The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2003, 02:58 PM   #1
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting Ok, now i'm angry

Did anyone see Dead Ringers on BBC2 earlier.<BR>Now I know that I sound like a whinging, obsessed geek but the LOTR sketch annoyed me.<P>It went something like this<BR>Saruman is in Orthanc holding the Ring<BR>S: At last I have the Ring which will allow me to dominate Middle Earth for ever<BR>Suddenly Gandalf the White appears<BR>G:Not so fast Saruman<BR>S: But, how? You're dead.<BR>G: It is true Gandalf the Grey fell battling the Balrog but I am Gandalf the White.<BR>S:But you cant just come back to life because you're a slightly different colour<BR>G:Of course I can, it's a fantasy film.<BR>S:Well what if I do this <BR>Saruman zaps Gandalf with lightning<BR>Gandalf dies then comes back as Gandalf the tartan<BR>G:You can't kill me Saruman, I have an entire Dulux colour brochure<BR>Scene switches to Crimewatch<BR>Presenter: If you have been in the cinema in the past twelve months you may have noticed the drastic rise in implausable film scripts.<BR>This was followed by a half dozen sketches with dead tv personalities coming back in white versions<P>Well i'm having my rant but i've got to say this is a poor show being pathetic

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:16 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That sounds hilarious! I adore parodies/humour <BR>I never got round to seeing the show, unfortunately.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:17 PM   #3
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Gandalf the Tartan has potential. There aren't enough Scottish Maiar. <P>I never object to parodies. Admittedly this one was ill-informed, but perhaps that's an indication that Gandalf's non-human status hasn't been stated sufficiently strongly in the films. Either that or the writers of that series weren't paying attention. Either way it's all in fun, so there's no need to get hot under the collar about it.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

If we did end up having Gandalf the Tartan, then Ian McKellen just couldn't play him. We would need Sean Connery for that. Just imagine, "Ish it shecret? Ish it shafe?" <P>*falls over laughing at the mental image of Frodo covered in spit*
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Ish it shecret? Ish it shafe?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That seriously cracked me up.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #6
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Ish it shecret? Ish it shafe?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>*dies*
Old 07-14-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Gandalf the Tartan indeed! ...now the Gandalf image of Sean Connery is stuck to my head, with the accent and all...<P>i little bit ill-informed, I'll have to agree. Didn't enjoy that one.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:40 PM   #8
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Yeah, they don't seem to know anything about LOTR, but it's not too big of a deal.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ish it shecret? Ish it shafe? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>For the first time in quite a while, I am literally lol!
Old 07-15-2003, 02:08 AM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Well, I've read much more ignorant, insulting satires. And "Gandalf the Tartan" is pretty funny. This actually puts me in mind of that hilarious Looney Tunes cartoon where the mice pretend that the cat is dying, and loudly discuss with each other the many colors he's supposedly turning. It culminates in "Oh my God! He's turning <I>plaid!"</I><P>Sorry. That was just an integeral part of my childhood. I inwardly chortle just thinking about it...
Old 07-15-2003, 12:15 PM   #10
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> We would need Sean Connery for that. Just imagine, "Ish it shecret? Ish it shafe?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>....which is as bad as when he was giving 'the oschar for the besht actresh in a shupporting role.'<P>Sorry Dimaldaeon, but that whole parody actually sounds seriously funny. There have been a few truly terrible parodies of LotR, but that sounds like a good one.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:23 PM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The parody didn't bother me, it was more how the guys were basically saying that Gandalf got to come back to life because he was 'the white now' that got me. Still, it doesn't bother me much, & I thought the parody was mildly humerous... <p>[ July 16, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
In my view, <I>Dead Ringers</I> is one of the better satirical sketch shows around at the moment. Most of the impressions (Tony Blair and George Bush, for example) are very good, and it's generally well-scripted and up to date.<P>The satire is primarily political, but the point of that sketch was mainly to poke fun at implausible plot twists through the medium of <I>Crimewatch</I>, the punch-line being the implausibility of Dirty Den's return to <I>Eastenders</I>. I don't think that they were too bothered with the niceties of Tolkien-lore (after all, Saruman had the Ring).<P>I must say that I did find it fairly amusing, particularly when Gandalf produced his selection of colours from under his cloak. I also like the ludicrous connection between Gandalf returning to ME and Dirty Den returning to Albert Square. <p>[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 07-15-2003, 09:39 PM   #13
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

Hehehe I think it's funny!
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:04 AM   #14
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've been telling everyone for a long time that Sean Connery could have played Gandalf...
Old 07-16-2003, 11:40 AM   #15
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sean Connery as Gandalf? Hmmm...I don't know....he could work but he'd probably need to be more serious.

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:46 AM   #16
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Oh, he can do serious, really. But just the idea of him going to Orthanc to conshult Sharuman....<P>I'm sorry.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:15 PM   #17
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Pipe

I thought that edition of Dead Ringers was very funny. I'm more of an Alistair MacGowan girl, but you know. 2DTV do the best Bush satire, in my opinion, though.<P>Hehe, I can just imagine Sean Connery as Gandalf!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:50 AM   #18
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, I haven't had a laugh like that for a good while, thank you Finwe!<P>hmmm i'm a bit of a humbug myself and don't enjoy having my LotR messed with so there you have it.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:31 PM   #19
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooooh I like Alistair McGowan too! Not that I actually get to see it often, but there you go... But Gandalf the Tartan... *dies*....*remembers she is already dead* oops...<P>Who is dirty Den? It isn't Dennis is it? I'm sorry, I don't really follow Eastenders, I just watch the odd episode.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:36 PM   #20
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Sting

Ok ok sorry about it wasn't that bad.<BR>It's just that I haven't been on this site for ages (Damn broken internet connection) and i really wanted to post about something. I saw something that ticked me off a bit and so I posted. Ah well dead ringers isn't all that bad <P>My oh my dosen't hindsight make you feel like a jackass

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Old 07-19-2003, 01:07 PM   #21
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Dead Ringers is funny. Especially Tony Blair picking up some old guys ham and going on about weapons of mass destruction. But I agree, Alistar McGowan is hilarious. <BR>As for the parodys, I like them. You've got to take the insults to your favorite movie/book on the chin. I love to take the rag out of the movies, even though I love them really. You know, laughing at Aragorn's greasy hair and Legolas' nancing.<BR> Most parodies are very funny. Have you read 'Lord of the Blings' on stupidring.com? It has some swearing etc, but it is very funny, in my humble opinion.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:01 PM   #22
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Ish it shecret? Ish it shafe?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Brilliant. Truly brilliant! <P>I don't see the problem with people making fun really, I mean it's just a joke! They're making fun of people who think like that as much as the thing itself.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Who is dirty Den? It isn't Dennis is it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Dennis' dad (and Vicky's, and Sharon's). They keep going ON AND ON about him. And now he's coming back from the dead. Hence the mickey-taking. It's Harold Bishop all over again!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:09 PM   #23
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Sting

Damn it why did I post this in the first place. Even i'm starting to like that damnable programme <P>It's that Russel Crowe impression<BR>Maximus: So what is your name?<BR>Mick: Mick<BR>Maximus: Excellent, then I shall call you Mickus. Now Mickus we must fortify these walls in preparation for invasion by Visigoths and Huns. Also we need some aquaducts and a triumphal arch over there. Why is there no triumphal arch?<P>(Clenches teeth)MUST NOT LAUGH

Old 07-20-2003, 02:19 PM   #24
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Saruman: "I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly, but you have elected the way of pain! Am I not mershiful?"
Old 07-21-2003, 11:49 AM   #25
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

Hurrah for the Scots! Sean Connery could have been a great Gandalf! I haven't laughed this much ina while (not since I last visited the Saruman With Crayons). No longer Gandalf the White, why not Gandalf the Plaid?<P>Nehani (of Scottish ancestry)

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:05 PM   #26
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
Sting

::giggles::<P>That was cool. <P>Yeppers, now that Lord of the Rings is popular (and by popular, I mean it is now a regonizable conglomeration of words that any household member will recognize), it will be subject to spoofs. And I like 'em.<P>I wonder if a group will actually take the time, money, and dedication to do a full-fledged LOTR spoof film. If so, I'm SOOOO game. I'll gladly endorse such efforts
Old 07-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #27
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I <I>love</I> parodies! That would have been cute, I think.<P>I might actually prefer Sean Connery to Ian McKellen. <BR>There was a photoshopped picture using Mr. Connery's face somewhere.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:33 PM   #28
Anolduin

I know that almost everyone has commented on it, but the whole "ish it shecret?" thing absolutely cracked me up. I seriously almost fell out of my chair laughing! thanks.