The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #1081
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
When any word that starts Cele, you pronounce Kele
Or when you read that post and pronounce it "kele," having to go back and re-read it a couple times to figure out what you did wrong [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
You know you're obsessed when you notice that if you move one space in 'one ring to rule them all' you get 'one ring to rule the mall.'
Elennar, I hereby swear to recite that line whenever I walk into a mall [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] That poem made me crack up! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Ahhh... the things you can do when you're half-awake....

Quote:
IF we ever get a new scanner or get this old one to be undead, then I'll be able to show the LotR road trip manga.
Ooo! I'd like to see it, too, Naz! Manga fan, eh? Me too ^_^

And now for some of my own...

-When you hear the word "namae" in Japanese class and mishear it, thinking it was "namarie"

-When, to get you to go shopping with her, your mom says "They might have LotR action figures!" Because she knows it'll pique your attention

-When you write your friend's birthday card in Tengwar, and she doesn't know it... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

-When, whenever you get that look in your eyes and take a deep breath to squeal something about LotR, your friends clamp their hands over your mouth, knowing what's coming.

-When you start squealing uncontrolably when you see the shiny new RotK posters at your local movie theater. *squee* They only had the Aragorn one at first. Now they have them all! ...Needless to say, my friends refused to associate with me...
Old 09-27-2003, 04:07 PM   #1082
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw a Rotk poster at the cinema this evening. I sat down and stared at it for about 20 minutes, a weird vacant grin on my face.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:17 PM   #1083
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Is there any chance you live in Utah?
Sorry Elennar, I live in Wisconsin. But you're welcome to come the 1000+ miles here and visit!
Quote:
My mom can't stand being in the room with me when I watch Fellowship, owing to the fact that I speak all the lines along with the characters. It drives her nuts.
Mine too! Especially since both my brother and I recite the lines at the same time (he's just as obsessed as I am)
Quote:
I saw a place called Mirkwood flooring and Interior!!
There's a place called Lothlorien Co-op near where I live, and a Bag End Sound Productions as well.
Quote:
You know you're obsessed with LOTR when your fencing equipment has names like 'Orcrist', 'Anduril', and 'Bill the Pony'. And other fencers who haven't read the books start calling them by their names.
You're a fencer too? So am I, but I just started very recently, so I haven't gotten to work with a blade yet.

~You call a piece that you are forced to play in orchestra that you hate "Morgoth's Minuet." The cool part was that I shared a music stand at the time with the only other LotR fan I know (although she's not nearly as obsessed as I am), so she actually undestood what I meant.

~You plan to skip your school's Homecoming dance and go on the Downs instead. Wait- to make it sound better, I could call it HoMEcoming! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]

[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]
Old 09-27-2003, 05:55 PM   #1084
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
*gets mental picture of cheerleaders making out with orcs* EEEWWWW!!!!! That was disturbing! Poor orcs!
*SNORK!!!* [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Quote:
IF we ever get a new scanner or get this old one to be undead, then I'll be able to show the LotR road trip manga
Yay!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
Manga fan, eh? Me too ^_^
Right on, Amarantha! We gotta start an LotR-manga forum somewhere...
Quote:
Especially since both my brother and I recite the lines at the same time (he's just as obsessed as I am)
Dang, that's not fair. Why does my brother have to be an anti-LotR person? *pouts*

And I did the same as Orominuialwen, skipping my school's homecoming game (heck, every game) to get on the 'Downs and watch LotR repeatedly. Football so can't compare to a nice bloody orc-slaughter. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-27-2003, 07:03 PM   #1085
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

When you go to see a movie just to see the ROTK trailer, then walk around the mall so you can look at the LotR books and magazine articles and go to the weapons store on the other side of the mall to see all the LotR swords! (it was so much fun!)
Arwen
Old 09-28-2003, 04:08 AM   #1086
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is a Rohan shop near where I live! Wow, man, this chain must be pretty widespread, because I live in Jolly Olde Englande...

Anyway...when you write your friend's title in their maths book in tengwar so they don't understand it (only mine was a mix of bubble writing and tengwar because I couldn't remember all the letters).

Also when you make everyone's birthday card by hand putting pictures of their character in it (I named everyone after a character [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and writing it all in tengwar lol.

And writing Elvish in someone's 'happy book'.

And what is a homecoming game?
And aren't we lucky, there aren't any cheerleaders here...cheerleading isn't very common in England.

EDIT: Looks like Rohan is just widespread in England then... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 09-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #1087
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, elf-girl (whatever number it was...sorry, I forgot). I did think that actually...sorry...hehehehe. I did try to reply BUT YOUR PM BOX IS FULL! But yeah...

When your friends run screaming down the cloisters because one of your friends declares they will turn into my clone... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2003, 11:04 AM   #1088
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

During volleyball pracice, you manage to get everyonne to serve at the same time when you stand at the net and yell "VOLLEY!" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2003, 11:12 AM   #1089
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Quote:
Even though I wasn't around when Boromir was crowned Disco King, can I still have something on the side of my binder that says in all caps DO THE WAVE FOR BOROMIR THE DISCO KING!!! with a squid beneath it? (which has earned me 2 weird looks thus far^ ^)
Of course you can!

Quote:
When you go to see a movie just to see the ROTK trailer, then walk around the mall so you can look at the LotR books and magazine articles and go to the weapons store on the other side of the mall to see all the LotR swords!
There's a weapons store at your mall?!?!?! *Elennar turns an interesting shade of green*
I am soooo jealous!!!

Quote:
(only mine was a mix of bubble writing and tengwar because I couldn't remember all the letters).
I bet that looks strange...

Quote:
And what is a homecoming game?
Well, it's a football game, I am not sure exactly what 'homecoming' means. People get very excited, and there's a dance, and people wear school colors (I protested, my school colors are red and gold, so I wore green and silver, a much nicer color combination, in my opinion) and act like idiots at the pep rally. (of course, people act like idiots at pep rallys anyway, they just act like bigger idiots at homecoming time.)

And, lucky you, you get to live in England! *turns green again*

Quote:
Football so can't compare to a nice bloody orc-slaughter.
So true. I just had an interesting thought...Football players as orcs! Hmmm, I shall have to write a parody. Cheerleaders, umm...what should they be? orcs are taken, so perhaps they could be goblins? Share your thoughts!

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manga fan, eh? Me too ^_^
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right on, Amarantha! We gotta start an LotR-manga forum somewhere...
There seem to be many manga fans here! I need help, does anyone know how to draw curly hair? (hobbits, of course!)

Quote:
Sorry Elennar, I live in Wisconsin. But you're welcome to come the 1000+ miles here and visit!
I'm planning a road trip with a friend, (when we can drive, not for a few years [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]) Maybe I will be able to visit! We're going all over... Gonna be so fun!

Quote:
Elennar, I hereby swear to recite that line whenever I walk into a mall. That poem made me crack up! Ahhh... the things you can do when you're half-awake....
Next time I'm half-awake, I will do the riddle of Strider! Or maybe something else, I don't know yet. It'll be just as cheesy, I promise!

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]
Old 09-28-2003, 03:43 PM   #1090
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Quote:
s, umm...what should they be?
Cheerleaders should be Keebler elfs. Those are the most evil things on the face of Middle-Earth.

--When you spell the word 'gray' in the English manner, 'grey,' rather than the American manner because you've read the words Gandalf the Grey so many times.

--When your best friend (who designs and makes costumes) says she'll let you borrow one of the dresses she's made that looks like an elvish dress to wear to RotK premiere, but only if you don't talk about LotR for a while. You actually decide that a dress to wear to the opening night is worth it.

--You dance with glee when someone tells you that you look like an elf.

--Your best friend got tired of you not wearing make-up and just doing your hair in a ponytail, so she convinced you that you would look more like an elf if you wore your hair down and made it wavy. She was right!

--Your best friend tries to convince you that jeans don't look elvish and that you should wear a dress.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 05:55 PM   #1091
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
--When you spell the word 'gray' in the English manner, 'grey,' rather than the American manner because you've read the words Gandalf the Grey so many times.
I like grey so much better than gray.... it just looks better....

Quote:
You're so lucky! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I hope someone tells me that someday soon! The closest I've ever gotten is that I look elvish, and one person thought I looked like Liv Tyler (I don't really, nut I took it as a compliment, because Liv Tyler plays Arwen, as we all know, and Arwen looks like Luthien, so it could indirectly mean that I look like Luthien if one stretches things a bit.) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:44 PM   #1092
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Quote:
When you hear the word "namae" in Japanese class and mishear it, thinking it was "namarie"
Amarantha, you are so lucky! I really want to learn Japanese.

