The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #1
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Quote “Touching your cap to the squire may be damn bad for the squire but it’

Does anyone know what he meant by this?
Old 01-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

It means that demonstrating respect and offering your service to somebody other than yourself is good for your soul because it gets you thinking about serving something outside your selfish desires.

But offering that respect and service to a human being is likely to make that human being an even worse and more selfish person than they were already.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:05 AM   #3
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Squire" in this sense is used to mean "lord of the manor" (rather than "knight's armour-bearer"). The image is of offering respect to someone who only 'deserves' it through accident of birth, rather than by having earned it through their deeds. As Kuruharan says, whether or not the 'squire' is already obnoxious, getting unearned respect is going to push them that way.

Showing that respect - almost especially to someone who doesn't deserve it - is an act of humility. Given that Tolkien's greatest heroes - Bilbo, and especially Frodo and Sam - are kind of innately humble, I think we can take this as an attribute he was in favour of.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
than by having earned it through their deeds
I'd argue that even people who have earned it through their deeds are just as prone to arrogance as anybody else.

They may just have a different set of pitfalls.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
It means that demonstrating respect and offering your service to somebody other than yourself is good for your soul because it gets you thinking about serving something outside your selfish desires.

But offering that respect and service to a human being is likely to make that human being an even worse and more selfish person than they were already.
Interesting thanks.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
"Contrary to what most people feel, touching your cap to the squire may be damn bad for the squire but it's damn good for you."
Tolkien was fairly Victorian in worldview. The old forms were his comfort zone. He rarely went to see films, didn't drive a car, and was a devout Pre-Vatican II Catholic.

Thus "touching your cap" (ie., saluting or doffing a cap), which originated as "touching/tugging one's forelock", a sign of reverent deference from a vassal to a seigneur, was good in Tolkien's estimation as a sign of his own humility. It was bad for the squire because in essence it fed his ego, and was anything but humble, particularly if the squire expected such deference from his cottagers.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:22 AM   #7
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Tolkien was fairly Victorian in worldview. The old forms were his comfort zone. He rarely went to see films, didn't drive a car, and was a devout Pre-Vatican II Catholic.

Thus "touching your cap" (ie., saluting or doffing a cap), which originated as "touching/tugging one's forelock", a sign of reverent deference from a vassal to a seigneur, was good in Tolkien's estimation as a sign of his own humility. It was bad for the squire because in essence it fed his ego, and was anything but humble, particularly if the squire expected such deference from his cottagers.
Thanks much.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
paulag
Banned

paulag has just left Hobbiton.
I take touching your cap to the squire as to mean simply showing respect to someone above you

Last edited by paulag; 02-18-2021 at 10:48 PM.
paulag is offline   Reply With Quote