Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #3161
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post

ps. I hope Athanar is not going to be too lenient with Thornden.
lol. You are SO kind. I don't care what he does, I just want it over with. Staying nervous for one's character for this long is not a healthy thing, I'm sure.

-- Foley
Old 06-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #3162
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Staying nervous for one's character for this long is not a healthy thing, I'm sure.
Sorry to have kept you waiting Foley. Even if I'm at the combined vacation / sick-leave it seems I get very little done as I seem to sleep half of the days... When one's body uses the most of its' energy in to the recovering-process it feels like one's head is quite energy-less due to that.

But hey, lord Athanar has now thrown a challenge to Thornden. I hope you enjoy it! It's not an easy place for Thornden...

PS. Foley: if you think Thornden would like to address some of the other things Athanar mentioned in my post please pay heed that lord Athanar would have none of it before Thornden answered the last question. So if you think Thornden would like to start from some other issue, you can write Athanar making it quite clear he wil listen nothing before his question is answered - quite in the way he did when hearing Lithor & Erbrand back then. That's a trait he will always be stern over: if he asks something as the lord, the subject will have to answer the question.

It's also a question of writing. It's a lot of fun to write the discussion between the two, but as we're not sure when the other is able to continue, it easily turns into long monologues leaving the other writer a host of things to comment on.

So after we have dealt with this question, and if you think Thornden would like to bring other issues to the fore, we should then construct a PM discussion of them?

But that's only if...
Old 06-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #3163
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, Nogrod. Thanks for the tips and thoughts.

Hmph. That's not fair to hit the ball back in my court at this interval of the conversaiton. So not fair. I'll do what I can. I am currently not home...but I will try to write something over the course of the next day or two. I don't think I can do it tonight.

I think I am liking just writing these individual posts as opposed to a PM post. And don't worry about there being monologues. I will write only what I think Thornden would say without trying to draw it out to make a post 'long enough', whatever length that may be. And in a real conversation, usually a person will wait until the other is finished speaking. However, that being said, if in any post that I write you think that Athanar would interrupt if you had a choice, tell me so, and I can edit it accordingly. I have no problem in getting rid of part of a post if your character would stop the flow earlier.

-- Folwren
Old 06-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #3164
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I actually wrote that last post by hand last night right before falling asleep. Nogrod, let me know if anything needs to be changed...I don't know if Athanar would interrupt him or not. If we need to discuss stuff by PM, that's fine. As I said above, I am liking these individual posts.

-- Foley
Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #3165
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Nogrod, let me know if anything needs to be changed...I don't know if Athanar would interrupt him or not.
He would not indeed. That was a great post! I need to think about it for a moment (I'll try to write it tomorrow).

Heh, if I let you in a tight situation, you sure delivered the ball back to me with that.

(Well, there sure are issues of what any character knows about things etc. but it will be very unpleasant for Athanar... Let's see how he reacts.)
Old 06-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #3166
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
(Well, there sure are issues of what any character knows about things etc. but it will be very unpleasant for Athanar... Let's see how he reacts.)
Yes, it is extremely unpleasant. I hope it's not too tight a situation for you. You're creative enough to figure out what to do, though, I am certain.

Please don't keep us waiting too long. I don't know if I speak for any others, but I for one am very anxious to see what happens next.

I think, deep inside, I agree with Lommy when she says not to let Athanar let Thornden off too easy. I guess I'm just ensuring that.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #3167
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's pretty fun reading some awesome posts, not having anything to write myself. Maybe Falco's keen ears might generate some thoughts, maybe not.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #3168
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod, if we can finish this thing soon, we can move on to another day...

Please don't keep up waiting too long.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #3169
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'll be finishing it tomorrow... sorry for the delay.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #3170
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Awesome.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #3171
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What the - - - ? Noggie! What is Athanar thinking?

This - er - will be very interesting. Duel to the death, or injury?

As I said, 'what the - -- ?'
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #3172
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Duel to death with bare hands...

Heh, it might not be what it looks like being, though. Let's see about it.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #3173
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thornden won't fight him. Good gracious. You DO know that right? I'm sitting in a hot camper and your post still made me go cold in at least one point. Nice post. I'm on free time, now, and am feeling quite energetic. I think I'll reply.

-- Foley
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #3174
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hah! Thornden never was all that great at subtlety. Looks like Athanar is going to have to spell out what he hoped to convey indirectly. Or was Athanar posing the question to test Thornden in a new way? Eeeeeenteresting!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #3175
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Nogrod, if we can finish this thing soon, we can move on to another day...
And I for one hope that Eodwine returns on said day. Wishful thinking?

Off to read the game thread. Sounds exciting.

Edit: After reading the posts, I've come to these realisations:

1. Athanar, like Eodwine, is a tad crazy, albeit a different brand of crazy.
2. I'm glad Ginna would never even think of marrying Thornden, because then I would totally try to steal him from her.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 06-18-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #3176
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Fun.

Foley, I made the few changes to my previous post you asked me.

Lhuna: aren't all "rulers" a tad crazy as they have to be to gain that position to begin with?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #3177
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod, I am so sorry to make an issue about this last thing, but it seemed SO awkward for me to have them walk in together like that. I don't know why...just me...I'm guessing it's because I come from a very non-touchy sort of family...? I dunno. But the two men just left looking like they were about to kill each other, and, well, to come back in clasping each other's shoulders seemed like overkill.

I obviously way over-think these things. I hope neither you nor Athanar are insulted. Though, it'd kinda be funny if Athanar misunderstood and was. Except for the fact that this day should really wind down soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
2. I'm glad Ginna would never even think of marrying Thornden, because then I would totally try to steal him from her.
Lhuna, that is one of the two best compliments ever paid to my character. Actually...I'd probably say it is the best...
Old 06-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #3178
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Nogrod, I am so sorry to make an issue about this last thing, but it seemed SO awkward for me to have them walk in together like that. I don't know why...just me...I'm guessing it's because I come from a very non-touchy sort of family...? I dunno. But the two men just left looking like they were about to kill each other, and, well, to come back in clasping each other's shoulders seemed like overkill.

I obviously way over-think these things. I hope neither you nor Athanar are insulted. Though, it'd kinda be funny if Athanar misunderstood and was. Except for the fact that this day should really wind down soon.
Heh, you (and Thornden) seem to have misunderstood lord Athanar totally... I did actually think of making him clarify it in my last post but then thought it would be just surplus length to the post...

No, he is not requiring Thornden to go in shoulder to shoulder physically like sportsmen after a goal but to either go with him in good terms together or to go differently and thus send a message things are wrong.

Now it looks like Thornden insists in entering the hall separately... just opposite of what Athanar suggested and thought important. Actually, looking at lord Athanar's character profile it would be quite natural he got mad again...

Long live misunderstandings.

I need to go to sleep now (1AM already), but I'll try to continue tomorrow earlyish. Hopefully I come up with a way that makes it possible to overcome this little problem we have here so that we can get forwards...
Old 06-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #3179
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. We (Foley & myself) have posted now and you can infer the two have entered back into the Hall, together and in decent terms. So if anyone wants still to make something out of this evening, you should do it in a day or two.

Then we could change the day as I have gotten the feeling there are some wishes for that to happen.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #3180
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Harrah! I was worried there at the end. Haha.

To where are we going to jump forward when we change days?

-- Foley
Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #3181
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
To where are we going to jump forward when we change days?
It depends on what you guys look forwards to write. But it clearly looks like it has been quite quiet lately more or less only lord Athanar and Thornden doing things.

So how about Ginna & Harreld, how soon should we come back to them: the next day, a few days, a week, a few weeks?

From the POV of the general political matters we can easily skip a few weeks (unless Wulfric wishes to visit Faramund in a hurry - although even that could be written afterwards). Also I think there could be relative peace in the Mead Hall concerning the leadership issues and the relations between the men should actually be getting slowly better as they get to know each other more (and surely those succesful visits to local lords should have made good for their "belonging together" -feeling). So a week or two could pass just fine. But if we have reason to jump only to the next day, that's fine as well. There are things we might mull over there to be sure.

Any news on lord Eodwine?

Also, if there are no clear ideas what people would like to write now about, I might come up with some plots to generate some action. Any ideas you might have about those are welcomed, especially what kind of stuff would you like to write; personal relationships, doing something together, facing problems / challenges from outside...
Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #3182
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
So how about Ginna & Harreld, how soon should we come back to them: the next day, a few days, a week, a few weeks?

Any news on lord Eodwine?
My own opinion is that the Ginna-Harreld situation should be allowed to "stew in its juices" for a couple of plot weeks. It would be interesting to see where it leads both of them.

Eodwine is, for one thing, not a lord anymore. For another, at least one plot week is needed for him to sufficiently heal up, a second week to travel (slowly) to Scarburg. So I'd just as soon at least 2 weeks passed, maybe more.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #3183
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Eodwine is, for one thing, not a lord anymore. For another, at least one plot week is needed for him to sufficiently heal up, a second week to travel (slowly) to Scarburg. So I'd just as soon at least 2 weeks passed, maybe more.
Should there be some "news" about him reaching the Mead Hall first?

a) would that make interesting writing before he comes back, worth waiting for it?
b) is it possible, what would be the way any news about him could reach the MH?

