The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien facts

I was reading in my reading homework book and this was one of the thing:

Quote:
John Ronald Reuel (J.R.R) Tolkien was born in South Africa on January 3, 1892, to British parents. After the death of his father in 1896, his mother moved Tolkien and his younger brother Hilary to England. They settled in Birmingham, not far from Wales. As Tolkien was learning to read,he was intrigued by how different the Welsh names were that he saw on coal trucks coming and going to Wales-names like "Penriwceiber", "Sengenydd", and "Nantyglo". Young Tolkien was falling in love with language.

When Tolkien was 12 years old, his mother died of diabetes. The local parish priest looked after the two brothers. He recognized their intelligence and made sure that they received the best education possible. In particular, Tolkien had a special aptitude for language. He learned Latin, Greek, Gothic, and Finish. He invented his own language for fun. He also started writing stories.

He met other boys who were interested in literature and writing. They met together after school for snacks and to share their writing. They called their club the Tea Club, Barrovian Society, or T.C.B.S., since they always met for tea (a traditional English afternoon snack) at the Barrow Stores. (*)

The close friendship continued as the boys became men. When World War I began, each of them enlisted in the army. Tolkien was a second lieutenant and went to the front lines in the trenches. After four months, Tolkien became very ill with an infection called trench fever. He was transferred back to England, where he spent the rest of the war. War had been portrayed as noble, but Tolkien found the reality of war to be ugly. All of the members of the T.C.B.S. were killed in the war except Tolkien and one other friend. This caused Tolkien to reflect deeply on the ideas of good and evil.

Eventually, Tolkien became a professor at Oxford University. One night as he was grading papers, he absentmindedly wrote on a blank sheet of paper, "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit." He had no idea what a Hobbit was, but he decided to find out. He continued writing the story.

Out of these imaginings came The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. In these books, Tolkien created a world filled with elves, wizards, mythical creatures, and people. This world, called Middle Earth, was the site for epic battles between good and evil.

Tolkien continued to write until his death in 1973. Since their publication in the 1950s, The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings books have sold more then 100 million copies and have been translated into more then 25 languages.

Okay, I'm going to stop here, just to save it TELL ME YOUR COMMENTS!

Well that took a while! Finally written up! Okay, tell me what you think. Is it truthful? Did his parents really died when he was young?

*My doing
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom

Last edited by Blind Guardian; 06-13-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Yeah, that sounds accurate. I don't remember the story about the coal trucks, but the rest sounds about right.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cool!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Orofarne
Pile O'Bones

Orofarne has just left Hobbiton.
This seems like the best place to put this...

Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles something-I-can't-remember met every Tuesday to read their writing at the Eagle and Child pub in Oxford. they called themselves the Inklings. Everyone on the same page? Great.
Alright. While in Oxford, I went there, and heard this story told by the landlord, who heard it from the landlady who owned the Eagle and Child in the days of the Inklings, and who is still alive.
The Story:
C.S. Lewis is sitting down. Tolkien comes in with some papers under his arm. C.S. Lewis looks up innocently and says to him, "Oh no, not another story about elves!"
More of a Lewis story than a Tolkien story, I'll admit, but too good to waste.