The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2002, 11:14 AM   #1
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Question One for the Volcanologists

What Kind of volcano was Mt.Doom? And why was it just one volcano in the middle of nowhere, because Volcanoes form on plate boundaries, so surely there would be volcanoes in a chain north and south of it? I don't mean to sound like one of those bores who scientifically disproves fiction (eg. it is physically impossible to change a pumpkin into a coach!), I'm just wondering, as we just did volcanoes in Geography. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2002, 02:01 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Umm....a big one.

It was part of a mountain range, just sorta disconnected from it. Ered Lithui and Ephel Dúath met to create Udûn (no, not Hell), but also created a small "veryhighlands", between Isenmouthe, Orodruin, and Barad-dûr. If you look at the map, you see a small mountain range extending south from Ered Lithui, ending at Barad-dûr. Then, a small gap, then Orodruin. Then another gap, then Morgai. Mordor is actually Minas Tirith-like, with Udûn as the top tier, the aforementioned region the second highest, then Gorgoroth the third, followed by Nurn and the rest of Mordor. (At least, I assume that the elevation decreases, since there is the inland sea of Núrnen.) As for plates, it doesn't have to be directly over a plate, but slightly off....for instance, there is probably a division just east of Anduin (which formed Ephel Dúath) that might have a vent that travels to Orodruin.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]
Old 12-15-2002, 05:39 PM   #3
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The mountain chain forming the northern border of Mordor are called Ered Lithui or
the ASH MOUNTAINS. This must indicate that there are\were volcanoes there, as ash accompanies volcanic erruptions.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 06:07 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I am going to refer you to: The Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad, page 146 - 147.

You can read the longer explanation there by her (she is a cartographer), but in short: Mt Doom was a composite or strato-volcano, formed of alternating layers of ash and lava, not a simple cinder cone. She goes into a detailed discussion of why, from the description Tolkien gave both in words and in his own illustrations, that she came to that conclusion.

She does say that although it stood in the Plateau of Gorgoroth in northern Mordor, a land of vulcanism, it appearst to be the only active volcano in that area.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:13 PM   #5
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Way to go Pio!! I have the same Atlas of Middle Earth! Its a ggod one I like it.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:01 PM   #6
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here is a relief map image of Mt. Fujiyama in Japan, which is an isolated volcanic peak on a surrounding plain.

In fact: if you squint, the picture kinda reminds you of the land of Mordor. (Except for being a lot greener and prettier.)

Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote