Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #41
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks so much for the link, Pio! I'll be doing research on that site for more than RPing...

I'll also write Alcarillo.

What do you mean, Perky?! Are you going to destroy my beautiful ship sometime? That's going to be a depressing day.

Edit: One last thing! Playing the role of a Captain, and having to write the history of him, I need to know - do you think that they would have trained captains and officers as they did back in the 1800's? (Really, if you haven't picked up on it yet, I don't know much about ships out of that time period.) As in, whilst a boy, he decides he wants to join, goes in, and is one of the 'young gentlemen' and learns on board ship, living there, doing the work, learning from the Captain and ship's tutor, makes his way up from there, and eventually is rated Captain? I doubt Tolkien thought about that too much, so if no one has any opinion one way or another on this matter, Alcarillo and I can figure it out.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 10-04-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 AM   #42
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

War ships/Pirate ships

Pirate Ships

HERE

HERE

HERE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And please do check out the Resources for RPG thread in the Shire for nautical terms.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #43
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Hi Perky -

Just letting you know that dancing spawn of ungoliant, a newcomer to Barrow Downs RPG's, will be joining the game as the other Corsair Slave.

~*~ Pio
Old 10-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #44
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
dancing spawn of ungoliant, a newcomer to Barrow Downs RPG's, will be joining the game as the other Corsair Slave.
Hi all! A newcomer, indeed. This is my very first game but I'm quite excited about this; the plot sounds fascinating! I look forward to playing with you.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #45
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Hey,

I'm sorry about posting this here, I realise that it isn't strictly orthodox, but your PM box is full, Perky, so if you will forgive me for posting this request here:

One of the positions still open, I see, is the position of the Corsair Captain. I was wondering, if you do not have anyone in particular in mind and would take me, if I would be able to play that role? I would very much like to play in this game - the profiles look excellent so far, and corsair plotlines...gah, they're just so darn good

I look forward to hearing from you soon and again, sorry for posting on this thread - I'll delete the message if need be as soon as I get a reply. Oh, and congratulations on getting offered a PT, Perky

- Amanaduial
Old 10-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #46
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Clear your PM's, please, Perky

~*~ Pio
Old 10-04-2005, 11:56 AM   #47
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Done! Sorry about that! I'm getting around 30-40 PM's a day!!!

Big post on Corsairs comming up!!!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 10-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #48
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

The following information was taken from 'The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare' section about corsairs. The following passage IS REQUIRED READING for all people playing corsairs!!! You know who you are!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
Corsairs of Umbar

During the Kin-strife that led to Gondor’s costly civil war, a great many of its invincible navy supported the usurper, who was challenging the king’s right to rule the country. Eventually he was overthrown and the rightful king restored to the throne, driving the rebels to found their own province and declare themselves under self-rule. Initially these sailors were based in the Gondorian port of Pelargir, but eventually they withdrew to the more southernly haven of Umbar, which sat on the northern coast of Harad. Over time these sailors drew to their number various outlaws and brigands from outlying settlements surrounding the Anduin, and they took to raiding alon gthe coastline of southern Gondor, interceping merchant vessels and abducting women to bolster their dissident community. They were also slavers and would often seize a ship’s crew along with her cargo; if any resisted he would be thrown overboard. Ever after these slaves would spend their lives pulling oars on the corsairs’ great black ship.

The corsairs were a thorn in Gondor’s side and were partly responsible for its impoverished state, restricting as they had its trade with other realms. Beyond the obvious desire for wealth, there would initially have been some motivation to strike against a kingdom which the corsairs saw as compromised; later it would have been just about greed. The crew of a corsair ship was said to be a mixed bag, generally swarthy and unkempt but garbed in gaudy clothing and jewelry; some would have had an exotic look born of their Southron ancestry.

The corsairs had just one battle strategy, but it was one that had served them well through many centuries: they would use their superior nautical abilities and vasty superior victims until they had pulled alongside; then they would launch harpoons from the iron crossbows fixed port and starboard on their ship, anchoring it to the other vessel. As the two ships closed, a raiding party would launch a volley of arrows into the crew if they showed any signs of resistance, before leap;ing across and seizing control of the vessel. Usually, the corsairs’ fearsome reputation would have beedn enough to intimidate all but the bravest crew, regardless of the value of the cargo.

Sauron would have realized just how useful the corsairs could be to him, so his emissaries would have enlisted their support, possibly making treatikes with them after passing through Harad. Needless to say, the greater part of their inducement to aid Sauron would have been the promise of booty from the White City. By having them raid the various settlements that were situated along the coast, right up to Minas Tirith, Sauron would have gained an intimidating southern front that would need to be defended against, thus drawing away a precious number of Gondor’s soldiers. The corsairs’ raids would have been damaging in other ways: to see smoke rising from the southern villages and the telltale silhouette of the great ships’ sails would have been deeply demoralizing for the defenders within the White City, weakening them even before battle commenced. Furthermore, once the corsairs had moored at Harlond they would have provided reinforcements for Sauron’s army if required; they could have provided useful transport up and down the river for his troops or plundered equiptment should the battle have been won by the time they arrived.

Corsair Ship

There appear to have been ten of the great ships under the control of the corsairs. These behemoths were said to be 450 feet long and 45 feet in the beam, although these estimates have never been confirmed, as none of the ships survive; the three tall masts each supported an enormous crimson sail, the largest of which may have been fully 400 feet high. Their angular fan shape would have cut a distinctive and terrifying silhouette in the water. Once they were visible it was probably already too late. Yet the most frightening facet of the ships was never seen, only felt; just below the waterline sat a huge iron battering ram, it’s jagged edges extending perhaps fifty feet out from the keel.

The elegant curving jagged lines of this ram and the rest of the ironwork revealed the ships to be clearly of Numenorean design, especially in the defensive rows of iron spikes that ran from the prow to stern on each side. Secured to the hull behind these with iron brackets was a wall of red wooden shields that would have maid it almost impossible for anyone to storm the deck. The deck was fitted fore and aft with a pair of iron-framed crossbows that fired harpoons to which were attached grappling lines that bit deep into the victim’s hull; once these were embedded, the merchant ship would be stuck fast and vulnerable. A brazier was kept stoked next to the crossbows for the time when the corsairs set light to the other ship, usually just after it had been emptied of its cargo.

The corsair ships were biremens, in that they were fitted port and starboard with row rows of oars; each row had twenty-one oars and required a minimum of three men per oar; this meant that more than 250 slaves would have been chained below deck. Rowing would have been an exhausting task and would have resulted in a high turnover of slaves; in order to continue raiding, the corsairs would have needed to keep slaving, a vicious circle that terrorized the people of Gondor.

Please bear with me if something is spelled incorrectly, or something doens't quite make sense. I'm sneezing every other sentence
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'

Last edited by The Perky Ent; 10-04-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #49
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

A quick question:

Are the Bios & First Posts for these players all ok with you? I'd like to start transferring them to the proposal form.

The Perky Ent – BIO/POST DONE
Anguirel – BIO/POST DONE
Eorl of Rohan – BIO/POST DONE
Firefoot – BIO/POST DONE
Hiriel – BIO/POST DONE

~*~ Pio
Old 10-04-2005, 12:27 PM   #50
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Thumbs up

Actually...they're not >.<

I still need to look over a few and make some corrections. I'll do it later today. I just want to double check them, as there are several problems going on between the posts. I got your PM though, and It's ok with me
Old 10-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #51
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Another question, Perky. By all appearances of the list of characters and such, my ship is the ship that the king and his counsellor are on. That is correct, right?

-- Folwren

Edit: Ah, yes. I'm the one who annoyed Firefoot with all my questions.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:31 PM   #52
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Well let's see...

*pulls piece of parchment out of pocket* ...

Gondorian Forces – No Female Characters Please

First Ship
  • King Telumehtar Umbardacil – The Perky Ent
  • Advisor/Record Keeper to the King – Menelcar – Played by Firefoot
  • Sea Captain - Played by Folwren
~*~

Second Ship
  • Captain - Played by Alcarillo

• Soldier - STILL NEEDED
  • Soldier - STILL NEEDED
--------------------

Corsairs - No Female Characters Please
  • Lord of Umbar – Played by Hiriel
  • Lord of Umbar - Played by Anguirel
  • Corsair Captain - played by Amanaduial the archer
  • Slave – played by Eorl of Rohan
  • Slave - played by dancing spawn of ungoliant

• Slaver Commander - STILL NEEDED

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note 1: The Lords of Umbar are the sons of Angamaitë and Sangahyando. Angamaitë and Sangahyando are the direct descendants of Castamir, and former rulers of Umbar.

Note 2: The Slaves were those who stayed under the ship and manned the many ores of the ship. There’d be around 250 chained slaves per ship.

Character types which would not belong: Any female characters, Elves, Hobbits, Dwarves, Orcs, or anything that is not specificed by the character list

I'd say that'd be a yes

Please note that Amanaduial the Archer and Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant are now playing with us! They will be the Corsair captian and the slave!

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-04-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #53
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White-Hand Welcome aboard, Aman and Dancing!

Whoops. It seems my Mirth has caught ahead of me >.<

I just read your post, Dancing Spawn and Aman! Yes, Corsair games are the fun (not that I'd know. This is my first) I will enjoy your presence!

Pio- I just sent you a PM with the approved profiles!

Please bear with me if my box is full. I have about 4 PM's I'm saving, and the rest just keep flowing in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ever inquisitive Folwren
Edit: One last thing! Playing the role of a Captain, and having to write the history of him, I need to know - do you think that they would have trained captains and officers as they did back in the 1800's? (Really, if you haven't picked up on it yet, I don't know much about ships out of that time period.) As in, whilst a boy, he decides he wants to join, goes in, and is one of the 'young gentlemen' and learns on board ship, living there, doing the work, learning from the Captain and ship's tutor, makes his way up from there, and eventually is rated Captain? I doubt Tolkien thought about that too much, so if no one has any opinion one way or another on this matter, Alcarillo and I can figure it out.

At this point, I really don't care It's up to you. One of the reasons why I picked a game like this is because it's just a little blotch in the Appendicies
Quote:
1810 - Telumehtar Umbardacil retakes Umbar
There aren't are real boundries, except that the Corsair lords must die, Telumehtar can't, and the Gondorians have to win. Beyond that, It's all up to you (basically !
Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #54
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

I'm putting together the Discussion Thread for the game. You can view the Bios/Posts there that Perky has approved.

~*~ Pio

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a reminder:

Only these people may post to the thread. All other posts will be deleted.
  • The Perky Ent - game manager

• Alcarillo
  • Amanaduial the archer
  • Anguirel
  • dancing spawn of ungoliant
  • Dunwen
  • Eorl of Rohan
  • Firefoot
  • Folwren
  • Hiriel
  • Kath
  • Thinlómien

• Shire mods - Piosenniel & Child of the 7th Age

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-05-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #55
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

oooo DT Pretty! I can't wait :-)
Old 10-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #56
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Ok, ok...behold the total boat-novice prepare to play the Captain of a Corsair ship. This could be interesting, and I've got a feeling that until I'm used to it...well, it ain't lookin' pretty. But then, we can't all be Johnny Depps

Sorry, just to get a few things straight: Firstly, the actual ship itself, and this is mainly addressed to those players who will also be aboard the corsair ship. What type of vessel are we looking at here, any particular preferences? My first choice would probably be the Xebec, or Shebec. Quoting one of Pio's resources:
Quote:
The Shebec was favoured among Barbary pirates for she was fast, stable and large. They could reach 200 tons and carried from 4 to 24 cannon. In addition she carried from 60 to 200 crewmen. The Shebec had a pronounced overhanging bow and stern, and three masts which were generally lateen-rigged. In addition to sails she was rowed.
Stability would be especially good for a fighting ship; rowing in addition to sails fits with the slaving business on these ships; fast but, as can be seen from the picture, fairly streamlined, would make it easily manoeverable and both good for attack and escapes; and the large size would make the Lords happy, as it looks pretty darn fiersome. The whole shape of the ship would make a rather fiersome silhouette as well - fiersome and certainly distinctive, no? Ooh, and I rather like the look of that there spike a-sticking out of the back as well...

The alternative option would be either a Carrack or a Man of War. These two have advantages in that they are...well, to call them chunky would be an understatement, I think the phrase used on the site I'm looking at it 'towering giants'. These are the true power in the water - they would both be almost impossible to take unless the enemy had the element of surprise, and in this sense would be quite suitable for the ship on which the two Lords of Umbar were to travel. However...as the size increases, the manoeverability rather decreases - they would be nowhere near as fast as the Xebec, and for a pirate vessel this is a serious downer. What is more, while I'm sure they could probably accomodate oar decks as well, I'm not entirely sure, and this would make them unsuitable for this game. And I don't think they would appeal to Sangalazin's aescetic senses So I suppose, unless anyone really feels particularly attached to having The Mother of All Hulks, then these sort of ship builds are out.

Personally, I prefer the Xebec. I suppose that the Brigantine (the more traditional type of ship - think Pirates of the Caibbean. Here....) would work about as well as the Xebec in most ways, but personally I prefer this type of ship - it is undoubtedly fearsome and distinctive, very fitting for the purposes of the corsairs, and, well, it's just so snazzy!

Secondly...well, there was a secondly, but on second thoughts (three times in one sentence, good lord get a new vocabularly...) I think I shall simply attack the profile and hope what comes out is suitable! Please let me know what you think about the ship (Xebec, xebec, xebec...)
Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #57
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

POSTED TO THE DISCUSSION THREAD ~*~ PIO

Okay, Perky, here is my character bio and first post. The post is not very long, and I hope it will do. If you want more, I can certainly write it. Just say so. I hope everything else fills expectations.

-- Folwren

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – Yes...well, I’m in the midst of one.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Just one.

List them, please: Red Flows the Sirranon

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – Yes, I have.

Folwren's character:

NAME: Captain Hereric son Hothlere

RACE: Gondorian

WEAPONS: Hereric uses a broad sword best. His sword has a four foot, white blade with a silver hilt and handle. In the pommel is set a single blue stone. The hilt is decorated with thin, slender vines make of silver twining and encircling it.

Besides his skill with a sword, he can use the bow well, and has some ability with casting a spear.

APPEARANCE: He is not tall, really, compared to most Gondorians, and stands only six foot one. However, he has a powerfully built body, and a commanding eye and bearing which make up for his height. Brown hair, lightened by the almost constant sunlight, dark, penetrating brown eyes.
He usually wears no armor and is dressed (at most times) in a while shirt, laced at the throat, brown breeches, mid-calf boots. On such occasions as welcoming the King aboard the ship, he’ll have his coat and hat on, with his sword at his side, cutting a handsome and military figure.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Captain Hereric is a taut captain, but neither brutal or cruel to his men. It is rather necessary to retain rather stiff discipline at sea, but his crew does not resent him for it, and they all rather like their captain. He has a very quiet character most of the time, and usually only becomes visibly angry or annoyed at such busy, confusing times as preparing for a voyage and while they’re still at the wharfs and harbors. Once sail is spread he’s back to his regular self, calm and generally quiet.

In any sea battle, he can make quick, difficult decisions on a moment’s notice. He knows his ship from bow to stern and every curve and rope therein, and is therefore able to direct her in difficult places and times at sea, or anywhere.

His weaknesses lie in his habit of withdrawing himself when things aren’t going well, or aren’t going his way (not in the stubborn, spoiled child sense, but as a sea officer). At such times, he’ll become even less talkative, stern, and altogether impassible. Another is that he gets unaccountably excited in battles, and though his sometimes reckless actions has never gotten him or his ship and crew into any trouble that he couldn’t pull them back out of again, it still is dangerous.

All in all, he’s a great leader and an excellent captain, knowing both his men, his ship, and his business well.

HISTORY:

Hereric was born to Hothlore and Aanel in 1728 in Osgiliath. His father was a captain at the time of his birth and continued being so until his death in one of the many, random battles with the Corsairs in 1738. From that day forward, Hereric wanted to go and join the Navy in hopes of someday taking revenge for his father’s death. His mother let him go and in 1739, at age 11, he joined.

Having had such a father as Hothlore, he did not have a difficult time finding his way as one of the junior officers onto one of the ships. That is not to say he had many privileges when he was a boy, but he wasn’t considered a regular seaman. He worked his way up the ladder, learning first about the knots and sails, and then navigating skills. He was taught the necessary mathematics and astrology necessary to successfully captain and sail a ship. He learned to read and write, tell time by the sun, and take and fulfill responsibilities given him. Before becoming a captain in 1795, he had served as several of the higher ranking officers.

In 1795 he was appointed Captain and given his first ship. It was small and not particularly fast nor very nice, but in two years he was given a higher rating and given a different ship - the one he presently sails. It was one that he had sailed most of his earlier years. He found it a great advantage, knowing the way it sailed almost as soon as he set foot to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folwren's post:

Captain Hereric stood on the deck of his ship, his hands folded behind him, and his eyes watching the bustle of his men below. The muscle in his jaw slowly clenched and unclenched and a constant, grim expression lingered on his face. The last day before setting sail was always hard enough without the extra stress of greeting a king. It would have to be his ship, wouldn’t it? But then, she was very fine, wasn’t she? He glanced up at the ropes and rigging above his head. The fine lines against the clear blue sky, and the proud Gondorian flag fluttering slightly in the breeze. She was a gorgeous ship, and her crew one of the best. He had little nor no doubts of her performance, and he would not have had any worries in the least had it not been for the condescending manner of the king’s own advisor.

Hereric’s jaw tightened again and he looked towards the pier. Of all people, he thought he disliked the condescending sort. The very thought of being looked down on by anyone on his ship was extremely annoying and entirely intolerable. He’d have to work on that if the two of them were going to be stuck together for more than a few days.

The approach of his first left-tenant brought his attention back to his ship and he watched as the young man mounted the steps to his side. ‘Sir, the last of the water is on, and the meat. That should be the last shipment on board from the port. The last attachment of soldiers, also, will be arriving shortly, no doubt.’

‘Yes, I should imagine so,’ Hereric replied. He glanced over his shoulder at the sun and back down. ‘Prepare my barge. You will go to the landing and greet his majesty the King.’

In a few moments, the boat was by the ship’s side and the left-tenant with the Captain’s coxswain climbed over the side and were rowed towards the landing. The Captain remained where he stood, giving the last orders, and preparing the ship for the king’s arrival. It would not be long.

Hereric kept half an eye on his men on shore. Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad. The wait at the docks and the stress of making certain that everything was bought and delivered to the ship always made him impatient and peevish. The counselor had likely been under stress himself when he had spoken to him.

‘Forimar,’ he said, turning to a man walking past below him. ‘Get all this squared away and prepare the deck for the king’s arrival.’

Note to everybody - It was generally the custom in the Brittish Navy couple hundred years ago for the Captain to greet whoever he was greeting on his own ship, rather than going to meet him at the landing. That's why Captain Hereric didn't go with the left-tenant.

-----

Edit: Just setting things up for an easy transfer to the discussion thread. ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-05-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #58
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Here is a general pic of what the Corsair ships look like: In all the pictures I've seen of them (And I've seen around 8) they all seem to be around that kind of shape and size. Similar to the Shebec...I guess. Another picture

Hope those help.

Folwren, yeah...I might need a little more. Just a little more about your characters depth, or what's going on around him. Also, for your history, I think there's one problem with it. By the time of your character's birth, Osgiliath would have already been an almost ghost town, since the plague had destoryed most of it. Do you think he could live elsewhere, or was he really living in the decaying city? Otherwise, it's a good character sheet.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:02 PM   #59
Hiriel
Wight

Hiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Hiriel
Shield

PLACED ON DISCUSSION THREAD ~*~ PIO

Ok, revised post up.
---------------------------------

RPG's I'm currently involved in: None
RPG's I've played in: None
Inns I’ve posted at: I've posted in the Green Dragon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiriel's character

NAME: Azaryan

RACE: Umbarian Male

WEAPONS: Azaryan is most skilled with a broad falchion, serrated in an almost wavelike pattern at the tip to leave a particular mark on its victims. He also carries a recurve bow, painted black and carved with eyes at both ends. More for superstition’s sake than anything else, he wears around his neck a dagger that belonged to Castamir himself, and carries an arming sword in the tradition of warriors of Numenor, although he isn’t particularly fond of using either of them.

APPEARANCE: Much to his chagrin, Azaryan is short for one of Numenorian blood, standing only 5’6”, though he is of imposing build. His eyes are beady gray, and intense. His raven hair is kept short, curling a little under his ears. Almost his entire body, certainly his countenance, is harsh and pronounced, as if worn away by waves on a coast. This is only added to by a scar that runs parallel to his jawline, which gives him a look of cruel amusement, a second war-made smile.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Focused to the point of mania, Azaryan is a man bred with one purpose in mind – the retaking of Gondor for the Castamirioni –which he follows with a ruthless energy and obsession. He is somber and distrustful, but calculated and a brilliant mind. Though fair spoken and persuasive, he detests people, and would rather be left to himself, sometimes doubting his abilities as a commander and bitterly regretting his lineage. Probably because of this, he is given to a fierce temper and a menacing nature, save when it serves his ends to act otherwise. His only real release is in raiding, when he can assert in glorious battle the dominance of the Castamirioni, and take one more step towards the realization of all his passions and labors.

HISTORY: Born in 1721, Azaryan was the firstborn son of Zigurada and Angamaite, whose three greats grandsire was Castamir the Usurper, and thus groomed early to be lord of Umbar, though his sister Zairia was four years his elder. Tutored to be severe and commanding, any exuberance he had was quickly flogged out of the boy as he began studies of combat, language, and his family’s history. After a plague ravaged Umbar in his tenth year, killing both his sister and mother, Azaryan was rather unceremoniously sent away to sea, and rarely saw home for the next thirty years as he learned seamanship, waterways and tactics.

At forty he became a captain in his own right, and began making more aggressive moves further and further along the Gondorian coast, until towards the end of a routine refitting, his father became sick and was obliged to stay on the mainland lest he should have to succeed him. Thus stymied, he again set about his academic studies, this time mostly of ancient battles and strategies. The only person with whom he made any attempt to associate with was his younger cousin, whose intelligence impressed him but who he had only met on a handful of occasions.

His father lingered on for a good four years ere Azaryan could succeed him, and some say the son had to take matters into his own hands for anything to change. Obliged to come out of his solitude, Azaryan set about taking more control over the raids against Gondor, and prosecuted them with a greater ferocity. He has left most of the physical governing up to others, though sporadically he paid domestic business the same attention he gave his navy. At seventy-two, he ordered the building of a much larger fleet, indebting himself somewhat to his Haradric neighbors. But now that fleet is almost entirely manned and ready, he senses a weakness in Gondor’s lack of response and frustration about the success of his assaults; and feels that perhaps, in his lifetime, he might see the Eldacarioni fall, and take back Gondor as part of his rightful kingdom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiriel's post

A tortured wail rose up from the ribs as Lord Azaryan paced. He sighed slowly, closing his eyes and letting the wooden moans relax his muscles. A terrible headache churned within his temples, and so he allowed the groans to wash over him, a rough but steadying chorus. He had always liked the sound of waves belowdecks better than on shore, the clash of water on wooden shield. It was like some grand ancient battle.

He loitered in the relative solitude of the armory, liking to take ease in unusual places. It took longer for anyone to interrupt him, and it gave the greenhand ensigns a good scare to have to look for their lord and captain from mess to forecastle, wardroom to deepest hold, not knowing what corner he would be waiting around to yell at them. He smiled at the thought, glad to be back at sea again. All matters of supplies, gold, crime and court were put aside, and only important things left were stealth and wind and tide. It had been too long.

But, then, there had been much to plan for this voyage. Gondor, the tiring old eagle, usually ventured some response to the corsair raids that were rapidly becoming a way of life along the coast. In the last few months, however, the gnats of Dol Amroth and other coastal garrisons sat silent, suffering any abuse from his fleet without retaliation. Azaryan started pacing the squat room faster and found himself knocking into stacks of spears and quivers in his fiendish glee, half tripping over the toppled weapons in his energy.

They must be weak. There is no other reason why Telumehtar would not protect his own. They must be panicked. Nay, deperate. Ha! I may yet see the White City.” Twitching, he licked his lips and his thoughts skipped, leaping from one glorious picture to the next: This raid raising Pelegir, corsair ships landing up and down the coast, Dol Amroth in flames, the great fleet the Haradrim were still clamoring payment over pulling into Harlond, Telumehtar knelling, weeping before him at the base of the white throne. Feeling more elated than he had all day, Azaryan now bit his lip and began running over the plans of attack on Pelegir over again in his mind. If the river town was neutralized, then, only with greatest speed could he move the fleet to Harlond and Osgiliath. The army of Umbar was too small to take on Gondor’s in a pitched battle, but an assault on the Harlond and Osgiliath might cow it. The thought quickened his breath.

“Enough strategy, Azar,” A warm voice chuckled, rolling like a swell, and knocked him out of his reverie. “I have done nothing to suggest that was what my mind was turned to,cousin.” He recovered, recognizing the voice of Lord Sangalazin, his own like the crack of a spar. “Why else would a sea lord cloister himself for three hours in a cramped armory?” The man framing the doorway asked with mock innocence. “I see no reason to explain myself or my actions to you, and indeed I have no need to.” Azaryan cut back airily. “How goes it, then?” “There are a lot of ‘ifs’ yet, and the mouth of the Anduin is our most pressing problem at the moment. Telumehtar knows the river, and so we must evade the eyes he plants its coast.” His face dimmed, frowning at as his problems and dragging down his features.

“That may not be so. We’re in sight of land, Azar, inside the very mouth of the river and not even a fishing boat to great us.” Azaryan started; This was news that stabbed at his gut. “Than either he either he is a fool or an ungracious host.” He frowned deep, his grip on his settings slipping as he absorbed this information. “Well, I think we would both rather him a fool. Indeed, he and I would have something in common, I agreeing to come on this silly venture.” The wry comment brought him back to the armory. “Stop trying to be witty. I can dismember you at will for demeaning the importance of our military endevours this day.” Sangalazin only gave lopsided grin to the terse threat.
“That’s what makes it so fun, cousin.”

Azaryan growled in the back of his throat. Ever had Salgalazin been petty and lacked the proper focus for a lord of Umbar. Only his sharp intelligence, far greater than any other of his family, redeemed him. Not willing to be sidetracked by his cousin’s foolishness, Azaryan plodded on. “We know at least that Telumehtar is not one. But perhaps he falters. Perhaps Umbar’s threat has undone him and he sweats and frets on that great marble perch of his. I can think of no other reason he does not act against us. Regardless, we will give him something to fret about, pompous Eldacarioni.” He spat the last sentence out, a solemn vow.

“Then we should begin by going ondeck.” Azaryan nodded, bared a quick, vicious grin, and followed the beaconing figure out of the ships’ bowls and into the fresh sea air.

Edit by Pio - just for easy transfer to the Discussion Thread

4 8 15 16 23 42 ~Proud Lostaway

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-04-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #60
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally posted by Perky:
Folwren, yeah...I might need a little more. Just a little more about your characters depth, or what's going on around him. Also, for your history, I think there's one problem with it. By the time of your character's birth, Osgiliath would have already been an almost ghost town, since the plague had destoryed most of it. Do you think he could live elsewhere, or was he really living in the decaying city? Otherwise, it's a good character sheet.
Okay, then, I can write more. Little problem there, I'm sure.

And, yes, I can definitely fix the Osgiliath thing. *blushes for not the first time this thread* I had my doubts when I wrote that, but I didn't know for a fact if it was possible or impossible. I'll fix it sometime this evening or tomorrow.

Till later.

-- Folwren
Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #61
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Folwren

The city of Osgiliath may be decayed -- but the captain could certainly come from one of the holdings about the city proper. There would still be people living there. And it's a scant 15 miles or less from Osgiliath to Minas Anor Minas.

Your choice, Folwren.

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-04-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #62
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

PLACED ON DISCUSSION THREAD ~*~ PIO

Here's my character for the RPG. Tell me if anything's amiss!

And shouldn't Minas Tirith still be called Minas Anor? I don't want to force everybody to redo their character bios, but it's called Minas Anor in the years 1636 and 1900 in the timeline in ROTK, and our story takes place between the two dates.

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Which one?

I'm playing one at the moment, but besides from that one, nope.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?

Red Flows the Sirannon

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – Yes, I have

For your character please include:

Alcarillo's character

NAME: Captain Mirimon Vórimandur

RACE: Man, Gondorian

WEAPONS: Captain Vórimandur's favorite weapon is a family heirloom: a sword from Númenor named Sercendil. The guard is set with a single sapphire on each side. The hilt is bound in blue cloth. A ranga long, the sword is more of an ornament than a weapon and Captain Vórimandur is hesitant to use it, lest it be damaged. He prefers to use a short spear when boarding enemy ships, and there's always a healthy supply onboard. In addition to his sword, Vórimandur also has a yew bow, about three feet long. He uses it when the Ráca is coming alongside an enemy ship within bow range.

When it comes to armor, Captain Vórimandur settles for a breastplate engraved with an image of the White Tree and a set of pauldrons for his soldiers (all of which is meticulously polished hours before battle). Sometimes he also wears a chain-mail skirt extending to his knees.

APPEARANCE: Captain Vórimandur is six feet and four inches tall, evidence of Númenorean ancestry. His slightly wavy hair is a fading black mixed with silvery grey at the temples. His hair is long and covers his ears, but it does not reach much further. In back it touches the base of his neck. He has a scrawny moustache and beard of a salt-and-pepper color. It's little more than overgrown stubble. His eyes are green, his nose is aquiline, and his skin is dark and lined from his travels. His shoulders are wide, and his arms are strong after years of a life at sea.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Captain Vórimandur is most noted for his strong dislike of anything even remotely related to Umbar and the South. He's picked up this grudge during his years at sea fighting the Corsairs, and especially when the first ship he fought on was destroyed off the coast of Belfalas.

Captain Vórimandur is also competitive. He strives to be the first to destroy a particular enemy ship in battle, for instance, and pushes his men to great extents to reach it. Together with his hated for Umbar and his ability to think on his feet, he makes a fierce enemy in battle.

Vórimandur loves his ship and his crew, but is also a stern leader, and punishes those who disobey his authority as any captain would. He has a taste for fancy dress, which means that he fights every battle in dazzling armor and a swirling cape. He seems a little eccentric to the other captains.

HISTORY: Mirimon Vórimandur was born in the year 1727 of the Third Age in Minas Anor. His father, Vanyacar, was the innkeeper of the Galloping Horse. His mother, Eruvande, helped her husband by doing chores around the inn. Mirimon Vórimandur's childhood was spent at the inn and earning a small salary doing chores. he didn't have many friends his own age, but he did befriend many of the inn's frequent visitors: sailors, soldiers, and travelers.

Vórimandur lived at the Galloping Horse until he was sixteen years old, when he joined the navy, inspired by the tales told by the inn's guests. He first served aboard the ship Telpelingwë as a deckhand, but after many years of fine seamanship he rose through the ranks to third in command. The ship was sunken fifteen years later off the coast of Belfalas, when it was attacked by two Corsair vessels. Vórimandur and the other survivors escaped clinging to the Telpelingwë's wreckage. They were rescued by the Eärmacil and taken to Linhir. Vórimandur never forgave the Corsairs for what they did to the Telpelingwë, and still has a deep grudge for anything from the south.

