The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-31-2003, 04:32 PM   #41
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dūm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But when it comes down to acting Mr. Bloom sounds forced. He is just a bad actor, like Liv Tyler. And why coundlt they have cast someone a bit less of a heartthrob than Orlando. <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>*restrains.. self.. not to.. strangle...* being as non-offensive as possible, of course. <BR> Orlando was great! perfect elf. I mean, everything down to his posture was elvish!!! He even managed to convincingly pull off the suckiest lines ever! Honestly, I bet he could even make "It's quiet. Too quiet." seem original! And besides, in Orli's own words, "Legolas prefers to let his actions speak for him." His dialogue isn't supposed to be his strength. Its the acting behind it. And why shouldn't they have cast a "heartthrob?" They didn't cast him because he was a heartthrob, but instead because he's an elf. He originally tried out for Faramir, but he got cast as Legolas because he could do the part better than anyone else.<BR> And coming to Liv's defense, what makes her a bad actress? Her Arwen was so moving! she managed to convey the tragic romance of the situation effortlessly.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:29 AM   #42
aleesa
Animated Skeleton

aleesa has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to aleesa Send a message via AIM to aleesa
Sting

I watched RotK for the second time last night in a full cinema and the scene where Frodo was recovering from the trip to Mount Doom was memorable. Why? Because when Legolas entered the room, there was a sudden-synchronized-gasping in a before-that-it-was-quiet-cinema. Later, when I walked out of the cinema, I finally noticed that almost half of the audience were girls. Oh well...<BR>But I still say Orlando Bloom did a pretty good job. Imagine someone else playing Legolas and still saying those one-liners. That person might not performed the lines as well as Orlando did.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:42 PM   #43
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orlando is not that bad an actor!!! And he just ended up as a heart throb...he was an unknown, remember?! Unless you count the...um...I think it was 26 seconds in Wilde (I timed it ). Sure, he isn't such a fluid kind of line-deliverer and stuff, but he's improving...and anyway, they couldn't find anyone else to play Legolas. And somehow I don't think Ashton Kutcher would be able to pull off the wig...I mean, just look at Haldir!!!! (Um...no Haldir fans here I hope...*hides in a tree*).<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Can you imagine a director of a 300 million+ movie casting a major character simply to 'get the chicks to come to the movies? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> In a word...'Arwen'. Liv herself said they cast her and played up her role to increase interest and stuff...and who was this referring to anyway? You can't have been talking about Orli?!!! That phenomenon was more of a result of the films than a draw to the films...I didn't know he'd be good-looking when I saw FOTR, and that was in February when everyone else had already seen it...(And he's got a good many fans in my school- but then it's a girls' school).<P>Yeah, I want a screencap of that Prince of Mirkwood bit and stuff...I regret to admit I gasped when he came in in that silver shirt...you know, we can't actually help it!!!!! My friend looked at me and laughed when she heard me gasp. But there wasn't a loud overall gasp because most of them were men. And everyone cheered on the Oliphaunt stunt and when Eowyn challenged the Witch King.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:02 PM   #44
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I mean, just look at Haldir!!!! (Um...no Haldir fans here I hope...*hides in a tree*). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Totally with you. *retch* <BR>*scrambles up into tree to hide with Elentari*
Old 01-04-2004, 04:25 AM   #45
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I mean, just look at Haldir!!!! (Um...no Haldir fans here I hope...*hides in a tree*). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I fear now i shall have to reach for my bow. <P>I thought Orli did a great job as Legsie. And i really think that none of us can <I>really</I> judge them properly until we have had a try at doing it ourselves... (*grins wildly "oh the possibilities presciousss"*)<BR>And I think our boy Orlando was a perfect pick. <P>>> And to add a note to this note, i have now throughly confused myself.<p>[ 5:25 AM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: Aredhel Ar-Feiniel ]
Old 01-04-2004, 10:50 PM   #46
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I regret to admit I gasped when he came in in that silver shirt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too! I loved that outfit so much. He looked so good in it, and when he came out during the corination, he looked even better <BR>(And just to let everyone know, I am not a Legolas fan at all. My sister is the big one in the family, and she won't let me like him)
Old 01-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #47
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My friends and i have just sat up staraight in our chairs and you could hear the girls in the cinema gasp.<P>But i will say this.. "That was the money shot allright!"
Old 01-05-2004, 10:28 AM   #48
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I definitely agree. Orlando Bloom brought Legolas to life for me. He was the perfect actor for the job and I do have to commend PJ for casting him. Even in Rivendell I didn't quite see it, but at Aragorn's wedding, Legolas just <I>glowed</I>. I could see that innate Elvishness just radiating from within him.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:55 PM   #49
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<B>I said</B>:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Can you imagine a director of a 300 million+ movie casting a major character simply to 'get the chicks to come to the movies? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>Elentari_O_Most_Mighty_1</B> said this:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>You can't have been talking about Orli?!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I was responding to someone else's assumption that PJ simply cast Legolas to 'get the chicks to come out to the movie', & didn't care about anything else. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>That phenomenon was more of a result of the films than a draw to the films<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's the point I brought up also. <P>Arwen is really not as major of a character as Legolas is, even with her played-up role, but my original point still remains that even Liv was not cast only to get the guys to come out.<P>Also, Orlando is not a <I>bad</I> actor. He's been unfortunate to be put in movies with exceptional actors (Ian McKellan, Sean Bean, Viggo Mortensen, Johnny Depp) that bring out his inexpierence a little bit. His acting isn't <B>great</B>, but give him some time.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:35 PM   #50
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

