.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #138
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
++ Troll

Indeed.

++Troll
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #139
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
I sense Phantomesque machinations! I will not lower myself to them.
If you're referring to my appearance, Ang, I assure you, LMP is blameless of such accusations. While we may share a past association with the famed League of Extraordinary Barrow-Downers, our current alliance is purely coincidental. And not related to any PMs of any kind.

I will, however, be lurking in the shadows to come to the defense of my fellow Faerie-visiting dreamer(s), should my aid be needed.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #140
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

Ai! I have to vote for a Troll to save a Giant? But that's no choice.

C'mon folks, given me some options here.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #141
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Come on now Saucie, it’s a win-win. Troll is blindingly slow, a major liability in the challenges. He also got out-thought by a rock more than once – another strike against him in challenges that happen to not require quickness. Now sure, he’s got the strength for the strength-related challenges (which are few) but Old Man Willow is a decent substitute there.

He’s stupid and ugly, kinda like the Giant only less loveable.

Besides, here’s our chance to make a statement to these Downer Trolls that Form spoke of – we can put our foot down and show them that Trolling isn’t tolerated, not even for those that have a ‘sufficient excuse.’
Old 04-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #142
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
Ai! I have to vote for a Troll to save a Giant? But that's no choice.

C'mon folks, given me some options here.
Would you consider a Badger?
Quote:
Then all the Badger-folk said: 'We beg your pardon!'
Horribly anti-climactic.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #143
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORE
He’s stupid and ugly, kinda like the Giant only less loveable.
So now we're picking on those who are aesthetically and intellectually challenegd are we? The Troll we are faced with here exemplifies the misunderstood of whom I spoke earlier. He was lonely, an outcast from society, simply because he was a Troll, albeit a kindly and culinary gifted one (what is it with Tolkien and Troll chefs?).

'I steal no gold, I drink no beer,
I eat no kind of meat;
but People slam their doors in fear,
whenever they hear my feet.
O how I wish that they were neat,
and my hands were not so rough!
Yet my heart is soft, my smile is sweet,
and my cooking good enough.'

When he sets out to find a friend, he is harshly rejected by all, save for the kindly Perry-the-Winkle (who was, incidentally, cold-heartedly voted off earlier). Perry saw past the Trollish exterior to the kind heart within and took him home for tea.

No. Having revisited the poem, I cannot find it within myself to vote off the poor Troll. This is no cyberspace nuisance, but simply a gentle, kindly but misunderstood soul.

I would repeat my entreaty. Stop voting for all the misunderstood misfits and target those, such as Smith and Niggle, who are (in Tolkien's terms) the jocks of the island.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #144
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

But what about these “jocks” you speak of, SpM?

Sure, sometimes you run across the stereotypical jock – arrogant, aloof, and abysmal. But often ones are termed “jocks” out of a feeling of inferiority or even envy. Targeting the Island Jocks for being jocks (the non-arrogant ones) is no better than Targeting the Island Misunderstooders for being misunderstood...er ().

And as for considering the feelings of the contestants - I feel their pain (yes, even Troll's now that you put it the way you do), but they signed up for the competition. Those who don't want to be laughed at shouldn't sign up to be clowns, you shouldn't audition for American Idol if you can’t bear the scathing criticism of Simon (or Sleepy ) Cowell. You don’t sign up for Survivor without the understanding that it’s survival of the fittest.

Troll is the kind of guy that is often eliminated in Survivor – a nice guy, but in the end he just doesn’t have what it takes.

Of course we all feel sorry for him, but that there’s not much you can do about it...
Old 04-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #145
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORE
But often ones are termed “jocks” out of a feeling of inferiority or even envy.
Nah. I'm talking about the ones who everybody loves, and don't they just know it. I have always disliked those types of contestant on shows like this. I tend to support the underdogs (but surely you know that by now).

But since I cannot, as matters stand, save the Giant without condemning the Troll, and vice versa, I shall reluctantly stand back and allow both to be removed from the firing line. Perhaps they shall be happier without all those viewers to taunt them for their imperfections. I cannot, in all conscience, vote for either.

I guess people just don't like the misfits.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #146
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Although this forum has generally seen or discussed this horrid beast very little, I can assure you that his presence is felt elsewhere, and even on the 'Downs his shadow occasionally looms...

++ Troll

++Troll.

My job is being stolen by the dang guy.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
Old 04-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #147
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

++The Giant from the Wild Hills

For stomping noisily all over the island, eating half of what his tribe catches, and complaining about not being able to fit in the shelter.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #148
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril End of Day the Fourteenth

Despite impassioned pleas for the "misunderstood", the fourteenth day marked the departure of not one but two oafish fellows:

Troll: 3 votes

The Giant from the Wild Hills: 3 votes

Smith of Wooton Major: 1 vote

His wife, Nell: 1 vote

Herbert Dorkins: 1 vote

And so, as Troll sat alone on his seat of stone, munching and mumbling on a bare old bone, the Giant squished him to an indiscernible patty whilst walking by. The Giant then slipped because of the gooey slick of Troll-flesh on his foot, and tumbled off a cliff into the ocean.

Day the Fifteenth finds 32 contestants remaining:

Farmer Giles of Ham

Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo (Farmer Giles of Ham)
Gram, his dog
King Augustus Bonifacious
Chrysophylax Dives
The Miller
The Parson
Sunny Sam (Fabricius Cunctator) The Blacksmith

Smith of Wooton Major/Leaf By Niggle

Master Cook Rider
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Smith of Wooton Major
Nell
Queen of Faerie
Niggle

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (Poems)

Goldberry
Badger
Old Man Willow
The Barrow-wight
Goodman Maggott
Princess Mee
Fíriel

Roverandom

Roverandom
The Wizard Artaxerxes
Mew, the Seagull
Moon-dog
Mer-dog
Uin, the Whale

Mr. Bliss

Mr. Day
Archie
Teddy
Bruno
Herbert Dorkins
Egbert Dorkins
Old 04-25-2006, 02:06 AM   #149
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, since you want to get rid of some of the arrogant characters, let's go for

++Princess Mee

Honestly, do we need someone who's always looking at her own reflection, Narcissus-style, and talking to herself because she thinks that's the only person worth talking to? Besides, she's obsessed with what she's wearing - and isn't it unpractical for survival training?! Let's put her on the fan fiction forum, where she belongs, and let the Mary Sue hunters get her.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:00 AM   #150
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
+ + Princess Mee

With her it's always me, me, me!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #151
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Well, since you want to get rid of some of the arrogant characters ...
You expect me to follow your lead, killer of Mewlips, Girabbits and Giants? Well, think again.

For me, it's going to be ...

+ + SMITH OF WOOTTON MAJOR

... every day until the good-for-nothing idler goes and the poor, misunderstood misfits are avenged!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:55 AM   #152
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Well, I'm disappointed in the sentimentality of you all in shielding the evil Nell.

But I shall side for the present with Saucie.

++SMITH OF WOOTON MAJOR
Old 04-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #153
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Well now, all of this siding sounds rather like the Battle of the Big Endians and the Little Endians in Gulliver. Who is the least empowered and so therefore not deserving of rejection?

I suggest we look elsewhere, at those who are the most empowered, and there of course we will find those most undeservingly empowered and thus most in need of a healthy dose of rejection. Save the miscreants and the misfits and the misty-eyed!

Anyone up for a little regicide?

++ KING AUGUSTUS BONIFACIOUS
Old 04-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #154
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

++PRINCESS MEE
Let me put it this way. Princess Mee doesn't mean that her name is Mee. This is a typo. Her name is Princess Me, as in it's all about me. Arrogant and self-absorbed.

Away with her!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #155
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Such a dilemma...

I clearly can't vote Princess Mee, because that's the main bandwaggon thus far, and I don't like to bandwaggon unless it's my idea. On the other hand, I do like to actually vote for a candidate who's going to win. ("Strategic voting"). So what to do? I rather like Smith, and I don't ALWAYS want to side with Saucey....

++ KING AUGUSTUS BONIFACIOUS

If I need a reason... erm... yeah... he's a git. Really.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #156
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

++ Princess Mee

Anguirel and SPM, you have made yourselves my sworn enemies by voting for my symbolic extrication from this game. Have at thee!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #157
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

The royalty on the island are too used to being pampered to do anything useful for their tribes. So, hoping to achieve a double-eviction (mwahaha), I vote for

++King Augustus Bonifacious
Old 04-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #158
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

++Princess Mee.

It's a miracle such a stuck-up pampered person made it this far.

-A History of Villains
Old 04-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #159
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Just in case anyone's interested in dealing, I'd be happy to vote for King Augustus Bonifacious tomorrow if you'll vote for Princess Mee today, if needed in order to keep the rascals outnumbered, thus helping for two more days to help keep my alter-ego alive..... Of course, currently there are only two bend-minded, malice-hearted cretins trying to symbolically remove me from play.....
Old 04-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #160
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Hmmm. . . as long as we get rid of Augustus tomorrow

- - King Augustus Bonifacious

and

++Princess Mee

The spoiled little brat!