The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 6 - Chapter 6 - Many Partings

This chapter could have been titled "The Breaking of the Fellowship Part 2"; now that the Quest has been completed and the celebrations are over, we get the feeling that this is the final act and that everything is being wrapped for the conclusion. Everyone goes home, life gets back to normal - yet nothing is the same!

It is right for the adventurers to wish to return home; as Aragorn says, trees are not intended to be transplanted. (By the way, speaking of trees, does the second sentence of the chapter give you the impression that there is a direct connection between Arwen's singing and the growth of the White Tree?)

We see the contrast between the two truths throughout this chapter - belonging home and yet changing. The formerly humble, unknown and unimportant hobbits are now famous; Théoden returns to his kingdom dead, and Éomer is King; Aragorn is still their friend, yet has his place in Gondor and will no longer be with them.

The bond between Frodo and Bilbo is shown by the strong desire Frodo has to see his relative again.

This chapter includes quite a few important references to things that are much discussed among Tolkien readers. First of all is Arwen's gift of her place in the ship westwards, and the jewel - not as a ticket, but it does have a function. What's your opinion on that?

We also have a delightful passage that harks back to Éomer's and Gimli's dispute concerning Galadriel in TTT. I like the fact that Tolkien did not forget this bit and resolved it here. His humourous dialogues for the characters are wonderfully subtle.

Another important, brief reference - Aragorn's declaration concerning the Druadan Forest.

Théoden's burial and the following feast bring the Rohan part of the story to a close, ending with the betrothal of Faramir and Éowyn. We read a fragment of the poem concerning Théoden's deeds - how does it affect you? The situation between Aragorn and Éowyn is also resolved at the end of this passage. Are you satisfied with the outcome, or would you have liked more or a different resolution? Did you suspect the importance of Éowyn's gift to Merry when you first read this chapter?

More loose ends being tied up - Legolas and Gimli visit first the Glittering Caves, then Fangorn together. We revisit Treebeard at Isengard, though one rather important loose end remains. What is important to you here? The Fellowship begins to disintegrate - sad?

Saruman reappears with Gríma, foreshadowing the coming events in the Shire. What do you think of his attitude? Would there have been a chance of repentence and forgiveness for him/them yet? Saruman appears to have lost some of his power, for his voice is broken. He still does have the ability to see more than others.

There are clues to what is going on in the Shire. What might have happened had the hobbits gone home directly instead of staying so long in Rivendell? Could they have prevented some of the damage? Why doesn't Gandalf predict that?

Another brief yet important, much discussed passage comes next - the silent communication between the Elves. We know more about osanwë from other sources, though it is not named here.

Then comes Rivendell and Bilbo. We see some entries for the 'Book of Records' coming up - Bilbo's age, with yet another of his birthdays marking the passage of time, and Merry and Pippin's height. Sam says something that echoes back to a passage in The Hobbit - about having a bit of everything for everyone in Rivendell.

We have another gift-giving, by Bilbo. Any thoughts or comments? There's also a newly revised version of "The Road goes ever on" - what do you think of the changes?

With the farewell to Rivendell and Bilbo, the chapter ends and the five remaining companions leave. Elrond foresees another ending. I noticed for the first time consciously that it is mentioned that he blessed them!

A long chapter, and much content - I look forward to your thoughts! On a personal note, I'd like to close with a few of my favourite lines - there are a number of them in this chapter:

Quote:
'Never is too long a word even for me.' (Treebeard)

'The world is changing...' (Treebeard, used for the movie prologue and there spoken by Galadriel)

'I wish we could have a Stone that we could see all our friends in, and that we could speak to them from far away!' (Pippin) [Do you think Tolkien wrote this with tongue in cheek? Or was he so much into his story that he merely expressed a thought his characters would have had? I wonder what he would have thought of modern cellphones/mobiles/handys, with their many possibilities, including pictures?!]

'...pray do not smile at me! I prefer your frowns.
'All my hopes are ruined, but I would not share yours.' (Saruman)

'Don't let your heads get too big for your hats!' (Bilbo)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote