The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril Horses at Helm's Deep

At the end of the Battle of Helm's Deep, where Theoden and Aragorn charge out with the remaining Rohirrim in the Keep, how do they muster the horses in time? Is there a reason, or am i over-thinking the subject?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I always kind of wondered where they put them during the battle. I am assuming that the horses were hiding in the caves. Although the same thing happens at the Black Gate. Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf, Eomer, Merry, Pippen, Gimli, and one other unknown guy, are all on horses but when the battle truly begins they charge on foot. Where did the horses go?

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Oh yeah! I did notice that at the black gate. Mabey the horses were like Brego in the paths of the dead and ran away. Always a possibility. Or mabey the part where they were riding on horses were in the normal shooting of the movie, but the part where aragorn says "For Frodo" and charges into the swarms of orcs were post-production!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 01-19-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Come to think of it, the horses propably ran away and were never seen again. They had to walk all the way from the black gate to Minas Tirith, which is a bit of a problem when you're on an island created by a catastrophic earthquake. If horses get scared of being in the shadow of the mountain (as Eomer so rightly put it) Morannon would give them a heart attack!
Old 01-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Horses are smarter than Humans. They knew that it was probably smarter to hightail it out of there, after all, <I>they</I> didn't know that there was a Ringbearer who was trying to destroy the One Ring.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I agree that horses are smarter then humans and are most likely to run but I believe that Aragorn told the horses to leave and go back to the city. Horses always know their way home.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
Arod
Animated Skeleton

Arod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arod Send a message via Yahoo to Arod
Sting

When they were at the battle at the black gate, I would think that they let the horses go rather than use them in battle. After all, they were out numbered and more than likely had Frodo not succeeded or the orcs had overtaken them in battle, they would've been destroyed and instead of sending the horses to their most likely doom, they let them go and fought on foot. <P>As for Helm's Deep, I would imagine they had a stable or area in which the horses were kept inside the caves.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

But that's like saying "Alright Horseys, you don't have to fight this one. Just run away home where you will be brutally torchered by orcs and or slaughtered!" But the thought of letting the horses go is sweet