The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Celebdil
Pile O'Bones

Celebdil has just left Hobbiton.
Breaking of the World

Hi all,

My question relates to this passage regarding Aragorn's death:

Quote:
Then a great beauty was revealed in him, so that all who after came there looked on him in wonder; for they saw that the grace of his youth, and the valour of his manhood, and the wisdom and majesty of his age were blended together. And long there he lay, an image of the splendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world.
Does anyone know what is meant by "the breaking of the world". My understanding is that when the "unfaithful" Numenorians sailed to the Undying lands, Eru "broke" the world in two, with one piece being Valinor and the other piece containing M-E. But that quote seems to indicate a second breaking will occur. Does Tolkien write anything about this second breaking? When will it occur and why?
Celebdil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I actually think the meaning of this part is "he looked like the Kings of Men looked before the breaking of the world", so it actually is referring to Númenor. However, I think there still might be more to say about it, but I don't feel competent enough to speculate wider about any other breakings. So I'll wait if anyone else contributes to this thread. I just wanted to add my little bit of knowledge when I could.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, it's obvious that the events that occurred in The Lord of the Rings are antediluvian, so the second breaking of the world obviously refers to the Biblical Flood.

......just kidding.....

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-04-2007 at 08:35 PM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Celebdil
Pile O'Bones

Celebdil has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks Legate,

After reading it again, I think you're right. For some reason it sounded like he lay there for an age or so and then at last the world was broken again. But I think your interpretation makes much more sense. Thanks!
Celebdil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, in the Silmarillion, there are lots of graves that "remained/not remained there until the world was changed" (but this was even before the Breaking of Beleriand), so I think if you have read this, no wonder that the part about Aragorn Elessar implies something similar.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-03-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Thumbs up

This will sound very unproffessional, seeing as I have no idea where I heard this or a viable quote, but in one of the Lost Tales or something, Mandos makes a prophecy that on the day of the Final Battle Morgoth will find the way to break the Door of Night, will fight on the very plains of Valinor itself against every goodie ever made, versus every baddie ever made, and evil will be conquered forever. Turin Turambar will be the one to slay Morgoth, and Feanor will come back from the dead, aid Yavanna in restoring the Two Trees, and all Men and Elves will live together in harmony forever. (The Dwarves will aid in the restoration of Arda, as will the Ents).

But I think Tolkien scrapped this story eventually anyway, so I agree with Legate that it was referring to the pre-Numenor world, not the post-Gondor world.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
That would be the Second Prophecy of Mandos, which survived into the 1937 "Silmarillion", and which I don't think was ever conclusively discarded by the man himself.
mhagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Just a thought if Middle Earth is meant to be the past then the continents are in a completly different shape then what they are now how did they get this way. 6000 years is no where near the time continent drift needs to change the land mass significantly. Perhaps the second breaking caused this?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
mhagain
Wight

It's anybody's guess, but here's a very interesting picture somebody did once:

http://element.ess.ucla.edu/pictures/Middle-Earth.jpg
Old 02-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
The books are not based on the real world, Tolkein has said so.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #11
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That is the most interesting overlay I've ever seen of Middle Earth over Europe and vicinity.

It should be understood that Tolkien said that his legendarium is feigned history of the real world. So it would be more accurate to say that the books are not the real world, but they are certainly based on a non-factual yet still more or less plausible supposed history of the real world.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #12
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagain
That would be the Second Prophecy of Mandos, which survived into the 1937 "Silmarillion", and which I don't think was ever conclusively discarded by the man himself.
Thanks!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
If Middle Earth is not in based in the 'real' world how come Tolkien said we were probably in the sixth or seventh age?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
mhagain
Wight

Middle Earth is most definitely supposed to be the real world. It originated to fill in the gaps in some legends, and establish common ground between them. Even shortly before the time LoTR was written, the primary legendarium (i.e. Silmarillion) had the British Isles formed from the breaking of Beleriand. AElfwine, who was told the Lost Tales, and who survived well into the 1950s (at least) (see the final Ainulindale, for example) was English. And this is not even counting the various definitive statements in Letters (which I don't have to hand and therefore can't directly quote at the moment).

Last edited by mhagain; 02-05-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: word omission
Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
Břicho
Animated Skeleton

Břicho has just left Hobbiton.
That's a really cool map of Europe/Middle Earth, however the Shire seems FAR too much to the south. It seems almost at the same latitude as Rohan.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
mhagain
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Břicho
That's a really cool map of Europe/Middle Earth, however the Shire seems FAR too much to the south. It seems almost at the same latitude as Rohan.
That's a good observation, even allowing for perspective distortion from whatever projection they used for the Europe part of it.

It's still major cool to look at, though...
Old 02-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #17
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yes, the north seems a little bit moved. Nevertheless, it is nice. And after all, who knows if the rotation axis was always diverted? Possibly in the Middle-earth times the North pole was really "on the top".