Vórimandur now stayed off the seas for some years, and returned to Minas Anor. Here he tended the Galloping Horse with his mother (his father had died of a particularly vile fever while Vórimandur was aboard the Telpelingwë). He soon fell in love with a local seamstress, Lothwen, and in 1758 they married. Vórimandur's daughter Morwen was born five years later.

Vórimandur was content running the inn, but he still felt the desire to work with ships once more. The opportunity came in 1776, when he joined the crew of the Ráca. He replaced a dead navigator, and soon his earlier experience helped Vórimandur make his way up to second-in-command, next to Captain Brithion.

The Ráca patrolled the waters about Tolfalas. She was a larger vessel than the Telpelingwë, and had a larger crew, and more soldiers. Vórimandur was back on the high seas on a dazzling ship. She had many battles with the Corsairs, and won most of them. Vórimandur's wealth and fame grew until he and his family bought a mansion on Minas Anor's fifth level, where he stayed with Lothwen and Morwen between voyages.

In 1789 Captain Brithion was killed in a battle with the Corsairs by falling rigging. Vórimandur became the ship's captain, and since then his skill in battle has caught the attention of King Telumehtar. Now, Captain Vórimandur relishes the opportunity to strike at the heart of the Corsairs' empire.

Alcarillo's post

Captain Vórimandur paced his office in the Ráca's stern impatiently. He and his crew had woken up before sunrise to prepare for this voyage. For long hours they packed all of their food, weapons, clothing, sea charts, and other necessities into the ship. Then they checked for sails for tears, and then the decks were swabbed until the Ráca was the cleanest ship for leagues in all directions. Captain Vórimandur had put forth all of his effort to ready the ship, but now the only thing to prevent them from sailing to victory and glory was the King of Gondor himself. It was now nearing midafternoon, and King Telumehtar had not arrived. Thrice already had Captain Vórimandur asked the king's attendant on the pier when the king would arrive, and each time the answer was the same: soon.

He could barely wait any longer to sail off. The thrill of a new voyage pounded in Captain Vórimandur's heart. He opened the stern windows wide and searched the docks for any sign of the king, but there was none. He sighed and leaning against the window frame watched the sailors of the other ships prepare. Maybe we shouldn't have began so early.

"Sir?" a sailor stepped through the open cabin door, and Captain Vórimandur turned his head from the window. It was Caradhril, a trusted navigator, and a member of the Ráca's crew for nearly three years now. Caradhril cleared his throat and said, "Sir, the sailors are getting bored. There's nothing more to do. Some of them are wandering the docks and the other ships."

"Really?" Captain Vórimandur was surprised and had not thought about what the sailors were doing at the moment. He sat at his desk, ornately carved with nautical symbols. "Tell Morgond to round up the sailors. I want all of them back on the ship by the time the king arrives." He considered for a moment what sort of punishment should await them. Then a silver trumpet blared somewhere on the pier.

"The king has arrived! Caradhril, hurry!" Vórimandur said. Caradhril turned and ran into the deep hallways of the Ráca. It was all those new sailors from Lossarnach, unused to how life on a ship worked. Vórimandur moved back to the stern windows to catch a good look at the king, and to keep an eye out for his wandering sailors.

Darn, Aman, I wanted the xebec! But you beat me to it fair and square.

-------------------------

Note: Edit just to set up for easy transfer to the Discussion Thread ~*~ Pio

Last edited by Alcarillo; 10-10-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #63
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Alcarillo

Good catch on Minas Tirith!

The city should be called Minas Anor.

I'll edit any changes on that on the Discussion Thread entries - can everybody else make sure their posts reflect this fact.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 10-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #64
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Looks good, Alcarillo! Welcome aboard (literally )
Old 10-05-2005, 05:41 AM   #65
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
If it wouldn't be a rude question to ask, how many times in a week y'all are planning to post? EG. Once a day, Thrice a week, etc. Just a general statement. Dadaickson, of course. (Korean proverb, meaning, more many, the better.) If you post a lot, then I can post a lot too (end of midterm exam, going crazy with boredom) without feeling guilty. But then, I'm not the game owner, so I'm just collecting information. They're hard to come by for a novice.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #66
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, Perky, last night I added a bit more to the post. If you still want more...well, I can manage it, likely.

And I've decided to keep them in Osgiliath. Somebody has to be born there at that time, I guess. It's easier that way.

If you want anything else changed or added, just let me know.

-- Folwren
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #67
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White-Hand

Eorl - The minimum I belive for you is once every two weeks. If you don't post within two weeks without giving a reason as to why you haven't posted, your character will be killed off. For me, I believe I have to post twice a week (?). Those are just the minimums. If I were you, I'd post around three times or more in a week, but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #68
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Just to let everyone know - I'm adding Kath and Thinlómien to the list of players per Perky's OK.

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-05-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #69
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hi all! I've read through this thread so I know mostly what is going on. Perky how soon will you want a character bio and first post from me?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:08 PM   #70
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Please note I've added a new player to the roster with Perky's permission.

Dunwen will be filling a 3rd slot as a Soldier on Alcarillo's ship.

~*~ Pio
Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 AM   #71
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Thank you for letting me join in, Perky . I am a complete RPG novice, so hopefully I won't mess things up too much. Just in case, I'm trying to create a character who can be easily killed off. I have a bio for him, and am working on my first post.

Yikes, it's past my bedtime and I have to get up early tomorrow!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:46 AM   #72
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, Dunwen, welcome to the Barrow-Downs, and this roleplay. A lot of us are novices here, including me, so don't feel scared - if you don't know anything, ask Pio through PM, and if Pio scares you, Bethberry is always available. I was probably the worst mess-up roleplayer in the history of barrow-downs the last time I played, and I'm still here, ain't I? So, anyway, welcome!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #73
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Please note:

Fordim Hedgethistle, with Perky's approval, will be joining your able crew as the commander belowdecks of the slaves.

In his own words:

Quote:
make my guy into a slave who is the acknowledged "leader'" of the other slaves due to toughness, long service and general salty-dogginess . . .
. . . and Corsair Captain - Beware!

~*~ Pio
Old 10-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #74
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Dear. Sounds like he could give Sangalazin a right bloody nose if he got close enough...
Old 10-06-2005, 08:24 AM   #75
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hi!
I'll be playing a soldier on the second gondorian ship. I really look forward to this RPG, because it's my first BD RPG, and my first internet RPG. So, I'll probably be making a lot of mistakes, so please correct me.
I'm working with my character bio now, and I need to know a few things. How long does a gondorian soldier schooling take? Is my character just a row soldier (as I suppose)? If so, is it preferable that he's quite young?
And for the first post: where do I start; will I write about him in the ship or ashore?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:19 AM   #76
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

For your sailing pleasure - use or ignore as you like!

Here’s a link to a few facts about the Xebec.

-------------------------

This might also be of interest.

It’s an Athenian trireme – the page is from a Greek site, but you can still get a sense from the picture how the rowers were placed and where the sailor/soldiers positioned themselves, the captain on his chair, the rudderman, etc. And look at the lovely ram at the front of the ship - just the thing to punch holes in a ship of Gondor.

Trireme

These are the trireme's specs:

Overall length: 37 metres (121 feet)
Overall beam: 5.5 metres (18 feet)
170 oarsmen in 3 files on each side: top file 31, middle and bottom 27 each
Oarsmen spaced at 2 cubits (0.888 metres/2 feet 9 inches)
One man per oar
Oar length 4.2m (13 feet 8”) and 4.0m (13 feet) - short oars at ends of ship
Speed: able to cover 184 sea miles at about 7.5 knots without stopping
Old 10-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #77
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Thanks for that Pio, although the Greek design does look a little different from the Xebec. Xebec. Great word.

Welcome Dunwen - and don't be silly, I'm sure you won't 'mess anything up' - hey, you did just fine on the Green Dragon And Fordim- my my, I just can't get rid of you, can I? I'll have my bio up in a day or two; I'm looking forward very much to playing on the same ship as you, 'Snaveli'- sorry, Fordy.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #78
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I'm getting really excited about this! I try to finish my character's bio and First post so I can send them out tomorrow. I just need to know how many men per oar Aman's boat has. Two, three?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #79
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

I would say two - it is a relatively small ship, although I would like to slightly...exaggerate it's size I would say two men per oar though.

Also, please bear with me for the occasional spelling mistake - a few of the keys on my keyboard are refusing to work unless stamped upon very heavily, so I apologise if there are sporadically missing 'w's, 'a's or 'o's. Or 'q's, actually, but then, I don't use that many of them anyhoo...
Old 10-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #80
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril Corsair Captain - Captain Chatazrakin Telmenzar

Ok, here's the profile - the first post is to follow soon...

I apologise if I appear to be taking a few liberties with the family line here – Perky’s family tree simply left some spaces blank, so adding a miscellaneous scion didn’t seem too out of canon… Hope this is alright anyway.

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs?
– YES – Which one(s)? Brotherhood, a story from the Last Alliance; Rivendell; Cirith Ungol; The Undying Lands; Last Hope for Moria; Wolf Run; Search for the Lost Messenger; Gondorian House Call; Shadow of Umbra; Ride to the Dark Side; Crimson Sword; The Ambassador’s Son; Escape from Nurn; An Audience with the King; Kidnapped!; Roll Out The Barrels; Legacy of Traitors; Bloodstained Elanor; Land of Darkness; Shadow of the West; Fall of the North; Red Flows the Sirranon.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? One

List them, please: Red Flows the Sirranon

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES.

Amanaduial the archer's character

NAME: Captain Chatazrakin Telmenzar (shortened to Rakin)

RACE: Corsair – Black Numenorean

WEAPONS: Rakin’s primary weapon of choice is a cutlass, not unusually for a corsair – the relatively short blade is perfect for hand to hand fighting in the narrow confines of a deck, for either a slash or thrust action, and is less likely to get tangled in the rigging of the ship than a longer, showier sword or rapier. His own weapon is fairly unadorned, an item of necessity, but he has had a few changes made to the cutlass for practicality: the hardwood handle is bound over with leather, not the usual, smooth leather used for clothes, but rougher beaten leather, so as to maintain both comfort and an all-important good grip when the weapon gets wet – this is where many seamen may fall down, for shiny leather slips easily across sweaty palms and can cost a sailor’s life. The basket, curving around to protect the fingers, is solid rather than more decorative filigree (which can cut into the hand if it is too fine when pressure is applied), but is of a strange metal that almost seems to shine black – a mysterious and rather fine touch that gives the whole sword a rather more elegant appeal, and is carved on the outside simply with his name, ‘Chatazrakin’, along the very edge of the basket. He has a second, more decorative sword – corsairs have little need for dress swords but, well, just in case. However, Rakin is not confined entirely to the sword: inside that coat of his lies a regular little armoury, ranging from a variety of small, simple, easily concealable daggers (often lost and so dispensable), to a slender link-chain, about a foot in length, to the no-nonsense knuckle-dusters in case of emergencies; the knife in his left boot is not strictly for battle, although it is easily accessible enough to be turned to the purpose.

APPEARANCE: Chatazrakin bears little similiarity to his half-brother bar the distinctive height of the Numenoreans, as he stands at about 6ft 5, an average height for Numenoreans but a feature that marks him out from others. However, he has none of the physical frailty of his brother: he is well muscled and broad shouldered with his height, but not as fleshed out as might be expected, giving him the lean, dangerous look of a hungry wolf. Narrow, almost black eyes enhance this appearance, although his face is deceptively open and honest looking, useful for gaining trust or planning deception, although it can snap shut into anger or a wicked grin or laughter within an instant. He is essentially quite fine-featured and, to some eyes, quite beautiful, although it is a beauty that has borne a hard life at sea and a harder childhood on the streets. His fine, high cheekbones are pock-marked over on the left side with the old scars of childhood pox common among street children, and his skin is tanned although surprisingly unweathered by the elements, unusual for a seaman. His long, untamed black hair is pulled back into a plait from which plenty of straggling strands escape, often restrained under a black bandana. This only serves to enhance his roguish appearance, although generally he dresses more sedately, a mix-match of clothes including a loose shirt of hard-wearing but surprisingly pricey material, usually with the long sleeves rolled up to his elbows for practicality’s sake, although the colour may be less practical – the favoured white shirt makes a striking contrast against the black waistcoat which tops it, and Rakin has learnt that, far from being only a superficiality, appearance is subtly important in a trade of fear, and not to appear rather striking and wild would be almost foolishness, although such an appearance goes nicely with his own personality anyway. He will usually wear black breeches – not leather though, as this is hardly practical if they are likely to get wet – and watertight oiled black boots reaching up to his knees, with a long knife strapped down the outside of one, a must-have for sailors especially for disasters with the rigging or other ropes. Although he will be seen on the most unlikely days standing in the freezing cold with his thin shirt sleeves rolled right up, he is almost never seen without his battered black overcoat during battle; this may seem strange, but in fact the coat’s many inside pockets have served the corsair well many-a time when just a plain cutlass might not do, and the element of surprise is required, in the form of several small, well-concealed daggers, say. Plus the slim-fitting, split tailed coat looks so dashing when spun around, wouldn’t you say?

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Rakin is, basically, almost faultlessly intelligent: not the book-learned cleverness of the academics and aristocrats, but the natural smartness and cunning that is learned from a hard life from birth, growing up in an underworld of thieves and then onto the streets. This life taught him early on a few skills that others learn only with a lifetime of experience – ruthlessness and hardness that many would have found unnerving in one so young, cunning and slyness that made him a perfect thief and cheat, deceptive skills that allowed him to easily trick the gullible, but never to rely on trickery too much more than is necessary – why increase the risk of being caught too far? But he has learnt other skills with the experience of being a seaman, and a Captain: for example, although it takes strength to stand and fight and to lead his crew into battle, it also takes a lot of strength to know when to turn from a battle as well. However, although possessed of a certain shrewdness and knowledge that his late mother sadly did not, Rakin is also quite a proud man, and maybe a little vain – it takes a lot to make him turn from a prize, and his fierceness can prove to be disadvantageous sometimes, when his pride gets in the way of his sense. His ruthlessness makes him an ideal corsair, although the position of Captain of a corsair ship is a precarious one: to an extent, even while he controls them, he is at their mercy – to push them too far, to make one too many unjust decisions or be just a little too ruthless, or too soft, is to sign his own death warrant. It is a fine line that he has to tread. However, after having been a corsair for most of his life, and a captain for over a decade, Rakin has some very valuable allies, and most of his crew is hand-picked, a few men loyal to him through thick and thin. Rakin is also fiercely loyal to the Castamirioni (see History), although to have the two Lords of Umbar, aristocrats far higher ranking than himself naturally, puts him again in a rather precarious position. But although shrewd and, yes, rather careful, Rakin has never been one to back down and roll over – not unless it is to dropkick his opponent. Such a strong and fierce personality could cause some sparks if his own authority is challenged too far…

HISTORY: Chatazrakin – or Rakin for short – was the illegitimate child of the House of Castamir; Sangalazin’s uncle, Sangahyando was as susceptible to a few illicit affairs and debauched pleasures as his twisted offspring, and Rakin was the product of a drunken night’s extramarital debauchery in an Umbar tavern. Unlike some of the unfortunate illegitimacies of the heirs of the Castamir, Rakin did not try to lay claim to the power of his father’s family, and so he was one of the fortunate ones – those who accused the Lords of Umbar of such discrepancies were often later ‘taken care of’ before any threat to the pure line could come about, and such a fate was to befall Rakin’s unfortunate mother when her son was barely ten years old.

Rakin, though, possessed some of the shrewdness that his mother had sadly not had, and never tried to leech of his father’s family, although they were certainly aware of his presence; he would have been immediately put to death if it had been thought that he would ever try to assert a claim to the position of Lord of Umbar over his precious half-brother. But as time passed and Rakin slipped quietly into the shadows, maybe they forgot, or simply lost interest, deciding that the illegitimate brat of a prostitute with no proof posed no threat to Sangalazin, or to Azaryan. Without a mother or father, it was a wonder that the boy managed to survive as well as he did but in fact the young Rakin found this start in life more a freedom than a hindrance. He became a proficient thief, cheat and liar, passing himself off for older than his years and getting odd-jobs in taverns so as to take a tidy helping of profits, and with an ability to quickly pick up skills that was very much to his advantage, all as a matter of survival. However, it was only a matter of time before he got pulled up by one of the Inn customers who he tried to cheat when dealing a fixed hand of cards – the Quartermaster of one of the Corsair ships. But rather than be outraged and destroying the boy (he could have had him made a slave or killed – who would have noticed a scrawny orphan boy go missing?), the corsair was actually mildly impressed with the boy and, after punishing him of course (not the last flogging Rakin would have to endure), he took him on as an extra on the ship, as a trial of sorts, on the simple basis that with one wrong move, Rakin would be off the boat – and probably not when they were near dry land either.

Rather than resent the Quartermaster, a man who went simply by the name of Dagaz, for the flogging, the punishment and the severe treatment of his mentor gave him a healthy respect for the authority of those who ran the ships – in part, because he was the only one who had ever really taken any sort of interest in him, even if it was only to give him a hard time. His quick wit and ability to gain the trust of others, to make them listen to him, was an advantage; after some brief tutoring from Dagaz, his skills with the sword also improved, and he became quite a skilful fighter, although a lot of his power lay in his cunning and skill with ‘less orthodox’ methods of fighting, well honed from years of a street existence. These advantages and traits gained Rakin respect and close allies quite quickly, and in his late thirties the crew of his ship gained a very fine Gondorian war vessel, which, as the elderly Quartermaster had no desire for a ship of his own, Dagaz bestowed on the young man. It was an unusual design of ship, bearing more similarities to the ships of the corsairs than the Gondorians, and Rakin was immensely proud of the vessel, naming it ‘Fame and Fortune’ and, unlike many in his profession, he has stuck to the same vessel for most of his career ever since, a period of just over ten years.

They were ten quite fruitful years, although like any seaman his profession has had very pointed ups and downs, but both the peaks and the troughs of his career have given him a wealth of experience that have made him a fair but ruthless captain, proud but shrewd nonetheless, and a mean fighter along with it; a man of some respect and standing, both from the corsairs, Gondorians, and even those of higher standing in Umbar. This is probably why it was his vessel that was chosen to bear the Lords; in addition, either despite or partly due to his mixed heritage, as a captain, Rakin has always made his loyalty to the Castamirioni very clear, which to an extent is probably one trait that gained him favour with the descendants of Castamir, although he has never, and would never, attempt to ingratiate himself with them as some would. Rakin largely put out of his mind his heritage, descended from the line of Castamir, as it is of little relevance or importance to a simple seaman, and even the long-winded name that his mother lavished upon him as some mark of higher breeding (although a lot of good it did her) is more often than not shortened to simply Captain Rakin; he never found out whether Sangalazin knew, although he suspected that the debauched darling of the Castamirioni is oblivious to his very being. However, it is a strange coincidence indeed that he should end up in such close quarters to his preciously spoilt half-brother, especially on the high seas when all sorts of accidents can happen…

Amanaduial the archer's post

Edit: Just setting this up for transfer to the Discussion Thread ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-07-2005 at 11:45 PM.