The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2003, 11:38 AM   #41
Eru
Haunting Spirit

Eru has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eru
Shield

Quote:
Then Fingolfin beheld (as it seemed to him) the utter ruin of the NOlder, and the defeat beyond redress of all their houses; and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Orome himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.
Carrun- i love this too. that whole entire part was cool.

yes, i know that passage about Turin is somewhat shaky, never-the-less, it was written, and it is a very powerful passage. i love it.

Quote:
But even as the vanguard of Maidros cames upon the Orcs, Morgoth let losse his last strength, and hell was emptied. There came wolves and serpents, and there came Balrogs one thousand, and there came Glomund the Father of Dragons.
just imagine that. A huge dragon, coupled with a thousand Balrogs. you know what kinda images spring into mind? crazy!

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Eru ]
Old 02-03-2003, 01:23 PM   #42
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Here's two awesome moments from the lives of my two favorite characters, Feanor and Turin.

Turin-
But as he stood, finding himself free, and ready to sell his life dearly against imagined foes, there came a great flash of lightning above them; and in its light he looked down on Beleg's face. Then Turin stood alone stone-still and silent, staring on that dreadful death, knowing what he had done; and so terrible was his face, lit by the lightning that flickered all about them, that Gwindor cowered down upon the ground and dared not raise his eyes.

Feanor-
Then turning to the herald he cried: 'Say this to Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot overthrow Morgoth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it. Yea, in the end they shall follow me. Farewell!'
In that hour the voice of Feanor grew so great and so potent that even the herald of the Valar bowed before him as one full-answered, and departed; and the Noldor were over-ruled.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:40 PM   #43
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
But Thingol perceived their hearts, and saw well that desiring the Silmaril they sought but a pretext and fair cloak for their true intent; and in his wrath and pride he gave no heed to his peril, but spoke to them in scorn, saying: 'How do ye of uncouth race dare to demand aught of me, Elu Thingol, Lord of Beleriand, whose life began by the waters of Cuiviénen years uncounted ere the fathers of the stunted people awoke?' And standing tall and proud among them he bade them with shameful words be gone unrequited out of Doriath.

Then the lust of the Dwarves was kindled to rage by the words of the King; and they rose up about him, and laid hands on him, and slew him as he stood. So died in the deep places of Menegroth Elwë Singollo, King of Doriath, who alone of all the Children of Ilúvatar was joined with one of the Ainur; and he who, alone of the Forsaken Elves, had seen the light of the Trees of Valinor, with his last sight gazed upon the Silmaril.

[...]

Upon Doriath a heavy change had fallen. Melian sat long in silence beside Thingol the King, and her thought passed back into the starlit years and to their first meeting among the nightingales of Nan Elmoth in ages past; and she knew that her parting from Thingol was the forerunner of a greater parting, and that the doom of Doriath was drawing nigh. For Melian was of the divine race of the Valar, and she was a Maia of great power and wisdom; but for love of Elwë Singollo she took upon herself the form of the Elder Children of Ilúvatar, and in that union she became bound by the chain and trammels of the flesh of Arda. In that form she bore to him Lúthien Tinúviel; and in that form she gained a power over the substance of Arda, and by the Girdle of Melian was Doriath defended through long ages from the evils without. But now Thingol lay dead, and his spirit had passed to the halls of Mandos; and with his death a change came also upon Melian. Thus it came to pass that her power was withdrawn in that time from the forests of Neldoreth and Region, and Esgalduin the enchanted river spoke with a different voice, and Doriath lay open to its enemies.

Thereafter Melian spoke to none save to Mablung only, bidding him take heed to the Silmaril, and to send word speedily to Beren and Lúthien in Ossiriand; and she vanished out of Middle-earth, and passed to the land of the Valar beyond the western sea, to muse upon her sorrows in the gardens of Lórien, whence she came, and this tale speaks of her no more

Thus it was that the host of the Naugrim crossing over Aros passed unhindered into the woods of Doriath; and none withstood them, for they were many and fierce, and the captains of the Grey-elves were cast into doubt and despair, and went hither and thither purposeless. But the Dwarves held on their way, and passed over the great bridge, and entered into Menegroth; and there befell a thing most grievous among the sorrowful deeds of the Elder Days. For there was battle in the Thousand Caves, and many Elves and Dwarves were slain; and it has not been forgotten. But the Dwarves were victorious, and the halls of Thingol were ransacked and plundered. There fell Mablung of the Heavy Hand before the doors of the treasury wherein lay the Nauglamír; and the Silmaril was taken.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:17 PM   #44
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Falagar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Phantom-That (Fëanor) is one of my favorite lines too.
And Lalaiths too, ("Last of all Hurin stood...")

I would also like to add this:
Quote:
There all that company turneded, and lo! The plain is clear and smiling in the last light as of old; but afar off as they gazed a great flare shot up against the darkened north-and that was the fall of the last tower of Gondolin, even that which had stood hard by the southern gate, and whose shadow fell oft across the walls of Tuor's house. Then sank the sun, and they saw Gondolin no more.
(from BoLT2)

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Falagar ]
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:34 PM   #45
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Here's one of my favorites, from the fifth battle...

And seeing this all the host of the Noldor was set on fire, and Fingon put on his white helm and sounded his trumpets, and all the host of Hithlum leapt forth from the hills in sudden onslaught. The light of the drawing of the swords of the Noldor was like a fire in a field of reeds; and so fell and swift was their onset that almost the designs of Morgoth went astray. Before the army that he sent westward could be strengthened it was swept away, and the banners of Fingon passed over Angfauglith and were raised before the walls of Angband. Ever in the forefront of that battle went Gwindor and the elves of Nargothrond, and even now they could not be restrained; and they burst through the Gate and slew the guards upon the very stairs of Angband, and Morgoth trembled upon his deep throne, hearing them beat upon his doors.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:08 PM   #46
Eru
Haunting Spirit

Eru has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eru
Shield

Then hope was renewedin the hearts of the Elves. And in that hour the trumpets of Maidros were heard coming coming from the East, and the banners of the Sons of Feanor and their allies came up on the flank of the Enemy. And some have said that even now the Elves might have won the day, had all been faithful; for the Orcs wavered, and their onslaught was stayed, and already some were turning in flight.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:20 PM   #47
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"... and Elves and Dwarves together, each with their own skill, there wrought out the visions of Melian, images of the wonder and beauty of Valinor beyond the Sea."

"The maiden whom the Valar chose from among the Maiar to guide the vessel of the Sun was named Arien, and he that steered the island of the Moon was Tilion.....Arien the maiden was mightier than he, and she was chosen because she had not feared the heats of Laurelin, and was unhurt by them, being from the beginning a spirit of fire, whom Melkor had not deceived nor drawn to his service. Too bright were the eyes of Arien for even the Eldar to look on, and leaving Valinor she forsook the form and raiment which like the Valar she had worn there,and she was as a naked flame, terrible in the fullness of her splendour."

I just love the description.... Arien is like an element, she's raw power, and she's one of those independant women it's fun to have around. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2003, 10:03 AM   #48
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

" No cloud nor mist lay there, and looking down, Luthien saw far below, as a white light starting from a green jewel, the radiance of Gondolin the fair where Turgon dwelt."

" Aure entuluva!"
"Day shall come again"-Hurin Thalion.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:34 PM   #49
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

i like the line in the silmarilian, when feanor is speaking to finglofin: "see half brother this is sharper than thy tounge, try just once more to surp me from my fathers love and maybe, it will rid the noldor of one who seeks to be master of thralls"
Old 02-04-2003, 06:22 PM   #50
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
There,peeping among the cloudwrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thort pierced him that in the end the shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:16 AM   #51
stefanie claeys

Silmaril

for me, the most powerful lines are the ones in elvish:

A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna miriel
o menel aglar elenath
na-chaered palandiriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon
Old 02-05-2003, 01:50 PM   #52
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned this one yet. I'm quite partial to it myself:

Quote:
Then Beren lay upon the ground in a swoon, as one slain at once by bliss and grief; and he fell into a sleep as it were into an abyss of shadow, and waking he was cold as stone, and his heart barren and forsaken. And wandering in mind he groped as one that is stricken with sudden blindness, and seeks with hands to grasp the vanished light. Thus he began the payment of anguish for the fate that was laid on him; and in his fate Lúthien was caught, and being immortal she shared in his mortality, and being free received his chain; and her anguish was greater than any other of the Eldalië has known.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:22 AM   #53
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The speaker is Pengolodh citing a 'saying' of Rumil:

Quote:
For the tounges of the and voices of the Valar are great and stern, and yet also swift and subtle in movement, making sounds that we find hard to counterfeit; and their words are mostly rapid, like the glitter of long swords, like the rush of leaves in a great wind or the fall of stones in the mountains.
Pengolodh comments [ and I love this!]'Palinly the effect of Valarin upon Elvish ears was not pleasing'.

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:50 AM   #54
Elf of the Wand

Sting

Then said Rog in a great voice: "Who now shall fear the Balrogs for all their terror? See before us the accursed ones who for ages have tormented the children of the Noldoli, and who now set a fire at our backs with their shooting. Come ye of the Hammer of Wrath and we will smite them for their evil." Thereupon he lifted his mace, and its handle was long; and he made a way before him by the wrath of his onset even unto the fallen gate: but all the people of the stricken anvil ran behind like a wedge, and sparks came from their eyes for the fury of their rage. A great deed was that sally, as the Noldoli sing yet, and many of the Orcs were borne backward into the fires below; but the men of Rog leapt upon the coils of the serpents and came at those Balrogs and smote them grievously, for all they had whips of flame and claws of steel, and were in stature very great. They battered them into nought, or catching at their whips wielded these against them,that they tore them even as they had aforetime torn the Gnomes; and the number of Balrogs that perished was a marvel and dread to the hosts of Melko, fore ere that day never had any of the Balrogs been slain by the hand of Elves or Men.

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: Elf of the Wand ]
Old 04-08-2003, 10:35 AM   #55
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the line that is in my signature. I dont remember the exact words on FOTR, heres what Galadriel had to say in the movie (a shorter version of the original text):

"In place of a Dark Lord you will have a Queen!
Not dark but beautiufl and terrible as the dawn!
Treacherous as the sea!
Stronger than the foundations of the Earth!
All shall love me and despair"
Old 04-08-2003, 11:51 AM   #56
Adamathamariel
Pile O'Bones

Adamathamariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Rohan had come at last
Adamathamariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #57
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Slowly his hand went to his bosom and slowly he held aloft the Phial of Galadriel. For a moment it glimmered, faint as a rising star struggling in heavy earthward mists, and then as its power waxed, and hope grew in Frodo's mind, it began to burn, and kindled to a silver flame, a minute heart of dazzeling light, as though Earendil had himself come down from the high sunset paths with the last Simaril upon his brow. " and you ring-bearer," she said, turning to Frodo. "I come to you last who are not Last in my thoughts. For you I have prepared this." She held up a small crystal phial: it glittered as she moved it, and rays of white light sprang from her hand. " In this Phial," she said," Is caught the light of Earendil's star, set amid the waters of my fountain. It will shine still brighter when night is about you. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out. Remember Galadriel and Her Mirror!
Frodo took the Phial, and for a moment as it shone between them he saw her again standing like a queen, great and beautiful, but no longer terrible. He bowed, but found no words to say.

Tolkein is just full of beautiful Passages and Paragraphs. I can't find my simarillion at the moment or I would write some of those also.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:03 PM   #58
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Quote:
"The brief glow fell upon a huge sitting figure, still and solemn as the great stone kings of Argonath. The years had gnawed it, and violent hands had maimed it. ... Suddenly, caught by the level beams, Frodo saw the old king's head: it was lying rolled away by the roadside. 'Look, Sam!' he cried, startled into speech. 'Look! The king has got a crown again!'

