The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #1
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Gems from the Letters

I came across this [to me] rather astonishing bit.

from letter #348 [3/1973]
Quote:
Galadriel...means 'Maiden crowned with gleaming hair' It is a secondary name given to her in her youth in the far past because she had long hair which glistened like gold but was also shot with silver. She was then of Amazon disposition and bound up her hair as a crown when taking part in athletic feats.
I thought a thread dveoted to unearthing gems from the Letters would be nice, especially for those who have not yet read them. Or those who have them but have sorely neglected their treasure.

Unlike some authors whom the more you know the less you like them JRRT is like water that gets purer the further down you dig.

Back to School is a thread of similar variety that specializes in JRRT's more scholarly musings and opines, and The most powerful Lines of Ea is self explaining. Together the three make up a pleasant foursome of homes for any inspiration from the Professor you may wish to share.

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote