The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Comic Amalgamation Station

Not sure if this will be acceptable, but after the success of Paper Telephone, I thought this was worth a shot...

This game is a little like Paper Telephone, but with an important difference; its largely picture based. The task is to create a comic strip. The problem is that each panel is made by different people who have no idea what else is in the comic.

Basically, this is how it will work;

We'll chose some budding artists (or force some not-so-budding terrible artists). I will PM a subject to them. It will be Middle Earth related, of course. Along the lines of 'A meeting of Orcs', 'Gandalf's hat troubles' or more likely, something funnier. Each player will then draw a panel for a comic strip. (I'll give dimensions at the end...) Once everyone has sent their pictures back to me, I'll do my best to arrange them into some sort of 'story'.

If you agree to this game, then you should keep your drawings to this size;

Example;

200 X 200

So... Will any among you join this quest to spin a tale of such strangeness that all the Elves will collapse in disgust? I'd like to get about 6 players at least.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yea.

I've been terribly lazy with drawing lately, and what would be a better way to get me to draw again than have an angry Hookbill pestering me if it takes me too long?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Ha-ha. Sure bet!

I'm in, that means...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Thanks for supporting this incredibly silly game.

- Aganzir
- Nogrod
- phantom, the
- Lommy

The benefits of this game are that everyone is drawing at once, rather than in a chain. So it should be done sooner than a MASSIVE Paper Telephone run.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-10-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I am no artist.

In the one art class I was forced to take when I was 12, my final project was a terrible drawing of a monster with a huge sword and a shoulder mounted grenade launcher. The art teacher didn't approve.

And for our final pottery project we were supposed to make an ornate pitcher with a lid. I made a four-legged monster-looking thing, hollowed out the inside, and then forced a small hole through from its mouth down through its neck to its body so that you could pour liquid out of its gaping maw.

Again, the art teacher didn't approve.

But this little game gives me hope, Hookbill. Surely here on the Downs my work will not be looked down on. I can redeem myself, and become a respected artist.

Or at least I can become a terrible artist that is laughed at rather than sent to the principal.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
But this little game gives me hope, Hookbill. Surely here on the Downs my work will not be looked down on. I can redeem myself, and become a respected artist.
The Downs wouldn't approve.

Phantoms aside; Hookbill, when are you planning to start this thing? Or when do you think it would start... and how much time are you planning to give to the... artists... to draw their pieces?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Phantoms aside; Hookbill, when are you planning to start this thing? Or when do you think it would start... and how much time are you planning to give to the... artists... to draw their pieces?
I'll start as soon as we have a good number of artists. I'll probably give a limit of... say... a week at the most? It's only a small picture, so it shouldn't take that long...
Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

This looks like a lot of fun... count me in.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I'll probably give a limit of... say... a week at the most?
I'd call that a decent shot. Week is enough if you have other duties pressing on certain days - or even several days - but not too much to wait for the outcome.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

We could do with two more participants... Any takers?

If nothing else, it's something to do while we wait for the current Paper Telephone.

- Aganzir
- Nogrod
- phantom, the
- Lommy
- Oddwen
- A Little Green

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-12-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'll join.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Tell you what, seeing as we aren't getting any more volunteers at the moment, I'll fill up the blank space with a 'the end' panel or something. So... This means we're starting any minute now.

I'll PM the theme to all the participants along with instructions and what not.

Let's hope this is a good one!

Of course, if someone volunteers before the end, I won't say no to them.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Can people still join? I was just talking to Greenie less than an hour ago and showed her this thread and asked if she'd like to join, and she said yes, and I asked if I should post about her being a volunteer here and she said she'd rather do it later by herself and let me write my RPG posts now...
Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Can people still join? I was just talking to Greenie less than an hour ago and showed her this thread and asked if she'd like to join, and she said yes, and I asked if I should post about her being a volunteer here and she said she'd rather do it later by herself and let me write my RPG posts now...
Of course! I'll PM the stuff to her now.

I've underlined those who have done thier pictures

- Aganzir
- Nogrod
- phantom, the
- Lommy
- Oddwen
- A Little Green

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-15-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
May I please join the next game?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #16
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
May I please join the next game?
Of course. As long as this game is successful and does not cause some sort of temporal paradox that would destroy the universe...
Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #17
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's done!

Credits, in order of frames;
Oddwen, phantom, nogrod, Aganzir, Lommy, Greenie.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hahaha.

Well this didn't make much sense, but it was amusing. The bright colours contrasted the happenings quite nicely (well, except for my pic, but I ended up being too lazy to colour it).

If we're doing another round, I'm in - unless Hookbill (or whoever's going to mod it) decides on a participant limit and there are other people who want to try it.

However, I'm not sure if some more consistency would be needed. I kind of liked it this way but it might be worth a try - say, if the mod gave the players a short list of characters to choose from, or just wrote a story to explain the pics once that the round is finished? Or would it become too much like Paper Telephone?
Dunno.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
However, I'm not sure if some more consistency would be needed. I kind of liked it this way but it might be worth a try - say, if the mod gave the players a short list of characters to choose from, or just wrote a story to explain the pics once that the round is finished? Or would it become too much like Paper Telephone?
Dunno.
I agree with a need for some consistency... but we should not destroy the very anarchistic idea this whole thing kind of rests on.

I think with a host more contributors and some deals made of the central characters this would be much more fun. With 10 to 15 pics the mod could really do her/his best and would have a lot of more choices to build a funny story. With only six pics one has very limited possibilities.

But it was fun to be in this and I do hope we'll get a new one with lots of contributors to make this a real event!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #20
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

That's not a bad idea. I had thought of something along those lines, but wasn't sure whether or not to do it right away.

You're right that we need more players. So, call up your friends, and your enemies! Let's get some sort of MASSIVE comic of some sort of doom.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #21
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

That was rather insane. I love all the pics.

I agree that there was maybe a slight problem with consistency/ making sense, but I think it was more because of the original sentence than because of the rules. Had the sentence sent to all of us included some character or object (eg. "Frodo caused a tragedy in Hobbiton"), it would have turned out rather different, I think. So, I don't think the rules necessarily need to be changed. (It's a question of preference, I think.)

Count me in for the next round.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #22
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
You can count me in as well. Great work with the last one, guys. That was pretty weird.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #23
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Okay, players signed up for the next game...

- TheGreatElvenWarrior
- Aganzir
- Nogrod
- Thinlómien
- A Little Green
- Oddwen
- phantom, the
-

I'll try and maintain some consistency by giving a list of characters for the next one. Maybe at least two can volunteer to do the 'ending' and 'starting' frame? Would that be good?

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-17-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #24
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
That was silly. And it did make some sense, as tp and Agan shared a character in theirs...thank goodness for widespread inside jokes and egotism.

I'll volunteer for the next round.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #25
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Interesting comic we came up with. I see my panel was a little too large. Sorry Hook. I'll try to make it right this next time.

And just what is that in the background, Ganzy?

*glares*
Old 09-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I'll try and maintain some consistency by giving a list of characters for the next one. Maybe at least two can volunteer to do the 'ending' and 'starting' frame? Would that be good?
++ a list of characters

++ volunteer for the starting frame

We might also have some slight basic ideas about the central characters, like if there is Aragorn he should have "brown shirt and a green backpack" or whatever so that we might be able to see the drawer has intended the same character. It doesn't need to be minute as all creativity is okay but just some such features which would make it clear to everyone who the character is (like Faramir is having a red feather in his hat )?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #27
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

PS. How about trying to attract people in with some PM's? It would be fun to try this with actually a slightly bigger crowd.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #28
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Triple posting...

Also the header could be a bit more detailed. "Tragedy in Hobbitton" is vague enough to make too different interpretations available with only half a dozen drawers in the game. I do not wish for any strict headers but a bit narrower one could be better - at least if we don't get a landslide for new people to join as well.

Like I said earlier it needs to be open enough to keep the possibilities of totally insane stories to be made up open still...

PS. Referring to my first post: I'd keep the last frame open for the mod to decide which it should be, but the maker of the first one could be decided beforehand...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #29
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
And just what is that in the background, Ganzy?

*glares*
Oh, just some random guy Gandalf had hanged because he couldn't stand it that he was almost as hot and smart as Gandalf himself.

++ a list of characters
++ a volunteer for the starting frame

I agree with Nog about the last frame as well as about the subject being a bit more detailed. However, I don't think the main features of the characters are that necessary to decide (unless it's something like "who chopped off Gollum's arm?").

Inviting people might be useful, either via PM or by posting an ad to the Paper Telephone thread. It might attract a few players.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #30
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Inviting people might be useful, either via PM or by posting an ad to the Paper Telephone thread. It might attract a few players.
Also, waiting for a few more days before starting could be a good idea...
Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #31
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Sure, why not.

I just won't be around until Monday though, if that is a problem. I have... Things to do. Artsy things. Yes.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #32
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I agree that it might be good to add a detail or two- eg "Trouble with Gandalf in Hobbiton". But I think placing too many demands and restrictions on the panels will lead to amalgamations that make a bit too much sense. I think part of the fun of this is the fact that things don't make sense.

So yes, give us a slightly more detailed topic, or maybe one recurring character or object, but not any more than that.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #33
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
I agree that it might be good to add a detail or two- eg "Trouble with Gandalf in Hobbiton". But I think placing too many demands and restrictions on the panels will lead to amalgamations that make a bit too much sense. I think part of the fun of this is the fact that things don't make sense.

So yes, give us a slightly more detailed topic, or maybe one recurring character or object, but not any more than that.
I agree. Although, something like "Gandalf tries on different hats" might produce things too similar.

- TheGreatElvenWarrior
- Aganzir
- Nogrod
- Thinlómien
- A Little Green
- Oddwen
- phantom, the
- THE Ka
- Volo
- Legate
- Gwathagor

Now we have enough players! We can still accept more if anyone else wants to play. If we get an odd number I can always put a "The End" frame in.

So... Who wants to do the opening panel?

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-22-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #34
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Though I haven't fully grasped the idea, I'm in.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #35
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

If there are no other volunteers, I have no problems doing the opening.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #36
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I'll leave the player list open until Sunday, shall we say? Hopefully the weekend will give some the chance to sign up... Maybe?

Thanks Agan! I look forward to your work.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #37
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, as I managed to return, and as I see quite "five minuts to twelve", I'd say, I would like to ask: May I still join this round? Could be interesting.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #38
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, as I managed to return, and as I see quite "five minuts to twelve", I'd say, I would like to ask: May I still join this round? Could be interesting.
Yep.

I'm going to start now. Aganzir, you're doing the opening panel.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #39
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
If you've got an open spot, count me in, please, Mr. the Goomba.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 AM   #40
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Oh, um, could people please sign their E-mails with their screen name. Last time I had to rack my brains trying to work out who some of you were.