Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Fan Fiction > Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2022, 02:11 PM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Eagle Song by Windfola First Posted February 8, 2004

This is a wonderful tale of the Riddermark that features not only Theoden, but also his father, Thengel, and Thorongil (also known as Aragorn).

While the author is listed as Windfola, I note that the story was posted by Barrow-Wight and we do not seem to have a member using Windfola as a nickname. Perhaps, if the Wight stops by, he can shed some light upon this, if he can recall what happened 18 years ago.

Note that "mearh" is used as the singular version of mearas. I do not recall this word used in LoTR, but I did some research and found that it is old english, and otherwise seems appropriate. As a result, I did not edit the usage of "mearh."

Enjoy!
Old 09-24-2022, 08:23 AM   #2
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh that was lovely. I feel like the writer, whoever they may turn out to be, really understood horses. The view into the pre-LotR court of Edoras was fascinating too; there's a skill in taking names from genealogies and turning them into real people who help turn their children into the characters we know they will be. (And Shadowfax as Thengel's horse just adds another layer to Theoden's later resentment!)

I feel like the naming was also spot-on here; I've just come from Withgisl's Tale, where the names stood out as a bit unlikely, but everything here could have come straight from Tolkien or the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles.

hS