The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting An Orc-some exhibition

Found this article in a newspaper, wish I could go but being on the other side of the world is a bit of a problem <P>"This is the truly orc-some sight that awaits Lord of the Rings fans at London's Science Museum. The venue is hosting a ₤1.2 million exhibition based on the fantasy trilogy.<BR>The magical displays include real costumes, models, weapons and props used in The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King. The ticket-only exhibition sold out in hours when it opened in New Zealand, where the movies were filmed.<BR>London is the only city in Europe to host the show and tickets will go on sale officialy tomorrow. <P>Among more than 650 amazing exhibits is a 16ft troll and a 12ft replica of Treebeard, one of the ents - a race of walking, talking trees. The 10ft-wide troll caused a monster problem when it would not fit through the museum's doors. So staff had to demolish a wall to get it inside. It joins a full-sized elvish boat - complete with a model of warrior Boromir, who was played by Sean Bean on screen.<P>The show - which runs from September 16 until January - will also explain some of the computer wizadry behind the films.<BR>Interactive displays will take visitors to the fantasy world of Middle-Earth. Thay can become hobbits and meet other creatures, including evil orcs. Models of the Tower of Orthanc, Hobbiton Mill and evil Sauron's tower Barad-dûr will be on show.<P>There will also be demonstrations of the ground-breaking special effects used in the Oscar-winning films. Fans can use cutting-edge technology to see how twisted creature Gollum came to life or how the 12,000-strong monster army was born. The horribly realistic 'second-skin' masks worn by actors to bring the monsters like the orcs to life will be displayed.<P>And visitors will also see the hand-craftes weapons used by the beautiful elf Arwen, wizard Gandalf, hero hobbit Frodo and warrior Aragorn, who is played by Viggo Mortensen.<P>For fight fans, the films' mind-boggling battle scenes will be revisited, with twelve sets of armous on show, including one worn by King Theoden, played by Bernard Hill, in The Two Towers.<P>The last film in the ₤200 million trilogy - The Return of the King - is due out on December 17. But many of its props are already in the exhibition - giving fans an exciting glimpse into the saga's final instalment."<p>[ July 07, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 07-08-2003, 02:41 AM   #2
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Wow, that really is something! Now, let's think... how could I get there!? To London I would have to book a flight and the flight takes... 4 hours. Where do I get that money? Do I have to admit that I can't go there?

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-13-2006 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Sweeping party...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:35 AM   #3
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is amazing!!!<BR>I just háve to go!<BR>London is only three hours away, so it shouldn't be a problem...<P>Actually, this is far too exciting for a lotr addict like myself...<P>
Old 07-08-2003, 06:19 AM   #4
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

After hours of trying and 40 minutes on hold I GOT TICKETS!!! Yay! Anyone else going?
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 08:22 AM   #5
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh my gosh Lyra you're so lucky! <BR>The exhibition was meant to be going to Sydney but it never got there... grrr <BR>I doubt it will go there after London, it'll more likely go to the States I suppose
Old 07-08-2003, 11:19 AM   #6
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gah! I'm in Canada! I can't afford to go to London! Arg! *starts praying* Please come to Winnipeg, please come to Winnipeg...<BR>That is so...so...GAH! I wish I could go. That would be so awesome. I am horribly jealous of you, Lyra...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #7
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I wish it would come to Boston or even Providence next. But if it came to NYC that'd be two trips me and my pal would be hiking...
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:07 PM   #8
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*sigh* Do these expos EVER come to the States?

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:26 PM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, that's something I'll definitely go to.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:58 PM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I do have the money, I guess. But I can't afford to spend it to go to London ( from the middle of the US ). It's not like they're giving some of these away for door prizes or anything... . If it comes to the states, I'll definatly go, otherwise I'm afraid not.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:43 AM   #11
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes!!!! That is one hour's drive from where I live...But I don't have tickets yet. My dad says I can go, though, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<P>Does anyone know if there will be any Legolas stuff?? There might not be, I know Orlando got to keep his bow and arrow...<p>[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Elentári ]
Old 07-09-2003, 07:24 AM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Hehe, how convenient for a Londoner like myself. I'm all booked up for the first weekend. <P>Only 20 minutes on hold too, so the telephone queues are slowly abating.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:52 AM   #13
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*sobs* Why does London have to be so far away???!!!<P>Does anyone know if this, or anykind of Tolkien/Cinema Lotr exibits are going to be put on in australia? Nsw???? GOD, PLEASE TELL ME THERE ARE!!!!!!<BR>*breaks into tears*<BR> <BR>~nat~
Old 07-09-2003, 11:23 AM   #14
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw the exhibition (and it sounds like the same one) when I visited New Zealand last February.<P>It was awesome!!!!! I can't talk about it enough. One thing that was a real bummer is that then made you check your cameras, NO PICTURES ALLOWED *sob*. I remember asking if there was a book I could buy on the contents of the collection with pictures and they looked at me like I was insane...Some people just don't understand.<P>Boromir in the boat is way cool, as was the Cave Troll. Treebeard was kinda neat. Tons of armour, swords, bows, and yes there is Legolas stuff. Pretty much everything for every member of the Fellowship and stuff for everyone else (cept Faramir - what's up with that).<P>It took me four hours to get through the whole thing. <P>Have fun!!!
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 05:18 PM   #15
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Only 20 minutes on hold too <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Gah. Bloody TYPICAL.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 07-12-2003, 12:39 PM   #16
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

i am on hold right now! come ooon i *need* those tickets (i am typing 1 handed btw) <P>
Old 07-13-2003, 07:11 AM   #17
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Yes! I finally got tickets! I'm going on September the 20th. So long away! But I'm excited already. Any other BDers going to be there?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:22 AM   #18
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I managed to get an agreement, and even some enthusiasm. We'll be booking tickets soon, and I don't know when we're going, but it won't be that date.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:53 AM   #19
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

woohoo i just moved to enland and i am sooo going WOOHOOO
Old 09-22-2003, 08:10 PM   #20
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

This exhibition opened at the Science Museum in London last week. We went along on Saturday.<P>Having two five year olds and a three year old in tow meant that we could not concentrate on it quite as much as we would have liked. And also, the lack of air conditioning in the museum on an unseasonably hot day made for a stifling atmosphere inside. Nevertheless, it was extremely enjoyable.<P>The exhibition mainly comprises costumes, armour and props (weapons, rings, palantirs etc) from the first two films. Despite having already watched some of the documentaries on the films, I was still incredibly impressed by the amount of detail that went into these items. The costumes were so detailed, down to the numerous white tree and horse emblems emblazoned on the armour of the Gondorians and Rohirrim even though much of it would not be visible on screen. The props too. For example, there are two versions of each of the Nine Rings: the "originals" given by Sauron to the Kings of Men and their shrivelled remnants as worn by the Ringwraiths. There were two crowns for each of them too. Such weird and wonderful items as skulls and other sinister artefacts from Saruman's chamber at Orthanc, Theoden's seal, and even Orcish forks and spoons, were on display. My only gripe was the explanation of the inscription on Arwen's sword which refers to it being something like "suitable protection for a noble lady", while also saying that it was handed down to her by her father who used it at the Last Alliance. Perhaps Agent Elrond used it in Priscilla Queen of the Desert too. <P>There were also models of various of the creatures which featured in the films. Particularly impressive were the Cave Troll, accompanied by a vicious Orc, and a forbidding full sized model of Lurtz, although I for one was glad that there were no Lemming-Hyenas (sorry Wargs ) present.<P>The exhibition was also dotted with video screens with interviews with the actors and production team explaining various aspects of the films, such as how the weapons and armour were made and the use of prosthetics (feet, ears and the like). Much of this is already common knowledge to those of us who have seen the documentaries on the DVD editions, but I did enjoy the explanation of the CGI armies used at the Last Alliance and Helm's Deep and the way that Orcs and Elves were "trained" to fight in different styles.<P>And, of course, it was inevitable that we had the Hobbit-sized photos (on Gandalf's cart) taken. Like most couples, we avoided any argument by both taking a turn as a Hobbit. <P>All in all, a very pleasant few hours despite the stifling atmosphere. Even the kids enjoyed it - well my daughter and her friend certainly did anyway (inevitably our three year old became bored rather early on). Since I have read the Hobbit with my daughter, she recognised quite a few of the characters and races (and in fact, we watched FotR together the next day). And, courtesy of the inevitable gift shop outside (and a bit of bribery involving the promise of a toy for good behaviour in the exhibition), we are now the proud owners of two sets of LotR Top Trumps. I had my eye on the model of Bilbo's Trolls for myself, but had to concede that the £300 cost might be better spent elsewhere. <P>Have any other British (or visiting) Downers managed to make it to the exhibition yet? If so, what were your thoughts?<p>[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 09-23-2003, 01:02 AM   #21
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wait a second, I live in London. Until when is this open?
Old 09-23-2003, 03:36 AM   #22
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

It runs until January, I think, so you have plenty of time. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the films. It's worth booking the tickets in advance to avoid having to queue too much.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:59 AM   #23
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm I live closer to Reading than London myself...but I have the tickets now!!! Wahoo!!! We're going on December 19th, because it's a weekday (and so cheaper) and the day after the end of term. Ahh man, I can't wait!!! Apparently they have Legolas bobble-heads there, but knowing my luck they'll be sold out!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:17 AM   #24
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Apparently they have Legolas bobble-heads there, but knowing my luck they'll be sold out! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you mean the full size cardboard cut-outs, they were selling like hotcakes ... moreso than those of Aragorn. As usual, it was a generational thing with the younger punters (in the main) going for Leggy. Fortunately, I managed to persuade my wife that we did not need a 6ft cardboard cut-out of Viggo!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:22 PM   #25
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

I got my tickets, I'm going this Saturday with my brother. I only live about half an hour away from London, so I'm really looking forward to it, and I feel very lucky that I get to go. What I'm looking forward to most of all is seeing that life sized figure of Boromir that they pushed off the waterfall. But no cameras are aloud (boo!) but that'll be my excuse to buy lots of gifts instead!<P>A quick question for anyone who's been. When you booked your tickets over the phone (if you did) did you pay by credit card then or do they expect you to pay when you collect your tickets? Because my mum made the phone call and she can't remember what she did! They gave her a number though.<p>[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Brambleburr ]
Old 09-23-2003, 05:58 PM   #26
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Yes, the life size model of Boromir in the elven boat is very impressive - it's so realistic that it is hard to believe that it's not Sean Bean lying there.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> When you booked your tickets over the phone (if you did) did you pay by credit card then or do they expect you to pay when you collect your tickets? Because my mum made the phone call and she can't remember what she did! They gave her a number though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, they will have taken the money by credit card when she made the booking. All you need to do is go to the pre-booked tickets desk in the main entrance of the museum, tell them the number that you have been given and they will hand you the tickets. They will then direct you to the exhibition, which is on the first floor, above the main entrance. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But no cameras are aloud (boo!) but that'll be my excuse to buy lots of gifts instead! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>One thing that disappointed me was that there were no postcards or books with photographs of the items exhibited on sale (well I didn't see them if there were).<P>But I was actually quite glad that cameras were not allowed, because otherwise the exhibits would have been more crowded with people spending a greater amount of time in front of them trying to get that perfect shot.<P>No mobiles are allowed either, and they say no bags, although that was most definately not enforced.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:15 PM   #27
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You are soooo lucky. I live in the U.S. and there's no way I could get to England for it.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:44 PM   #28
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> One thing that disappointed me was that there were no postcards or books with photographs of the items exhibited on sale (well I didn't see them if there were). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was hoping that there would be a brocure or something. Oh well, I'll just have to spend aaaages in there and take it all in.<P>And thanks, Saucepan Man, for clearing up the credit card thing for me. Now I know they won't kick me out or anything.<P>In retrospect, I guess the no cameras rule is a good one. It would be kind of annoying to have them everywhere.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:36 AM   #29
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

I visited the exhibition earlier today, and although the tubes weren't working so we had to walk most of the way back to the train station (*total* nightmare, getting lost in London is never fun) the exhibition itself was great. <BR>My brother and I spent about an hour and a half in there altogether. My personal favorite parts were Boromir-in-a-boat, all the costumes and armor (it was great looking at them close up) and the load of prosthetic ears and feet. The video clips were great too, there was a lot of stuff that I hadn't seen, like Lurtz getting his 10-hour prosthetics done (and snoring very loudly ) and information on computer animation and set design. <BR>My only complaint is that it could have been spaced out a little more, because sometimes it was hard to get a good view and I kept on bumping into people. And we didn't get a hobbit photo done because the line was huuuge.<BR>So afterwards we go to the giftshop, and surprisingly I buy no movie merchandise. I was hoping for something Boromir-like, but all there was was a particularly evil head bobbing thing. Instead I went to the book shop and got 'the return of the shadow' and some John Howe posters. <BR>So all in all, a good day out (but from this day onwards I *hate* the underground with a passion).
Old 09-29-2003, 07:02 AM   #30
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

It was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!
the Forbidden Link
Old 10-23-2003, 04:29 AM   #31
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I went on the first day it was open to the public with my wife and 4 year old son.<P>It was amazing to see the costumes, but I only realised they weren't 'copies' until I saw Aragorn's costume and it mentioned his own running repairs he did on it, and Gimli's costume THAT WAS NOT THERE because it was still being used in filming!!!! (they had another dwarf's costume from the film).<P>The only thing that I didn't look at in great detail were the videos running all around the exhibit. the reason why is that I reckon all of these have been taken from the TT EE dvd (except some of the older ones that I recognised from lotr ee dvd) and I didn't want to spoil my enjoyment this coming November 18th!<P>All in all a brilliant display, but the £3 per hour parking charge outside the museum was a little annoying!!!!<P>ps If you've got a small kid don't bother to do the gandalf cart picture as it doesn't work that well, and the pictures you get are pretty small.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:33 AM   #32
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I'm going next week. Pity I can't take pictures... I was looking forward to posting them for everyone to see. I'll bring back sdome chocolate instead Or some photos of me outside the exhibition place... I could do with some photos of me. I haven't had a photo taken of me in about a decade.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:04 PM   #33
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yoink, i love to be the bearer of good news........<P>IT'S GOING TO THE US!<P>i'm going next wednesday up on the train. is the gift shop good?
Old 10-24-2003, 02:41 AM   #34
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The gift shop's not particularly big. It's not really a shop, just some units against a side wall at the exhibition entrance/exit.<P>it has a lot of the lower end (ie cheaper) merchandise (mouse mats, top trump cards) but has some nice higher end stuff as well (the weta statues etc)<P>I'm sure sean bean's moonlighting and having a nice rest in the elvish boat. it CANNOT be a waxwork dummy!!!!!!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:12 AM   #35
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wish I was going next week, as it's my half-term and I could do with a break from all the coursework I'm loaded with, but I'm going on 19th December. Oh well...<BR>Hmm, did you know the Underground map is topological? I never realised that.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:38 AM   #36
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Im going next week, I can't wait it should be good. By the sounds of it it is!
Old 10-24-2003, 11:45 AM   #37
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wish I had money and that I lived in London and... *sniff* that *sob* I *burst out crying and can't finnish*<P>Living in Northern US stinks!!
Old 10-24-2003, 08:30 PM   #38
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The gift shop's not particularly big. It's not really a shop, just some units against a side wall at the exhibition entrance/exit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But the museum's bookshop (on the floor below the exhibition) is worth visiting. They had the whole HoME series there (something in which most regular bookshops I visit are sadly lacking). I managed to pick up a volume for my collection there.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hmm, did you know the Underground map is topological? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmm, I don't know about that, but I do know (being a regular user) that the Underground is catastrophical. <P>Anyone up for posting their "hobbit scale" photos. I will if you will.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #39
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm sure sean bean's moonlighting and having a nice rest in the elvish boat. it CANNOT be a waxwork dummy!!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'll *swear* that's him sitting in the boat. In one of my movie boats it says that someone on the production team thought that the waxwork was actually Sean Bean, and after it had been lying there for a couple of hours she enquired if 'Sean would like a drink'. I don't blame her though, in fact, I cept hovering about near it, hoping that Sean would suddenly sit up and I could *run* over like lightning.<P>The Underground's topological? Sorry if I sound thick, but what does that mean?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:42 AM   #40
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

I am so jealous of my friend - her school is taking her AND she gets to go in costume for charity... argh!!! At least I get to help her pick out her outfit - she's going as Galadriel
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote