The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2003, 11:32 AM   #1
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting Why do so many people think Miranda Otto is NOT attractive?

Mebbi it's just my friends (I'm really gettin fed up with my old friends /sigh) but they think Miranda is butt ugly. What are your ideas? I think she is totally beautiful, and she's a strong woman, in the movie and in real life, wich I love. /shrug
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Different people have different tastes. That's pretty much what it comes down to. Something totally beautiful in your eyes could be hideous to another person. For example, Sam cooks up those coneys in TTT and thinks it's the greatest thing in the world, yet Gollum says they've been "ruined". Just a matter of personal preferance. <P>I'm sure you could find enough people who think Miranda Otto is gorgeous if you looked. I, for one, think she is amazingly beautiful. She's not one of those people who have perfect teeth or a perfect face, but those things give her more character and make her unique. I definitely think she is very pretty.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> they think Miranda is butt ugly <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Well, I hate to think what they made of Gollum then ...<P>Do they get out much, these friends of yours?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:43 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Miranda looks great, I guess all those people think Liv Tyler is the best looking person in the world
Old 02-04-2003, 09:27 PM   #5
Andephelien
Pile O'Bones

Andephelien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Eowen is much prettier, but im a girl, so what can i say
Andephelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:11 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Maybe it's because they're used to seeing women in movies who have more of the plastic-perfect look to them (the sort of look where a simple freckle is a major blemish). I seriously doubt they'd turn up their noses at someone like Miss Otto if they met her in real life (or if they did, they'd have some really off-the-charts standards). Liv Tyler has more of the plastic-perfect look to her.<P>Personally, I think Miranda Otto was a great choice; she looks like someone who could conceivably have grown up in royal but still comparatively rough-hewn circumstances, and grown up to be beautiful, but not the kind of beautiful which requires the work of six plastic surgeons and a $600 hairstylist.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:57 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hallelujah! Preach it, sister!
Old 02-04-2003, 11:30 PM   #8
LHUNBELETHIEL

Sting

Miranda is a beautiful lady and a great actress. I think she actually has a brain in her head, too which makes her extra fabulous.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:40 PM   #9
Konarmi
Pile O'Bones

Konarmi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

she's a great actress... I'll give her that.. but as a sexy symbol. Hardly.
Konarmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:04 AM   #10
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You friends have no taste. Miranda is beautiful.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:27 AM   #11
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought she was just fine other then those Bug Eyed looks she would give,like when Aragorn didnt return after the Warg attack on the way to Helms deep or when Grima came on to her.But thats i guess more Peter Jackson asking that of her then anything.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:44 AM   #12
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

She looks even fitter wit her hair curled. Anyone know of any other movies she was in?

Old 02-05-2003, 06:10 AM   #13
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> she actually has a brain in her head <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>And quite a substantial one, it must be. Have you seen the size of her forehead? If she just headbutts the Witch-King in ROTK, she's not even going to need Merry's help! <P>All in all, I'd say that Miranda Otto is not unattractive, but I don't think she is as pretty as Éowyn should be. Cate Blanchett would have suited the role perfectly. Unfortunately she was also a perfect Galadriel.<P>If you can think of an actress with a slightly smaller forehead, maybe you'd like to post <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001594" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:11 AM   #14
Calavanya
Pile O'Bones

Calavanya has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't know why they don't like her, she's a beautiful woman, good actress, and I must say, maybe some won't like it, but I like her accent.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:17 AM   #15
Calavanya
Pile O'Bones

Calavanya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Plus, I don't think Eowyn's supposed to be a sex symbol. She's a woman warrior and Miranda Otto gave her the looks. Her forehead? What about it? large foreheads are usually considered elegant and intellectual. They used to shave their heads in Middle Century to have larger foreheads, but, I must say, they ended looking pretty much like Gollum. She's natural looks, there are no leather corsets, silicone boobs and lips and heavy make up in Middle Earth.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:21 AM   #16
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Ringfenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think Miranda Otto is stunning.<BR>She's beautiful in a very unique way, and as has already been said she's not a perfectly modelled plastic hollywood actress, (thank god).<BR>she has a very human beauty, with unique features and'blemishes', unlike the 'perfect' symmetrical beauty of the elves. To me this is much more attractive (speaking only as another girl). Also she seems to fit in well, as her looks are rather saxon, and therefore suit the community pj has created for Rohan.<P>*I just reread what i wrote. my god! I sound like an english teacher! Please forgive me!<P>it's funny but at some angles miranda otto looks exactly like an older version of one of my friends. Wierd!
Old 02-05-2003, 07:51 AM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

'Scuse me. The question posed in this thread is why people find Miranda Otto is <B>not</B> attractive, ie unattractive, and Cibbwen's friends apparently described her as butt ugly.<P>Now of course she may not have super-model looks (good thing too), and of course tastes vary. But unattractive? Butt ugly? That's just way off the mark.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:48 AM   #18
Aredhelaran
Animated Skeleton

Aredhelaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She's very attractive, if you ask me
Aredhelaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 10:54 AM   #19
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

She is hot, and thats that, much nicer than Liv Tyler!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:54 AM   #20
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well when I was younger it was not uncommon to call people butt-ugly, if only only for the simple reason that it was fun to say butt-ugly. So, taking into consideration the probable maturity level of those that made the comment, it was probably a taunt to you, a slow mind's inability to articulate what they really feel, or a veiled compliment. At least they didn't call her fugly...
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:19 PM   #21
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Or pug-fugly......<P>She looks like she's supposed to. She looks 'old-fashioned' beautiful, if you know what I mean.<P>And the whole glamourised, Hollywood style of looks is not, and should not, be in this film. So I think she looks great, very foxy, but Arwen is more stunning, like an Elf would be.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #22
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

She's absolutely BEAUTIFUL! People today can't see real beauty, hers is real, not fake with all the glittery makeup in Hollywood. She is gorgeous, she doesn't need elaborate costume and makeup to look beautiful, and she's perfect for the part of Eowyn. I kinda repeated myself, I know, but I really like Miranda Otto, she's better than Liv Tyler.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #23
Aredhelaran
Animated Skeleton

Aredhelaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Liv Tyler is pretty, but Miranda is pretty too. you can't compare the two, because they are different kinds of beauty.
Aredhelaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:38 PM   #24
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

It's a matter of taste, and, as we say in Russia, you can't have an argument about taste.<P>Some people like high foreheads, some people don't. Some people can't conceive of a woman as being attractive unless she is sporting melons the size of Mike Tyson's ego, some enjoy a more Twiggy-esque physique, and some are in-between somewhere, and so on and so forth.<P>What I do like about Miranda Otto (aside from the fact that I bear more than a passing resemblance to her), is the fact that her portrayal of Eowyn is clear evidence that Peter Jackson did not fall into the trash-fantasy trap; you know what I'm talking about: some half naked, clearly surgically enhanced enchantress with tacky furs on her shoulders, a female version of Conan the Barbarian to satisfy the fantasies of pimply adolescent boys. *whew*
Old 02-06-2003, 04:50 PM   #25
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

I know <I>exactly</I> what you speak of, Lush. Working at a library with a sizable Fantasy/Sci-Fi section, I see an abundance of cover art in which the heroines are ridiculous, sporting little bits of leather and torn fur and looking like Chyna. Standing on a snowy mountain cliff, no less.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:32 PM   #26
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Hehe. Reminds me of the maidens sporting chainmail bikinis that used to regularly adorn the cover of White Dwarf (RPG) magazine (and maybe still do for all I know). But you're right, that <B>would not</B> have been Eowyn.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:01 PM   #27
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How about ANYTHING by Boris Valejo?? His stuff has the power to make many a "pimply faced adolescent" buy a novel or calendar.<P>Even further off-topic now, did anyone see Cate Blanchett at the Golden Globes? I don't know how she could even see through all that makeup. I think all the actresses in LotR look good due to the lack of tons of 'face-paint'. Orlando's makeup, on the other hand, was visible in more than one of his close-ups. <p>[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:18 PM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Boris Valejo <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's the chap! I have a book of his artwork somewhere ... ulp ... I was into fantasy art, you understand ... it was a phase I was going through ... er ... <P>
Old 02-06-2003, 10:53 PM   #29
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

This is starting to sound like a confessional! <P>Oh, well, we may have to hold our breath for Dernhelm. Disguised as a male or not, PJ might succumb to temptation and tear up her clothes on the battlefield, a la Padmé in the Arena.<P>What, you don't think he would? He might, you know.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:04 PM   #30
Arpinor Romenel

Silmaril

How cud 1 even fathom Miranda Otto as ugly? if she was seriously ugly, she wouldn't have been picked for Eowyn. Has any1 here seen the moovie 'What Lies Beneath?' Miranda's in that.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #31
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Aw, come on Diamond, Jackson's not perfect, but he's not, *gulp*, George Lucas. Even if he did tear up her clothes a little, I'm sure that would only benefit the character by, you know, "unleashing" her wild femininity on the Witch King, *snort*.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:46 AM   #32
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

Éowyn: "I am a woman!"<P>Witch-king: "And how!"<P>Naw, I don't really think PJ would do that. Being in a particularily evil mood I wanted to unleash one of those paranoia rumors. A la "OMG, did you <I>hear</I> what PJ's gonna do in the next movie? " <P>
Old 02-07-2003, 09:30 PM   #33
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

Nah, I can't really see it happening (as much fun as it would be to start that rumor ). PJ has his weaknesses, but exposing a lot of unnecessary flesh doesn't seem to be one of them; notice how in the Arwen scenes, the most risque thing we see is when she's wearing - gasp! - a LOW-CUT gown. Besides, if Eowyn is dressed like the other riders of Rohan, tearing up that mail-and-leather outfit would take a lot of work, even for the Witch-King.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:58 PM   #34
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Eye

Does anyone remember Maid Marion from the English TV series Robin of Sherwood? Man, that was a cool TV programme...<P>Maid Marion had the same down to earth looks and presentation that Éowyn is given in the movies (great job by costume and makeup there by the way, Ngila Dickson is the greatest talent on set). But she was SO much more attractive than Miranda!! <P>Simply wearing no makeup doesn't automatically make you beautiful. If you want to make it into a feminist or anti-Hollywood rally, then you're content to ignore what either Liv Tyler or Miranda Otto really look like. Poor old Liv is being called unattractive because she is wearing makeup. Have all the Liv-haters out there forgotten that she is the most elven looking actress on the face of the planet? Even in interviews she has the ethereal quality that the role of Arwen would have failed without, and if makeup helps that then so be it.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #35
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Doug-Cate Blanchett! Have you seen her nose? <P>Seriosuly, Miranada Otto is one of the most naturally beautiful women of the planet. She is a lot more attractive then Jennifer Lopez or Britney Spears and judging from her interviews, she seems to be a genuinley funny and nice person.

Old 02-08-2003, 11:04 PM   #36
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

Wow, I didn't even *notice* her forehead when I saw the movie. I'll look harder next time .<P>Doug, I think it's just taste. I mentioned "plastic-perfect" in my previous post but it wasn't meant as a dis at Liv Tyler - first of all, she wasn't exactly laden with makeup, secondly, I sure wouldn't scream in objection if I woke up one day looking like her. But she does look much more taken-care-of than Eowyn should; smooth skin, not a hair out of place, etc, which is appropriate for an Elf. This just isn't realistic in a human woman who's living in a fairly rustic society and who later on is doing a lot of heavy lifting, evacuating people etc.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:04 PM   #37
Cibbwin
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

Lol, thanks for your replies everyone. I ususally wouldn't care, except one of my friends, one who is a total LoTR freak and is making me a cloak, agreed with the petty friends, and that really shocked me. Heh.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:05 PM   #38
Cibbwin
Wight

Sting

And I won't deny, Liv is really pretty, a perfect elf, and I do prefer dark women. It just annoyed me /shrug
Old 02-09-2003, 01:07 PM   #39
Cibbwin
Wight

Sting

One more thing: I'm a pimply adolescent boy, and I wanna see a women weilding a halberd in a Breastplate and a Platemail skirt! Kinda like the Helm's deep elves wore. /grin
Old 02-10-2003, 05:45 AM   #40
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

The Eye

<B>YEEAH!!</B> Nice and honest and brutal. The perfect antidote to all the sickly sweet political correctness on this thread. Kalimac, you must be right - it <I>is</I> a matter of taste, and no objective winner can be reached. I realised that when I saw:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Miranada Otto is one of the most naturally beautiful women of the planet. She is a lot more attractive then Jennifer Lopez or Britney Spears <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I hesitate to cast aspersions on anyone's hormonal levels, but I honestly wonder if you'll feel the same way in five years? I think Barliman said it best:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> There's no accounting for East and West. Meaning the Rangers and the Shire-folk, begging your pardon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>