The eyes were hollow and the carven beard was broken, but about the high stern forehead there was a coronal of silver and gold. A trailing plant with flowers like small white stars had bound itself across the brows as if in reverence for the fallen king, and in the crevices of his stony hair the yellow stonecrop gleamed.

'they cannot conquer forever!' said Frodo."
I've mentioned this passage before, but I love it, so I thought it was worth putting here too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:38 AM   #59
Ancalagon'sFire
Animated Skeleton

Ancalagon'sFire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My personal favourite;
Quote:
'Authority is not given to you, Steward of Gondor, to order the hour of your death,' answered Gandalf. 'And only the heathen kings, under the domination of the Dark Power, did thus, slaying themselves in pride and despair, murdering their kin to ease their own death.'
Another line;
Quote:
'Ye have abjured Me, but ye remain Mine. I gave you life. Now it shall be shortened, and each of you in a little while shall come to Me, to learn who is your Lord: the one ye worship, or I who made him.'
Finally, although a vision, its potency is apparent;
Quote:
And thereupon Ulmo lifted up a mighty horn, and blew upon it a single great note, to which the roaring of the storm was but a wind-flaw upon a lake. And as he heard that note, and was encompassed by it, and filled with it, it seemed to Tuor that the coasts of Middle-earth vanished, and he surveyed all the waters of the world in a great vision: from the veins of the lands to the mouths of the rivers, and from the strands and estuaries out into the deep. The Great Sea he saw through its unquiet regions teeming with strange forms, even to its lightless depths, in which amid the everlasting darkness there echoed voices terrible to mortal ears. Its measureless plains he surveyed with the swift sight of the Valar, lying windless under the eye of Anar, or glittering under the horned Moon, or lifted in hills of wrath that broke upon the Shadowy Isles," until remote upon the edge of sight, and beyond the count of leagues, he glimpsed a mountain, rising beyond his mind's reach into a shining cloud, and at its feet a long surf glimmering. And even as he strained to hear the sound of those far waves, and to see clearer that distant light, the note ended, and he stood beneath the thunder of the storm, and lightning many-branched rent asunder the heavens above him. And Ulmo was gone, and the sea was in tumult, as the wild waves of Ossë rode against the walls of Nevrast.
Great thread [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Ancalagon'sFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:24 AM   #60
Bunko

Sting

A quote that I always remember is when Gandelf is explaining to Frodo about Gollum in the shadow of the past and Frodo says that Bilbo should have killed Gollum when he had the chance "he deserves death"

Gandelf replies

"Deserves it, I dare say he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal outh death in judgment. For not even the very wise can see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it. And he is bound up with the fate of the ring, my heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill before the end. And when it comes the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many"

- Classic Gandelf
Old 04-16-2003, 04:46 AM   #61
Novhloke
Pile O'Bones

Novhloke has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novhloke
Sting

I like this quote, btw do you have a site with LotR quotes?

"Therefore Morgoth came, climbing slowly from his subterranean throne, and the rumour of his feet was like thunder underground. And he issued forth clad in black armour; and he stood before the king like a tower, iron-crowned and his vast shield, sable unblazoned, cast a shadow over him like a storm cloud. But Fingolfin gleamed beneath it like a star;for his mail was overlaid with silver, and his blue shield was set with crystals; and he drew his sword Ringil, and it glittered like ice, cold and gray and deadly."

"Last of all Hurin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed; and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered, and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive..."

"Never for long had hope died in his staunch heart, and always until now he had taken some thought for their return. But the bitter truth came home to him at last: at best their provisions would take then to their goal; and when the task was done, there they would come to an end, alone, houseless, foodless in the midst of a terrible desert. There could be no return."

"Come not between the nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bare thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured and thy shriviled mind be left naked to the lidless eye."

[ April 16, 2003: Message edited by: Novhloke ]
Old 04-23-2003, 09:46 PM   #62
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Powerful? You want power?!
Quote:
Get out, you old Wight! Vanish in the Sunlight!
Nobody messes with Bombadil on his home turf. You wouldn't get Saruman busting out such great magic wearing yellow boots and a bright blue jacket!
Old 04-27-2003, 10:09 AM   #63
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales are full of great lines, I'd still have to say this:

"I have come," he said. "But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!"
Old 04-27-2003, 01:39 PM   #64
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Thanks Schmendrick [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I love that line too, and I always forget the obvious great ones cause I'm trying to look smart and find the subtle great ones *blushes*

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 07:33 PM   #65
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I found the death of Feanor very tragic and I actually re-read this paragraph several times for it to sink in.

"Then his sons raised up their father and bore him back towards Mithrim. But as they drew near to Eithel Sirion and were upon the upward path to the pass over the mountains, Feanor bade them halt; for his wounds were mortal, and he knew that his hour was come. And looking out from the slopes of Ered Wethrim with his last sight he beheld far off the peaks of Thangorodim, mightiest of the towers of Middle-earth, and knew with the foreknowledge of death that no power of the Noldor would ever overthrow them; but he cursed the name of Morgoth thrice, and laid it upon his sons to hold to their oath, and to avenge their father. Then he died; but he had neither burial nor tomb, for so fiery was his spirit that as it sped his body fell to ash, and was borne away like smoke; and his likeness has never again appeared in Arda, neither has his spirit left the halls of Mandos. Thus ended the mightiest of the Noldor, of whose deeds came both their greatest renown and their most grievous woe."

All I can say is wow.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:15 PM   #66
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

So far, this quote is by far my favourite, as it describes feelings that are so hard to put into words.

Quote:
And all the host laughed and wept, and in the midst of their merriment and tears the clear voice of the minstrel rose like silver and gold, and all men were hushed. And he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
One more...
Quote:
In western lands beneath the Sun
the flowers may rise in the Spring,
the trees may bud, the waters run,
the merry finches sing.
Or there maybe 'tis cloudless night
and swaying beeches bear
the Elven-stars as jewels white
amid their branching hair.
Though here at journey's end I lie
in darkness buried deep,
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars forever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Peace
Old 05-15-2003, 09:35 AM   #67
ainur
Haunting Spirit

ainur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This one always gets me. I'm surprised that in nearly 3 years of posting on this thread, no one has mentioned it:

Quote:
"Frodo, Mr. Frodo!" he called. "Don't leave me here alone! It's your Sam calling. Don't go where I can't follow! Wake up, Mr. Frodo! O wake up, Frodo, me dear, me dear. Wake up!"

Then anger surged over him, and he ran about his master's body in a rage, stabbing the air, and smiting the stones, and shouting challenges. Presently he came back, and bending looked at Frodo's face, pale beneath him in the dusk. And suddenly he saw that he was in the picture that was revealed to him in the mirror of Galadriel in Lorien: Frodo with a pale face lying fast asleep under a great dark cliff. Or fast asleep he had thought then. "He's dead!" he said. "Not asleep, dead!" And as he said it, as if the words had set the venom to its work again, it seemed to him that the hue of the face grew livid green.
And then black despair came down on him, and Sam bowed to the ground, and drew his grey hood over his head, and night came into his heart, and he knew no more.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:50 PM   #68
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

I think almost everything Gandalf says is very powerful. Off the top of my head, the whole scene where he confronts Saruman.

Quote:
I am not Gandalf the Grey whom you betrayed, I am Gandalf the White who has returned from death.
And then the quote that was already mentioned when Saruman's staff breakes.

Also...

Quote:
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then don't be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Another is...

Quote:
We meet again. At the turn of the tide. A great storm os coming, but the tide has turned.
Well that's all that I can think of right now. I'll post more if I remember some.

-Olórin
Old 05-18-2003, 01:26 PM   #69
Hans Markus Rod
Pile O'Bones

Hans Markus Rod has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Blind you are Morgoth bauglir, and blind shall ever be, seeing only the dark. You know not what rules the hearts of Men, and if you knew you could not give it. But a fool is he who accepts what Morgoth offers. You will take first the price and then withold the promise; and I should get only death, if I told you what you ask"

Hùrin son of Galdor
Old 08-12-2003, 03:59 PM   #70
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Quote:
White was that ship and long was it a-building, and long it awaited the end of which Círdan had spoken. But when all these things were done, and the Heir of Isildur had taken up the lordship of Men, and the dominion of the West had passed to him, then it was made plain that the power of the Three Rings also was ended, and to the Firstborn the world grew old and grey. In that time the last of the Noldor set sail from the Havens and left Middle-earth for ever. And latest of all the Keepers of the Three Rings rode to the Sea, and Master Elrond took there the ship that Círdan had made ready. In the twilight of autumn it sailed out of Mithlond, until the seas of the Bent World fell away beneath it, and the winds of the round sky troubled it no more, and borne upon the high airs above the mists of the world it passed into the Ancient West, and an end was come for the Eldar of story and of song.
. The End of Silmarillion. This has such a powerful finality about it. (one that LOTR lacks, IMO).

Quote:
For the Dúnedain held that even mortal Men, if so blessed, might look upon other times than those of their bodies' life; and they longed ever to escape from the shadows of their exile and to see in some fashion fee light that dies not; for the sorrow of the thought of death had pursued them over the deeps of the sea. Thus it was that great mariners among them would still search the empty seas, hoping to come upon the Isle of Meneltarma, and there to see a vision of things that were. But they found it not. And those that sailed far came only to the new lands, and found them like to the old lands, and subject to death. And those that sailed furthest set but a girdle about the Earth and returned weary at last to the place of their beginning; and they said:
'All roads are now bent.'
Aragorn prophetic words at Helm's deep (shame for not putting it in the movie):
Quote:
"I looked out to see the dawn", said Aragorn.
"what of the dawn?" they jeered. "we are the Uruk-hai: we do not stop fighting for night or day, for fair weather or for storm. We come to kill, by sun or moon. What of the dawn?"
"None knows what the new day shall bring him", said Aragorn. "Get you gone ere it turn to your evil."
"Get down or we will shoot you from the wall,"they cried."This is no parley. We have nothing to say.
"I have still this to say", answered Aragorn. "No enemy has yet taken the Hornburg. Depart, or not one of you will be spared. Not one will be left alive to take back tidings to the North. You do not know your peril."
Quote:
Light sprang in the sky. Night departed.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #71
Måns
Haunting Spirit

Måns has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am shocked than none of these two have yet come up but here they are, in all their glory!

"And standing at last upon a high rock he looked towards Gondolin and called in a great voice: 'Turgon, Turgon , remember the Fen of Serech! O Turgon, will you not hear in your hidden halls?' But there was no sound save the wind in the dry grasses. 'Even so they hissed in Serech at the sunset,' he said; and as he spoke the sun went down behind the mountains of Shadow, and a darkness fell aobut him, and the wind ceased, and there was silence in the waste."

Tolkien's own favourite: "Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothign of wizardry or war, welcoming only hte morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn. And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In the dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last."

Måns, the one that hates o quote [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Josef Stalin
Måns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:07 AM   #72
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is strange that nobody has quoted this before, as one of the more powerful poems; maybe it was too obvious [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Three Rings for the Elven kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his Dark Throne,
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie,
One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One ring to bring them all,
And in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:01 AM   #73
Firnantoonion
Haunting Spirit

Firnantoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

and how about the line when Fingolfin battles with morgoth? I know it not precisely, but wasn't it something like:

and seven times, Fingolfin stroke, like lightning shooting from under a dark cloud and seven times Morgoth cried out loud and each time his hosts shuddered with anguish

(or something like that [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])
Old 08-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #74
Palan
Pile O'Bones

Palan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most of the battle of Morgoth and Fingolfin has been quoted, except for these two lines, I believe, "Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-Kings of old. The Orcs made no boast of that duel at the gate; neither do the Elves sing of it, for their sorrow is too deep." For me, this is one of the saddest lines in all of the books.
Palan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:28 PM   #75
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I don't know if this has been done yet, but I like it when Aragorn says that it was as if he strayed into a dream when he first saw Arwen (Appendices). It's not really "Powerful", but it is sweet and very poetic, which can be powerful in its own small way.

Imladris

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:43 PM   #76
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I think that you might have this quotation in mind:
Quote:
The next day at the hour of sunset Aragorn walked alone in the woods, and his heart was high within him; and he sang, for he was full of hope and the world was fair. And suddenly even as he sang he saw a maiden walking on a greensward among the white stems of the birches; and he halted amazed, thinking that he had strayed into a dream, or else that he had received the gift of the Elf-minstrels, who can make the things of which they sing appear before the eyes of those that listen.
But it's worth continuing the narrative for these lines, which are also worthy of a place on this thread:
Quote:
For Aragorn had been singing a part of the Lay of Lúthien which tells of the meeting of Lúthien and Beren in the forest of Neldoreth. And behold! there Lúthien walked before his eyes in Rivendell, clad in a mantle of silver and blue, fair as the twilight in Elven-home; her dark hair strayed in a sudden wind, and her brows were bound with gems like stars.

For a moment Aragorn gazed in silence, but fearing that she would pass away and never be seen again, he called to her crying, Tinúviel, Tinúviel! even as Beren had done in the Elder Days long ago.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:00 AM   #77
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Gil-galad was an Elvenking,
of whom the harpers sadly sing,
The last whose realm was fair and free
between the mountains and the sea.
Gil-galad, always seemed like such an enigma to me. I mean, the son of Fingon must have been a great Elf. Strange how he didn't find a spouse to continue the lineage of the Noldorin Kings in Middle Earth. Too bad the Lay of Gil-galad was never completed by Tolkien [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
And whatever happened to Aiglos the 'ice spear.' Was it lost in the end of the Second Age?

[ August 14, 2003: Message edited by: Maéglin ]
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 06:46 AM   #78
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Here are some words from the Akallabeth:
Quote:
The Doom of the World, they said, One alone can change who made it. And were you so to voyage that escaping all deceits and snares you came indeed to Aman, the Blessed Realm, little would it profit you. For it is not the land of Manwe that makes its people deathless, but the Deathless that dwell therein have hallowed the land; and there you would but wither and grow weary the sooner, as moths in a light too strong and steadfast.
Indeed, the mind of Iluvatar concerning you is not known to the Valar, and he has not revealed all things that are to come. But this we hold to be true, that your home is not here, neither in the Land of Aman nor anywhere within the Circles of the World. And the Doom of Men, that they should depart, was at first a gift of Iluvatar. It became a grief to them only because coming under the shadow of Morgoth it seemed to them that they were surrounded by great darkness, of which they were afraid; and some grew wilful and proud and would not yield, until life was reft from them. We who bear the ever-mounting burden of the years do not clearly understand this; but if that grief has returned to trouble you, as you say, then we fear that the Shadow arises once more and grows again in your hearts. Therefore, though you be the Dunedain, fairest of Men, who escaped from the Shadow of old and fought valiantly against it, we say to you: Beware! The will of Eru may not be gainsaid; and the Valar bid you earnestly not to withhold the trust to which you are called, lest soon it become again a bond by which you are constrained. Hope rather that in the end even the least of your desires shall have fruit. The love of Arda was set in your hearts by Iluvatar, and he does not plant to no purpose. Nonetheless, many ages of Men unborn may pass ere that purpose is made known; and to you it will be revealed and not to the Valar.
Long, but good.
Peace
Old 08-16-2003, 09:34 AM   #79
Firnantoonion
Haunting Spirit

Firnantoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the sentence when merry sounds his horn in the scouring of the shire:

awake! awake! fear! fire! foes! awake! fear! fire! foes!
Old 08-16-2003, 09:08 PM   #80
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Call me a weirdo but here's my favorite line.
Quote:
He drew a deep breath. "Well, I'm back," he said.
-Sam Gamgee, LoTR: RoTK, The Grey Havens

I don't know but there's just something about that being the last line of the whole trilogy.