Well, Orlando isn't my favorite, but I don't hate him.<BR>It's just the girls who go to the movies because Orlando is in it.<P>His role in POTC I thought was exellent, so I'll give him that.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #51
Alexandria Lumiere

Silmaril

I think he's great.He has all of Legolas' emotions and character.<BR>And of course,he's fit to be Legolas,Middle Earth's most handsome elf!
Old 01-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #52
Sambar

Sting

Yes, imagine the outcry if PJ had cast an ugly Legolas. Listen to all the complaints about how Elrond isn't handsome enough. There are a few ugly elves that pop up here and there in the three films, and you sure notice them. "Immortal, wisest and FAIREST," isn't that what Galadriel says?
Old 01-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #53
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Estel is right- Orlando Bloom is very good at a certain type of character. i thikn he would get stuck if he had to play another kind, though. But yes, i think he is a good actor but has been unfortunate that so far his co stars have, really, been most of the best actors in the world.<P>i don't think anyone will remember the Leggy role as wonderful acting that really stood out, so I hope that he has learnt and absorbed information from the wonderful actors he has worked with so he can improvve and expand in the future.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:41 PM   #54
elenquesse
Pile O'Bones

elenquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elenquesse
Eye

I think Orlando Bloom really played the part, even despite the horrid lines he was frequently given. The mumakil scene was a highlight of the movie met with much cheering and clapping from the theater audience (luckily not too many swooning girls). And I loved the way PJ developed he and Gimli's friendship more with the rivalry, as it really brings out the non-"Does my hair look OK?" side of Legolas.<P>However, I kind of wish PJ had chosen a less boyishly-cute actor (although I'm all for Orli) because I'm seeing the movie on a middle-school field trip tomorrow, and I am particularly worried about the obnoxious gasping from the girls. I mean, half of the female student body already has "Orlando Bloom is the hottest guy ever!" in their AIM profile...
Old 01-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #55
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm seeing the movie on a middle-school field trip tomorrow, and I am particularly worried about the obnoxious gasping from the girls. I mean, half of the female student body already has "Orlando Bloom is the hottest guy ever!" in their AIM profile...<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> omg you are soo lucky!!! a school field trip??? for what subject??? and yeah I hate it when people obsess over Orli like that... they don't realize he's more than just a pretty face on the screen...
Old 01-07-2004, 05:26 PM   #56
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sounds like whats going to happen when my Female filled Ancient History Class goes to see Troy in a few months. (We planned it when the cast was announced, seriously, somehting for everyone girls.)<P>It will be interesting to see how Orlando Plays Paris, (who is the "great lover" according to the Illiad and in the same hting, backs away from a fight with Helen's true husband.) I wonder just how many of Legolas' characteristics he decides to use in there. (after all, Paris slays achillies with an arrow to the heel.) .<P>As for Elrond not being fair,<BR>Well he is half <I>human</I> after all, so what do you expect, he must have a little flaw.<P>-Unlike Legolas, who i reckon in that film has no flaws.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:48 PM   #57
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But yes, i think he is a good actor but has been unfortunate that so far his co stars have, really, been most of the best actors in the world. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Mind you, it doesn't seem to have done his career much harm.