Other ideas?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #3184
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I think that news of his return is not enough to hold the game up for another played out game-day. We'd be sure to find something to write about, and then who knows how long we'd end up playing that day...goodness, our last 'day' lasted a year, about.

Nogrod, your second question is answered easily enough. Eodwine wrote a letter to Saeryn almost as soon as he woke up, so she'll get news of him waking up.

Another question is if Saeryn will have gone to Minas Tirith until he recovered and then returned with him?

I make a vote to skip forward two and a half/three weeks to when Eodwine is returning.

-- Foley
Old 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #3185
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Nogrod, your second question is answered easily enough. Eodwine wrote a letter to Saeryn almost as soon as he woke up, so she'll get news of him waking up.

Another question is if Saeryn will have gone to Minas Tirith until he recovered and then returned with him?
I think we need answers to both of these questions before we continue.

When would Saeryn get the letter (does it happen while we "jump") and will she go? And when would Eodwine be good enough to travel - so when would they be back?

And do we have any other pressing matters meanwhile if that all takes time.

Winter is coming, you know... (sorry, couldn't help but to quote that)
Old 06-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #3186
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Other pressing matters like bringing in grain and food and whatever other taxes the other landlords owe them could be written about, but are not required to write very detailed and indepth accounts from all the players.

Eodwine's letter would come within the week following Athanar's arrival.

Saeryn would want to go to him as soon as she found out he was conscious, yes. I can't go into more detail now, I'm really short on time, but I may be back on this evening to write more about what I think my characters would do in the next few weeks.

I really don't know when Eodwine would be ready to travel or how long it would take. I imaging Elempi has some idea on that.

-- Foley

Last edited by Folwren; 06-20-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #3187
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Other pressing matters like bringing in grain and food and whatever other taxes the other landlords owe them could be written about, but are not required to write very detailed and indepth accounts from all the players.
I will do that with a "jump post" - as well as the latest of the building-project as they have to prepare for winter and the Mead Hall is anything but ready yet.

Quote:
Eodwine's letter would come within the week following Athanar's arrival.
So like in a few days? That would be okay. But we need to know whether she is going to sneak away without telling anyone, whether she just tells her closest trustees or whether it will be common knowledge where she goes. Actually I do think the last option is the only viable one as the others would raise too many questions (and answers) and I don't actually see a reason why she would hide her reason to take the trip and where it would be: a pregnant woman would need a party to escort her and to that she would probably need some kind of agreement with lord Athanar anyway... which he would grant of course.

But if (and when) all that is known in a few days we'd need to have an understanding how people would react to that. It's two weeks or something and that kind of news could change the dynamics there.

Quote:
I really don't know when Eodwine would be ready to travel or how long it would take. I imaging Elempi has some idea on that.
Looking forwards to it

*~*

But meanwhile, I'd also like to hear from the others.

I know Legate is in an archaeological excavation-site and will be back only in a week or two (RL), Lommy is having Greenie visiting her in Prague for a few days still.

But how about Lhuna, Form, Dury, Fea, Mnemo, Nienna, others?

I quess this King's players eats up the resources of many who could post here, but let's hope we can hear from others than just the three of us. It would be a sad game if it was written by three people (even if I'm in no doubt we three could write a nice story together) - it would not be a Mead Hall.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #3188
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
My own opinion is that the Ginna-Harreld situation should be allowed to "stew in its juices" for a couple of plot weeks. It would be interesting to see where it leads both of them.
Lhuna agrees. And I think we need Eodwine to return for there to be any significant change in their situation. I think.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #3189
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
But how about Lhuna, Form, Dury, Fea, Mnemo, Nienna, others?
Náin doesn't have a story arc, and is more or less designed so that he can either be present in Scarburg or absent on a given day without much difficulty, so I don't have a huge preference for jumping ahead more or less as far as he is concerned--a slightly longer jump would give him time to have scurried back to the Glittering Caves and returned, but it's not important.

From a less character-based perspective, I'd lean towards a longer jump. I don't really think we need to see reactions from the news of Eodwine's recovery--or, to put it more precisely, I think the reactions themselves would be nice, but that it isn't enough to justify a whole Day, and the side stuff that would come up would bog the day down--and since I know that Elempi has been itching for quite a while already to get Eodwine back into action, it seems like we should just jump to his actual return.

As for Saeryn, although she'd obviously want to be with him, I wonder if she would really be allowed to go. A pregnant woman--and a lady at that--would likely be discouraged from travelling, and Athanar (or whoever else--maybe Winflaed--that would have to tell her as much) might use the argument that "he's recovering--that means he'll come back to YOU, so you don't need to risk his child by going to him). It might also be more dramatically fun to see what happens when Eodwine returns to find Saeryn fuming at the Family Athanar, with himself simultaneously glad to see her and glad that Athanar didn't let her go, yet irritated at Athanar for denying her--on top of the whole "two Eorls" conundrum for the rest of the settlement.

But that's just my two cents.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #3190
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Heh. Form's thoughts are interesting. I wouldn't mind playing it either way - she goes, or is required/talked into staying. Either way would be interesting. Nogrod has the final say on that.

-- Foley
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #3191
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I do actually like Form's idea... sounds realistic. I had some reservations for a pregnant woman taking a trip already in my earlier post but I think Form though it further. And like he said, it could offer us some nice things to toy with...
Old 06-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #3192
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I could see Eodwine's letter including words for Saeryn to STAY THERE BECAUSE I WILL BE HOME SOON ENOUGH. He knows she is with child (I cannot imagine an Eorling saying the word, "pregnant" without stumbling over his own tongue), and will not want her scurrying to Minas Tirith.

I'm also interested in something IMPLIED in Form's post - we could make the jump a good deal longer than 2 to 3 weeks.

I had notions of Falco being surprised to meet Eodwine half way between Edoras and Minas Tirith.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #3193
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I don't really care how long the jump is. The longer it is, the more progressed Saeryn's pregnancy. I just care so long as Eodwine comes back...but maybe not so long in advance that all is calm and cool about Athanar's presence still. I don't know. And I am not thinking clearly right now, anyway, so don't really listen to me.

Gotta run.

-- Foley
Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #3194
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

No, not too long. Like Foley said, we need to pick it up soon enough to gather up the various strands of tension and conflict.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #3195
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

We'd also need to hear from the owners of the newer characters and what they think about the length of the jump as they need to do some adjusting (thinking how their characters will fit in the Mead Hall as they have now been there for only a few - quite eventful - days). Maybe we should hold a short genberal discussion about it even here? How will Wynflaed fit in the household, How about Aedre & the other children, how about the soldiers; Coen, Hilderinc?

I'll PM Lommy, Legate, Mnemo, Nienna, Lottie and Dury at least to wake them up...
Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #3196
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I think we need more female characters in play. Females are definitely out numbered at Scarburg, and I don't know why. Wouldn't there be more women and such? I'll come up with one. Any idea of where she would fit in?

-- Foley
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #3197
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm thinking about bringing Rowenna back...
Old 06-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #3198
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh, I'm sorry - I totally forgot about this. I'll start keeping up with the thread again, but for now I'm afraid I don't really have much to add.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #3199
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Rowenna would definitely be fun to have back, but I still think we need more women folk.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #3200
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry if you've already discussed this...

Eodwine is at Edoras, right? So as soon as he's recovered, the King is going to know (unless the King isn't at 'court' which is possible but you know). Then I would think he would decide whether Eodwine is returning as the Eorl or not, though he might take into account Eodwine's desires. Would the King want him to return, or would he want him to stay on at Edoras with his having just recovered?

Just some thoughts. And a message from the King coming before Eodwine in addition to letters from Eodwine would make sense I would think. Then it might be up to Athanar if he announces publicly that Eodwine is returning and not as Eorl.

If that make sense?

As for a time jump, that sounds great. Enough of a time jump to freshen things up. I think jumping to Eodwine's return is just as good as anything.

I need to think on what Coen and the soldiers might be up to during this time; what the tensions have been like or whatever. I do know that Coen has been SO very frustrated the entire time and with the news that Eodwine is already recovered and coming back he is going to flip a little. He's probably going to see it as an insult to Athanar. But you know he's quiet about these things. Maybe some/all of the Athanar's men would feel the same way. Coen would keep them in line without telling them off because he would agree with them.

In Coen's mind he will be very wary of this whole thing. The new Eorl is just settling in and already Eodwine's returning to Scarburg. Even if Eodwine really doesn't want to be Eorl again (which, first of all, how would Coen know, and second, he wouldn't trust him on it one bit), people have loyalty to him. And Coen is certain that Eodwine's going to be meddling.

That's what would be going on in Coen's mind. I don’t know how much of it might be reflected in Athanar’s men. He will be doing his best to undo the division between Athanar’s men and those previously Eodwine’s men, especially with word of Eodwine’s return. But at the same time he’s going to feel like it shouldn’t be his problem, or that he really just wants to be rid of all these people coming so close (in his mind) to challenging the King’s word (and of course Athanar’s). So I can see some problems among the soldiers. Maybe the men who know Coen realizing how troubled he is, and the men from Scarburg thinking they have a cold commander who hates everyone but his lord.

Oh, and Coen is on very cool terms with Thornden, of course.

Anyway, my thoughts; I hope they were what you were looking for? Sorry for a lot of self-important *my character thinks this* stuff.