The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #121
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think Mänwe might be more a cobbler than Garin a were-faithful. But hard to say...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #122
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Certainly, Rikae shouldn't reveal anything until Tomorrow.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #123
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lalaith probably would be my choice since I can't decide about Roa and Spm. Usually Lalaith seems fine to me and now she doesn't. Every time I have played with her before seh has either been ordo of gifted. I think I may be playing a Lalith wolf for the first time. But I might be prejudiced.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #124
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quite... unless she has a wolf. We have one known innocent (assuming she is truthful and that is enough for a single ranger) . Assuming we don't manage to lynch the ranger

Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #125
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow, there were a lot more people around then I thought. I guess I jumped the gun thinking voting Garin was my only option. Argh.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #126
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

++Lalaith
since Rikae seems safe

Last edited by Mithalwen; 02-26-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: to put vote on its own line
Old 02-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #127
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay. If there is someone still thinking I'll leave the door open as I think this more likely a hit to the baddies...

++ Mänwe

EDIT: X'd with Mith...
Old 02-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #128
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I can tell you this much - I don't know anything for certain about either Manwe or Garin.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #129
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm not at all sure about either Garin or Manwe, I think both too bold for wolvishness. Between the two I'm more inclined to go for Manwe as obviously our seer must be safe.

---HOLBY

+++MANWE
Old 02-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #130
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Long the Númenoreans debated their next step, even though some still seemed to be too shocked to talk much. It was clear to them that there were Faithfuls among them and therefore one of them had to die. But who should that be?

After much back and forth it was agreed that Garin should be lynched.

“But why me?” Garin asked shocked “I serve the Lord Melkor like the next of us. I cannot believe you doubt my faith and devotedness!”

“Well, we don’t really do that, to be honest,” answered the guy who be short “but your ways of worship seem strange to us, and, frankly, we don’t have anybody better.”

“But can you not see that this is madness!?”

“You see, Garin, it is an evil hour that puts such a choice on us, but we cannot help it.” said Kitanna “Prove your faith in Melkor by accepting your death as a thing inevitable and honourable!”

What?? No way!”

But more he was not able to say. Silently Holbytlass took up her huge scythe and approached Garin from behind, and in this moment, with one skilled swing, she decapitated him and Garin lay dead at the villager’s feet.

“Search his body!” ordered Durelin, but all they found was a talisman that proved Garin’s belief in Melkor and Annatar, the god who is his prophet. Garin was no Faithful, but one of them.

Crestfallen the Númenoreans left the peak of Meneltarma and went back to their huts as the sun was setting and it was getting dark.

“Now that I get to think about it, couldn’t we have searched Garin before we killed him?” asked Hookbill, the Goomba, as they descended the hill.

“I think the way we handled it is a quite proven method. And if it works, I don’t see any reason to change it at all.” Roa answered composed.

*~*

The Dead:

Macalaure (mod) - brutally killed by Faithfuls in Night One
Garin (ordo) - decapitated with a scythe on Day One

The Living:

Brinniel
Durelin
Gil-Galad
Glirdan
the guy who be short
Holbytlass
Hookbill the Goomba
Kath
Kitanna
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Mänwe
The Might
Mithalwen
Nogrod
Rikae
Roa_Aoife
Rune Son of Bjarne
The Saucepan Man
Thinlómien

Wolves, send me your kill. Seer, send me your dream. Ranger, send me your protectee. Hunter, send me your list. It would be best if you do so until about one hour before the deadline, so I have time to write the narration.

Last edited by Macalaure; 02-26-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #131
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Long Holbytlass lay awake that night. Thoughts kept on surging into her mind. She had killed a person, and not just some misguided and death-deserving Faithful, but one of their kind.

What has she done?

Finally, she got out of her bed and made her way back to the Meneltarma, where her horrid deed took place, and where Garin’s body lay unburied.

*~*

The next morning, the villagers made themselves on their way, too. Both Holbytlass and The Might, but nobody else, were missing, but the two were not to be found in their huts. Then, on the top of the hill, they recovered them. The bodies of Holbytlass and The Might seemed to rest upon the corpse of Garin, but on closer inspection, both were found out to be dead.

