The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
mylady

Silmaril Eowyn, Aragorn and Arwen - an analysis

I find the relationship between Éowyn and Aragorn easily the most fascinating and intriguing of all relationships, whether of love or friendship, in the novel. <P>Tolkien's universe is remarkably non-sexual, something the films have almost completely preserved. The exceptions are a couple of rather French kisses between Arwen and Aragorn. At a time where some form of sexiness is required in any major movie I find this approach quite nice. The love stories in Tolkien, among others the story of Arwen and Aragorn, is platonic and spiritual. As far as I know, they do not even kiss in the book. And, contrary to regular romantic films, the romantic process and tension leading to a declaration of love is hardly interesting. <P>This is reminiscent of the narration in old legends and ballads, which, as we know, served Tolkien as sources of inspiration. In, for example, the Arthurian legends the initial meeting between a man and a woman is often described like this: Thus Sir X beheld for the first time the lady Y, and he loved not another woman for as long as he lived. This is not the story of two individuals being attracted to one another; in good, old, pre-revolutionary tradition Fate picks out two eligible candidates and makes sure they meet. From the very first moment it is an established truth that these two people belong together. The same tendency is evident in various fairy-tales, where the efficient hero makes himself worthy of a princess, whom he eventually attains and in other words receives his just reward. What the two persons think of each other is irrelevant. The chivalrous literature is thus more emotional and focused on real love, although this sentiment practically always awakens at first sight, before any of the persons involved know anything about the other. <P>It is obvious that Aragorn must marry Arwen. The protagonist, the hero, must have a precious reward; not only a princess, but something, for Man, as rare as an Elfish princess for a wife. His love with Arwen is old and was awoken immediately at their first meeting. Significantly enough the story of their first encounter is only re-told; the reader is given no insight into the tension and development of feelings between them. We are merely informed that these two love each other and always will, and that they have done so for a long time. Everything is determined, established, verbally defined, and further emphasised by the Lúthien/Beren parallel. Arwen and Aragorn are meant for one another. This pattern fits nicely into the motives of Tolkien?s inspirational texts and objects of study: the chivalrous myths and the fairy tales. <P>It should also be remarked that most relationships in the novel are very much defined. We know, for example, from their initial meeting in Rivendell, that Legolas and Gimli are suspicious to each other. And when this scepticism gradually changes into mutual respect, we, the readers, are perfectly aware of it. Their conversations leave no doubt thereof. Also, we rarely doubt the nature of the relationships between the other main characters. <P>Enter Éowyn, and the balance is disturbed. Observe that while the Arwen-Aragorn relationship is literary and explicit (no one ever doubts the nature of their feelings for each other) the relationship between Eowyn and Aragorn is full of doubt and tension. In the book as well as the film the focus is on the exchange of glances and touches, while we never know what any of them really think or feel. I think they have handled this very good in the film, for example by letting the first contact between Éowyn and Aragorn be of a physical nature. Observe how Aragorn seizes Éowyn and holds her back as she rushes towards her uncle. <P>But this relationship is forbidden, much more so than Aragorn's love for Arwen, because it challenges the story itself, the very premises of the fairy tale. Arwen is, according to the novel's set of values, the ultimate woman, she represents an unattainable ideal and is destined to be the one true love and partner of the hero. Of course Aragorn loves her ? he must; anything else is impossible and unthinkable in a regular fairy tale as The Lord of the Rings. She is everything that is worth loving, and he has, in addition to this, if my memory does not fail me, promised her to be faithful. <P>Therefore Aragorn <I>cannot</I> become involved with Éowyn. The relationship, however unrealised, passes largely in silence. But there are no doubt that <I>something</I> is going on between them. I believe the notion that the feelings are on her part only is a misunderstanding. In the novel their first meeting is described as he regards her, and reflects upon the impression she has made on him. This is also elegantly displayed in the film, as Aragorn speaks rather little to Éowyn, but often looks at her, and ? in the movie ? pays close attention when she is indirectly introduced as Theoden mutters her name. <P>Also, Éowyn represents a challenge for Aragorn. She is troubled and thoughtful, often bitter, and not at all easy to understand. In this manner she is also different from the meek, gentle and understanding Arwen. Peter Jackson makes this wonderfully clear in the little swordfight between Éowyn and Aragorn; I wish he had made it just a little bit longer. This is the encounter of two warriors, two equals, that are trying to measure each other and figure each other out. To me, this scene is loaded with a sexual tension that is practically non-existent in the Arwen-Aragorn scenes. But this quality, Éowyn's ?difficultness?, is also what makes her unfit for Aragorn's love. She is to rough and independent to become the ?trophy wife? Arwen undoubtedly is. She is not a fairy tale heroine, but she is intriguing, fascinating, and thoroughly human. I think this is the reason she has gained so much sympathy from Tolkien readers when it becomes evident that her love is unrequited. <P>In other words, the physical is one of Éowyn's most important and striking features. Contrary to the very passive Arwen, she is most active. Although Arwen in the first film, happily, is given more guts and independence, her situation is protected and quiet both in the novel and in the second film. She does not DO anything, she IS. Eowyn, on the other hand, rebels against her passive role, the same role that seems to fit Arwen perfectly. She finally becomes a heroine of the battlefield of Pelennor. <P>Another interesting aspect that adds up to this impression is that she is the only female in the novel, and in the other works of Tolkien I have read, that is explicitly and physically desired; not, or at least not that much, by Aragorn, but by the convincingly repulsive Grima Wormtongue. <P>Through its forbidden, physical nature the relationship between Eowyn and Aragorn becomes, the way I look upon it, the only sexy relationship in the entire Lord of the Rings. I will almost proceed as far as to say that sex is introduced to the story through the meeting of Eowyn and Aragorn, and that his final rejection of her and union with Arwen represents the repression of sex and the victory of the pure, platonic, deep and real love.