The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting LOTR tabletop

So I was out at Games Workshop. (yeah, I know, dont laugh...)

Anyways, I saw that they had a LOTR tabletop RPG/Battle/Miniature game. It was amazing. The detail of the miniatures, the armies you could build, the battles and adventures you could create, and I could do all this for more money than my brain is worth. But it was really cool. I thought about other miniatures, such as D&D miniatures, and how they could somehow come into play here....
The settings were terrifically realistic and detailed, and right when I walked in my jaw dropped. I played a demo game with one of the really weird store clerks, and was hooked. I will have to wait til good old St. Nick comes down my chimney until I can start my collection...
Anyway, I just thought I would start up a thread for discussion on anything with the LOTR tabletop game.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...

Last edited by ninja91; 10-11-2006 at 12:30 PM.
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Do you mean the little Games Workshop LotR figures? Well, some months back davem got himself a Sharpe figure which it turned out had to be painted, and he loved doing it so I went into Games Workshop which is right outside my office, to get him some LotR figures to paint, just for fun. He's done quite a lot of them now, including some unusual figures such as Lobelia, Fatty Bolger, Tom & Goldberry etc. I've been tempted to have a go myself but I have poor eyesight.

I get funny looks when I go into the shop to buy stuff, it's as though they're thinking "Oh! A woman! In our shop!" and wondering if they've remembered to wear deodorant that day. We've been asked about joining in the games in the shop, but I'm too intimidated for that, sadly, and davem just likes painting the figures. I think!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Glad to know that Davem has found a new outlet for his creativity.... next year's art section at Oxonmoot may have a new exhibitor....

I nearly succumbed to the LOTR chess set in installments until I remembered just how many chess pieces there are and calculated how expensive it would be relative to my extremely limited ability and interest in chess. So Aragorn will stand on my desk alone....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 10-11-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Another thing. The figures do have to be painted, which as of now I have no clue how to do. But that is where ebay comes in. (or I could just paint them myself...)
I do look forward to having epic battles (so nerdy) though. It looks really cool once you can develop the figures and a scenario.
By the way, Lalwende and Mithalwen, good posts!
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
doom_hammer
Haunting Spirit

doom_hammer has just left Hobbiton.
yeah on the lotr gameswork shop thing i collect and play warhammer i have armies of orcs and high elves
doom_hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:07 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I, Nogrod and my little sister used to have Mithril Silver figures for our RPG, but sadly they are made no more. Noggie used to paint the miniatures (me and my sis got to paint Bill the Pony since we were so small and thus not that good with such nit-picky work).

*sigh* The mithril silver miniatures are the best RPG etc miniatures I've ever seen and it's a pity you can't get them from anywhere anymore. And they weren't even expensive.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
Another thing. The figures do have to be painted, which as of now I have no clue how to do. But that is where ebay comes in. (or I could just paint them myself...)
They're easy! A friend of mine has been doing it for a hobby for years (he has hundreds of figures and is a keen gamer) and he recommends you start by giving figures an all-over black or white base coat (they sell base in the shop), and then use the GW special acrylic paints for the figures. I thought of giving davem some of my art acrylics but apparently they are too matte and look rubbish. The GW ones are expensive, but last for ages and you can blend them like ordinary acrylics. davem has bought a little bag of fake grass, but to make gravel bases he actually used cat litter (clean of course!) stuck onto the plastic base.

Go for it! If you make a mistake, you can always paint over it and start again!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

So they are easy to paint? I have heard that its fun, but it always looked time consuming.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 AM   #9
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
So they are easy to paint? I have heard that its fun, but it always looked time consuming.
Well davem made a few mistakes at first, but the good thing is that after just one or two figures you get the hang of it, and you can always go back to the older ones and re-paint them. No it doesn't take ages to do one, though davem finds that if he has a couple 'on the go', he can spend an hour painting a little on each and is then able to leave them to dry for a while - if there was only one to paint, you might only get to spend 10 minutes on it, and then a long time waiting for the last coat to dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I nearly succumbed to the LOTR chess set in installments until I remembered just how many chess pieces there are and calculated how expensive it would be relative to my extremely limited ability and interest in chess. So Aragorn will stand on my desk alone....
It's always a good idea to avoid expensive 'partworks'! You'd end up spending £100s whereas you could buy a very nice LotR chess set for about £100 anyway!

It was the action figures that got me. Once I started buying them I'd say "Hmm, there's a cheap Theoden on e-bay, only a couple of pounds, why not..." and hey presto, some time later I have almost a hundred of them!