The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield Staff

Hi all. I accomplished one of my goals yesterday, and bought a staff - a real, proper Gandalf staff. It's over 50 years old, Norwegian, and magical (apparently).

I'd love to hear some suggestions for what to name it. I looked through a few threads on Gandalf's staff and I noticed a couple of references to the linguistic roots of Tolkien's names. Any related to staffs or wandering? I was also thinking about using a Norwegian word so I'd like to hear from any Norwegian Barrowdowners for their opinion on good words: Cailín thought that any Norwegian word I discovered for the staff would be considered twee if I went hiking in Norway.

Ideas are very welcome.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Virðuligr ulfr

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Virðuligr ulfr
A virtuous wolf?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
A virtuous wolf?
Something like that, I belive it can also mean "honorable"

Or maybe it should named after a Norwegain, maybe the name "Hardråde" would be fitting? Meaning something like Hard/Stern Counsil/Ruler

Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Hi Eomer,

sounds great!

What would the Norwegian be for 'Telcontar'?

Also remember Frodo and Sam's staffs, given by Faramir, made from Lebethron.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I believe the Norwegian translation for Strider is Vidvandre.

In Swedish it's Vidstige.

Perhaps you would consider a name more straight to the point: Norwegian Wood?

Isn't it good?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
I believe the Norwegian translation for Strider is Vidvandre.

In Swedish it's Vidstige.

Perhaps you would consider a name more straight to the point: Norwegian Wood?

Isn't it good?

I wanted to rep you for that, but I was not allowed to. . .funny stuff.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

All immature jokes have already been made, by me.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Also, do any other Downers utilise a staff in day-to-day life? Got many stares in town today, and people at work seem to think it's very amusing.

I think they fear the magic.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What about Gungnir, after Odin's spear? True, it's not a staff, exactly: but Gungnir with its runes also embodied Odin's mastery of magic and law.

Best of all, it was made by the dwarf Dvalin.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I looked through a few threads on Gandalf's staff and I noticed a couple of references to the linguistic roots of Tolkien's names. Any related to staffs or wandering?
Noting Silmarllion, we have 'ran- 'wander, stray' Rána (a name of the Moon), or in Mithrandir with -randir meaning 'wander-man, pilgrim' (incidentally note Tolkien on the name Gandalf: '... to contain gandr, a staff, especially one used in magic' from UT, the Istari).

For 'staff' early Qenya has vandl, if you wanted to accept such a word anyway. It is Tolkien-made Qenya at least (some have simply taken this word and 'updated' it, so to speak, as *vandil, but this is not attested as far as I know).

I haven't checked PE17 as to whether or not there is something attested for 'staff' in any Quenya stage dating from the 1950s or later.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
For 'staff' early Qenya has vandl, if you wanted to accept such a word anyway.
So once again Tolkien gets caught borrowing words! Vandl is pretty clearly English wand, cognate with Norse gandr (by g > w mutation).

One also wonders about Ger. wenden (to proceed, go), OE wandan (to turn, meander), still found in English wend, wander, and the borrowed past-tense went. Both words apparently descend from the Pr. Germ. root *wend- (the old sense was bending, suppleness, thus a supple stick- hence the use of such in wattlework gave rise to Mod. Ger. Wand "wall.")
Old 04-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I checked the Gnomish Lexicon, and there is a Gnomish form (and a Qenya there too):

Gnomish 'bang staff (Q. vanga)'

With respect to Tolkien's sources, generally speaking at least, Carl Hostetter's and Pat Wynne's column Words and Devices (in Vinyar Tengwar) is basically an endeavor to highlight the intended historical connections between the Eldarin languages and those of the Primary World, especially Indo-European.

Of course the question of Tolkien's sources is a complex matter! and (in any case) I am not sure that any of these words meaning 'staff' were retained in the later context of the 50s and 60s versions of Quenya and Sindarin.

Last edited by Galin; 04-28-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

Quote:
I am not sure that any of these words meaning 'staff' were retained in the later context of the 50s and 60s versions of Quenya and Sindarin.
No, of course not. But in his youth he was apparently less "pure" than he would admit he had been in the 50s and 60s!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Is there anybody who knows anyting about old norse? any icelandic people around?

How does one say walking staff?

Is it something like this:

Ganga-félagi