The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
Gorthol
Animated Skeleton

Gorthol has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Gorthol
Sting Lenwë and Sarumans ring.

What happened to Lenwë, did he still linger in Middle-earth in the 3rd age during the war of the ring? If so, he must have been the oldest elf alive in Middle-earth..

The ring Saruman wore when Gandalf visited him, was it one of the lesser rings crafted by the elves in the second age?

Speculate freely..
Old 06-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it is impossible to say whether Lenwe lingered in Middle Earth before, during and after the War of the Ring. My guess would be he left a good while before the War. But he would certainly have been the oldest or one of the oldest Elves that did not abide in the Undying Lands.

Saruman's ring (and I think we can only speculate) was probably crafted by himself for the same reason as his multi-colored robe. He seemed to want to break away from his old image and so crafted this ring in lust of the One Ring and created his color-shifting robe to show his passage from White Council. Another possibility is that the ring was left in Orthanc by one of the Stewards of Gondor and he wore it as a sign of his lordship over Isengard. Either way, I think the ring was only symbolic and did not contain any power like the other Great Rings.

I could be wrong, these are just some suggestions.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Who exactly is Lenwe?
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:44 PM   #4
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lenwe is a Telerin elf who made the original journey of the Elves after their awakening. He repented of the journey to Valinor, wishing to remain in Middle Earth. He led a group of Elves down the Vales of Anduin. The group of Elves he led was called the Nandor, and they were sundered from their kin the Teleri. Conceivably, he would be the eldest or one of the eldest of the Elves in Middle Earth, except maybe Cirdan the Shipwright or others of his kin. It is hard to say. Hope that's enough info. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 04:59 AM   #5
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my opinion, Saruman made his own ring, and that is the reason why he says to Gandalf he is a Ring-maker:

Quote:
"I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"
The Council Of Elrond
Old 06-29-2003, 09:19 AM   #6
Gorthol
Animated Skeleton

Gorthol has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Gorthol
Sting

Ah! Ok, there we have it, that explains all..
Thanks Amarië.

Sarumans robe, that it was multi-colored, surely that must have been a way of him to show that he had deep knowledge in many different areas, since the white light when you break it up with a prism, becomes all other colors. Hence he was Saruman of Many Colours..
Old 06-29-2003, 05:13 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

That's right. And also, he was tired of going by the rules of the Order, with each person having his own, one color. He wanted to show that he was greater than all of them, that his powers encompassed all colors. I think that what the colors actually meant was the powers or the personalities of the wearers.

For example, Gandalf's color was Grey (originally). He always walked in "disguise," in a way. If you looked at him, you wouldn't be able to tell if he was a wizard or just another old man with a strange color-fetish. On the other hand, white is very obvious color. It stands out for miles. Saruman had the type of personality that would stand out for miles. Once you looked at him, even if he wasn't wearing his terribly conspicuous white robes, you could tell that he wasn't ordinary. For Radagast, brown represented the Earth. He loved the Earth and its animals, therefore, he had that color. Alatar and Pallando both had blue, which I assume has something to do with air. Air is the ultimate wanderer, it never sits in one place for long. I imagine that Alatar and Pallando were both like that, wanderers at heart. But I do wonder whether Oromë had a secret agenda to fulfil by sending them. He loved the Elves in the far East, where they woke up. He probably sent them to check on Cuivienen in the East, which is why, all we know about them is that they went East, and were never heard from again. Of course, that is pure speculation, don't take my word for anything.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote