The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tol-in-Gaurhoth LXVIII: A Full Moon Over Innsmouth

"Ah, Innsmouth. What more can I possibly say about our fair city? I get such a sense of history from it, you know. They say we have some of the oldest buildings on the continent here. And even the newer ones, like that Order of Dagon hall, seem to have a sort of ... timelessness about them.

And the people here, well, I've never met a nicer sort. They aren't the easiest to get to know, but once you've been here long enough, nowhere else is nicer.

Over here is the Marsh cannery. It's the only thing keeping this town alive in these modern times. Gods only know why he hasn't moved it to someplace easier to get to, but I'm grateful just the same. Although, we do seem to get lucky with our catch most years. I can't remember the last time we had an honest-to-goodness bad year. Something about the geography of the place seems to bring the fish right to our doorstep, if you know what I mean.

And here's the hotel. Not real busy this time of year, but there's always a few just passing through. Tonight I've counted at least six or eight get off the bus, and not all local boys, either. It's interesting, to say the least.

Hold on a second. I just got an unseasonable chill. Like something stalked over my grave. Alright, let's keep walking.

Well stranger, thanks for talking with me, but it's getting late, and I've got to sleep. My corner's just on the other side of that building. Hopefully I'll see you again sometime."

"Sooner than you would expect, old man."

- from the last conversation of McCaber, town drunk and general layabout.

NIGHT ONE BEGINS. DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD YET.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
A new day dawned over the decaying city. Hakon and Brinniel watched the red sun rise from the ocean. "Just look at that thing. I reckon that's not a good sign." "Nope, not in the least."

Pitchwife, the organ player from a foreign land (Carcassone? Caracas? something like that...) walked over to the church doors. A new sign was nailed to them. Kitanna pulled it down and began to read.

"We stand in judgment on your whole city. We know what you are, and how to stop you. And you will not know us until we strike you down." Signed only with a series of four claw marks. The full moon still hangs in the sky, and a shiver runs down the villagers' necks.

"It seems there's a company of werewolves around here," said the Saucepan Man. "I've only ever seen one of them before, and it gave me weeks of inspiration." Lolsolte, not having that connection to the macabre, wasn't ready to believe it. Nogrod, however, saw the truth in the artist's words. "Such things as werewolves are theoretically possible. In my studies I've noticed several inconsistencies about the moon which might have an amplified effect when ... " Inziladun cut him off. "Now, I don't know about theoreticallys or amplifieds, but I knows bad when I sees it. It's clear these things don't like us, and I mean to set them straight." "But how do we know if this is a serious threat?" Roa asked. "For all we know, they could simply be new mutation of the local ecology, and one we're well equipped to handle."

The argument continued, until Craydon1 dashed into the square, a panicked look on his face. "The blood, the clawing, the [sounds of gibbering, losing sanity] ... That way!" Immediately Morsul the Dark and wilwarin ran off in the direction he indicated. They found Nerwen looking at a large pile of small, red chunks. "Hm. It seems something in this town has bigger teeth than my uncles'. What happened?" After they had explained the situation, Legate was the one who put it together. "Judging by the size of the footprints, the bloody handprints, and his head on a stick around the corner, it's probably McCaber." A Little Green said a few words, before they commended the "body" to the ocean.

It was clear what they had to do. Someone wants to kill, and they're about to get some Innsmouth justice.

Lairen Shadow finally realized that the girl Nienna was only watching the sky. "What's wrong, child?" she asked. The only reply she got was a little tear before Nienna ran and hid.

The Dead:
McCaber, town drunk and general layabout [mod]

The Living:
Inziladun, fisherman
Pitchwife, heretical organist
Loslote, humble seamstress
Hakon, Innsmouth denizen
wilwa, Innsmouth denizen
Nogrod, student of alternate cosmologies
Saucepan Man, disturbed and disturbing artist
Roa, Innsmouth physician (with everything that entails)
Craydon1, penniless drifter
Nienna, "innocent" child and meteorologist
Nerwen, last scion of a decadent dynasty
Legate, displaced scholar of the Pnakotic Shards
A Little Green, blind ex-soldier
Morsul, quiet librarian
Kitanna, Innsmouth denizen
Lairen Shadow, Innsmouth denizen
Brinn, Innsmouth denizen

DAY ONE HAS BEGUN. YOU MAY NOW POST.

Last edited by McCaber; 10-13-2009 at 01:12 PM.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Ai! Ai!
  • Mighty Cthulhu arsing imperiously from the depths of the ocean to crush the empires of man.
  • Hordes of Byakhee descending from blood red skies to torment the gibbering wrecks below.
  • The bewildering angles and unnerving pyramids and domes of the Great City of Celeano.
  • Tentacles slithering in the shadows of the forest as the dread Black Goat of the Woods stirs in her slumber.
  • The mind numbing sight of Lost R’lyeh rising from the waves.
  • The madness inspired by dreams of Azathoth.
These things I have seen, experienced, painted. But Werewolves …? Who ever heard of such a thing? In Innsmouth?

But, who have we here?

Inziladun – I don’t like the look of the scales and webbed fingers. There’s certainly something fishy about him.
Pitchwife – A heretic, yes. But a Werewolf? Well, as far as I know there have been no Werewolves in Innsmouth before, so they’re kind of heretical.
Loslote – Humble? By day maybe. But fanged and hairy by night, quite possibly.
Hakon – Simply a denizen? A man of mystery, more like. Definitely suspicious.
wilwarin – Another denizen? Perhaps that’s two out of the three?
Nogrod – One who studies planets … and moons. Full moons, perhaps?
Roa – A physician? Someone who has knowledge of diseases. Like lyncanthrope, maybe? And wasn’t there something about entrails too …?
Craydon1 – Penniless he may be. But fangless? I wonder.
Nienna – Claims that she’s innocent. That’s a dead give away. Claims to be able to predict the weather too. Aren’t canine beasts known for doing the same?
Nerwen – No wonder that she’s the last scion. All that wolfish night time activity gets in the way of the getting of heirs, I am sure.
Legate – Displaced, eh? Like a Werewolf when in wolf form. No idea what Pnakotic Shards are but they sound sharp. Like claws.
A Little Green – Blind, so clearly relies on her sense of smell. Just like … you guessed it … a wolf.
Morsul – Quiet? But what about after he has locked up the library for the night? Maybe that’s when he gets loud and howly and growly.
Kitanna – Another denizen. Third of the mysterious ones. Third of the Werewolves perhaps?
Lairen Shadow – One more person of mystery. Hmm. Ah, I have it! The Agent no doubt, sent to expose our secrets.
Brinniel – Oh, another denizen. I am out of bad guys. But maybe that’s what she wants me to think ...

On a more serious note, I am expecting everyone to play their full part toDay (and, indeed, every Day). When it comes to voting, we won’t have a lot to go on. But we’ll have even less if people don’t speak up, play their part, make their opinions known. I hereby give warning that I shall not take kindly to those who seek to hide in the quiet shadows of the thread.

So, when I get back, I expect to have lots to review.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
For completeness' sake, let's not forget
The Saucepan Man - disturbed and disturbing. Disturbed by the blood-lust the full moon evokes? And I find this comment rather disturbing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
I don’t like the look of the scales and webbed fingers. There’s certainly something fishy about him.
Surely you must be aware, Mr Sauce, that in this town scales and webbed fingers are a mark of respectable descent, and fishy is actually a synonym for 'trustworthy'? Or do you prefer fur and claws?
His concluding words, however, are reasonable enough, if a little forceful from the mouth of an introvert aesthete.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Who are these interlopers? They are more a threat to us than those government men ever were! But never fear, by our efforts the Deep Ones will yet prevail.
As SPM said, this ought to be a team effort. Those not showing themselves for us must be thought to be against us!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm here! And haven't got much to say...or much to comment on. However, I am ready to pitch in to help find out these nefarious werewolves, and the one who aids them...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
For completeness' sake, let's not forget
The Saucepan Man - disturbed and disturbing.
Aye. Disturbed that nearly half of the village has not yet spoken. And disturbing? Yes, I plan on causing much disturbance to the Wolves in our midst.

Back shortly ...
Old 10-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Still, I don't of course cherish the kind of "pop in, vote, disappear" -tactic unless you're really really busy, and I think everyone should contribute as much as they can. Some people just have less to say (like me), a briefer way of phrasing their thoughts, or less time on their hands. Those, I think, should not be reasons for not taking kindly to people. Making no effort, on the other hand, should.
Now that's pretty well spoken, and true indeed. There is a difference between adhering to a particular style, and being a non-entity that slips quietly through the cracks.
Seems folks are getting a bit more lively, or at least lively for us. I like the trend.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A lot of the early posts were "Day 1, bleh" or "DL isn't good for me Day 1 or Day 2" or "Good list Spm". For the most part not much other than "hey I'm here" posts. Which is fine.

A Little Green mentions all that I just did in her first post (post #11). Still Greenie does provide something to go on other than the afore mentioned posts. After her first two posts it seems the conversation turns away from usual Day 1 jabber into some more substantial.

Legate comes in next, commenting on what's been said so far. At this point he takes somewhat of a wait and see attitude, wanting to give those who haven't appeared a chance to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife
As for the loud/quiet-debate - of course everyone should make an effort to participate to the fullest, but exactly how much everybody's fullest amounts to may and does vary from person to person. It's difficult to distinguish between a naturally quiet citizen, somebody distracted by menial duties, and a lurking wolf; in case of doubt, content should be considered as much as word count.
Greenie brought this point up as well about the loud/quiet thing. Inziladun later comments on this as well. Personally, I think it's easier to tell if someone is quiet as a playing style or quiet to hide guilt after Day 2, but that's just how I've seen it in the past.

Wilwa makes a point here that I'm inclined to agree with and yet wonder about at the same time:
Quote:
But Day 1s are sooo useful on Day 2s, therefore we should all help ourselves out and post anyway, even if we have nothing to say or add. Just so that toMorrow we'll have something on everyone!
Now she makes a good point about how useful all these posts will be on Day 2. However, she calls for people to make noise and if some players have nothing to add than it'll be just white noise (adding absolutely nothing substantial for Day 2). Wilwa does this herself by stating how Day 1 is hectic and random, a well established fact at this point. Wilwa acknowledges this as stating the obvious, which adds white noise. That makes me wonder.

Later Wilwa defends this from Nogrod:
Quote:
I was simply making a point that no one can make the excuse "I didn't post cause I had nothing new to add". I posted and had nothing new to add, therefore everyone can. Something useless is still better then nothing at all.
I'm not sure if I agree with that. It's good to post at least once before voting, but I don't think it's such a good idea to say next to nothing. Of course it's really a Catch-22.

In Post 31 the first vote is cast for Nienna by Morsul. I know he's inexperienced, but I'm baffled by his choice.

Back to Wilwa:
Quote:
If it's even possible people should try to avoid paying too close attention to what the vote tally is, just focus on who you want to vote for and don't let others' votes influence yours (unless of course you're voting someone because of their vote).
I think she has some sound advice trying not to look at vote counts. Of course I doubt many will actually do this, but I think that's a decent idea.

In general comments (because I'm falling asleep): I think Craydon puts forth an interesting idea, though I fail to see it as practical.
Morsul's vote, confused at best. Nienna's response to it, justified. The situation, amusing.
Hakon votes for Inziladun, mmmm. Granted Hakon had to vote early, but voting based on games past seems a bit dodgy.
Like Hakon, Loslote and Craydon had to vote early, but I can't find any reasoning for their votes.
(sorry these last comments are rushed)

I have some more comments to make and few more players to bring up, but I would like to review some posts with a clear head before saying anything else.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
On a more serious note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon
Also on a side note, I think SPM is a wolf. There is no way he is an ordinary innocent. I mean he is back now after being gone for years, it makes perfect sense to give him some kind of non ordinary innocent role so he can show off his apparently awesome skills at werewolf.
Just because a well-known player hasn't played for awhile does not make him a wolf. For example, Formy joined one of the games I modded, playing for the first time in approximately two years. Yet he was no more than an ordo. You don't know how the mod picks roles; often it's completely random. It's also the same sort of rule that just because someone was a wolf in last game doesn't mean they won't be in this one (I was once a wolf three times in a row). Sometimes it can be tempting to go off meta-reasoning, but it's generally a bad idea and much smarter to actually suspect based on behaviour. And that's how it should be done.

As for the latest two votes... While I can understand the need to vote early, why give no reason? Loslote at least gives some analysis beforehand, but still it's not conclusive. Even if it does happen to be a random vote, at least state so instead of leaving us wondering why.

I don't know if I'll post anymore tonight but while I won't be getting up too early, I should be around for the last hour of the Day. So while you can't expect any wordy analyses from me, I will hopefully be around long enough to get a better read on everyone and make a proper vote.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #11
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Quote:
What else would I mean? And what a strange comment. I am not quite sure what to make of it, but I will be keeping an eye on you.
Your strange comment would be this one(bolded for easy reading)

Quote:
On a more serious note, I am expecting everyone to play their full part toDay (and, indeed, every Day). When it comes to voting, we won’t have a lot to go on. But we’ll have even less if people don’t speak up, play their part, make their opinions known. I hereby give warning that I shall not take kindly to those who seek to hide in the quiet shadows of the thread.
This strikes me. I know in context it could be "play our parts as good villagers and find the wolves" but at the same time I took it as a sort of signal. Like the Agent to his wolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Also on a side note, I think SPM is a wolf. There is no way he is an ordinary innocent. I mean he is back now after being gone for years, it makes perfect sense to give him some kind of non ordinary innocent role so he can show off his apparently awesome skills at werewolf.
I know its been said but this is...not the greatest reasoning. While sure he could have a role, why would it have to be a wolf? This could a wolf's backhanded way of throwing off suspicion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Of course not. However, the way they respond would help somewhat. A wolf would have a different mentality approaching the question than an ordo. An ordo would usually imagine what their role would do (and probably have a bit of fun with it) whereas a wolf would try to distract the reader with, well, distracting things.
What distracting things? Why would a wolf make their sentence more distracting? Wouldn't they want it to be perfectly normal? I could write a whole long descriptive paragraph about what I was doing that could say absolutely nothing. It could be very distracting, but I'm innocent so that means nothing.

If we are going to go with this idea of what we were doing the night before: I was curled up in bed reading a book.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Vote count!:

Morsul --> Nienna
Hakon
--> Inzil
Loslote
--> Pitch
Crayon
--> Inzil(2)

Inzil 2, Nienna and Pitch 1.

A list!

Inzil: Doesn't set off any alarms.

Pitchwife: Seems innocent to me.

Loslote: Not newbie right? Interesting comment about distracting narratives...maybe sniffing out wolves? Or not. Needs watching.

Hakon: The comment about SPM, now that I realize taken in with his, could be signaling to each other. Not good. Don't have a good feeling about him at all.

Wilwa: She has good points and is optimistic, we should keep her around.

Nog: Seems like typical Nog. I have no idea if that means he's innocent or guilty.

SPM: Needs watching. I find him suspicious for reasons in my last post. Not saying should go after toDay, but he does deserve watching.

Roa: Seems pretty innocent.

Crayon: Newbie. Newbie pass.

Nienna: Pretty innocent looking.

Nerwen: No read.

Legate: Not setting off any alarms.

Greenie: Interesting things to say, not suspicious.

Morsul: Newbie to werewolf? Gets newbie pass.

Kitanna: Nothing much at all.

Brinn: Thinks everyone is a wolf. Paranoid, needs watching.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #13
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, I am here, back from my studies of the Pnakotic Manuscripts. Most interesting things I have uncovered there this time. Did you happen to know that the cannibal Gnopkekhs, before they descended from the fearful plateau of Leng, did...

Whatever, oh, yes. The Werewolves. Okay, here be my thoughts on people up to now...

SpM seems actually very nice and active. Okay, now "nice" can be seen as a derogatory term, but it's not how I mean it now. Supported by the fact that I haven't played with him for a long time, it's very likely that I won't be voting for him toDay at least.

Morsul (does that mean Black Wind? Wonderful, I guess it's fitting here) the Dark is new around here. (Morsul - the Mod of course never reveals or hints at the identity of the WWs. And that goes for everything. I.e. if the Mod posts that somebody found the dead body, somebody came running from behind a corner etc. it's no indication to the people's roles. All this work is for us, the narrations are only narrations. The important information is always only who was killed, what was his role, or other things that might have happened related to the real - not narrational - roles.)
Morsul does not seem any suspicious to me, he just needs to get into the game. For certain, anyway, I am not going to vote him on the first Day, as this is his first game.

Noggoth is more or less his usual self, maybe a bit more, how to say it, ruthless in his attempts to initiate some events in the game, but then, he speaks sensibly a lot and also, let's see what he posts now.

Speaking of him, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Why wouldn't you do it Wilwa?

And I actually mean it whatever your role is. If you get lynched early because of what you say but thus help us others to spot a wolf you'll be a hero. So be brave and open your mind! Why can't you?
And so why didn't YOU do that, Noggoth, since you were so keen on staring some actual debate?

I don't feel any suspicious about A Little Green Star-Shaped Stone, at least not this far.

Maybe one I feel rather uneasy about right now is Pitchwife. It is some things he says, and the general tone of his posting. But I would probably need to re-check what he said and also see if he posts more in the future.

I really like Craydon on first sight, the idea of asking people questions or stuff like that is very nice and shows that he means well with this village (ahem...). I am not sure if asking the question you suggested would be worth anything important, but anyway the thought itself is good and mainly, like I said, it's an indication of involvement rather than trying to flow with the stream, down to the mouths of the ocean where the worms feed on the dead bodies. Whatever.

wilwa tries to argue with Nog, or so to say, respond to him, well, I think I see her point, though it's hard to say if she is speaking genuinely or not. Not particularly suspicious or anything, but not any innocent-looking either.

Hakon at first pops in and does nothing - okay, I see, might be busy, but it will be nice to see more in the future, will ye, Hakon? *scary gaze* Oh but okay, he posts more later... but then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Surely this is no reasoning here! And the mods often assign their roles randomly. And even if they didn't, they won't tell us. That would be unfair. It's called meta-game reasoning. We seem to be having too much of that around here this time already, thank you.
Anyway, I am a bit unnerved by Hakon, actually. And the reason for his vote is just plain... well, evil (okay, the word's meaning out of the context of this village). Though I still well remember how he was lynched last time innocent on Day 1... And I can imagine even an innocent Hakon to vote in such a, well, rude manner.

I do not have any particular feeling about Loslote.

Nerwen looks more or less okay, at least trying to do something.

I am slightly worried of Inzil, too. But nothing in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I hope you don't presume the wolves among us would be honest?
Of course they won't, but that's the point. The reaction is the point, not the answer. It's a difference for somebody when he has to lie.

As for Lari, I actually don't see anything suspicious about her, and seems actually quite good to me (even with that SpM comment, which is something I can see as reasonable, not saying that I agree with it, but I can see an innocent posting that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
I do not appreciate being voted for based on these terrible reasons... and on being 'nice'. I don't mind if people actually legitimately finding me suspicious and then voting for me... that is the game... I understand as long as there are reasons.
Of course Morsul's vote for Nienna has no real substance, but then why are you so overreacting, Nienna? You behave as if half of the village was after you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni
Craydon (can I start calling you Crayon? Please? That is what I read every time I see your name... hehe) seems like the only person suggesting something interesting though I don't believe it will produce any wolves.
Now that was just hilarious We don't need to produce any Wolves, I think, thank you, we probably have enough just as it is...

Roa, looks Roa, but nothing special to base my thoughts on about her yet.

Kit also, nothing special, nothing suspicious this far.

Brinn - okay, what was THAT first post, some sort of madness. Okay, normal in this village, actually. Anyway, but as for the serious part, I can't get any proper read on her at least yet.

Okay, but is that it? I hope so. Anyway, I guess that's from me now, I will probably pop up yet before the DL, and then probably in the last instance around it to vote.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote