The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #561
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Finrod and Tuor are not correct. What would that encounter be, that they are most famous for? Finrod could be said to be famous for meetin Men, or Sauron. Tuor's great deeds don't really include encounters, per se, unless you count Ulmo's instruction session. I don't think they share a grand encounter in common.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #562
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Didn't they both meet Ulmo? *confused*

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:42 PM   #563
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Didn't they both meet Ulmo? *confused*
Sure, but how is Finrod meeting Ulmo the thing he is best known for? You are looking for encounters that are both legendary, and, arguably, the greatest points of both kinsmen's lives.

As a further hint, keep looking in the First Age.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:32 AM   #564
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Legendary as in, for instance, Feanor meeting Galadriel and she inspiring him to make Silmarils?

Old 05-30-2021, 02:45 AM   #565
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Oh, wait, a thought occurred to me. Let's see if it's the right one.

And it isn't.

Last edited by Urwen; 05-30-2021 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #566
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, generic possibilities:

- The grandchildren of Finwe and their descendents.

- The house of Elwe and Olwe - Luthien is 1c1r to both Celeborn and Galadriel, for example.

- The early Edain; I wonder whether Beor might be one of the two, perhaps by way of the leader of one of the other houses being called his cousin.

- The late Edain, centred around the cast of the three Great Tales.

All of which come together in the vicinity of Earendil.

I did wonder if it could be Luthien and Idril, but I don't think Her Highness of Doriath is that closely related to the Gondolin crowd.

It might be Luthien and Aredhel, if we believe that Eol is first cousin to Thingol. They both met a man in the woods and thus began the significant parts of their stories. But I think Eol is only "kin" to Elu.

hS
Old 05-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #567
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I thought about Luthien and Arwen, but that doesn't pan out either.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #568
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Legendary as in, for instance, Feanor meeting Galadriel and she inspiring him to make Silmarils?
Legendary as in, for instance, "Feanor made the Silmarils" - a deed that is of great renown, AND arguably the most important deed of his life, if you were to sum it up in one sentence. What is his meeting Galadriel? Details on the margins. You are looking for grand things.

If you are tackling this from the family tree perspective, Hui, here's something: both kinsmen are from the same RACE, but are counted in different sub-groups of that race. (E.g. to clarify with a Third Age example, both Legolas and Glorfindel are Elves, but one is Silvan and the othery is Noldor).
Old 05-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #569
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

So it's the encounter itself that is legendary.

Okay, so...

Beren and Luthien meeting
Tuor meeting Ulmo

and that's it as far as I know...

Old 05-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #570
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Wait, wait, wait. Turin and Earendil are first-cousins once-removed, I believe, and they both slew dragons. And since Turin and Nienor were married, Turin is both Earendil's first-cousin-once-removed and his first-cousin-once-removed-in-law.

How about that?

ETA: Your 'race' comment invalidates that. Bummer...

Last edited by Urwen; 05-30-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #571
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Legendary as in, for instance, "Feanor made the Silmarils" - a deed that is of great renown, AND arguably the most important deed of his life, if you were to sum it up in one sentence. What is his meeting Galadriel? Details on the margins. You are looking for grand things.

If you are tackling this from the family tree perspective, Hui, here's something: both kinsmen are from the same RACE, but are counted in different sub-groups of that race. (E.g. to clarify with a Third Age example, both Legolas and Glorfindel are Elves, but one is Silvan and the othery is Noldor).
O-kay. I think that means it has to be either a Noldo/Sinda pair, or a pair between two of the three Houses of Men.

A poke through the Sindar tree doesn't show anything obvious, so I'm thinking Men. Who are the notable Edain of the First Age?

... ah.

Beren's first cousin is Baragund, father of Morwen. Morwen's husband is Hurin - and Beren and Hurin both encountered Morgoth Bauglir (which went rather better in Beren's case, and that's saying a lot!).

hS
Old 05-30-2021, 01:57 PM   #572
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Come on, one of us has to be right, so which one is it?

Old 05-30-2021, 05:03 PM   #573
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Beren's first cousin is Baragund, father of Morwen. Morwen's husband is Hurin - and Beren and Hurin both encountered Morgoth Bauglir (which went rather better in Beren's case, and that's saying a lot!).
Indeed! Though Hurin arguably had the greater courage, staring down Morgoth and telling him he's a sorry idiot. Beren, if I recall, spent most of the time slinking in the corners or being unconscious. But still, his trip there and back again from Angband is his most famous deed.

Over to you!
Old 06-01-2021, 02:06 AM   #574
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Indeed! Though Hurin arguably had the greater courage, staring down Morgoth and telling him he's a sorry idiot. Beren, if I recall, spent most of the time slinking in the corners or being unconscious. But still, his trip there and back again from Angband is his most famous deed.
Sure, and courage, heroism, glory, and tuppence will get you a tuppenny sweet. The Silm is really down on doing things that get you noticed, isn't it? Like, the #1 combat instruction it gives is "Don't Let The Enemy Notice You".

Quote:
Over to you!
Okay, let's talk inheritance. In general, titles in Middle-earth are passed down father to son - most notably in Aragorn's family, which is pretty much a straight shot back to Silmarien. But sometimes there's a break, and a more distant relative has to take the title.

Treating each title as a separate creation (ie, Elendil is not the heir of Tar-Miriel), and looking only at titles which did not fall into abeyance along the way (ie, Aragorn did not inherit from Isildur), and ignoring non-inherited titles (ie, Mayor of the Shire), who is the most genealogically distant confirmed inheritor of a title in the history of Middle-earth?

(I've found a couple of options, but if someone can outdo them I'll be delighted.)

hS
Old 06-01-2021, 03:05 AM   #575
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Does 'Ring-bearer' count?

Cos if so, Deagol, from Isildur...

Old 06-01-2021, 03:10 AM   #576
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Serious answer though. Since all three (four. ) are distantly related, the title of Numenorean Ruling Queen is shared between Ancalime, Telperien, Vanimelde and Miriel.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:27 AM   #577
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Does 'Ring-bearer' count?

Cos if so, Deagol, from Isildur...
But what was the precise relationship between the two...?

Anyway, no: the title was in abeyance [= disused] in between, not directly inherited. Also I don't think it was an official title, except as used of Frodo.

Quote:
Serious answer though. Since all three (four. ) are distantly related, the title of Numenorean Ruling Queen is shared between Ancalime, Telperien, Vanimelde and Miriel.
Now that's clever, but I don't think it counts - leaving aside whether it's actually a different title to "King of Numenor" (they inherited from and were inhereted by kings), it would be in abeyance in between them.

hS
Old 06-01-2021, 03:31 AM   #578
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

By your initial wording, it does count, since you never specified it cannot be in abeyance in your initial post.

But I like a challenge, so I will keep looking anyway.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:37 AM   #579
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

So Earnil inherited the title from Ondoher, and they're distantly related.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:11 AM   #580
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
By your initial wording, it does count, since you never specified it cannot be in abeyance in your initial post.

But I like a challenge, so I will keep looking anyway.
I did in the final question, though not discussed in the preamble. It was the last bit I added in before posting. (The edit was because I'd spelt 'tuppenny' with one N.)

Quote:
So Earnil inherited the title from Ondoher, and they're distantly related.
And that's the most distant answer I found too. Kind of disappointed it wasn't something more obscure! I was inspired by the time the crown of France was passed to a line that had split off three centuries earlier.

The other option, rather more dubious, is Gil-Galad: if he's the son of Orodreth son of Angrod, then he would be first cousin twice removed to the previous High King, Turgon.

hS
Old 06-01-2021, 04:15 AM   #581
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

So do I get a turn or no?

Old 06-01-2021, 05:27 AM   #582
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
So do I get a turn or no?
I'm sorry, I'm afraid the next six turns have been sold to Amazon; they're creating a series of puzzles about the previously-unknown Heirs of Miriel which should be released sometime in 2025.

Yes, it's your turn.

hS
Old 06-01-2021, 06:07 AM   #583
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm afraid the next six turns have been sold to Amazon; they're creating a series of puzzles about the previously-unknown Heirs of Miriel which should be released sometime in 2025.

hS

Let me guess, Mabur, Mahur, Magur, Masur and Faramir.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:08 AM   #584
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Okay, so there are two known members of Elros' line who lost the throne that was rightfully theirs. How many 'generations' (loosely speaking) are between them?

Last edited by Urwen; 06-01-2021 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:23 AM   #585
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Let me guess, Mabur, Mahur, Magur, Masur and Faramir.
Oh, you saw the press release too!

Quote:
Okay, so there are two known members of Elros' line who lost the throne that was rightfully theirs. How many 'generations' (loosely speaking) are between them?
Hmm. One must be Tar-Miriel, but after that... Tar-Alcarin, whose sceptre was siezed by his dad? There are seven Kings of Numenor between Alcarin and Miriel (plus them makes nine).

Or is this about Silmarien, who should have been Ruling Queen had Numenor had better laws? Probably not, but there's 20 generations (ish) between her and Miriel.

... I've only just now realised that Tar-Meneldur from the Aldarion and Erendis story is Silmarien's brother. He... really didn't want to be king, did he? He holed himself up in a tower in Forostar, then abdicated as soon as an excuse came along. I kinda like him.

hS
Old 06-01-2021, 06:33 AM   #586
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Proceed.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #587
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Proceed.
So... um... which answer was it? I gave two.

Okay, so: What is the familial relationship between Frodo and Sam?

hS
Old 06-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #588
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
So... um... which answer was it? I gave two.

The first one

Old 06-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #589
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Can't find anything that suggest that they're even related...

Old 06-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #590
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Unless this is a trick question and you mean the other one, in which case, they're father and son.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #591
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Can't find anything that suggest that they're even related...
They are, by marriage.

Quote:
Unless this is a trick question and you mean the other one, in which case, they're father and son.
Does it say "hobbitses" in our usernames, preciousss? We're not tricksy, no, not us!

hS
Old 06-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #592
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I think I found a link, but it's a long one.

Let's see: son-in-law's father's grandfather's grandson's great-grandfather's grandson.

Yea, a bit convoluted...

Old 06-01-2021, 02:08 PM   #593
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
I think I found a link, but it's a long one.

Let's see: son-in-law's father's grandfather's grandson's great-grandfather's grandson.

Yea, a bit convoluted...
That seems to be right, but you took a more complex route than me! Faramir and Frodo are both direct descendants from the Old Took, so in fact Sam is father-in-law to Frodo's second cousin twice removed.

Your version went through Merry, right? Thus neatly linking all four of the Fellowship Hobbits.

Over to you.

hS
Old 06-01-2021, 02:16 PM   #594
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Two related people performed the same kind of 'grand deed'. Who are they and how are they related?

Old 06-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #595
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Two related people performed the same kind of 'grand deed'. Who are they and how are they related?
Well, let's try the hobbit take on this one. Bilbo and Frodo both left the Shire to save Bigger People in distant lands, and returned home. Though the grand deed by Shire reckoning is as likely to be that they managed to reclaim Bag-End after all the weirdness. Relationship: errm, second cousons once removed?
Old 06-02-2021, 02:04 AM   #596
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Nope.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #597
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Finwe and Fingolfin are father and son and both faced Morgoth (and died).

Earnil and Earnur are father and son and both fought the Lord of the Nazgul.

Durin III is the direct (and distant) ancestor of Dain, and they both faced Durin's Bane (though only Dain lived).

Arvedui is Aragorn's ancestor; both fought the Nazgul.

Elros is the ancestor of Elendil; both sailed over the sea and founded great kingdoms of the Edain.

Beren and Tuor are, what, first cousins twice removed? Both married Elven women and had half-elven sons.

Feanor is Earendil's great-great-uncle; both sailed across the Great Sea to alter the course of the First Age at one of its ends.

Beren is many-times-great-grandfather to Isildur, and both cut a Dark Lord to get some jewellery.

Namo and Irmo are brothers, and both sang in the Music of the Ainur.

Are we following Bilbo's rules where "just guess randomly" is a viable puzzle, or is there a clue hidden somewhere in the question? I can't find 'grand deed' as a canonical descriptor, and that's the only thing that would seem to fit.

hS
Old 06-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #598
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Well, the great deed is something one is famous for, while the other also happened to do it.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #599
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Well, the great deed is something one is famous for, while the other also happened to do it.
Well, unless you're gonna be more specific, it might as well be Primula Baggins and Deagol, (very) distant kin whose most well-known life event is toppling into a river.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #600
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Nope. These two were already mentioned, on this exact page.