The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #2241
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I'd like to sign up for this round, please! I suppose quarantine gives us all an excuse to hang out in the Downs!
Yay!

Also taking Nogrod and A Little Green's text message signups and Formendacil's from Facebook, so now we certainly have enough people.

Starting tomorrow sometime during the European day, sign ups still open until then! I will still randomise the order of the players, so don't make any conclusions based on your placement on the current list. And let's try to keep it in the good old max 3 days per person!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #2242
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Yay!

Also taking Nogrod and A Little Green's text message signups and Formendacil's from Facebook, so now we certainly have enough people.

Starting tomorrow sometime during the European day, sign ups still open until then! I will still randomise the order of the players, so don't make any conclusions based on your placement on the current list. And let's try to keep it in the good old max 3 days per person!
Excellent!

Can't wait to get going, and who knows, we might have a game that can be concluded in less than 2 months.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #2243
Barandiun
Newly Deceased

Barandiun has just left Hobbiton.
I'd like to play
Barandiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #2244
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barandiun View Post
I'd like to play
Welcome!

Here is the complete list, and I'm sending out the starting sentence now:

Thinlómien (mod) - write
Kath - draw
Pitchwife - write
TheGreatElvenWarrior - draw

A Little Green - write
Oddwen - draw
Legate of Amon Lanc - write
satansaloser2005 - draw

Rune Son of Bjarne - write
Nogrod - draw
Barandiun - write
Huinesoron - draw
Galadriel55 - write
Formendacil - draw
Urwen - write

Thinlómien (mod) - draw
Kath - write
Pitchwife - draw
TheGreatElvenWarrior - write
A Little Green - draw
Oddwen - write
Legate of Amon Lanc - draw
satansaloser2005 - write
Rune Son of Bjarne - draw
Nogrod - write
Barandiun - draw
Huinesoron - write

Galadriel55 - draw
Formendacil - write

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-14-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:47 AM   #2245
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
who knows, we might have a game that can be concluded in less than 2 months.

I had forgotten how long these games actually take... well, at least did take. Let's see if the quarantine makes people faster to react?

Good to see you all for long time!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:44 AM   #2246
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post

I had forgotten how long these games actually take... well, at least did take. Let's see if the quarantine makes people faster to react?

Good to see you all for long time!
Indeed! And so far it's been quite fast!

Also a heads-up that if you use the email notifications, check that your email doesn't treat them as spam. I could have sent Pitch's sentence on half a day earlier if I hadn't blindly trusted gmail. But lesson learnt, shouldn't happen again!
Old 04-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #2247
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think that may have been my fastest turnaround ever!
Old 04-29-2020, 05:38 AM   #2248
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Aaaand we're officially past the halfway marker! I had to shuffle things around a bit, so I am drawing the next picture myself (should be fun ) and then everyone will get to their second round. Hope everyone's been enjoying it so far, I certainly have
Old 04-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #2249
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Having just completed my second round I can definitely say I'm enjoying it and I can't wait to see the full thread.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #2250
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Having just completed my second round I can definitely say I'm enjoying it and I can't wait to see the full thread.
Okay, now I am getting excited!

I have only been at my new job for a month and I am not sure what decorum dictates, is it too soon to use the office xeroxing machine for PT drawings?

Old 05-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #2251
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I have only been at my new job for a month and I am not sure what decorum dictates, is it too soon to use the office xeroxing machine for PT drawings?
Pfffft, the sooner you accidentally leave an inexplicably weird drawing in the workplace scanner, the sooner you become a household name.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #2252
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Pfffft, the sooner you accidentally leave an inexplicably weird drawing in the workplace scanner, the sooner you become a household name.
At my old job I managed that by telling stories about getting urinated on by wildlife...

Old 05-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #2253
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Almost there...Go Form Go!

Old 05-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #2254
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Is it possible it could go this fast?

