The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Favourite Part of Unfinished Tales?

What's yours? Mine is the Istari chapter.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
I like Galadriel and Celeborn, but then I'm a total junkie for the more speculative side of Tolkien's writings.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:35 AM   #3
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
It is difficult to choose but I think my choice is also the Istari, followed closely by the Druedain. Tuor is pretty interesting too.
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I love Hurins mockery of Morgoth "Blind ye are..."
Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I always enjoyed the essays a lot, but my favourite definitely is The Hunt for the Ring, it offers so many interesting pieces of information that help you get a much clearer view on the events that took place in the beginning of the war
Old 02-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Since I am one of the Tolkien fans who loves the world of Middle Earth as a whole over the major storylines, Unfinished Tales is especially beloved to me.. I know its fascination is dependent on having read the "Finished" works but it answers so many unanswered questions that the appendices could not - or more accurately offers answers since the nature of it means that they cannot be taken as definitive. So hard to choose - I love getting Gandalf's view of the Quest of Erebor, more information on the disaster of the Gladden Fields, the Lords of Dol Amroth, Numenore ..I couold more or less list the index - however the Tale of Aldarion and Erendis is perhaps what I would go for.... far more passion than the whole of the Lord of the Rings and a psychologically accurate study of a disintegrating relationship.... tree loving heir to the throne hitches up with beautiful but neurotic and wilful woman .....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

My favorite part is contained within Galadriel and Celeborn, when Tolkien explains Boromir's courageous journey from Minas Tirith to Rivendell a little more than we get in the narrative of the story.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
...however the Tale of Aldarion and Erendis is perhaps what I would go for.... far more passion than the whole of the Lord of the Rings and a psychologically accurate study of a disintegrating relationship.... tree loving heir to the throne hitches up with beautiful but neurotic and wilful woman .....
And reminds me of a tale that exists in my own surroundings. Aldarion and Erendis touched me deeply, and though set in a myth, has a lot of significance. It made me cry, the first (and so far last) of its genre to do so.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Hurin! In fact, Hurin's is one of the best stories Tolkien ever told, I believe.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Drùedain and Istari. Wow!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
however the Tale of Aldarion and Erendis is perhaps what I would go for.... far more passion than the whole of the Lord of the Rings and a psychologically accurate study of a disintegrating relationship.... tree loving heir to the throne hitches up with beautiful but neurotic and wilful woman .....
I was also impressed by the very human touch of this story. It's a shame Tolkien never gained enough focus to finish it. This is certainly not "fantasy", just great (although very scetchy) literature.

The tale of Tuor* is also a favourite of mine and the prose, bordering on lyric, is absolutely wonderful. Once again, it's a real shame he didn't finish it.

*edit.

Last edited by skip spence; 02-22-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Mixed up names
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Tuor and Gondolin. I just love anything to do with Goldolin and I find the various Gates fascinating.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
The part about Cirion and Eorl. That was really helpful to me as it helped fill in the missing pieces in the history of the Northmen of Rhovanion and their descendants. From here I found that the Eotheod were founded by the last prince of the Northmen, and thus the Kings of Rohan can claim descent from the Kings of Rhovanion.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
ArathornJax
Haunting Spirit

ArathornJax has just left Hobbiton.
chapters that I liked . . .

I really enjoyed the Hunt for the Ring because it almost tells the story from the point of view of the Nazgul chasing the ring. Wouldn't it be cool to have a transcribed or written account by the Witch-King and Khamul on chasing after the ring.

I also enjoy reading the Quest for Erebor since it was The Hobbit that turned me on to Middle Earth.
ArathornJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, since I originally bought the book specifically to read the essay on the Istari, I guess I would have to say... (drum roll)... the Istari. What a surprise!

However, I do enjoy much of the rest of the book, quite nearly as well. Except for the parts about Hurin and family. That is one heck of a depressing story....
Old 02-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
the parts about Hurin and family. That is one heck of a depressing story....
So is the Tuor tale, really. He just doesn't describe as many of the bad parts. The whole House of Hador (especially Galdo's descendants) suffer so much.

Come to think of it, so is Aldarion and Erndis.

Actually, all of the works of ME are a bit depressing (dimishing knowledge, power, people, good, etc.), except maybe for Tom Bombadil. All this time I've been reading books by a depressing author
Old 02-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Children of Hurin has long reminded me of a strange cross between Oedipus and Elric of Melnibone (possible only in the hindsight of when UT was first published, since Elric obviously was written after Tolkien wrote his first drafts of the Hurin tale, and I doubt very much that either author was any influence on the other). At lot of Tolkien's tales are like a lot of classic mythology in general -- not too many light and happy tales out there, when you stop to think about it (awe-inspiring, perhaps, like the Ainulindale, but not light-hearted). Which is appropriate, since myths, I think, often come about to explain and give meaning to what seem like the eternal burdens and difficulties and mysteries of life.

I imagine that given the "weight" of Tolkien's tales, it explains why, when I first read LotR as a child, I liked the hobbits, as I became an adult, I was fascinated by Aragorn, and now that I'm "over the hill," I'm intrigued by the Ainur. First the (comparatively) child-like, then the heroic, and then the angelic. Sheesh, I feel like I'm sticking one foot in the grave, here... Not ready for that by a long shot.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #18
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
Sheesh, I feel like I'm sticking one foot in the grave, here... Not ready for that by a long shot.
Maybe Mandos, perhaps.
Sorry

But as you say, most legends are powerful, full of evil, suffering, but also heroics and brave deeds. They're about people confronting the evil, the bad thigs that happen to them and in life. I sound a bit too happy here I think, like someone commentinng on the moral of a story

Last edited by Eönwë; 02-24-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Tuor, the anti-Turin. Everything Turin does, Tuor does as well, only differently.

He deserves his own thread.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:42 AM   #20
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
yes, yes, mithalwen, Aldarion and Erendis was such a good sketch, wasn't it? The subtitle was even catchy. The Shadow of the Shadow. Funny how something as trifle as the divorce of the Heir and his wife should help bring the shadow of the Shadow.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #21
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Battles for the Fords of Isen, Cirion and Eorl, & Disaster in the Gladden Fields all helped flesh out parts of the Lord of the Rings story. But the most touching was Aldarion and Erendis where it showed that all marital unions in Middle Earth are not the fairy tale sorts. This tale had me thinking of other marriages mentioned where no depth was ever discussed ... Arvedui & Firiel, Arathorn & Gaelrian, Faramir & Eowyn, and even Aragorn & Arwen. I mean, imagine the "discussion" when Aragorn tells Arwen he has decided to lay down his life. We get a glimpse of it, but still...
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #22
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

There are any number of the tales that are interesting and
bear rereading. Tuor's is quite enlightening but also
frustrating...with the tale ending just as he enters
Gondolin. His journey there has so many neat bits:
his "chance" meeting with the two elves, his meeting
with (Ulmo?), and his almost encounter with Turin.
A continuation of the tale with his encounters with
Maeglin and "Escape from Gondolin!" would have been
fascinating.

But then again there's the great elucidating on the Rohirrim
organization and the Battles of the Fords of Isen.
And the runup to TH "An Unexpected Party" with Gandalf's
difficulty with Thorin.

Also one other bit, it strikes me that the way JRRT presents
both sides plusses and minuses in the Erendis/Aldarion
disfunctional relationship is not unlike the various arguments
for elves, men, dwarves (and a hobbit) to the treasure of
Erebor after the slaying of Smaug.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #23
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I agree with Snowdog, Eldarion and Erendis is an awesome tale. As to character development, it is probably Tolkien's best. Reading other stories it would seem that Men in Tolkien World were as "holy" as Elves in "domestic matters". Well now we know they were not. *feels relieved*
I especially like Erendis's words:
Quote:
Men in Numenor are half-Elves (said Erendis), especially the high men; they are neither the one nor the other. The long life that they were granted deceives them, and they dally in the world, children in mind, until age finds them – and then many only forsake play out of doors for play in their houses. They turn their play into great matters and great matters into play. They would be craftsmen and loremasters and heroes all at once; and women to them are but fires on the hearth – for others to tend, until they are tired of play in the evening. All things were made for their service: hills are for quarries, river to furnish water or to turn wheels, trees for boards, women for their body's need, or if fair to adorn their table and hearth; and children to be teased when nothing else is to do – but they would as soon play with their hounds' whelps. To all they are gracious and kind, merry as larks in the morning (if the sun shines); for they are never wrathful if they can avoid it. Men should be gay, they hold, generous as the rich, giving away what they do not need. Anger they show only when they become aware, suddenly, that there are other wills in the world beside their own. Then they will be as ruthless as the seawind if anything dare to withstand them.
I would have loved to see the LOTR Numenoreans a bit more like the above - and not so holy and wooden as Aragorn and Faramir.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #24
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think part of the reason for the stifness in Aragorn's case is that as a result of being raised in Rivendell he was probably raised in the manner of an elf child and so aquired a very elvish way of behaving. Had Elrond not extended his protect and had Aragon been raised among the rangers, he might have turned out as boisterous and lusty as Boromir. As for Faramir, I think the constant need for his father's approval is what led to his overly formal way, he was too afraid to trangress to be at ease.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #25
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
It could be construed as irony that the person with the least Numenorean blood Boromir, acted the most like the Numenoreans described by Erendis unlike say Farimir or Aragorn where their Numenoreaness was apparently pure.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #26
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
It could be construed as irony that the person with the least Numenorean blood Boromir, acted the most like the Numenoreans described by Erendis unlike say Farimir or Aragorn where their Numenoreaness was apparently pure.
Numenoreans were divided into 2 groups soon after the events described in "Aldarion and Erendis." Aragorn and Faramir typify the Faithful. I think Boromir reminds me of Aldarion, not evil, but more inclined toward that path.
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #27
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I like Alfirin's answer to that (see above)

Basically both Aragorn and Faramir were Gandalf's pupils, the former, in addition, was brought up among Elves. I would say Aragorn was rather "atypical" Numenorean. Denethor and Boromir anf even Faramir were the typical ones - only, contrary to Tar-Aldarion, brought up in times of war and peril.

Of course, even among Numenoreans of Numenor there were several varieties:

I. Wise, peaceful, bookish lore-masters: Vardamir Nolimon, Tar-Elendil (sire of the Lords of Andunie), Aldarion's father Tar-Meneldur, Tar-Minastir, and the last of them - Tar-Palantir.

II. Proud, ruthless king-warrior type soon became predominating : Tar-Aldarion, then a female variety of it: Tar-Ancalime and likely Tar-Telperien, then most certainly Tar-Ciryatan (who even constrained his father to retire early), Tar-Atanamir (like his father proud and greedy of wealth), Tar-Calmacil, Ar-Adûnakhôr, Ar-Gimilzôr and Ar-Pharazôn.

III. And with time there appeared a third type - irresponsible lazy-bones, mostly occupied with pursuit of their little personal hobbies.
I think Tar-Telemmaitë (the mithril-lover) was the first one of those and his daugther Tar-Vanimeldë was the finest example of this attitude: "She gave little heed to ruling, loving rather music and dance; and the power was wielded by her husband Herucalmo" (this one of the 2st type, I bet). Some later Kings that left very little line in the Annales may have been of this ilk as well.

And - an interesting thing- in the history of Gondor we see these three types all over again.
Elendil (I type), Isildur (II), Anarion (I-?) Meneldil (II), Tarannon Falastur (II). Hyarmendacil I (II). Atanatar II Alcarin ‘the Glorious' was the first of the lazy-bones (III), Narmacil I (III). Minalcar-Rómendacil, a great king and politician, was maybe of the I type, not the II, as he used political measures in preference to force. And Eärnur the last King was clearly of the II type.

Maybe type I and II go back to Elrond and Elros respectively (of the latter we unfortunately know little). Yet I guess, unlike Elrond, he was of the second type - a great proud ruler, who wanted power and glory here and now, who forsook immortality for the crown and lordship. His brother was content to become a herald of Gil-Galad, but Elros wanted more.

Of course, Faramir was of the first variety and Boromir of the second. Denethor is a more difficult case. I have a suspicion that born in the first variety, more alike to Faramir, he had schooled himself to act like he was of the second. That may have brought an additional mental strain on him throughout his life. But Denethor believed that in times of war the second type was more needed.

As for Aragorn, he is so "Elvish" in his ways that I really fail to classify him. Maybe he was like Denethor - the first variety guy, but quite modified. Maybe he was of the second variety, with its drawbacks softened by the Elvish schooling.

Last edited by Gordis; 03-25-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #28
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Well personally, I love the Unfinished Tales, because they tell you all the stuff you alwyays wanted to know, except the really mysterious stuff (like Tom Bombadil).

And the Numenor bits show that however adavanced you are you still have problems. And that you can still be turned evil (with the right persuasion, or if you happen to have an evil demi-god you captured in prison and then make him your advisor).
The only criticism I can give about the Numenor parts is that though don't show enough of Valandil (The first of the faithful). He is more important (really) than many of the kings.

Last edited by Eönwë; 04-12-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: F.u.l.l. s.t.o.p.s.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #29
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Also there is a bit which explains that the dwarves helped save Middle-Earth much more than it states in the book, and were almost as important as the others infighting off the evil (except that their battles were much further in the North)

Last edited by Eönwë; 04-21-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #30
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
I agree with Snowdog, Eldarion and Erendis is an awesome tale. As to character development, it is probably Tolkien's best. Reading other stories it would seem that Men in Tolkien World were as "holy" as Elves in "domestic matters". Well now we know they were not. *feels relieved*
I especially like Erendis's words:

I would have loved to see the LOTR Numenoreans a bit more like the above - and not so holy and wooden as Aragorn and Faramir.
Yes, I think some of the Numenorean royal domestic reality could have been developed into both characters, but being limited in scope, I understand why it wasn't pursued as part of lotR. Of course, when Faramir is mentioning the Men of the West... one could wonder if some of the traits had passed on.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I still love the thing I mentioned before but I have developed a new appreciation of the "Battles of the Fords of Isen" since I have lately taken more interest in the Rohirrim.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #32
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
The little bit in Galadriel and Celeborn that deals with Amroth and Nimrodel.

But also ...
Quote:
Eldarion and Erendis is an awesome tale.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #33
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
For some reason, the history of Galadriel and Celeborn. The part where Celebrimbor gets killed
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #34
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
This is weird, I only picked up this book again last night for the first time in 3yrs. I either forgot or didn't read it right the last time, but last night I realised that some of The Druedain went to Numenor also. They all left before The End, stating that the earth did not feel right beneath their feet.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:24 AM   #35
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
I love Hurins mockery of Morgoth "Blind ye are..."
Ahhh how can I forget that part? Children of Húrin is my favourite side-story. I think Tuor is far too hard to relate to, not to mention terribly unrealistic.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #36
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
It has got to be The Istari.................however i do quite like The Quest of Erebor.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #37
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
My favorite part of Unfinished Tales? I am not sure. I'll let you know once it is finished.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #38
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
My favorite part of Unfinished Tales? I am not sure. I'll let you know once it is finished.
Funny, Morthoron. Somehow, your statement sounded a little morbid...I'm not sure why.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #39
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
My favourite moment is the meeting between Ulmo and Tuor. I love all that Ulmo has to say to Tuor at this moment, that he Ulmo is a voice that gainsayeth among his brethren, that Tuor should not ask why he was chosen. I love the wording and would quote directly if I had the book with me.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #40
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwen View Post
My favourite moment is the meeting between Ulmo and Tuor. I love all that Ulmo has to say to Tuor at this moment, that he Ulmo is a voice that gainsayeth among his brethren, that Tuor should not ask why he was chosen. I love the wording and would quote directly if I had the book with me.
I have to second that. Well, surprise. Personally, I really like Tuor and his tale is just beautiful anyway, even its descriptive parts, like the description of Cirith Ninniach, Tuor's vision granted to him by Ulmo, and other things... I think the way the water is portrayed in the story is exceptionally beautiful in general, which is, of course, fitting for this particular tale. And Ulmo is just great there, he is truly "the voice that gainsayeth" - unwilling to part ways with the Children in Middle-Earth, even though his more rigid brothers (and sisters) are not maintaining any sort of communication and not willing to break the bane.

But aside from this, there are many other parts I really like in the UT, and it is difficult to pick some. Be it some things in the story of Celeborn and Galadriel, in the tale of Túrin the sorrow of Mim (but now it's in the CoH, so maybe it doesn't count so much), the Quest of Erebor, or some things in the Istari chapter... maybe if I was supposed to point out just one more thing, I would mention the part of the Hunt for the Ring describing the encounter of the Black Riders with Saruman in Isengard. It is just on the level of the strongest narrative moments in LotR. My favourite, though, is one of the versions of it, where Saruman, in terror of the Riders, just narrowly misses the chance to repent and ask Gandalf's help (which he would have surely granted him, as we learn from later on in TT!). I mean - imagine how little would have been enough to alter the history of Middle-Earth so dramatically; the way it is written there, it is just so close - and so emotional, I can see Saruman's flight in dread up the stairway in Orthanc, only to find the spire empty and see a great eagle slowly disappearing in the distance... Just amazing.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote