Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2005, 04:01 AM   #281
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Your handling of Carthor was fine Saurreg, good post.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:58 AM   #282
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
First of all, my apologies for what must have been some length of time away from posting. I have been suffering somewhat from a lack of inspiration and found it hard to fit my character into the storyline - lots of marvellous fighting and soldierly discussion, but not what an ordinary person would be involved in? Hmmm... Ideas are welcome! But now the people are in hiding it might be a little easier; at the least, I can post some 'atmosphere' posts, showing how it might feel to be in such a situation, which is what I have done. Hope this is OK.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:44 AM   #283
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Good post Lalwendë! I should have my character come over and interract with yours as soon as possible.

New post up. Back to some good old role playing!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:28 PM   #284
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Responses.

Saurreg: The speaker in italics is Adam, my alter-ego. He wants the other Elves to say I'm presumptuous, and that they have other plans, in hopes of him seeing me deflate.

Forgive my alter-ego for any misunderstanding he may have caused.

Mith: I meant the kidnapping. (qv.)
Old 03-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #285
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I see...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 04-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #286
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Hello, all. Just checking in after a bit here to make sure all is going well. I do think it is time for another helpful prod in the proper direction. Since Hirvegil is sitting out, the plot has to be moved at a reasonable pace by the other characters, and I think that the troll battle should begin this weekend at the latest. It can last a bit, of course, but I had hoped it would already be underway. Osse, if you still have that post you mentioned in the works, I hope it can be placed up soon, unless I have somehow overlooked it.

This season brings a bit of a detriment to the corpus of the Downs; not an irreversible impediment, just a slow season. Still, I must push a little here, poke a little there to keep everything moving. Luckily, I am continually gladdened by the high quality of everyone's posts. Congrats, keep it up...

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 04-06-2005, 12:56 AM   #287
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hi, I thing the elves can take over from here now.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #288
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Here is a post from Amanaduial who is having computer problems: (And please disregard the '"sainted' title she has attached to my name.)

~*~ Pio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Kransha, elves, Dunedain, and assorted well-meaningly challenged beings,

At present my computer has, how you say...thrown a wobbly - ie. I am unable, at present, to get onto the barrowdowns at all, and so can't check up on the RPG. Unfortunately I hit another rock in that I have the emails of none of you - yaysies! - and so am mildly stuck as to what to do. Posting this message is the sweet saint Piosenniel (and if she removes this part of the message I shall come and haunt her, I'm not just saying it for the good of my health!) who has been giving me updates, but as she has kindly agreed to keep me updated on the current subplot of the Green Dragon and on Shadow of the West, my Rohan RPG....well, this is by way of taking off one load from her wings. Sorry, I mean shoulders.

I recieve some notifications for this RPG, but hotmail has a natural inclination, it would appear, for filing half the barrowdowns messages in junk - or at least, it has done in the past. Maybe no posts have yet been made (which is perhaps a good and bad thing), but either way, I have as yet recieved no notifications from the RPG or discussion thread (ie. since my last post made on the RPG). My email is

Aman left her email addy here, but I'd feel safer if you PM'd me and I'll send it to you -- Piosenniel****

I apologise for being such a burden, but if...if you could possibly send me a copy of a post that you make. I'm sorry! I feel a right nuisance (even if that may not be the correct spelling) but due to my browser's paddy, I am, as you say, in the mud (thank you, Encaitare!).

It would be immeasurably appreciated if you could do this - it should only be temporary, until I make up with my computer - he's terribly proud, you know, refuses to reconsile an arguement despite all pleas, bribes, threats and resorts to physical violence. If you have any other reason to get in touch with me, obviously PM ain't so much of a runner right now, so email is all good, and I am also on MSN with the same address (and AIM, but I feel that I'm definitely plugging now...*sigh* Amanaduial on AIM anyway...)

Thank you very much for your patience, and I hope to be back asap

Yours,
- Amanaduial

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-06-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:19 AM   #289
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Post was still in the works prior to exam week.. sorry, i haven't had time to finish it yet. Now exams are over, i'll have it up soon!
Old 04-10-2005, 07:11 AM   #290
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

The government wants Saurreg to put on his helmet and grab a rifle so he won't be around for the next two weeks.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:48 AM   #291
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

I need clarification: are Faerim and Erenor going off apart from the main group containing Carthor's family, Belegorn and the soldiery, or just taking the lead?

my post has been written, but i don't want it to clash with anyone else's.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #292
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've been discussing with Nuranar some ways of getting our characters involved so I've posted to that effect with a mishap for my character (Lissi will have something to do here...). But I have noticed that Osse has a post coming along about finding a storeroom so I just wanted to say that either:

- my post might need to be moved to before that one, and if so, please let me know if I have to do anything. I don't mind if it does have to be moved, though!

or

- seeing as the search party had halted, this might be that they had found the storeroom, and so my post would then 'fit' after Osse's. But it might mean that their discovery would be interrupted by some frantic screaming!

I'm fine either way, unless someone has a better idea!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #293
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My understanding is that it is elves taking the lead only - like canaries as a test for poisonous gas in mines..

Old 04-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #294
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Everyone please take the time to remove your signatures from both posts and SAVES to the game thread.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 04-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #295
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Reminder.

It's like, the summer vacation here, so all sources of work-free income is, like, cut off. And since I live, like, near a rice field, there's no way we could have, like, internet at home. So my Downs visits will be, like, curtailed.

But I'll fill that save, like, tomorrow.

Does the sabbatical require a brain shutdown? And multiple use of the word "like"?

Like, whatever.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:06 AM   #296
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lal: i can work around your sticky situation. harf harf harf.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:12 PM   #297
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Osse, once you get your post up I'll write Lissi's response to Renedwen's predicament. I don't want to jump the gun on your scene-setting.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:23 AM   #298
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Hello...again.

As some of you may know, I have, in fact, been unable to do any major "postage" on the Downs in the last few weeks, due to a non-lethal and not-dreadfully-painful but very inconvenient sickness. Now, I'm back, cured of all my ails, and glad to see that things are picking up a bit. Since, obviously, the troll encounter ended up being put off for over a week, I have to do some major hurrying along here. I realize it may be hard to post for some, but do try. The Dunedain/Elves and Trolls should be fighting by the end of this weekend at the latest, providing everyone is here and not somehow awol. Soon enough I'll be able to start doing some backseat propulsion, but this game is still in your [collective] hands.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #299
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Any probs with my post, just let me know... I have left it open enough for Ereglin to be with Erenor and Angore if he wishes ... I asumed Berethil stayed with the main group.

Old 04-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #300
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Ditto to Mithalwen. The fight is on!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #301
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

*steeples fingers*...Excellent...

What, you expected more?

To be a little more wordy, this conflict should go on awhile. Confusion in the tunnels should create ample oppurtunity for maneuvering and combat oddities. Hopefully, no one will be killed off, but I highly doubt the trolls will be defeated - highly. In about a week or so (real life), something maaay happen, but I make no promises. Post away, folks!

Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 PM   #302
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien My save is no more.

Meaning it is no longer a save - there is a post in it. *basks in self-approval for getting it filled in the self-imposed deadline*

Lalwendë, I hope I've handled Renedwen all right. Up till now I could hardly have seen her as anything but fully self-possessed. But if this situation wouldn't drive her to panic, what would? That said, I'll change anything if you want it. There wasn't much I could do in the way of setting up more meaningful interaction (either that or I'm giving up), although in my defense I must say that the upcoming battle ought to cut off anything of the kind most effectually.

Aman, I was trying to end my post in the right place, and was confused by your reference to the screaming. It looks like your post picks up right after Mithalwen's, in which the scream is centered, but then you mention more screams in the last paragraph. Is something else going to happen with Lissi and Renedwen? I can do that... I just want to make sure that I'm reading this right.

*re-reads post* I'm getting long-winded and incoherent. Apologies to all, and goodnight....
Old 04-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #303
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Well, whatever you wish, my dear - but I thought we may as well launch into the full blown fight. There are spiders and trolls whiffling through the tulgey caves - I think a little more trouble would be easy enough to manage Would that be alright? If you want them out and that's it, I will of course edit, but it just seemed...well, there's a fight: everyone loves a good fight
Old 04-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #304
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sounds good to me! Just double-checking that I wasn't tying the timeline in knots.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #305
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots

Hi!

I have filled my save. Sorry for the long wait! I've left it open at the end; you're all free to attack. Stuttering Stuga and Frett will not be present at the fight. Not now, anyhow.

When it comes to the troll's weapons; they didn't really bring any, so they'll have to use their intellect. Throwing stones at you, is also an option.

Please let me know if it needs editing!

Cheers,
Nova
Old 04-24-2005, 06:03 AM   #306
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

I was just filling my save, sorry it's been there so long btw, and i fell asleep at the keyboard. It's half done so i will finish it off first thing tomorrow, Australian time that is...

Sorry again for the delay, life is hell - fun, but hell.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:04 AM   #307
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Save = filled!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:18 AM   #308
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

I'm back... finally. I'll try to post ASAP.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:19 AM   #309
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

I blame myself for being away for the last two weeks.

Some clarifications needed please:

1. Was the spider that Faerim and Erenor slew the only one of its kind?

2. Did the spider stalk the group of refugees or did they unwittingly stumble into it's lair?

3. Are all trolls in front of the refugee column and encountered only by the elven vanguard and Carthor?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #310
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg, good to have you back.

My thoughts on the trolls were that as Renedwen screamed, and the smaller group of refugees rushed off to help, the majority of the group still stood and waited at the storeroom entrance. After they got lost, Carthor's group ended up snaking their way in the rough direction of the storeroom, though they didnt know it, and have come out behind the trolls as they stalked the rest of the group. Which means the trolls will have to decide who to bash the most.

This was just me, and I didnt really discuss these thoughts with anyone else. Hope i haven't dented anyone's upcoming material.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #311
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Firstly, great stuff, everyone. Drama in the catacombs is, for lack of a better word, dramatic, and the tension caused by the trolls, spiders, and inter-group relations is being done very well. Its good to have everyone here, and most people posting, even though I am still undergoing some recovery from the inconvenient ailment I mentioned earlier. But, that's beside the point. I've had to throw another curve-ball, but I hope it will turn out to be an interesting one.

There's something else in the caves of the Ered Luin, besides trolls and spiders. It's slightly more intelligent, as a collective force, and probably more helpful, but it has some downsides as well. My latest post introduces a new crew of additional characters. Rather than go into rambling now, I will let the post speak for itself, answer any and all questions, and go into detail a little later on...

P.S. Apologies to Edvard Grieg for the post title.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #312
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

How hard is it to kill a troll? Obviously they are big and think skinned and I guess wapping them over the head with a frying pan would have little effect but I can't remember any instances in the books of them being killed other than by daylight - I think Gandalf blocked the one in Moria...

Since I don't think there are windows handy and I doubt Erenor could shove a troll through one anyway even with Faerim's help ..... but could Erenor, Faerim and Angore tackle a troll as a trio or would they require a symphony orchestra of supporting dunedain..?

What about the ones at the Pelennor? (And why didn't they turn to stone...)

Old 04-29-2005, 12:07 PM   #313
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

There are six types of Troll written by Tolkien: See HERE. Only the Stone trolls encountered by Bilbo and the Dwarves were mentioned to be turned to stone with the sun's light.

I would imagine that if cleverly knocked down, a nice sharp stave/spear could be rammed in between the scales of the troll's hide (An armpit would be good - puncture the lung, and if shoved far enough and at a downward angle, the heart would be pierced). Or one right through the ear hole into the brain would do it. And of course there are always the eyes . . .

~*~ Pio, the bloodthirsty

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-29-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:28 PM   #314
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
There are six types of Troll written by Tolkien: See HERE. Only the Stone trolls encoutered by Bilbo and the Dwarves were mentioned to be turned to stone with the sun's light.

I would imagine that if cleverly knocked down, a nice sharp stave/spear could be rammed in between the scales of the troll's hide (An armpit would be good - puncture the lung, and if shoved far enough and at a downward angle, the heart would be pierced). Or one right through the ear hole into the brain would do it. And of course there are always the eyes . . .

~*~ Pio, the bloodthirsty
Eeeek Thank you .... *makes mental note to be very careful to delete sigs in future - incurring the wrath of Pio could be very painful ..... *

Old 04-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #315
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Angore hunts trolls. It's more or less what he does, and he does it solo, usually. What Pio said is why he carries those javelins with extra-long spikes on the top. I should think that the three of them would be capable of defeating a troll. Three trolls, on the other hand...
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 04-30-2005, 03:10 AM   #316
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots

Quote:
Three trolls, on the other hand...
Correction; only three trolls I have given names.. (Stuttering Stuga and Frett the Expelled are not included.)

From my last post
Quote:
In another tunnel, which bent into the opposite direction of where Stuttering Stuga and the newly deceased Frett were, a gang of trolls was lost in the dark; among them were Riva, the Old Hag, Uruva, the ‘Beautiful’, and the intelligent Grawa.
So, in truth there are no less than.... 6-7 trolls..

Good luck.. :P
Old 04-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #317
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg, Belegorn will no longer be alone for his little distraction... and I don't mean help from dwarves. The call of "RUN" should be echoing in Belegorn's ears pretty soon.

Oh and by the way, check your PM's.

Regards,
Osse
Old 04-30-2005, 10:52 PM   #318
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Yup, yup, I read your PM Osse!

So what say you?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:59 PM   #319
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Run up the flag of confusion!

I just went to write in my post, but I've gotted really mixed up when I tried to understand the situation. My understanding, as I read through the journeying posts, is that
  1. Most of the Elves & Faerim were in front.
  2. Belegorn, Bethiril, and (what appears to be) the main body of soldiers. (How many soldiers ARE there, by the way?)
  3. Carthor & Co., apparently including all of the civilians and miscellaneous soldiers.

That is how I construct the marching order. Now for a rundown of events, post-by-post:
  1. Renedwen wanders on when her group (#3) stops. She gets caught in spider web and starts screaming.
  2. Carthor's group investigate a storeroom and are interrupted by Renedwen's screams.
  3. Lissi, who had passed the storeroom, rescues Renedwen, and they head back; they are met by some of Carthor's group, and all turn back toward the storeroom once more.
  4. Elves & Faerim (group #1) as vanguard (well in front of everyone) hear Renedwen's screams and start back. Immediately they begin to hear troll drums from what is now behind them - what is waaaay in front of everybody.
  5. They run into Belegorn & Bethiril (group #2). On Belegorn's orders (and hearing of trolls), some soldiers retreat back up the tunnel (which ought to be toward group #3). Group #1, Belegorn, Bethiril, and the few remaining soldiers then hear different screams - from further back behind in the tunnel. Faerim takes off, followed by Erenor, and is attacked by something. I presume this is Renedwen's mistaken turnoff; if so, group #3 is still further back up the tunnel.
  6. The trolls hear a scream - EITHER Renedwen's OR the second set - follow up and meet with somebody.
  7. Erenor fights the spider that has attacked Faerim.
  8. Carthor, in front of the 6 or 7 men who left the storeroom after hearing Renedwen, meets up with Lissi & Renedwen coming out of the spidery turnoff. They head back to the storeroom but get lost. NOTE:
    Quote:
    In the confusion and hurry that had followed Renedwen’s scream, the group of six or seven men that had rushed to her had failed to mark their route. They were now far from the glow of the rest of the group’s torches as they stood perplexed at the door of the storeroom, and had no mark to guide them through the twisting and turning tunnels.
    I'm confused - who is the bolded they? If it's Carthor, Lissi, &c., where is the rest of group #3? I thought the first sentence quoted implies that there were some of group #3 - NOT the 6 or 7 men - who did not go to Renedwen. Or are they the rest of group #3, and it's their torches that Carthor, &c., can't find? Either way, Carthor, &c., run out of torchlight and into trolls. Carthor orders a general retreat.
  9. Faerim fights the spider.
  10. Erenor and Faerim kill the spider and are joined by Angóre.
  11. Belegorn and the rest of his soldiers head back up the tunnel, away from the trolls and toward the screams. Angóre eventually follows.
  12. Belegorn and his soldiers reach Faerim and Erenor and their kill, AND Lissi and Renedwen, some distance down the tunnel, but apparently still just recently rescued. They are with some refugees, which ought to be the main body of group #3. Belegorn orders Faerim to lead the women and the rest of the refugees into a side tunnel. Apparently Carthor is not with them - but Osse's post, in which they bump into trolls, includes Lissi, Renedwen, and presumably Brander. Belegorn heads waaaay back up the tunnel, past the spider turn-off, lights a flaming barricade, and heads up another turnoff to divert the advancing trolls.

My immediate problem is that Lissi is in two places at once: (1) Lost with Carthor's group and (2) back with the main body of refugees WITHOUT Carthor. Incidentally, Option 2 leaves unresolved the second set of screams, the ones that send Belegorn and his men back in Post 11. I was going to work this in with running into trolls, in Post 8, but if Lissi and Renedwen aren't running into trolls, who's screaming?

The other major confusion, as I see it, is How on earth does Carthor's group run into trolls in the first place? When they meet up with Lissi and Renedwen at the spider turnoff, they at least start to head BACK up the tunnel toward the storeroom. But they end up waaaay in FRONT of the main body, if they're running into trolls. And if they're in FRONT of the main body, how can the women's screams becoming from the BACK of the tunnel?

And incidentally, just how many people are on this little expedition? How many soldiers are along - and how many extra refugees? There can't be that many, if Lissi and Renedwen are the only women... Can there?

I am most seriously confused!
Old 05-01-2005, 04:12 AM   #320
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I'm glad you put that one on, Nuranar! I've been getting a bit confused too, and I was a bit daunted when I came to sit and write a post on Friday, so I had to leave it. I'd like Renedwen to follow where Lissi goes to be honest, so I am stuck.