* Happy *

Old 05-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #2255
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sad that I didn't get a chance to join, but excited to see what craziness emerges after having two years to build up since the last game!
Old 05-14-2020, 02:31 AM   #2256
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Sad that I didn't get a chance to join, but excited to see what craziness emerges after having two years to build up since the last game!
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to playing another one right after, if someone else wants to mod!

I think this round went really fast because a lot of people (including a few with the drawing round ) replied quite immediately, and I was using the read receipts and the few people who hadn't even read their pm's in 2-3 days I managed to contact through other ways and after that they were very fast about it too. And it helped me as a mod that I was able to check the situation and send the paper telephone on if needs be several times per day usually. So yeah, everyone can pat themselves on the back!

That being said, I just woke up and I see Form sent me the last sentence overnight. Stay tuned, the paper telephone will be here in an hour or two!
Old 05-14-2020, 03:43 AM   #2257
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sorry guys, technical troubles, I feel like hurling my laptop out of the window right now. I'm going to take a little break and try a little later today...
Old 05-14-2020, 04:23 AM   #2258
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Sorry guys, technical troubles, I feel like hurling my laptop out of the window right now. I'm going to take a little break and try a little later today...
Nooo!

This was to be my lunch break entertainment.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:02 AM   #2259
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

One day, Thinlómien was walking in the Barrow-Downs, singing a well-known tune as she went:

Quote:
From the Gate of Kings the North Wind rides, and past the roaring falls.
"I never realised how little sense that line makes," Kath muttered when she heard the song through her window. "I'm gonna illustrate why."

A sudden gust of wind snatched the drawing from her hands, and it landed on Pitchwife's yard. "Hmm," he said. "Looks like

Quote:
Shadowfax contemplates going a-boating come autumn.
"Really?" asked TheGreatElvenWarrior over the fence that separated their yards. "No, that's not it. That would look like this:"

As a prank, they decided to drop the drawing in A Little Green's little green mailbox. She thought what it was about was:

Quote:
Tired of galloping, Shadowfax dreams of an alternative means of transport.
Her thought was picked up by Oddwen's roaming psychic abilities (yes, the abilities were roaming, don't question me) that visualised it as follows:

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-14-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:02 AM   #2260
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Legate of Amon Lanc had a peek inside her head and disapproved. He muttered:

Quote:
It is easy to feel like you're free and the hero of all Middle-Earth when it's your animal companion who has to do all the hard work.
satansaloser2005 thought this was such a profound thought that she decided to illustrate it for posterity:

A few centuries later, her drawing was in a museum. The curator, Rune Son of Bjarne, claimed that the piece portrays the scene from The Lay of Leithian where:

Quote:
Unfortunately the only one to answer Luthien's call for help was a rodent armed to the teeth, and so she remained in a state of mild discomfort.
Sadly, the local newspaper got the rights to publish the citation but not the artwork, so their in house illustrator Nogrod had to improvise:

Barandiun was reading the newspaper next morning. Or more like, looking at the pictures, as "reading is for idiots who don't understand pictures". They thought what they saw was:
Quote:
Person in a dress and long hair sits at a low tree in a discussion with a rodent warrior.
They wrote (ironically, they had nothing against writing) the thought in their diary, which was later that night taken with all their other property when Huinesoron burgled their house. Struck by the poetic quote, the burglar doodled this in their sketchbook:

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-14-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:04 AM   #2261
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Galadriel55 was running an art class for burglars. She was the mesmerised by the piece that portrayed - as she would tell everyone who would listen - the principle that

Quote:
As a rule the Rohirrim did not consort with fell creatures, but the princess Eowyn was wont to go off alone to study the fiendish and warlike sprites known as the holbytla.
The local grocer Formendacil had heard this a million times already. As a protest, he put this sign on his counter, hoping to silence the chatty customer the next time she'd come around:

Obviously, this was the talk in the neighbourhood for quite a while, as wights are almost as bad gossipmongers as hobbits are. Urwen even called her non-wighty cousin just to tell about the sign that said:

Quote:
An overlord decided that there would be no ponies or books allowed.
Wights are immortal. Therefore, Lommy was still around, now working for the wight secret service. She intercepted the dubious phone call, and made notes in hieroglyphs that looked like this:

"Bad agent!" exclaimed her boss Kath. "You just scribbled your notes on top of an authentic William Blake painting! What does that even say?

Quote:
Saruman of many colours sat ringed by flame, berating the naked book-bearer. "I've already got a book, fool. Now get on your horse and leave!"
Their coworker Pitchwife heard the exchange, and he couldn't shake the mental image, so he went home and drew this:

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-14-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:04 AM   #2262
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Even though a few hundred years had passed, TGEW was still nosy about her neighbour's affairs. She went for coffee with a friend, and told her how her weird neighbour was drawing a picture where

Quote:
Saruman of Many Colours directs his naked hobbit slave to show him the book of horses.
Her friend, Greenie, didn't believe the story. So she sneaked into her friend's neighbour's backyard, and snapped a picture of what was going on inside the house:

Scandalised herself, she sold the picture to the local newspaper. The editor in chief, the psychic Oddwen, published it with the caption:

Quote:
As he is borne away in chains to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, Tiny David casts one last gaze upon his favorite possession, the Tan Book of Horsemarch.
Meanwhile on the other side of the 'downs, there was a very bored wight named Legate who was making a collage of newspaper clippings. This caption, he thought, went magnificently with a picture he may or may not have made himself in the long centuries of his wightish life:

Sally, who still thought he was a very profound thinker even though she had had a few centuries more to observe him, bought the collage from him, cut out this particular piece and framed it on her wall. She liked to tell her guests it depicted a scene where

Quote:
The ring wraiths carry a well-articulated statue to their lair.
"That's not well-articulated!" protested Rune when he visited, taking a pen and scribbling on a napkin. "This would be well-articulated!"

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-14-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:05 AM   #2263
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Since the hostess was a thrifty wight, the same napkin was later used by another visitor, Nogrod. He was very puzzled why his napkin should have a picture of something along the lines of

Quote:
After decades of waiting, the Witch-King was finally able to add the statue of the Last Fallen King into his collection.
Another guest, Barandiun, heard him talking, and later had very vivid dreams. Inside their head it looked like this:

Huinesoron had meanwhile graduated from burgling houses to catching dreams. This, they noted in their notebook, had been a dream that told them that:

Quote:
The Witch-King never had learned that the Black Breath didn't work on statues.
Their former art teacher Galadriel was still trying pester them to make art. "You should draw that! Something like this!"

Sadly, her example picture was rejected and left to slowly rot on the barrow floor. When Formendacil came by it yet again some centuries later, in 2020, he thought it was a very timely illustration. "Look at this," he muttered. "As if the barrow-wights predicted that

Quote:
The Witch-King was frustrated in his designs once the Stone-Trolls started to flatten the curve of the Black Breath's spread by wearing masks during the day.
THE END

Thanks everyone for playing!

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-14-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:18 AM   #2264
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I see I'm still having technical trouble. Currently trying to fix it...
Old 05-14-2020, 06:21 AM   #2265
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Annnnd problem solved! Sorry for the mess, everyone, but this was terrible to sort out. It was so much easier in the good old days of photobucket and everybody's devices having a nicely low resolution that fits an ancient forum like the 'downs...

A recommendation for fellow mods in the 2020s:

1. The sooner you accept you will have to manually* resize every image you get, the easier your life is. (* I actually ran the files through a resizing website as a bulk upload, but still. I made everything 800px wide, but perhaps even less would have been better, at least for the vertical ones.)

2. Google is evil. Drive and photos don't work with the forum code. Use Imgur.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #2266
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Some real masterpieces (both visual and verbal)!

I had quite forgotten, how talented lot we have here.

Special kudos to Lommy for putting this up and battling through the incompatibilities of the old site and new technology.

It was interesting also, how the horse kept on reappearing time and again.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #2267
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
(Tech support note: I don't know if you know, but Imgur can provide you with resized versions of your image. You can get the different-sized thumbnails by adding t, m, l, or h to the image link, between the image number and the .png/.jpg/whatever. Examples: the first image in tiny, medium, large, and huge.)

It's beautiful... it's so beautiful... *.*

I'm fascinated by the fact that we started with the Argonath and somehow wound up back at statues. The hobbit also popped in and out a few times, and as Nog says, that horse...

Thanks, Lommy! This was great fun.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:30 AM   #2268
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Some real masterpieces (both visual and verbal)!

I had quite forgotten, how talented lot we have here.
Hear, hear.

It's unfathomable how, in the end, the entire chain managed to come around into current events!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:33 AM   #2269
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
(Tech support note: I don't know if you know, but Imgur can provide you with resized versions of your image. You can get the different-sized thumbnails by adding t, m, l, or h to the image link, between the image number and the .png/.jpg/whatever. Examples: the first image in tiny, medium, large, and huge.)
Nope, I did not know that! However the last two links don't work for me. Quite a good illustration how complicated this can be.

Yeah, I'm curious about how there were certain recurring elements, and I really love basically all the pictures and sentences.

I am laughing at the saga of poor Shadowfax (brilliant sentences and pictures there), and quite fascinated how he turned first into a rodent and then into a hobbit. Pitchwife's piece of art might just be my favourite, but I also love Galadriel's which she apologetically admitted she scrambled together in five minutes. Clearly both approaches work.

Also why do nazgûl and wizards always pop up in Paper Telephone even if they were not in the first sentence??
Old 05-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #2270
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Also why do nazgûl and wizards always pop up in Paper Telephone even if they were not in the first sentence??
Clearly it's a thing! At least there wasn't the phantom (I think that alternated with the nazgûl anyway).

But anyway, something amazing! Great pictures - some absolute masterpieces, and sentences too, and there was a great variety! Thanks for modding and all the work, Lommy! And thanks everyone for participating! This was so much fun!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #2271
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I second everybody who has complimented the artwork and creative sentences. I loved the flow of the PT, and I really enjoyed all the beautiful works of art made by all of you. It is gorgeous Tolkien art (with dubious content ).

Quote:
At least we avoided Gollum this time!
Old 05-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #2272
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Pitchwife's piece of art might just be my favourite,
I agree, there was perhaps four or five pictures of extremely high quality, but Pitchwife truly blew me away.

I loved the starting caption, well done Kath for getting the ball rolling in proper fashion.

Of the captions, especially Greenie's was amazing.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #2273
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I should probably visit the Downs more often, and probably also frequent a more diverse selection of threads.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #2274
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thumbs up

Wow, this was all kinds of awesome:
- Kath's lovely picture, which left me totally clueless what it was supposed to illustrate (although it makes sense!)
- The whole sequence Greenie / Oddwen / Legate (tranformative sentence!) / sally (adorable rabbit!)
- Hui's pic
- Form's visual condensation of a rather complex sentence
- Lommy's William Blake (I wondered where that sentence came from!)
- TGEW's naked hobbit slave (which prompted an amount of full frontal nudity hitherto unknown on these Downs IIRC) and Greenie's picture
- Baranduin's Witch King (btw can we call you Brandy?)
- G55's well-masked weeping angel warding of the Black Breath, and Form's description thereof
Great job, everyone!
Old 05-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #2275
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

If anyone wants to mod another game, I'm absolutely down to playing (preferably doubles).
Old 05-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #2276
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
- TGEW's naked hobbit slave (which prompted an amount of full frontal nudity hitherto unknown on these Downs IIRC)
Never forget the uncloaked wizards.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #2277
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ah, that was during one of my resurrections...
Old 05-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #2278
Barandiun
Newly Deceased

Barandiun has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
- Baranduin's Witch King (btw can we call you Brandy?)
Sure!
Barandiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #2279
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
If anyone wants to mod another game, I'm absolutely down to playing (preferably doubles).
I would be up for another round.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #2280
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Me too.