The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
BetonyBree

Question Can anyone help me find info on tengwar divination or the tresco manuscript?

I am trying to develop a divination rune set based on tengwar symbols. I have found one site that describes esoteric meanings of the tengwar symbols, but it seems to be the only one. So i would really like to find some more sources to have a more solid foundation to go on.
Also, these descriptions are said to have some from the Tresco Manuscript, which includes the 'Parma Taratirion', book of visions. Does anyone know about this manuscript? Does anyone know where it comes from? I mean really. Not that it comes from an island where they were building an abbey, translated into old english by this guy Finan in the 7th century after it was rewritten in elvish by someone researching the original author some 3000 yrs ago... Can anyone help me?
Old 08-25-2003, 01:45 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, BetonyBree! I can't answer your first question, but the reason for your status as "newly deceased" is answered along with other frequently asked questions on the Forum FAQ thread. For additional information on posting on this forum, please read the Forum Policies thread. (Both can be found at the top of this [Novices and Newcomers] forum's main page.) If you have more questions about the forum that aren't answered there, please feel free to PM me or one of the other moderators. Enjoy yourself here!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 11:22 AM   #3
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The "Tresco Manuscript", so far as I know, was a story written by tarot enthusiasts to create a Tolkien-based background for tarot reading. That's about all I know or recall. It is basically a form of fan-fiction.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:12 AM   #4
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

What Mithadan said was probably correct, but I found some pages on the manuscript which say that it's authentic... here's the link: http://alt-tolkien.com/tms.html

~Scott
Old 08-26-2003, 12:54 PM   #5
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

From another website addressing the "Tresco Manuscript":

Quote:
New Middle-earth is a secondary, sub-created world. To all intents and purposes it is identical to the primary world we all inhabit, with one important exception: within it the Middle-earth related by the late Professor JRR Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings is not fiction, but historically true.
The "Tresco Manuscript" is part of an intellectual exercise attempting to extrapolate a post-Third Age "history" under the basic assumption that Tolkien was a translator, not an author of fiction. Nonetheless, it is a work of "sub-creation" or fiction.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:02 PM   #6
Adastrea
Animated Skeleton

Adastrea has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The names of the Tengwar may help you decide on the meaning i.e Tengwar No 19 is Noldo "Wise" or Tengwar No 20 Nwalme "Torment" http://wwwusers.imaginet.fr/~smartin.../index_eng.htm
is where I learnt my tengwar and should be helpful for you (names in Sind. and Q)