“There is a letter!” cried Mithalwen, and then she read it alound:

Dear respectable remaining residents of the Island of Westernesse,

I can no longer live with the guilt I have brought upon me and I will now try to correct my fault. There is only one way in which Garin’s death can be undone, and nothing else is left to do for me in this hour: I will sacrifice my own blood to pray to Melkor and bring Garin back.

Tell Garin I’m sorry for what I have done, and that I now have paid for it.

Your Holbytlass.

But under it, more has been scribbled hastily, and in a different writing:

Didn’t work! Didn’t work! Need more blood! Need more blood!

Yours deceasingly,
The Might

...and splatters of dried blood surrounded it.

“Well, indeed it doesn’t seem to have worked.” observed the Legate of Amon Lanc, examining Garin’s body, which looked as decapitated and as dead as before.

“Of course it didn’t work!” Rikae added resolutely “How do we expect Melkor the Great to have mercy upon us, when there are still Faithfuls among us? Melkor is a god of the strong, mind you! Once the Faithfuls fertilise the ground, the dead who believed in Him will rise again and we all shall be deathless henceforth.

Let us be thankful nobody died by the hand of the Faithfuls this night. But right now, there is work for us to do!”

*~*

The Dead:

Macalaure (mod) - brutally killed by Faithfuls in Night One
Garin (ordo) - decapitated with a scythe on Day One
Holbytlass (ordo) - committed suicide to revive Garin in Night Two
The Might (ordo) - committed suicide to help Holbytlass reviving Garin in Night Two

The Living:

Brinniel
Durelin
Gil-Galad
Glirdan
the guy who be short
Hookbill the Goomba
Kath
Kitanna
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Mänwe
Mithalwen
Nogrod
Rikae
Roa_Aoife
Rune Son of Bjarne
The Saucepan Man
Thinlómien

Wolves, stop pming. Hunter and cobbler, send me another list. Now let the Daily discussions begin!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #132
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Well the numbers surely are shrinking with a bit too fast pace but happily there seems to be some good news as well with the Ranger making a great save. And now our Ranger too has a known innocent in her/his pocket and will probably live at least up to toMorrow. So with that save we kind of managed to get a borrowed Seer for one Night! Meaning: in Day3 we should have at least two living known innocents around and possibly the ranger might save it then again (50-50 chance of them being around on Day4 as well)... That would help our task considerably.

Kudos to her/him! And a bow.

I for one am ready to take Rikae now at face value. Lying about giftedness never pays in the long run so long as roles are revealed with death and so her coming up that soon would have been folly if she fakes it = I don't believe she faked it.

I'll see a couple of things now but will then have to go to sleep. Happily toMorrow (RL) I'll be able to flood the thread as my choir rehersals have been cancelled.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #133
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

First, some replies that I didn't have time for at the end of yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mith
Wolves will usually refrain from killing an ordinary innocent who is garnering suspicion since it indeed shields them and they aren't going to waste a night kill on someone who they have a chance of getting lynched. However I would be astonished is wolves let anyone they suspected of being a gifted survive - unless it was the Hunter.
While what you say is true, I believe you completely missed my point. Yes, the wolves will kill anyone they suspect of giftedness. HOWEVER, they can't tell a gifted from a particularly suspicious innocent any better than we can tell a suspiciously acting gifted from a wolf. (And as was demonstrated yesterday, that's very difficult.) THE WOLVES DO NOT KNOW WHO THE GIFTED ARE. (Except when the gifted reveal themselves.) They can't. All they have is a best guess and gamble- is this villager a gifted and thus good for us to kill, or just an ordo we could be using for lynch bait tomorrow? Every suspicious ordo they kill removes one more villager for them to hide behind. Not to mention the trails that more vocal of us tend to leave. (One reason I dislike quietness so much- a quiet ordo leaves no trail when dead.)

Honestly, I don't know why we're even disagreeing over this- it's common sense, and we're both saying the same thing, but from different angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I'm a bit puzzled by the way Roa has played toDay. I mean she seems to defend me in every corner. That makes one uneasy. Or maybe she's using me just as her hobby-horse to go after Spm? Anyhow that I need to think toMorrow if I'm still around.
To be honest, it's quite closer to the later. As SPM said himself, the analysis of words is how wolves are caught. When I returned in the second half of the day, I set about summarizing every post that was made, and adding brief thoughts on it. (You saw the results of that in my analysis that I posted yesterday.) Why just three? Those were the top three that caught my interest. (Okay, I analyzed Nogrod out of force of habit.) When I could find nothing against you, (and I can usually find something against anyone) I saw the charges against you as being nothing more than huffing and puffing.

At first I thought Manwe was more suspicious for it- he had no backing, his case was truly coming out of thin air, and he was being pretty dogged about it. He was so desperate for people to stick blame to that he grabbed onto Kitanna, though she had done the opposite of what he accused her of. But then I analyzed SPM. SPM is arguably one of the best players in this game. And yet, here he was, latching onto a newbies baseless case, and even trying to bolster it with carefully worded propaganda. So in a way, I was "using you" to "get" SPM, in the sense that I found his case against you to be the most suspicious thing of the Day, and I am almost thuroughly convinced that he is a Faithful who wanted to look helpful, and latched onto the suspicion of a prominent and dangerous player. At the end, he even backed down and voted for his conveniently placed other "suspect," who was much closer to lynching.

And Oh, look! She the seer! Whoops. Pretty silly of you, SPM.

Too bold for a wolf? Depends on the wolf, and somehow I doubt that SPM could be anything but bold. (He's way too active and influencial.)

And do I believe Nogrod is innocent? Not unless Rikae dreamed of him and says so. I just think the case against him was pure fabrication.

There were three bandwagons yesterday, for Rikae, Garin, and Manwe. I'll be looking at the voters for Rikae first, and then Manwe, but I'd appreciate it if someone else looks at the Garin bandwagon. (I'm in it, afterall.) Or perhaps, multiple people...

Also, Rikae, if you would be so kind as to let us know what you know. Hopefully, you can clear up the messy Manwe question.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #134
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sorry people... I was maybe getting a bit too optimistic back there...

It just occured to me that the wolves might have been so stupid as not to try and kill someone else safely the last Night but go straightforwards to Rikae (counting she's the Seer) and thence obviously be denied the kill in the first place.

Or is it a most Devillish plan where all this is staged to cover up for a false Seer? But it shouldn't work. It just couldn't. Too risky (even for Roa? ) so long as a right Seer still lives and killing her/him soon would be most reckless too - even with four faithfuls around.

So maybe we don't have two known innocents toMorrow. I was just too happy, too early...

EDIT: X'd with Roa
Old 02-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #135
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rikae voters in order of vote

Thin - first vote, put Rikae in the running
Garin - second vote, tied Rikae for lead
Briniel - third vote, put Rikae in lead ahead of Manwe
SPM - fourth vote, put Rikae in lead ahead of Garin

Thin Day 1

1st post - Doesn't think Lalaith or Mith is suspicious, points out that the hunter may still kill the seer, thinks the game is equal, finds statement by Nogrod about the wolves having just one kill odd, says she has nothing against Glirdan, banter about Roa and Nogord dynamic, disagrees with SPM about Roa and Nogrod being harsh on the silent, thinks Manwe's weird but has some good points, thinks Rikae's vote on Manwe is weird, thinks Manwe's calmness speaks for his innocense, doesn't have any real suspicions

2nd post - Thinks this is the most paranoid Day 1 ever.

3rd post - thinks that TGWBS idea to look at the quiet ones is good, questions why she is on Holby's list, has to vote early, Votes Rikae, says she's the biggest suspect she has, thinks she jumps on Manwe too early, considers it a fact that there is very little to go on until Day 2, also keeping an eye on Durelin.

While I typically expect more from Thin, she did explain that she would have trouble being present for Day 1. Less "frothy" than usual, but again, she had less time... Honestly, I don't see anything out of place here. I'm starting to get suspicious just because of that. Basically, she offers commentary on evrything that's been an issue up until her arrival, in typical Thin fashion. As for the placement of her vote- Wolves tend for the middle, rather than the begining. She wasn't the first to find Rikae's vote odd, so I don't think she could be painted as the starter.

Briniel Day 1

1st post - Points to Newbieness, says she's been observing for a while, and will try her best, would rather observe Manwe a little before pointing fingers at him, thinks Hookbill is a little nervous about the accusations.

2nd post - doesn't really suspect anyone at this point, still feels hesitant about accusing Manwe

3rd post - wishes she had more time to think about things, had a first thought but is now looking at Garin too, decides to stick with her instinct and Votes Rikae, has to leave.

All Newbies have different ways of starting. Some, like Manwe, are very bold. Some, like Brinniel it would seem, are more thoughtful. I dislike it when newbies point it out, but she only said so once, and it seemed like more of an apology than an attempt for pity. I did find her comment to Hookbill odd, and I wish she had given more reasoning behind her vote for Rikae, but at this moment, I'm not sure she should be lynched for it.

As for the others who voted for Rikae, Garin is dead, and you all know what I think of SPM.

I will say this, though- if not for his vote, Rikae would not have had to reveal. This was after she returned and explained herself, and he was the only one who refused to believe her, and the case against her had almost as little backing as the one against Nogrod. It seems like he picked on her out of all the others who voted for Manwe (including Durelin, who voted first, and clearly had enough time to return, which was something that SPM said against Rikae.)

Back with Manwe voters in a little bit.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #136
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I doubt very highly looking at the people who voted for me will reveal anything useful. As has been pointed out several times (and repeatedly in the last game) gifteds tend to look suspicious. I imagine looking at the Garin voters would be more fruitful...

Oh yes...this is my last day among you. As four of you know already, the ranger protected me last night.

I think I'll leave it at that for now.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #137
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Oh Roa you are being helpful, showing us newbies how its done, though I prefer a spear to a bow on all accounts far more effective at skewering that fish in the shallows. Still we have but to wait until tomorrow when we may expect to find Rikae's body horribly mutilated.

To coin a cliche phrase, there is something fishy going on here and its not just my cloths. Mhm the blend of fish and lupine musk it cannot be a pleasant combination I am sure.

Neither is this mix of blood and fish, poor Might and Holby.

Though I wonder why you are being so helpful Roa, surely providing such excellent analysis would attract the Faithful's to you like a bee to beautiful flower, unless of course you are safe in the knowledge that they would not attack one of their own kind?
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #138
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Even though I still agree with you Roa on SPaM's suspiciousness yesterDay I've learned to be a bit paranoid with you too...

Basically I don't think that "out of the thread" speculations are to be encouraged but this one I just couldn't help noticing. You posted two lengthy posts within three minutes interval in the first half an hour of the Day. So you had them prepared in advance I presume? No one can deny that people mighn't use their spare time making posts ready for the next Day already beforehand even if they didn't know whether they would be alive or not on that following Day. But it just bothers me a bit right now. I mean I like to do a lot of work for a game when I have time but not use hours to it beforehand if I wouldn't be certain I will be alive... and we know who the people here are who need not worry about them surviving the Night.

EDIT: X'd with two last ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
I think I'll leave it at that for now.
Your choice. Just do not let us lynch that innocent in the end of the Day...
Old 02-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #139
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I imagine looking at the Garin voters would be more fruitful...
Just what I was going to suggest. I know some people switched to save Rikae, but even so, there was something not quite right about the Garin bandwaggon.

As for the two departures. I was so sure Holby was fishy, and now it seems she was an ord all along. No werefaithful slayings though.
Was this due to a thwarted attempt by the weres to kill the seer, or did the Mod take pity on us and decide the death by departure of two ords was enough to be getting on with?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #140
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe voters

Durelin - First vote, put Manwe in the running
Rikae - Second vote, put Manwe in the lead
Hookbill - third vote, had little effect on standings
Legate - fourth, kept Manwe in the running
Nogrod - fifth, tied Manwe with Rikae
Lalaith - sixth, put Manwe in second

Unless someone comes out to contest Rikae's claim, she's a known innocent. And Nogrod I've already analyzed.

Durelin, Day 1

1st post - Says the numbers will make this crazy, thinks it's silly to discuss wolvish behavior, says we need to stir things up a bit more, interested in back and forth between Manwe and SPM, finds Mith strange, thinks her nonchalance is forced, concerned by Glirdan's post, response to Garin

2nd post - thinks Manwe is enganging in "ultimate" Day 1 nonsense, says she has nothing better to go on, votes Manwe, says his "fisherman's wisdom is getting to her/him (?), hopes to be back before deadline, but is uncertain.

