The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Silmaril A Barrow Downs Charity Idea

I posted this idea on the Facebook Barrow Downs page and thought I should also post it here as there are quite a few forum Downers who don't FB. (I love neologisms.) There's a fair bit of interest in the idea on our FB group page.

Here's what I posted: "I was looking through the World Vision Gift Catalogue for Christmas and had an idea. The catalogue lists things people can sponsor as gifts--goats, chickens, pigs, sheep, hens and roosters, cows, even beehives, as well as food and medical supplies. A goat costs $100, three little pigs $120. These items are provided to a child or family in need in a developing country.

Is there any interest in us contributing to one of these gifts? It would be a gift from "the Barrow Downs". I'm not sure exactly how this could be done--maybe through indigogo? (I have no experience with indigogo but I think the Brit moot Downers do.)

I've tried to see if there are other organisations doing similar work for Christmas but haven't found anything really similar. Are there other organisations people would be interested in supporting?

Information about the program and about World Vision can be found here;the link is to World Vision Canada but it is an international organisation. Its Mission Statement is to support people in need regardless of race, religion, gender, or ethnicity. My understanding is that while World Vision is a Christian evangelical organisation it does not proselytise. Any interest? :

World Vision Christmas Gift Catalogue"

It was suggested that indigogo is not a very reliable source, so I am researching other ways to gather our contributions together. I've written World Vision about the idea to see if we can use their "Wish List" page on their website. We could also use my paypal account.

One Downer suggested the Heifer International charity but that charity is based only in the US, so tax receipts would be issued only for the American IRS. If I read the comments correctly, there's support for using World Vision, which I think can give receipts for many countries. World Vision uses the word "steward" to describe its actions and I think that fits well with some of Tolkien's use too.

If forum folks are interested, you can reply here and I will keep this thread updated. Once plans are clear I can PM any information that requires privacy.