Today I was in K-Mart and they were playing TTT on a TV, mostly to advertise the TV. So naturally, I stood there for a half hour watching the movie, until my dad came and dragged me away.

When you constantly are abiding by "WWGD?" (What would Gandalf do?) or whichever character.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:50 PM   #1093
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
Amarantha, you are so lucky! I really want to learn Japanese.
Yes, me too.

Quote:
Today I was in K-Mart and they were playing TTT on a TV, mostly to advertise the TV. So naturally, I stood there for a half hour watching the movie, until my dad came and dragged me away.
Ahh, yes, they once showed FOTR on a large TV at some furniture/household stuff store that I was dragged to. Needless to say that made me happy.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:42 PM   #1094
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
--When you spell the word 'gray' in the English manner, 'grey,' rather than the American manner because you've read the words Gandalf the Grey so many times
I do that all the time! I like the way it looks much better if it's written as 'grey.' Of course, being American, I have gotten a few strange looks writing it that way, but who cares? I like it better! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Oh!! Lucky you! I wish somebody would tell me that!

When you stand in front of the mirror and try to convince yourself that you really do look like an elf. (I have done that before...)
Old 09-29-2003, 07:29 AM   #1095
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

wow, I haven't posted here in a while. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I guess I'll have to do some obsessive things today so I have something to post. Stupid life always getting in the way of quality 'downs time. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:23 AM   #1096
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
does anyone know how to draw curly hair? (hobbits, of course!)
I usually just draw wavy lines instead of straight when I'm doing hobbit hair. It really depends on how tight you want the curls to be.

Heehee, I am wearing my hobbit costume at school today, and have gotten a total of 15 weird looks already (and it's only lunchtime!)!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Go me!

Abedithon le, a hebo gladhad.

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-29-2003, 12:00 PM   #1097
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

well I guess I got my wish of having more time to spend here. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] (I'm home sick and let me just tell you, I feel terrible!)

Anyway, before I went home sick I had to write my vocab words in sentences and one of them was conjur so of course I quoted Gandalf. "Bilbo Baggins, do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks."
Old 09-29-2003, 03:18 PM   #1098
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Shield

Get better soon, elfearz! *does a get-well dance* [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

This week is homecoming week at my school too. Bleah! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I found it quite funny when on the morning announcements, the girl trying to say "Pep Rally" mispoke and said "Prep Rally." [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, to get back on topic: You know you are obsessed when, every time you see the French word eleve (meaning student) it looks like "elves."

I got so mad today when I heard two ditzy, loud, and very preppy girls referring to Aragorn as "that hot guy from Lord of the Rings with long brown hair and the sword." [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Oh yes, I forgot - I got my braces dark blue and silver, the Noldor and Last Alliance colours! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 09-29-2003, 03:28 PM   #1099
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
I'm home sick and let me just tell you, I feel terrible!
I'm a little bit sick, too. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] But, I don't have to do school today, so I guess I'm happy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
This week is homecoming week at my school too. Bleah! I found it quite funny when on the morning announcements, the girl trying to say "Pep Rally" mispoke and said "Prep Rally."
I've done that before, and I adopted the term. It really is a Prep Rally, so that's what I call it. They should have LOTR rallies instead. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2003, 03:34 PM   #1100
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
This week is homecoming week at my school too. Bleah! I found it quite funny when on the morning announcements, the girl trying to say "Pep Rally" mispoke and said "Prep Rally."
Hah! people keep doing that at my school too! It isn't homecoming week anymore, and I am glad!

I was reading this topic at school(my school won't let me log on, so I can't post, but at least I can read it!) and the girl sitting next to me asked me what I was reading, after I laughed out loud, and so I explained all about the 'downs. Then she said it was stupid! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Vile fiend of Morgoth...

A friend did something mean today. It was after lunch and we were walking around, and suddenly he said "Return of the King comes out tomorrow." I was half asleep at the time, so I believed him for a second and freaked out. He started laughing at me. NOT NICE!!! Elennar does not like to be tricked when she's half asleep. It makes her very annoyed.

In typing class we had an assignment to type ten things that we would tell younger children about life, I said, as a few of them:

Beware of Denethor with matches!
Eenie, meenie, miney, moe, catch a steward by the toe. If Meela hollers, RUN AWAY!!!
WAVE SQUID AT BOROMIR THE DISCO KING!!!
What would Gandalf do?
Old 09-29-2003, 04:01 PM   #1101
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Pipe

Quote:
When you see something reading "Nolo News" you think it says "Noldor News". ^ ^;
I get really excited every time I watch the news because they always have a commercial for this one place and I think it's called Ainu Saoln, but then I am forced to calm down when I realize it only says Aniu Salon [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] .
Quote:
And I did the same as Orominuialwen, skipping my school's homecoming game (heck, every game) to get on the 'Downs and watch LotR repeatedly. Football so can't compare to a nice bloody orc-slaughter.
It's not just the game I'm skipping, it's the dance too. I've never been to any of my school's footballl games. The only way I would even consider going to the dance was if they were going to do the Springle Ring- then you wouldn't be able to keep me away! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But I do do Irish Ceili dancing (it's a kind of folk dance), and I think the Springle Ring must be a lot like that.

Quote:
quote:

I like grey so much better than gray.... it just looks better....
That is so true. Also I like to spell aluminum the British way (aluminium) because it looks and sounds way cooler.

Quote:
Someone told me once that the way I did my hair made me look like Arwen (that was what I was trying to do). On the same note, I become very proud when people who don't even know my little brother, or about our obsession, come up to me and tell me he looks like Frodo (this has happened twice). He does look like a cross between Elijah Wood and Paul McCartney (when he was younger).

Quote:
I'm home sick and let me just tell you, I feel terrible!
Hope you feel better soon elfearz and Luthien!

Quote:
They should have LOTR rallies instead.
Exactly! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

~When the girl who sits in front of you in algebra asks you what Do the wave for Boromir the Disco King means (because it's written on the front of your notebook), you tell her it's something someone made up on a website you like. Except she said Boromir like Bore-om-er, so you tell her that he's a character from Lotr. She tells you that she doesn't like LotR, she only likes love stories [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] , so you whisper bado orch echado meleth at the back of her head during the whole class.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:11 PM   #1102
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Get better soon!!

Ah... I miss Japanese class...

"Namae wa..."

"EE?! NAMARIE?"

"Shizuka ni ****e kudasai!"

"^ ^;;;"

Yay! More manga fans! Though I warn the-- the LotR Road Trip manga is drawn kinda... messily. ^ ^;;

Also recently whenever I get annoyed, I say "By the Valar!" Or other times too... ^ ^;;; Is this like a swear word...? - -;

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Naz ]
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:54 PM   #1103
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

When you get highly annoyed hearing people talk about Santa's elves, and seeing the Keebler elves, because, as we all know, that's not what elves are really like!

Also, at the risk of sounding ignorant, what is manga?
Arwen
Old 09-29-2003, 07:05 PM   #1104
Elfwine
Pile O'Bones

Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

-When you take on the name of a created character who lives in the world, the time frame of Middle-Earth, and have all your friends, teachers and relatives revert to calling you it. Personal experience. Myself, you ask? No. A friend of mine. My apologies if it's been said!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Oromin! I sent you a p-message, and I'm sure you'll receive it next your on, but I've decided to pester you about it anyway. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I hope no one here minds me barging in thus. *scratches head, grinning lop-sidedly*

Ah, yes, and Arwen, manga would be Japanese cartoons/comics in a nutshell. No need to feel ignorant.

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Elfwine ]
Old 09-29-2003, 07:55 PM   #1105
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I need help, does anyone know how to draw curly hair? (hobbits, of course!)
-------
I usually just draw wavy lines instead of straight when I'm doing hobbit hair. It really depends on how tight you want the curls to be.
Agreed. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I do the same. Or if you want it to be a bit less wavy, you can just make a few little curved hairs popping out, to make it seem a bit messy. It kind of looks like hobbit hair... It's hard to explain this without drawing!

Quote:
Heehee, I am wearing my hobbit costume at school today, and have gotten a total of 15 weird looks already (and it's only lunchtime!)!!!
Congrats! Have you gotten any double-takes? Those are fun [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Unfortunatly, most of the people at my school are used to me dressing funny...but I can always get funny looks from people who don't know me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
(I'm home sick and let me just tell you, I feel terrible!)
-------
I'm a little bit sick, too.
Awwww... Get well soon! *offers chicken noodle soup*

Quote:
Yay! More manga fans! Though I warn the-- the LotR Road Trip manga is drawn kinda... messily.
Aw, quite all right. It's the thought that counts. The love and caring you put into it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm sure it's great!

Quote:
Also, at the risk of sounding ignorant, what is manga?
Nah, you don't sound ignorant. Manga is one of those things that, if your familiar with it, you know what it is. If you don't, you'll probably never hear about it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Do you know what anime is? It's those Japanese style "cartoons" for lack of a better word. Anime is Japanese animation, and manga is/are Japanese comic books. They kind of go hand in hand. The style is really what sets it apart. Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, and Princess Mononoke are some examples you may have heard of.

Any-woo, so that I don't get in trouble for being off-topic... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

You know you're obsessed when your head snaps up at even the slightest refrence to Tolkien

My dad was watching tv, channel surfing, when he caught the last couple secounds of a commercial for FotR on the Encore channel. All I heard was the last few notes of the theme music, no words or anything, and my head just snapped up, and I saw "New Line Cinema" ...My dad laughed. He found it quite funny. Mua ha ha ha... Tolkien senses tingling!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:24 PM   #1106
Elfwine
Pile O'Bones

Shield

Quote:
You know you're obsessed when your head snaps up at even the slightest refrence to Tolkien
Heh, not only will my head snap up, but I often find my feet wandering, with a mind of their own, in the general direction of the Tolkien-related words/music. I think I've, or we've all got that one down. ^____________^

-When you spend most of your leisure time sitting on your rump in front of the monitor screen clicking the endless links and posting messages at places like this, The Barrow-Downs, and eventually get to know the other members of the site better than you know the friends you share a relationship with in person.

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Elfwine ]
Old 09-29-2003, 10:24 PM   #1107
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hi Elfwine!! I got your PM. (In case any of you are wondering, Elfwine and I go to the same school- we discovered each other at fencing club [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

~When you start smiling uncontrollably because two people on your bus are talking about their friend who they say looks like a hobbit. They said she was taking weight training, so that by the time she was done she would probably look like a dwarf. They were considering telling her to grow a beard [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] !

~When your family gives a wooden Noah's Ark to a little girl at your church and she puts Noah lying down in the bottom of the boat and you say "Look! It's Boromir!" The cool thing was that nearly everyone in the room knew what I was talking about! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 11:24 AM   #1108
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
Congrats! Have you gotten any double-takes?
Indeed! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It was great, I love getting weird looks.
Quote:
the LotR Road Trip manga is drawn kinda... messily. ^ ^;;
It's all good. My stuff usually looks kinda messy too... ^^;

When you watch the NEW ROTK TRAILER (!!!) about twenty times on your computer... and then another twenty even though your mom has told you to get off and work on homework. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Dude, if anyone here hasn't seen that trailer, GO NOW!!! It is so awesome! And you get to see Shelob! Wheeeeee!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-30-2003, 01:00 PM   #1109
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

--When your favorite thing that happened to you today was that your economics teacher asked about the Barrowdowns so she could tell her LotR obsessed daughter! SQUEEEEE!!!

--When you see a man with an elvish looking shirt is "Wow, it's an elf; I wonder if he's a LotR fan." and your second is "That guy looks like Reynion" (he's a char in one of the RPGs I'm in here.)

--When you have an argument with someone about whether or not elves scar.

--When you and another fantasy fan (unfortunately not as LotR-obsessed as I) spend a class period deciding on what to do to the Keebler elfs.

And I have to go, because my lunch period is about over. I have more...
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 01:53 PM   #1110
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Hope you feel better soon elfearz and Luthien!
Thanks so much, everyone! I'm not sick anymore, not really, but now I have a lot of pain in my mouth from nasssssty braces. Horrid things. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I bet braces are a torture method invented by orcs or something. Except that wouldn't make sense, because then they would have better teeth.

Quote:
When you get highly annoyed hearing people talk about Santa's elves, and seeing the Keebler elves, because, as we all know, that's not what elves are really like!
Ah, yes. Santa's stunted little pixies are creating trouble yet again. We should tell everyone that there is no Santa, only Father Christmas, and then refer them to the Father Christmas Letters, the letters of the true Father Christmas. And about Keebler elves: I have a frisbee that says "I believe in elves", and it hs a Keebler elf on it. I try to focus on the caption and ignore the image.

Quote:
-When you spend most of your leisure time sitting on your rump in front of the monitor screen clicking the endless links and posting messages at places like this, The Barrow-Downs, and eventually get to know the other members of the site better than you know the friends you share a relationship with in person.
Definately.

Quote:
When your favorite thing that happened to you today was that your economics teacher asked about the Barrowdowns so she could tell her LotR obsessed daughter! SQUEEEEE!!!
Congrats! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to do many obssessive things lately. There's not much of a way to be obssessive around other people and scare them if you're homeschooled. Except I intend to decorate my notebook with LOTR and BD things, so I guess that counts. Well, and I think about Sam every time I eat potatoes. Does that count? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #1111
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Yay! My Arwen pendant just got here in the mail! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The same girl that was talking about Aragorn as "the hot guy with brown hair and a sword" said today that she saw a picture of Viggo and thought he was incredibly ugly in real life! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

You know you are obsessed when, on another insultingly easy English grammar worksheet where you have to make up sentences containing certain parts of speech, every single sentence contains a LotR reference. Or, for just about anything in school that you can write about anything you want to.

I hardly know anything about Manga or anime, but I've seen the whole Nadia of Blue Water series and I loved it. hmm...*scratches head and wonders how that has anything to do with the discussion* [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 02:35 PM   #1112
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

you are told in english that you are to prepare a presentation speech about ANYTHING you like. and yours is on....TOLKIEN YAY! you know that it will end up being about half an hour long as you will have to show slides of him, his maps, his family, oxford university etc, tell the whole class about how sad his childhood was and then cry when you inform them how he triumphed over adversity to become the greatest author of all time (cue fierce, challenging look around the class) and OF COURSE you will have to read excerpts from his books (all of them), give the class a brief crash course in elvish and inform them how funny he was and how much you wish you had been alive when he was. then you cry again because you realise you will never meet him.

-you cry atleast once a month when you realise tolkien is dead.
-ritualistically kelebrate his birthday and mourn the day he died.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:11 PM   #1113
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:

Ah, yes. Santa's stunted little pixies are creating trouble yet again. We should tell everyone that there is no Santa, only Father Christmas, and then refer them to the Father Christmas Letters, the letters of the true Father Christmas. And about Keebler elves: I have a frisbee that says "I believe in elves", and it hs a Keebler elf on it. I try to focus on the caption and ignore the image.
See my siggy. It's another way to get wierd looks! Yay! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to do many obssessive things lately. There's not much of a way to be obssessive around other people and scare them if you're homeschooled. Except I intend to decorate my notebook with LOTR and BD things, so I guess that counts. Well, and I think about Sam every time I eat potatoes. Does that count?
Mmmmmm..... potatoes.....

Quote:
Yay! My Arwen pendant just got here in the mail!
Yay! Lucky you!

Quote:
you are told in english that you are to prepare a presentation speech about ANYTHING you like. and yours is on....TOLKIEN YAY! you know that it will end up being about half an hour long as you will have to show slides of him, his maps, his family, oxford university etc, tell the whole class about how sad his childhood was and then cry when you inform them how he triumphed over adversity to become the greatest author of all time (cue fierce, challenging look around the class) and OF COURSE you will have to read excerpts from his books (all of them), give the class a brief crash course in elvish and inform them how funny he was and how much you wish you had been alive when he was. then you cry again because you realise you will never meet him.
Teehee! I've done AT LEAST three Tolkien reports, and I've pretty much done everything you've said here, except a crashcourse in Elvish, as I have not yet had the privelige to learn it myself. And, yes, i did start crying during mine... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]...it's just so emotional telling about his death, and his tombstone (!I couldn't leave that out!) *While typing, Siri bursts into tears*

Oh, and speaking of Siri...
You know you are obsessed when...you see a resturant called Siri Thai III, you completly freak out! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] There's a resturant named after me! (Ok, not exactly, just let me have my fun!)
*Siri floats off in little bubble. Bubble pops* [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: Sirithheruwen ]
Old 09-30-2003, 05:02 PM   #1114
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LotR Road Trip manga synopsis-

SO FAR!

Character intro, Ary almost kills em, Frodo throws up, nasty question from Gimli to Leggy resulting in yelling, Boromir going crazy with Merry & Pip ALREADY, & Meela (or at least her fist) making an apperance! Four words: SEXY STEWARD & CRTOSSWORD PUZZLE. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:27 PM   #1115
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

Thank you everyone! I finally got medicine after a week and a half of feeling sick [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

...you force yourself to do the walk to rivendell even though you feel sick. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 07:35 PM   #1116
Elfwine
Pile O'Bones

Shield

Quote:
~When your family gives a wooden Noah's Ark to a little girl at your church and she puts Noah lying down in the bottom of the boat and you say "Look! It's Boromir!" The cool thing was that nearly everyone in the room knew what I was talking about!
Funny! You know, that's gotten to me. Whenever someone dies, or when I think about death - sending someone down a waterfall in a rowboat, or off onto a lake on top of a bundle of sticks, standing by with a flame tipped arrow to eventually shoot at and burn them comes to mind first before cremation (ok, kind of the same) or burial.

And yes, Orominuialwen and I met in the first, and hopefully last seven-minute session of fencing club. Speaking of fencing club, remember to bring your slip in so we can be fitted and actually start! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

--When you scoff at people you dislike, spitting Elvish curses at them that not only merely offend them, but deem them Dwarfish, or of the like...or vice versa, depending on your stand point....

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: Elfwine ]
Old 09-30-2003, 07:46 PM   #1117
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Silmaril

ok i have a history of modern music class first period okay so anyhoo.
we are learning about elvis presley
well i had to write a paper or notes or something like that.and on my paper the whole way through it is says ELVISH PRESLEY
and i got funny looks when my friend goes why does it say elvish presley i love getting weird looks.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:54 PM   #1118
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

When you demand to meet one of your best friends' father just because he is reading the Silmarillion (and has the old '79 paperback edition) and is getting into Lord of the Rings.

When you give your entire Calculus I class heart attacks by squealing like a baby Nazgul when you receive said news.

When you give said friend a huge, Aragorn-sized hug and tell him that you love him forever (even though your boyfriend is standing right behind you!)
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:28 PM   #1119
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for the tips on curly hair! I drew Rosie today, and she is the prettiest manga person I have ever drawn! I wish I looked like that... Now I am going to draw Sam, and I will try to post my finished pic. (Hopefully I can convince my dad to let me use the scanner) I have to figure out how to do hobbit bodies though. A chibi-ish style should work. Not exactly chibi, a mix between regular manga and chibi. I like chibis, but I don't much like their faces.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:42 PM   #1120
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Wow! All these posts since I was on the BDs something like six hours ago! This thread will be closed soon. Who gets to open the new one? I think we'll be the only thread to have a version four. How many versions do you think this thread will have?

Quote:
you are told in english that you are to prepare a presentation speech about ANYTHING you like. and yours is on....TOLKIEN YAY!
YOu just reminded me.... (thanks so much for reminding me of another obssessive thing I did.... last year. In my speech class we were supposed to give speeches about a famous author. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I really wanted to do Tolkien, or C. S. Lewis if I couldn't have Tolkien. But the teacher had me do someone I didn't know very much about. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] so I didn't get to do Tolkien after all (I gave a speech on E. B. White). But someone else in my class gave a Tolkien biography speech, so I listened carefully and mentally corrected them and thought about what I could have done better. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quote:
See my siggy. It's another way to get wierd looks! Yay!
My compliments, because I actually got that from your siggy. I read it and thought that was veyr clever, so I decided to adopt the term for my use, if you don't mind.

Quote:
Mmmmmm..... potatoes.....
Mmmmmm.....

Quote:
Now I am going to draw Sam, and I will try to post my finished pic.
For my sake: make it good. Make it very very good. Work on it as hard as you can. If only I had a scanner, I could show you all my pictures of the hobbits from my weird anime-ish drawing style comic book thing. I have some really cute ones, especially the one of Pippin standing on his head and Sam looking at him questioningly. And the ones where Sam is daydreaming about potatoes. Those are the best.