(Weak reasoning, but given the ammount of evidence available, and the time limitations, it's understandable)

3rd post - Says the two loudest people (SPM and Nogrod) are getting the most looking at, doesn't like the reasoning of "if they're Faithful, they'd be dangerous," "We've been here before...", doesn't get the case against Nogrod, finds Manwe's reaction interesting, thinks a Faithful would have been more "honey-tongued", doesn't think the timing of Rikae's vote is odd, but rather that is was for Manwe, thinks Garin is Odd looking

(Durelin sure says a lot in one post. I find her statement that SPM was one of the two most looked at players odd. To my knowledge, I was the only one looking at him, though others had disagreed with him. I don't know that anyone said either was being suspected because they could be dangerous if Baddies.)

4th post - thinks her (?) vote for Manwe might stand, but also thinks Rikae and Garin are acting odd, doesn't have enough to go on, even though she doesn't really have alot for Manwe, either, reminds us that a lot of people aren't being looked at at all, agrees with Mith that Roa hasn't gotten a whole lot of notice, response to TGWBS, says Glirdan worries her because he complained about the lack of posting, but did nothing about it, thinks she needs to look at Kath again, think Hookbill brings up a good point, thinks Manwe may be the cobbler, doesn't like Manwe's comment about wanting Nogrod lynched, also bothered by Roa's certainty about SPM, uncertain about going after bold players or quiet players, asks Nogrod for new thoughts

(In her previous post, she said she was no longer certain about Manwe, and here she admits to having no real case, but she seems very content to let her vote stand. All this post has is a lot of waffling about whether or not it's prudent to attack the loud players or not. The fourth paragrapgh can basically be summed up in "The loudest players could be bold innocents, but they could be bold wolves, too." For all her talking, she comes to no conclusions about anything, except that alot of people are acting strange. )

5th post - changes vote from Manwe to Garin

(A vote to save the seer. I can't fault her for that, unless she's trying to make herself look good.)

6th post - Thinks she may have jumped the gun on her vote for Garin

Some odd things from Durelin's posts. Though she says she dislikes waffling, she does an awful lot of it herself, especially in her third and fourth posts. She admits to having no case againast Manwe, but she does very little to find anything, it seems.

Hookbill next.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #141
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Excellent! Yay Ranger!

After I saw that we were losing two of our ranks, and with our Seer already outed, I must say I was even more pessimistic than usual. This has me a little more hopeful, though. But, with four wolves out there, we've got a lot of work to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Oh yes...this is my last day among you. As four of you know already, the ranger protected me last night.
Wait...but...I feel like I'm missing something here. How do you know for certain that the Ranger protected you? It is most likely, because that's playing it safe, but...the Wolves have to be...well, as Nogrod said rather stupid to waste a Night's kill. But, I didn't think anyone was told that they were protected. Then again, I've never been saved.

Why would the wolves choose to risk wasting a nice kill? Is it simply stupidity, or were they that desperate to kill Rikae for some reason?

I guess I might be wasting my time, as there's no way to know. I think Rikae might be right about her voters, though. While it is certainly a possibility, I think the majority of us were suspicious of her, myself included. So with what little time I have I'll try and look over Garin's voters, and also look at those who deviated from the bandwagons. On Day 1, innocent lynchings are extremely probable, so I don't see a reason for a Wolf to put him/herself in the middle of a bandwagon on Day 1. Of course, it is possible we got closer to lynching one of them than we think. Possible, though not probable.

Manwe - Roa's excellent analysis is a great help to us! Looking at a person's behavior point-by-point is extremely helpful, and obviously not all of us are so good at such analysis, or have the time to go through everything. If we live in fear of the Faithful, we will surely die. But perhaps your behavior is now somewhat explained - you just want to stay alive? Understandable...but the Faithful will kill us all if we don't actively try to hunt them down.

Edit: Crossed with Nogrod, Lalaith, Roa. All I can say is that I did not say I had no case for Manwe. I just didn't have a lot to go on him. I don't think I was alone in not having a lot to back my vote.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #142
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
...or did the Mod take pity on us and decide the death by departure of two ords was enough to be getting on with?
How should I put it best?

No.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #143
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Basically I don't think that "out of the thread" speculations are to be encouraged but this one I just couldn't help noticing. You posted two lengthy posts within three minutes interval in the first half an hour of the Day. So you had them prepared in advance I presume? No one can deny that people mighn't use their spare time making posts ready for the next Day already beforehand even if they didn't know whether they would be alive or not on that following Day. But it just bothers me a bit right now. I mean I like to do a lot of work for a game when I have time but not use hours to it beforehand if I wouldn't be certain I will be alive... and we know who the people here are who need not worry about them surviving the Night.
I work on the assumption that it doesn't matter if I die or not- I need to have the work done and ready. You may be bothered if you wake up dead and all that work goes to waste. I'm just not.

Besides, with the exception of the last game, I'm very rarely killed by the wolves until far later in the game. (I draw way to much suspicion during the Day to be wasted as a kill so early in the game.) Besides, as I'm quite vocal in my suspicions, if I'm right and nail a wolf, it's too dangerous to kill me, because it will paint a clear and direct line to the culprit.

Let's not tip-toe around this. I'm an ordo- I have no reason to fear death. Only wolves and gifteds do that.

Back to work.

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 02-27-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: didn't realize that was considered a bad word
Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #144
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Okay. So let me get this straight. So do we assume, villagers, that the Ranger protected Rikae and the wolves tried to kill her?

I may be missing something, but I think this is odd. Would the wolves not assume that the Ranger *would* protect Rikae - or did they risk a double-bluff?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #145
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

We shouldn't assume anything. Only the wolves and the Ranger know what happened last night, and they're the only ones who need to know. It changes nothing for us toDay, unless the ranger comes forward. And that would be highly unadvisable at this stage. They'd be signing their own death warrant.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #146
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. About 5½ hours before my wake up call...

Just no new ideas springing up to my mind right now and no time to make any lengthier analysis.

I hope I can join us opening some new ways of looking at this later on the Day as I seem to have at least three wolves out of my grasp, at worst all four of them.

Speak people.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #147
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Durelin - Mac told me I was protected by the ranger.

I suppose the faithfuls might have gone for me hoping the ranger, assuming they wouldn't want to waste a kill, protected someone else last night so he/she could protect me tomorrow, when I'd be in greater danger. It had occured to me that the ranger might do that, maybe the faithfuls had the same thought? Good thing he/she didn't decide to!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #148
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Mod God
A villager who has been protected successfully will know he has been saved, but not by whom or from whom.
Plain and simple. Although we yet have only Rikae's word for it. But as I said earlier, I'm ready to take her word now and concentrate on other issues like finding the faithfuls.

I'll be back for the last 5-6 hours.

EDIT: X'd with Rikae...
Old 02-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #149
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hookbill Day 1

1st post - says he left too early, thinks the death was poetic

(What does he mean he left too early? Was he here at the start of the Day and just didn't comment? Why would he do that?)

2nd post - banter with Manwe and SPM, suggests that Manwe is suggesting SPM is the seer, thinks everyone is jumpy on Day 1

(While he seems to suspect Manwe for his rather ambiguous statement to SPM, it seems as though Hookbill is really the one trying to point out the Seer, and the only one making a big deal about it at all is him. Honestly, if you read into that statement, you ought to keep your mouth shut.)

3rd post - More banter

4th post - Thinks Manwe has been ruthless, but is willing to put it down to a newbies over eagerness

5th post - More banter, doesn't suspect anyone

6th post - Still can't figure anything out, does find Manwe suspicious, but now also Garin

7th post - Doesn't want to vote, thinks Garin was being odd, but writes this off as sloppy thinking, says Manwe acted oddly, doesn't have a better theory, Vote Manwe, apologizes

Between the banter and silliness, it was hard to find anything of substabce in Hookbill's posts. I don't know if he's ever played before, but he seems very lost. Or rather, he seems like he's trying to seem like he's very lost. It has a very played up feeling. Also, he apologizes for his vote, and that's always suspicious to me.

Back soon with Legate.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #150
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Thanks, Rikae, Nogrod. I missed that, and I will take Rikae's word for it.

Now I need to run. Have a lot of homework on my plate largely because I've been putting it off. I will try to be back in a few hours or so.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #151
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Legate, Day 1

1st post - Points out newbieness, took an hour to read through the thread, will have to go soon, doesn't understand dispute between Lal and Mith, thinks gifteds will try to stay hidden, says some people seemed strange, but later realized that this is "normal" for them, says Manwe seems harsh, but doesn't quite suspect him yet, thinks it was nonsense for him to make such a mess, thinks he was accusing out of nothing, will be back later

(Seems fairly reasonable and well thought out. I can't find fault with his/her's (?) reasoning here.)

2nd post - Agrees with Lommy's post, doesn't like Brinniel's and Hookbill's banter, asks them to stop and get to business, thinks SPM and Manwe are assuming too much, understands how important it is for everyone to be active, finds Manwe the most suspicious, finds Nogrod strange, but thinks it may just be normal for him, doesn't suspect Roa at all, doesn't know what Manwe, SPM and Garin are talking about, will try to be back before the end

(I'm starting to think someone else ought to analyze Legate, as I'm feeling a bit too partial. I can't help it! I like the kid! And I agree with everything said! Not surprisingly, I find Legate reasonable.)

3rd post - agrees with Hookbill, thinks Brinniel seemed serious with her responses, feeling paranoid

4th post - quick response to Rune, is unsure, but would rather be mistaken in choosing what feels most correct and be wrong, than make an even bigger mistake by choosing something else, Votes Manwe

Okay, someone else look at Legate. S/he reminds me way too much of me when I first started. I can't find anything wrong with the posts, but I'm really thinking I'm partial here.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #152
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lalaith, Day 1

1st post - it's quiet, won't be around again until much later, agrees with mith that we should be careful about lynching gifteds, but not sure what to make about sharing ways to distinguish gifteds from wolves, intrigued by new twists on the roles

2nd post - Has no idea is a faithful, but has an idea for a cobbler, thinks comment made by Holby may be a signal to the Faithfuls, Votes Holby, wonders about the rows that begin and then blow over suddenly, agrees that the wolves may be trying an early sacrifice

(That was... odd. Taking one comment from Holby as evidence enough to lynch her? That seems really strange from Lal, and I'm not sure if she's serious or not. Not having much to go is one thing, but it looks like she's not even trying.)

3rd post - asks Rikae what she dreamed, asks if it's okay to lynch Garin in her stead

4th post - cancels last post, realizes that the wolves would just kill the known innocent instead.

(Okay, rushed thinking, it seems.)

5th post - Isn't convinced of either Garin or Manwe's guilt, wants to protect seer, retracts vote for Holby, votes Manwe

(What? Rikae was already well past safe. Not only that, even if she missed the other votes, Garin would be the logical choice since he was tied with Rikae. This just screams safe vote.)

Lal's looking very odd here. I think I may give her some greater scrutiny through out this Day.

Okay, with that done, I must be off. (I have some chores to do.) I'll be back, hopefully in a few hours.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #153
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Quote:
5th post - Isn't convinced of either Garin or Manwe's guilt, wants to protect seer, retracts vote for Holby, votes Manwe (What? Rikae was already well past safe. Not only that, even if she missed the other votes, Garin would be the logical choice since he was tied with Rikae. This just screams safe vote.)
Just caught this before bedtime and thought it deserved picking up on.

Yes, I knew Rikae was almost certainly safe at that point but you never know, hasty last-minute voting by people who don't finish reading a thread, it has happened....so I switched my vote to be sure.
The two alternatives were Garin and Manwe, and I felt Garin was probably innocent - as he indeed proved to be. Of the two, I preferred to see Manwe lynched as I wasn't as sure about him.

But I would like to see the Garin voters analysed. I don't have time to do it myself, unfortunately.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #154
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
I would like to make a small point about Legate's annoyance over the banter. I find it rather odd. Why get annoyed? Banter may cause people to slip up, and the things they say may reveal their mood. Meh, this is a game...albeit involving death.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #155
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mänwe
I would like to make a small point about Legate's annoyance over the banter. I find it rather odd. Why get annoyed? Banter may cause people to slip up, and the things they say may reveal their mood. Meh, this is a game...albeit involving death.

hmmm... i would have to agree with Manwe there... Legate is now on my list... but at the bottom, but it could be just a character flaw

but for now, my main thoughts are still on Saucepanman, and thus so must my vote be for i may not get another time to say it...

++SaucePanMan

again as usual, apoligies if i have made a mistake
Old 02-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #156
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I need a break from Catullus and his ego, so...I post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil
again as usual, apoligies if i have made a mistake
So...you've covered all your bases in one sentence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwe
I agree, it is a game. So maybe fun bantering should be a part of it (and I think it is, whether it "should be" or not. But you question someone's denunciation of bantering, while you have not only denounced analysis but also pretty much deemed it "wolfish."

Thank you for the analyses, Roa. I actually find your analysis of Hookbill most interesting to me because I can't say I've considered him much, unfortunately. He played Day 1 undeniably safe, and asserted mostly typical humour and "banter," keeping his posting light. Without accusations - with evidence backing them or no - or even serious *investigation* of people, there's no lines crossed, no one's offended, no trails. And on Day 1, you can get by with that.

We'll have to see if he continues to try and do so toDay, I suppose.

I'll be back as soon as I can (if I have a brain left after more Latin and some calculus in the mix). The Garin voters need serious looking at, as well as the no voters.

Oh...and anyone want to venture a post-by-post analysis of Roa?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #157
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Whee! Takin a break!

So... where is everyone? *sigh* Not the quiet thing again....

Please, to everyone, the last thing we need to get into is a debate about what should or shouldn't be part of the game. Banter, role-playing or whatever else, everyone has their own opinions on it. A debate about it will only get ugly, fast, and people's feelings will get hurt, and it will all just be bad. TRUST ME. Save the critiques on how people played until the post-game.

For now, the only banter that bothers me is Hookbill's, and that because it's 90% of his contribution to the discussion from Day 1.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #158
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Oh...and anyone want to venture a post-by-post analysis of Roa?
Good luck! I'm trying to beat Nogrod in post count this game.

I'm going to start on the other Garin voters, since no one else seems up to the task.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #159
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Well, I do not do post-by-post analysis and I am a Garin voter, that might make me baised when doing the analysis.

Anyways I did not spot anything overly suspiciouse when I looked over the posts, I guess I will have to read through them again as having no new to add is normaly not apprichiated.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #160
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Garin voters

TGWBS - first vote, put Garin in the running
Kitanna - second, put Garin in second
Rune - third, tied Garin with Rikae
Holby - fourth, tied Garin with Rikae
Durelin - fifth, put Garin in lead
Roa - sixth, no real impact on lynch

Holby's dead, and I can't analyze myself. So...

TGWBS, Day 1

1st post - doesn't like Day 1 banter, says innocents tend to get lynched for "spurious" evidence, banter with Kath, points out that suspicion tends to fall on the loud, lists the quiet, questions Nogrod, SPM, and Roa for Glirdan suspicion

2nd post - more banter with Kath, clarifies that the "prophesy" was a joke, and truly suspects for quietness

(For someone who says he doesn't like the banter, he's engaging in it quite a bit.)

3rd post - Accepts SPM's explanation for Glirdan, also retracts question to Roa, wonders why Durelin is worried about Glirdan but not Kath, also asks Nogord why he picked out Glirdan and not Kath, voting record, feelings on villagers: Innocent- Nogrod, SPM; Faithful- Mith, Manwe, Rikae; Slightly suspicious- Glirdan, Gil-galad, The Might; Wants to hear more from mith about gifted question, wants Rikae to explain her vote, wants Gil to explain his hunches

(Seems straight forward, but I wonder why he keeps hinting towards Kath. Also, with the voting record and lists, it feels like he's trying to beef up his post and make it seem more substantial than it really is.)

4th post - Disagrees with Holby, says mith's statement is we have to judge her on since it's all she's said

5th post - Asks Garin why he voted for Nogrod, thinks the only reason is, "If he were faithful, he would be dangerous."

6th post - tells Rikae he couldn't find her notice on the Admin thread, isn't convinced of either Rikae's or Mith's evidence, says Garin stands out the most, says we better get rid of him, Votes Garin, leaves for the Day

(Something about this last post seems... forced somehow. In fact, every post he's made is filled with the air of finality that I just don't like.)

Kitanna next....