The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2003, 12:47 PM   #1
Troll

Question A few questions

I got a few questions and I hope yo answer them.
1. What is the trolls official language?
Someone knows that? Trollsih or what?
2.Where do they live? What country? How do they live?
The 3th and the last question. I just wonder why elves are so popular here..?
I dont ask that just cause I just like trolls better, or mean anything thats bad about elves or something. I just wonder..?
I thought that elves were awesome before,
but I think they are so weird sometimes...
Old 03-01-2003, 03:28 PM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1. They don't have one. They speak bastardized Common Speech

2. Again, they don't have one.

3. Cause they're cool and trolls are dumb rock heads. Especially the ones out trying to catch a tan. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

H.C.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Now, sir Troll, when you say that Elves can be weird sometimes, do you have very much Book related info to back that up, or are you working from strickly move-based knowledge? I ask this because, if you are speaking from your opinions of movie-Galadriel, movie-Elrond, movie-Haldir, and yes even movie-Legolas, you do not have a very good base of knowledge, as they are pseudocharacters developed by our good friends Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Phillipa Boyens. However, I'm guessing that you have at least read the Hobbit, and that would be a good base for elf criticism, since Bilbo has scant encounters with elves on his first journey, and the fact that they sing to him from trees is just a tad on the strange side. To cease my crazy spurt of suppositions, I'm just going to come out and ask, What books have you read?

Iarwain
Old 03-01-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
Elfstone
Animated Skeleton

Elfstone has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Quote:
the fact that they sing to him from trees is just a tad on the strange side
Yes, and also his encounter in Mirkwood was wierd and fairy tale like. They have a merry party within site of the road, but when you enter the party site all the lights go out and you pass out? Then, instead of going somewhere where they will be left alone, they go a little ways away where their fires are still in plain sight and start the party again?

After the third intrusion why did they decide that was provocation enough to take Thorin prisoner? Two disturbances is allowable but three is a crime? Why did they take only him? It would be best to take one and leave the others hopelessy lost in the forest? And why did they take him all the way back to the King? No lesser elf could handle the situation of a trespasser? That's something the King deals with? The elves at the party site couldn't just ask Thorin why he was bothering them themselves?

If it wasn't for the rest of the books I'd suspect that elves were a bit flaky. Thank goodness for Legolas.
Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:32 PM   #5
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Ahh, but have you read the Silmarillion yet? That brings true pity for them, and respect for all that they've suffered and put up with.

Iarwian
Old 03-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #6
Elfstone
Animated Skeleton

Elfstone has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Ahh, but have you read the Silmarillion yet? That brings true pity for them, and respect for all that they've suffered and put up with.
Of course [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The elves are by far my favorite race. It's only in The Hobbit that J.R.R. writes them as an odd lot. But then most things in The Hobbit are fairy tale-ish.
Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 07:39 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

To Elfstone: maybe the Mirkwood Elves go for baseball tactics? Three strikes and you're out? They probably just got sick of being barged in on and took whoever showed up. Chances are they didn't want to interrupt the merry-making with legalities so they sent Thorin off for someone else to deal with.

And it seems odd that everyone else gets their love of Elves from the Trilogy itself. I loved them in The Hobbit. I figure any race with enough sense of humor to sing the words "tra-la-la-lally here down in the valley" and that have enough mischief-making capabilities to tease Dwarfs incessantly are a great group of people. A little goofy at times, but it's balanced out by the ages upon ages that they are forced to be deathly serious.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:08 PM   #8
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

To answer your third question, Troll, elves are generally more well-liked than trolls. There are many more appealing qualities that elves have that trolls lack. Elves are a musically talented, poetic, mysterious, elegant, elusive, and majestic race, while people seem to usually view trolls as thick-skulled and dirty.

I suppose it just depends on what people find interesting, enjoyable, and intriguing. Not all people like elves more than trolls, but due to the generally appealing and interesting aspects of elves, they are a tad more 'popular' than trolls. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]